Ray Shero is a bold and daring genius

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Ray Shero is a bold and daring genius

Postby Pitts on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:25 am

This is a very nice article about what Shero has become (due to Hossa) and exactly how the cap works. It explains how the Pens, even after Morrow, Murray and Iginla, can still add $15 mil in player cap:

http://thehockeywriters.com/how-is-the- ... compliant/
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Ray Shero is a bold and daring genius

Postby BigMcK on Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:31 pm

While other GM's were working on their golf game, Shero was studying how to work the game of NHL business. There's time to play after the season's work is done.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PghSkins on Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:57 pm

Pitts wrote:It explains how the Pens, even after Morrow, Murray and Iginla, can still add $15 mil in player cap:

ALL YOUR PLAYER ARE BELONG TO US
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:41 pm

I am convinced that Feaster came back to Shero for a better deal, bluffing with the Bruins scratches noted as the deal to match but Shero, with Morrow and Murray already in the bag was able to say "take it or leave it".

Had he not already acted decisively in getting two veteran player additions, he may have felt more pressure to get Iginla.

It sounds like he had him no matter what, but he won an even better deal by being able to say "no" with a clear head. Another master class in how to work at the trade deadline.

Hanowski did have a goal and an assist in St. Cloud's win at the NCAA playoffs.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ranci on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:20 am

PghSkins wrote:
Pitts wrote:It explains how the Pens, even after Morrow, Murray and Iginla, can still add $15 mil in player cap:

ALL YOUR PLAYER ARE BELONG TO US
lol
ranci
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Location: Fleury didn't lose the game. He just made it almost impossible for the Penguins to win it.

Postby wondermoose on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:24 am

I don't know, what with our shortage of play-making centers we could have used Hanowski and Agostino.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:46 am

wondermoose wrote:I don't know, what with our shortage of play-making centers we could have used Hanowski and Agostino.

Well we did give up maybe our two best offensive prospects outside Bennett. But that is more an indictment on how bad our offensive depth is outside Pittsburgh.

But we essentially gave up Morrow, Agostino, Hanowski, a 1st and 2 2nd's for Morrow, Murray and Iginla. That's just crazy.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:11 am

wondermoose wrote:I don't know, what with our shortage of play-making centers we could have used Hanowski and Agostino.

I'll give it another decade before I start worrying about that.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby relantel on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:11 am

Good article. Also explains the willingness to get expiring contracts. And the unlikely chance of any being on next year's opening day roster.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slipshod on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:42 pm

The general consensus for this years team earlier this year was that the Pens needed a physical D-man and a top 6 forward. Then Kunitz and Dupes and Bennett made most of us say, "we're good on top 6. Bottom 6 depth would be nice." Shero gets Morrow for 2nd line duty but I think he was thinking he would fit in nicely for 3rd line (all of his interviews about Morrow he kept saying "Top 9"). Then he gets the physical D-man we almost all agreed was needed, then for fun gets the top 6 winger we didn't really NEED but what the hell? It's Jerome Iginla. Who can pass up on that right?

The only thing I can figure is that somehow Shero is able to set the computer AI to "easy" on trades or he is in fact The Hypnotoad in disguise.

Lets not forget picking up Eaton who has been VERY good.

Not everything has been perfect. Tangradi didn't work out but that's the nature of prospects. Boychuck, same thing. But really, that is just nitpicking.
slipshod
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby slipshod on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:45 pm

Ray Shero is on videophone line one.

Click. "Hello..."

slipshod
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby sil on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:26 pm

Joke re: Hanowski and Agostino?

Both are natural wingers, Hanowski more in the B. Morrow/Malone mold, and Agostino more in the Ryan Callahan mold. Neither are high-end skilled "playmakers." With Bennett and Blueger in the system, we still have developing playmaking talent.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:25 pm

Overlooked is that Colligan says Shero has another trade brewing, in his opinion. The man is well-connected and very informative. I wonder who he thinks Shero will target? Defense to fill in for Martin? 4th line penalty killer? Another scorer to role three lines?? We'll see his prediction in the morning, I suppose.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:49 pm

Kobasew and O'Byrne :)
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:14 pm

DelPen wrote:

Well we did give up maybe our two best offensive prospects outside Bennett. But that is more an indictment on how bad our offensive depth is outside Pittsburgh.

But we essentially gave up Morrow, Agostino, Hanowski, a 1st and 2 2nd's for Morrow, Murray and Iginla. That's just crazy.

Eh. IMO Blueger and Archibald were/are both better college prospects anyway.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby no name on Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:05 pm

I am not going to go as far as saying Shero is a genius. He pretty much got a call from 2 GMs saying. We gave (Morrow\Iginla) thier choice of any team in the league to go to and he choose the Pens. Any deal that includes blank will be concidered let us know if your intested.

With their no trade no movement clauses they could call their own shot. Shero said it wasn't him who brought these players here. Its Geno and Sid and a winning team that made them want to be with the pens.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:16 pm

no name wrote:I am not going to go as far as saying Shero is a genius. He pretty much got a call from 2 GMs saying. We gave (Morrow\Iginla) thier choice of any team in the league to go to and he choose the Pens. Any deal that includes blank will be concidered let us know if your intested.

With their no trade no movement clauses they could call their own shot. Shero said it wasn't him who brought these players here. Its Geno and Sid and a winning team that made them want to be with the pens.

Somehow I don't think either trade went down that way. Call it a hunch, but I doubt an NHL GM would tell a team "our player will only go to you, so please rob us blind." On the contrary, Shero stood firm with his offer for Iginla even after seeing that Boston had scratched two prospects who are/were much better than Agostino and Hanowski.

Shero may not be a genius, but he's certainly a very shrewd and savvy GM.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins