Crosby Out With Broken Jaw

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Crosby Out With Broken Jaw

Postby PhantomJB93 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:59 pm

Shero's quotes have me a little more optimistic. Good news he isn't wired shut and it sounds like he'll be back sooner than later. Just can't believe he had another freak devastating injury again.

And just for my two cents, I'm on the "keep Neal-Malkin-Iginla" together train. If the plan is to keep 14-87-9 together, I don't see the sense in breaking up 18-71-12 right now when we could let them develop their chemistry. Better to let them do that now and work out any kinks than be worrying about it come playoff time.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KBone on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:09 pm

PhantomJB93 wrote:
And just for my two cents, I'm on the "keep Neal-Malkin-Iginla" together train. If the plan is to keep 14-87-9 together, I don't see the sense in breaking up 18-71-12 right now when we could let them develop their chemistry. Better to let them do that now and work out any kinks than be worrying about it come playoff time.

This.

Let the Malkin line develop chemistry, let Jeffrey be a stand in for what 9 and 14 have going on, too.

Maybe they've been carrying Sid and can do the same for DJ :lol:
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:12 pm

Nobody knows the nature of the injury, in terms of location of the plate, etc. I don't think anyone can be sure how long this will take because even after the bone heals he should wear protection over the area.

If the plate is somewhere that a mask cannot protect, then he will be out longer. The 80% strength it will achieve over the 3 weeks means it would still need to be protected, and a plate in your lower jaw cannot be protected from torque since the mask would need to be resting on it somehow.

I'm just guessing, but it seems to me that he is going to be out a while. Without his jaw wired shut, at least he can eat and maintain his weight.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby marek on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:13 pm

I agree... Horrible injury...Horrible timing but... It could always be worse.
We have plenty of time before the playoffs start, this streak has built a bit of a cushion in terms of standings, we just finished up a very busy month of hockey, without a lot of key players... It's forced everyone to contribute. This injury will do even more of the same.

Other than a scoring title (personal stats) the injury only slows down the team chemistry IF Jerome was to play with Sid. Which may not have been in the works anyways... So... Based on GMRS comments I too am optimistic. Lets take it in stride and hope the injury bug has had it's fill for the year.

Get well Sid! Drink that Metrx!
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SDPen77 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:44 pm

I feel horrible for Sid:( Thank God he is not wired shut. Get well soon Sid.
SDPen77

Postby Grunthy on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:49 pm

I don't think he will be out more than a week. Once the swelling goes down and he feels better with the pain medicine, he will return. Give him ten days and i think he well be back playing.
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:50 pm

KBone wrote:
PhantomJB93 wrote:

This.

Let the Malkin line develop chemistry, let Jeffrey be a stand in for what 9 and 14 have going on, too.

Maybe they've been carrying Sid and can do the same for DJ :lol:

My thoughts exactly. Less moving parts the better. When Sid comes back you have the top line back together, the 3rd line stays the same and the 2nd has been developing chemistry this whole time. Just move Jeffrey into the spot between Kunitz and Dupuis. You're golden!
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:51 pm

It's the rational choice, though not necessarily a good choice.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bioshock on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:58 pm

columbia wrote:It's the rational choice, though not necessarily a good choice.

Then what is the good choice?
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:02 pm

There isn't one, in my estimation.
So you just plugin DJ for Crosby and hope for the best.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CERV96 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:18 pm

A small concern here. Sid has not worn a full mask/cage since juniors when he was required to. This will also take some time for him to adjust. Most likely a game and a few practices. If anyone has ever played without a cage then has went back to it understands what I am saying. Your vision gets limited and have to adjust.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:25 pm

CERV96 wrote:A small concern here. Sid has not worn a full mask/cage since juniors when he was required to. This will also take some time for him to adjust. Most likely a game and a few practices. If anyone has ever played without a cage then has went back to it understands what I am saying. Your vision gets limited and have to adjust.

Best player in the game, I think he'll be fine. If it's a cage and not the clear he'll most likely remove a couple bars around his eyes to give better vision ala Joe Thornton when he played with the Bruins.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby CERV96 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:30 pm

Good point he could also go to the Tocchet '92 space helmet as posted in Crosby eats.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Bioshock on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:46 pm

columbia wrote:There isn't one, in my estimation.
So you just plugin DJ for Crosby and hope for the best.

Yeah, it sucks but at least there us light at the end of the tunnel.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JeffDFD on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:49 pm

I think after about 1 shift or so, the mask disappears and you just get to your game. It bothers you when you think about it and when you are purposely thinking about your vision...but when you get into the flow it just happens. I suck at inline and I played and had to wear a cage and that is the way I felt adjusting from dek/ball hockey (note - in no way am I at all coming close to comparing my hockey experience to any professional or Sid). Now imagine someone who actually knows where they are going and knows how to play hockey really well! No doubt the blind spots are still actually there, so you have to react faster, but it is not something you think about a whole lot. Anyway - Sid gets assists to Kunitz without even looking as it is! I would more be worried about him not reacting fast enough to an oncoming check.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:53 pm

He already wears a visor, adding the lower will affect finding pucks at your feet.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Caputi19 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:07 pm

If only the fish bowl comes back lol
Caputi19
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby relantel on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:10 pm

Grunthy wrote:I don't think he will be out more than a week. Once the swelling goes down and he feels better with the pain medicine, he will return. Give him ten days and i think he well be back playing.

If they leave the choice up to Crosby, I could totally see that. Only way for management to keep him from coming back would be to refuse to remove him from IR. IF they put him on IR, which they have not done (yet).

Tocchet had a series of tweets earlier this evening talking about his experience in 92, where he didn't require surgery. CP wanted him to sit out but he refused.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: PM me your email addy for invite to LGP Extra Attacker league

Postby JoseCuervo on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:13 pm

CERV96 wrote:A small concern here. Sid has not worn a full mask/cage since juniors when he was required to. This will also take some time for him to adjust. Most likely a game and a few practices. If anyone has ever played without a cage then has went back to it understands what I am saying. Your vision gets limited and have to adjust.

Completely understand. It pretty much cuts your peripheral vision in half, and that is a big part of Sid's game. He will obviously be fine in adjusting, but I wouldn't expect too many of those shocking "how did he find him?" passes.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penmyst on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:22 pm

I don't much care how this affects the team.

This is a tough break for Crosby, and it's going to take a lot of strength and focus to heal and get past it. Best wishes to him.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:30 pm

You know, after reading through all the various methods of treatment, prognosis the road to recovery, you know how insane it is that Crosby's mouth doesn't require ANY WIRING AT ALL?

Guys... it's a freaking miracle he doesn't have his mouth wired shut. Even with the plate and surgical procedure, you still normally have 1-2 weeks of your mouth being wired shut.

I can't emphasize this enough, Crosby is the luckiest SOB in the NHL right now. This could have gone so horribly wrong that it's just flat out insane.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Staggy on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:39 pm

Ehh I'll go for luckiest guy with a broken jaw in the NHL. Overall luckiest guy would have been standing six inches to the left or right.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:41 pm

Staggy wrote:Ehh I'll go as far as to say he's the luckiest guy with a broken jaw in the NHL. Overall luckiest guy would have been standing six inches to the left or right.

Haha, luckiest guy given the circumstances then.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Inkio on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:45 pm

I cannot believe his mouth isn't wired shut. My mind is blown right now. Please let him get better quick. And don't let damn Stamkos catch up in points because of a fluke.
Inkio
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby RxBandit66 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:47 pm

Everyone should relax. THis team is winning right now because of defense and goaltending. To top that off, they have two 50 goal scorers and a 40 goal scorer healthy and in the lineup, and NONE of those three players were dependent on Sid as their center.

And as far as players stepping up in the absence of others, my money is always on a Sutter. He'll fill in for a few weeks and everything will be fine when Sid gets back. They'll have Letang back in a few days, and Sid will follow a week or two after that.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins