Game 36 vs. Isles - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 36 vs. Isles - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Gaucho on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:41 am

IMFC wrote:
Gaucho wrote:It wasn't vicious or anything, but it was a check from behind.

*shrug*

They both go to hit each other shoulder to shoulder, but Baily leans forward a little so gets hit SLIGHTLY on the back side of his shoulder. Very similar to defenders that go chip the puck and twist their back to a forechecker. It happens so fast there is really no way for Kunitz to react - he clearly is bracing himself for the oncoming hit. Baily can't just wussy out there or he gets hurt, which he did.

I guess we have to agree to disagree.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:49 am

Looking at the slow motion GIF, Kunitz takes his eyes off of Bailey to look at the puck on his left side and doesn't see Bailey turn. He lined up shoulder to shoulder and Bailey is the one who put himself in a vulnerable position. Bailey also lifts Kunitzs stick up which causes what looks like a shove.

You can't hold Kunitz accountable for Bailey being an idiot.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:54 am

At this point, I'm over the call. It actually led to the team stepping up (or at least Matt Cooke) and saying "we're not going down this way" and putting forth that extra effort that was necessary to win without 2 of your top players.

I will be super pissed if Kunitz gets suspended though.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TrueNorth on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:01 am

What impressed me the most about this game was the team’s compete level, the never-say-die attitude in the face of adversity. Not that this surprised me. After all, we have seen this kind of tenacity many times before, but I thought yesterday’s game was a particularly striking example of it.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DocEmrick on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:04 am

the wicked child wrote:At this point, I'm over the call. It actually led to the team stepping up (or at least Matt Cooke) and saying "we're not going down this way" and putting forth that extra effort that was necessary to win without 2 of your top players.

I will be super pissed if Kunitz gets suspended though.

It definitely ended up helping the team in the long run of the game. After the 5 minute PK you just knew that the game wouldn't be lost.

The NHL shouldn't even review it, they will though and nothing will come of it. Even the talking heads on the NHLN are wondering why he got a game misconduct right now.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:06 am

Gaucho wrote:Sorry, but I don't know how anyone could or would argue with the call.

It was a penalty for sure, but I think there's a reasonable doubt that Cooney thought Bailey was going to turn left and it would have been shoulder on shoulder.

So my thought is five minute major - yes, supplimental discipline - no

But that's just me, Shanny has his own 'lens' that he see's these things through.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby relantel on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:06 am

At most a review would rescind the game misconduct
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:09 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:So my thought is five minute major - yes, supplimental discipline - no

Agreed.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:25 am

There is no way Bailey does not know Kunitz is there. In fact, you can argue that he is dropping his shoulder to initiate contact with Kunitz - and his stick movement, coming up from under to lift Kunitz's stick is proof that this was the case.

Kunitz just beat him to the punch in terms of initiating.

That call was made because Bailey was weak enough on his skates and dumb enough to be unprepared for the contact.

I'll accept a "it looked so bad we need to make a call" minor. Braydon Coburn would not agree with that call though.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shakes on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:34 am

The Snapshot wrote:There is no way Bailey does not know Kunitz is there. In fact, you can argue that he is dropping his shoulder to initiate contact with Kunitz - and his stick movement, coming up from under to lift Kunitz's stick is proof that this was the case.

Kunitz just beat him to the punch in terms of initiating.

That call was made because Bailey was weak enough on his skates and dumb enough to be unprepared for the contact.

I'll accept a "it looked so bad we need to make a call" minor. Braydon Coburn would not agree with that call though.

Agree with all of this, and I know there's some hair-splitting, but this is pretty much the consensus I think. That it probably shouldn't have been a 5 and a game, and that it certainly shouldn't draw a suspension.

Which makes it even funnier to go back and listen to the Isles announcers' take on this play, the Pens' fans, and the reffing in general.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:39 am

Yeah, I'm sure we'd all be totally embarrassed to go on a 5 minute PP if the roles were reversed.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:41 am

The Snapshot wrote:Braydon Coburn would not agree with that call though.

That's your 'benchmark'?

Kind setting the bar at the lowest possible point aren't you? :) :pop:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby blackjack68 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:50 am

I think Murray gets lost in the shuffle. Played a solid game. A physical beast.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DocEmrick on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:53 am

blackjack68 wrote:I think Murray gets lost in the shuffle. Played a solid game. A physical beast.

His zone clears remind me of Hal Gill so much.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:55 am

DocEmrick wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:I think Murray gets lost in the shuffle. Played a solid game. A physical beast.

His zone clears remind me of Hal Gill so much.

Totally agree doc, he reminds of Gill with some Ulf and Kjell mixed in.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Orlando Penguin on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:56 am

There's no f-ing way that should have been a major. It was a major and a game because of the way Bailey went into the boards. If that's in open ice, play will continue. And if that **** Shanahan didn't look at the Flyers hit on Dupuis last week, then he'd better not be looking at this one either. Penalties like this one and the hit on Dupuis last week show the gross inconsistency and/or incompetency in the referee ranks in the NHL.
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shakes on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:57 am

Yeah, he's like a smaller, nastier Gill. I like what he brings, and I think the team has a meaner identity, which was sorely needed.

They out hit the Isles 30-12, and you could see everyone starting to get in on it. Malkin ended Moulson in the 3rd.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:05 pm

goaltending. that is all.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sniper on Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:31 pm

-The Kunitz hit should have been no more than a 2 minute penalty. Bailey completely bought everything after impact. He wasn't hurt. He immediately lifts his head after hitting the ice to see if the ref called it and then grabs at his face. Takes a second peak to see what's going on behind him and then continues to lay there. After the game his coach said he was ok. Shocking.

-Matt Cooke played a great game as did Vokoun....obviously.

-It seemed to me that missing Martin and Letang really hurt the transition game, not to mention the power play. Hopefully Letang can get back soon to help out there.

-Mark Eaton still doesn't know what it feels like to lose.

-Murray and Morrow seem to be settling in to the system better. Iginla looked lost for much of the first period. Give it 2 or 3 more games and I think that line will be one of the best in the league. I really think they should consider adding Iginla's right handed shot to the power play. Not sure who comes off though.

-Sid, hope he is ok. The team will survive without him for a few weeks if necessary, but I'd feel bad for him if another fluke injury cost him another scoring title and MVP. He deserves both. I know he cares more about winning the Cup, but still in a historical sense it hurts.

-9 goals against in the last 11 games. WOW!! At the beginning of this streak they were giving up 3 goals per game on the season that ranked them around 23rd to 25th. They are currently the 4th best defensive team in the league. Wow!! That is impressive. Crazy impressive.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:39 pm

sniper wrote:I really think they should consider adding Iginla's right handed shot to the power play.

He will be. The guy got there 12 hours before the game.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:09 pm

I usually make it to one game every year or two. In my life, I've been to 11 games in person, dating back to 1997, when I was 14. Yesterday was the first time I felt proud to be part of a crowd watching a penguins game. I've never felt that much energy coming from the stands. The place went nuts when Cooke and Co. killed that 5-on-3. Just great!
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:11 pm

Btw, I heart the way Murray plays.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby relantel on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:13 pm

sil wrote:I usually make it to one game every year or two. In my life, I've been to 11 games in person, dating back to 1997, when I was 14. Yesterday was the first time I felt proud to be part of a crowd watching a penguins game. I've never felt that much energy coming from the stands. The place went nuts when Cooke and Co. killed that 5-on-3. Just great!

Sounds like the 7 min kill vs the Flyers 6 seasons ago or so,
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:26 pm

sil wrote:Btw, I heart the way Murray plays.

the guy is a beast, just pure, brutal strength!!

He made a couple clears in front on the PP that may have saved goals. A simple shove that sent Moulson flying and down to the ice. It's what we've been lacking.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby silentom on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:38 pm

Efforts like that from players like Cooke is what wins playoff games. Kudos Cookie!
silentom
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins