Crosby is getting oral surgery

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Crosby is getting oral surgery

Postby Dan H on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:55 pm

JeffDFD wrote:
PhantomJB93 wrote:So I see people with "sources" saying he has a broken jaw, and other people with "sources" saying it's just teeth and he'll be fine within a week. This is getting eerily similar to the concussion fiasco. Ugh.

The tumor from his neck moved to his jaw.

Source: My profile location

It's not a toomah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaTO8_KNcuo
Dan H
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penmyst on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:57 pm

Beveridge wrote:Why does Sid need to miss any time? Wear a protective guard for the face and have at it.

Have you ever had a broken jaw?

If it's anything more than a minor case, every single jolt to your body would cause searing pain. That would require heavy doping, and you can't play hockey when doped up. Just because we could get back to our burger-flipping jobs or litter-picking community service while on the mend doesn't mean a professional athlete in a very physical game could.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TPW on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:57 pm

slipshod wrote:Rothlisburger busted his whole face on a car and had the whole thing reconstructed and he shook it off and played that same season and football players are ******* compared to hockey players. (though Ben is a tough son of a ***** and probably could have been a hockey player... but still.) I say Sid misses 2 weeks tops if any time at all.

He didn't look right most of that season, and was seemingly more susceptible to injury.
TPW
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Bioshock on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:01 pm

Chris Adamski ‏@BuzzsawPGH

Sidney Crosby's agent indicates an update on 87 is coming today

There ya go for anyone who needs news. You will get it as some point today.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Admin on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:01 pm

Rick. Tocchet.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby columbia on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:03 pm

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper 6m

#87update. Can confirm #Penguins Crosby had surgery yesterday to his jaw. Extent of the damage still being evaluated 2day. Out indefinitely
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:05 pm

penmyst wrote:... Just because we could get back to our burger-flipping jobs or litter-picking community service while on the mend doesn't mean a professional athlete in a very physical game could.

Excuse me, would you like fries with that? :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Rocco on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:08 pm

I think it comes down to pain tolerance. I'm fine with Sid taking a few games to heal.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bioshock on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:11 pm

Sure am glad we loaded up on talent and leadership. Gonna need it with 87 out. That room will be fine with Tomas, Iggy, Morrow, Geno, Orpik, Neal and Sutter leading the charge.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:11 pm

columbia wrote:

#87update. Can confirm #Penguins Crosby had surgery yesterday to his jaw. Extent of the damage still being evaluated 2day. Out indefinitely

... which could still mean anything. Sometimes, you need jaw surgery to remove a wisdom tooth, etc. Still doesn't say what, if anything, is wrong.

Saying he's out indefinitely, without knowing the extent of the damage, is basically another way of saying "We don't know what's wrong, but we're saying he's out to appease the lowest common denominator." Really terrible "journalism".
Last edited by MRandall25 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jonesi on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:12 pm

columbia wrote:

Hope he's not out indefinitely....
Jonesi

Postby Bioshock on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:17 pm

Indefinite is just another word for saying they don't know. Could play Tuesday for all you know. I will wait for his agent to say something.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nihar on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:19 pm

@RobRossi_Trib: #TribHKY update on Crosby: He is likely to miss some time after surgery, but likely to be ready for playoffs. #pens #nhl
Nihar
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:20 pm

No ****, Rossi.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Trip McNeely on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:21 pm

Nihar wrote:@RobRossi_Trib: #TribHKY update on Crosby: He is likely to miss some time after surgery, but likely to be ready for playoffs. #pens #nhl

Thanks Rob for the great insight. Either he had his teeth put back into place and wil be back in a few days or he has a broken jaw and is out no more than 4 weeks. Great reporting
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BfromD on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:26 pm

BREAKING: Preview of Rossi's next tweet::

"Crosby is likely to play again as soon as he is able. He is also likely to retire when his career is over. We are all likely to die someday."
BfromD
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:27 pm

BfromD wrote:BREAKING: Preview of Rossi's next tweet::

"Crosby is likely to play again as soon as he is able. He is also likely to retire when his career is over. We are all likely to die someday."

"Also, grass is green, clear sky is blue."
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BfromD on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:28 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
BfromD wrote:BREAKING: Preview of Rossi's next tweet::

"Also, grass is green, clear sky is blue."

Grass is LIKELY green... Can't commit to anything. That would be imprudent reporting.
BfromD
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:29 pm

This streak or Crosby not winning the scoring title are not worth getting bet out of shape over. Get healthy Sid. Then destroy everyone :)
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bioshock on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:29 pm

Yeah, this is hardly the end of the world.

I'm actually far more worried about Paul Martin and his injury. Why? Because he's one of our top two defenseman and he will miss the first round. THAT SCARES ME.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BfromD on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:30 pm

DelPen wrote:This streak or Crosby not winning the scoring title are not worth getting bet out of shape over. Get healthy Sid. Then destroy everyone :)
BfromD
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Crosby is getting oral

Postby owtahear on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:30 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
wondermoose wrote:
offsides wrote:I didn't see anyone looking for his teeth. Do they even bother to try to find teeth? Might be a little tough trying to find white teeth on white ice.

There was definitely some teeth in the pool of blood on the ice. Teeth aren't like fingers or something where you might be able to re-attach them, and I'll bet they shattered anyways. Honestly, breaking teeth like that is one of my worst fears. It just sounds and looks awful.

Had my front teeth broken off/out by an elbow in a basketball game in college. One snapped off but the root stayed in, the other tooth stayed in but was pushed back so that it was pointing straight at the back of my throat - breaking the bone that holds the root in place. Had emergency Oral Surgery to remove the root and tooth and got 15 stitches in my mouth. I spit the one tooth piece into my hand and threw it in the dude's face who elbowed me.

Went to party that night. Had a great time. No biggie.

One time I was playing basketball and the other team had a real BIG guy. Like 280lbs. He got a rebound and was going up for a put back when our Center tried to block him and they hit heads.

All of a sudden, I saw blood. I looked at the other guy, he had a bloody mouth, I looked at our Center and in his forehead were two holes with teeth imbedded in them. Just the weirdest thing I ever saw.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:32 pm

What's up with viktor stahlberg? He's wearing a jaw protector too.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Crosby is getting oral

Postby Bioshock on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:34 pm

owtahear wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:
wondermoose wrote:
offsides wrote:I didn't see anyone looking for his teeth. Do they even bother to try to find teeth? Might be a little tough trying to find white teeth on white ice.

There was definitely some teeth in the pool of blood on the ice. Teeth aren't like fingers or something where you might be able to re-attach them, and I'll bet they shattered anyways. Honestly, breaking teeth like that is one of my worst fears. It just sounds and looks awful.

Had my front teeth broken off/out by an elbow in a basketball game in college. One snapped off but the root stayed in, the other tooth stayed in but was pushed back so that it was pointing straight at the back of my throat - breaking the bone that holds the root in place. Had emergency Oral Surgery to remove the root and tooth and got 15 stitches in my mouth. I spit the one tooth piece into my hand and threw it in the dude's face who elbowed me.

Went to party that night. Had a great time. No biggie.

One time I was playing basketball and the other team had a real BIG guy. Like 280lbs. He got a rebound and was going up for a put back when our Center tried to block him and they hit heads.

All of a sudden, I saw blood. I looked at the other guy, he had a bloody mouth, I looked at our Center and in his forehead were two holes with teeth imbedded in them. Just the weirdest thing I ever saw.

That actually happened to our team in Baseball. We had a center and left fielder collide. The left fielder was about a foot taller, then they collided... the left fielder had his teeth go in the top of the center fielders head. Knocked out a few teeth and left a nice gash on top of the other guy's head. We all laughed.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:42 pm

Your hysteria notwithstanding, Crosby has a pretty comfortable lead in the points race. This isn't exactly doom.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins