Martin broken bone out at least 6 weeks

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Martin broken bone out at least 6 weeks

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:30 pm

Boyle
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:38 pm

Gaucho wrote:Tomas Kaberle on waivers. :pop:

Spoiler:
no

I'd do it just cause he was a former Bruin that won a cup with them
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:42 pm

If Kaberle were a UFA after this season I'd say why not. With one more year left, not worth it even if he'd be a "free" pick-up.

I think the D depth they have is fine. They should be able to get through a first round series without needing Martin.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Beveridge on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:45 pm

Yeah. Shero isn't going to touch anyone, I think, that isn't a ufa at season's end if he is going to make a move for someone.

However, with no injuries, I'm ok with orpik letang eaton nisky murray and despres as our 6 dmen while Martin is out.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby saints11 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:45 pm

NHL GM's hide your women and children; Shero could be looking for a defenseman.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:46 pm

We do NOT need to make a trade to bring in a defensemen. The price on D is just way too high for us. Just look at what we had to give up for Murray.

Letang will be back very soon, and Martin will be back in the playoffs. We will be fine.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Krom on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:46 pm

This means Despres stays in the lineup. Hopefully Letang is back in another week. Engelland has experience and, if needed, Reese is having a good season in the AHL. They'll be fine.

They may mean he could be out "as long as 6 weeks". Something tells me Martin wants to get back ASAP.
Krom
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Beveridge on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:47 pm

saints11 wrote:NHL GM's hide your women and children; Shero could be looking for a defenseman.

Streit is a captain and a dman. He has to be top target right?
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JoseCuervo on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:47 pm

brwi wrote:
Fire0nice228 wrote:Thank God, Martin sucks and is the worse player on the Pens

Spoiler:
posts from 2012

Well, he did play terrible in 2012 and all the criticism he got was deserved, frankly. That's also why he was approached in the off-season by RS and asked if maybe he wanted to go somewhere else. I credit Martin for getting committed and improving his conditioning and effort this year and becoming the player that the Pens thought they were acquiring in the first place, but that doesn't mean he didn't suck last year and didn't have a compete level of a scrub.

He was far from terrible, but he was definitely under performing for his actual level (see this year and NJ). While he wasn't playing to his level, he was still one of the better dmen on the team last year.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Luckybreak on Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:03 pm

Is the 'Blue Jersey Curse' retroactive to Martin's injury?!
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:09 pm

Leopold would ave been a good temp but Despres is too.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby neophool on Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:40 pm

iWonTheCup87 wrote:it doesnt say what he broke does anyone know what bone it is?

It was his bone meat.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pugilist13 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:42 pm

Leopold sucks. This is why Shero carries 8/9 D men.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pugilist13 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:51 pm

iWonTheCup87 wrote:
Admin wrote:
iWonTheCup87 wrote:it doesnt say what he broke does anyone know what bone it is?

Top secret bone.

how did i miss that one? lol :lol:

On a serious note, looked like it's above the wrist. Ulna/radius?
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jwest21 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:55 pm

Dear Pens...stop getting hurt. Thanks.
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:28 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:
brwi wrote:

Spoiler:
posts from 2012

Well, he did play terrible in 2012 and all the criticism he got was deserved, frankly. That's also why he was approached in the off-season by RS and asked if maybe he wanted to go somewhere else. I credit Martin for getting committed and improving his conditioning and effort this year and becoming the player that the Pens thought they were acquiring in the first place, but that doesn't mean he didn't suck last year and didn't have a compete level of a scrub.

He was far from terrible, but he was definitely under performing for his actual level (see this year and NJ). While he wasn't playing to his level, he was still one of the better dmen on the team last year.

For his cap hit and salary with his performance, yeah, I will stand by the "terrible" comment. He wasn't all that great ever in NJ either, but he was simply poor last year. GM's don't come to you offering to move you elsewhere after the season because you were resembling decent and eating up 5mil. RS saw the same things a lot of fans did last year and I credit Paul Martin for turning it around and he's been a real positive this year, likely his best NHL season since Day 1. I also credit RS for lighting a fire under his backside, something that DB couldn't last season. for whatever reason.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:41 pm

brwi wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:
brwi wrote:

Spoiler:
posts from 2012

For his cap hit and salary with his performance, yeah, I will stand by the "terrible" comment. He wasn't all that great ever in NJ either, but he was simply poor last year. GM's don't come to you offering to move you elsewhere after the season because you were resembling decent and eating up 5mil. RS saw the same things a lot of fans did last year and I credit Paul Martin for turning it around and he's been a real positive this year, likely his best NHL season since Day 1. I also credit RS for lighting a fire under his backside, something that DB couldn't last season. for whatever reason.

Yeah, I guess Shero consistently meets with "one of the best defensemen on the team last year" every summer to ask him if he wants out..... :roll:

If that is true, he will get the same call from Shero this summer as well.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:54 pm

I was delighted when we signed Martinm because he always impressed me while with the Devils.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:22 pm

Don't know how anyone can say Martin didn't have a bad season last year.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jwest21 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:37 pm

DelPen wrote:Leopold would ave been a good temp but Despres is too.

I was surprised what Buffalo got for him
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JoseCuervo on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:42 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
brwi wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:
brwi wrote:

Spoiler:
posts from 2012

Yeah, I guess Shero consistently meets with "one of the best defensemen on the team last year" every summer to ask him if he wants out..... :roll:

How can you misquote me when it is written right above? :lol: I guess reading comprehension is a bit too much to ask for. I never said he was the best defensemen. He was certainly under performing per his contract, but he was still better than michalek, engelland, niskanen, lovejoy, despres, and the other ahl-ers. Letang and Orpik were the only dmen playing better. I guess the coaching staff should have all been fired for giving him the second most TOI last year. Thank god some posters don't run the team.

"Bad" is a relative term. He was playing bad for his contract, and he was playing bad by his own standards - not going to argue against that. Getting a "B" for some would be a bad grade, while it is good for others. Engelland would have been playing well last year if he played like Martin. Martin wasn't as bad as some on this board think last year primarily because they compare his play to his contract, and I don't blame shero at all for asking him if he wanted traded because that 5mil would have been better spent elsewhere (same for Michalek's 4mil). However, his superior play this year is primarily due to just some minor adjustments such as pinching less and being less aggressive, but his stick work and defensive zone positioning are the same. I know some on this board had a vendetta against him last year, but they also have a habit of magnifying negatives. Oh well, they'll stick by it, and this argument will just go over their heads. Apparently Martin has gone from an AHL defensmen for the past 8 years to a top pairing NHL dman. Yay.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:06 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:
brwi wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:
brwi wrote:

How can you misquote me when it is written right above? :lol: I guess reading comprehension is a bit too much to ask for. I never said he was the best defensemen. He was certainly under performing per his contract, but he was still better than michalek, engelland, niskanen, lovejoy, despres, and the other ahl-ers. Letang and Orpik were the only dmen playing better. I guess the coaching staff should have all been fired for giving him the second most TOI last year. Thank god some posters don't run the team.

"Bad" is a relative term. He was playing bad for his contract, and he was playing bad by his own standards - not going to argue against that. Getting a "B" for some would be a bad grade, while it is good for others. Engelland would have been playing well last year if he played like Martin. Martin wasn't as bad as some on this board think last year primarily because they compare his play to his contract, and I don't blame shero at all for asking him if he wanted traded because that 5mil would have been better spent elsewhere (same for Michalek's 4mil). However, his superior play this year is primarily due to just some minor adjustments such as pinching less and being less aggressive, but his stick work and defensive zone positioning are the same. I know some on this board had a vendetta against him last year, but they also have a habit of magnifying negatives. Oh well, they'll stick by it, and this argument will just go over their heads. Apparently Martin has gone from an AHL defensmen for the past 8 years to a top pairing NHL dman. Yay.

:?: I don't even know where to start. So much poetic license. I'll give you that you said one of the better instead of one of the best. Doesn't really change anything, but there you go.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Froggy on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:07 pm

DelPen wrote:Don't know how anyone can say Martin didn't have a bad season last year.

martin had a terrible 1st half of the season. he was actually really damn good the 2nd half of the season until the whole team just decided to stop playing defense
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:10 pm

It's amazing how much better the D "is", since the forwards started paying attention to whether they were pinching in.
Funny how that works.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby shmenguin on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:23 pm

niskanen was better than martin last year. i get the protected minutes thing, but it doesn't change what happened when each of them were on the ice. i wouldn't say martin was conclusively better than michalek either.

defending his play from last year is weird.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins