Pens v. Rangers (4/3/13) GDT

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pens v. Rangers (4/3/13) GDT

Postby DelPen on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:47 pm

Inkio wrote:
wondermoose wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:I think we really miss Crosby and not just for his skill or points, but when he starts running around, it's infectious.


Faceoffs too. Very apparent tonight because Malkin doesn't faceoff.


2 parts of his game that really need worked on are Faceoffs, and defensive awareness aka not locking in on the puck but picking up a man.

Jokinen
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,340
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Pens v. Rangers (4/3/13) GDT

Postby farnham16 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:48 pm

To single out any one player for the last two games is laughable. The entire team has completely taken the last two games off.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,398
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:50 pm
Location: Trying to get to my game

Re: Pens v. Rangers (4/3/13) GDT

Postby offsides on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:49 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:Individual players aside (like Iggy), seems that we played two games without energy for some reason. Maybe the streak left us worn out a little and we need to regroup. But last game I fell asleep for a moment and tonight the team got so boring I had to load something dirty to keep me awake.


Missing your 2 best d-men and the best player in the world will do that


So do we forfeit games till the injured come back? Depth is suppose to mean something. If I ever saw a game mailed in, that was it.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,422
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: Pens v. Rangers (4/3/13) GDT

Postby DelPen on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:51 pm

offsides wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:Individual players aside (like Iggy), seems that we played two games without energy for some reason. Maybe the streak left us worn out a little and we need to regroup. But last game I fell asleep for a moment and tonight the team got so boring I had to load something dirty to keep me awake.


Missing your 2 best d-men and the best player in the world will do that


So do we forfeit games till the injured come back? Depth is suppose to mean something. If I ever saw a game mailed in, that was it.


Sure
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,340
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Pens v. Rangers (4/3/13) GDT

Postby smoothmoneyb on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:56 pm

farnham16 wrote:To single out any one player for the last two games is laughable. The entire team has completely taken the last two games off.


You're right about that. I'm mostly pissed off at whoever it was that smoked the entire team out before the game tonight. So not cool man. But as far as Geno goes, his play has been quite subpar for most of the year. Just kind of seems like he's mailing it in half the time he's out there. This is not anything new as of the past 2 nights. It was pretty much the same before as it is now, but because the rest of the team (ok mainly the first line) was on fire, nobody was really talking about it too much
smoothmoneyb
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:35 am

Re: Pens v. Rangers (4/3/13) GDT

Postby BuckintheLou on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:57 pm

Missed first 2 periods tonight (reckon that was a good thing). Yup. 'It's only 1 game' but wasn't that said about last nights loss?
Like a lot of others, wonder where the Pens went. Sure, developing chemistry takes time but, really?! This? Two goals in 6 periods
and giving up a truckload (again). Oh yeah, we got some talent out with illness and injury but hey, can't they at least hit on 6 cylinders?!
They could at least make an effort. Sucks man. Job has me in Saint Louis and I'll have to listen (I know, it ain't about me!) to a bunch of HATERS tomorrow about how this "stacked" team is taking the league by storm.
Boys need to rebound Friday (at least look like they've been on skates before) and as a minimum make a game of it.
BuckintheLou
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: St. Louis (by way of Greene Co, Pa)

Re: Pens v. Rangers (4/3/13) GDT

Postby DelPen on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:07 pm

Oh crap, I shaved my beard off TUesday. Had it since February. My bad. Should be good soon. Maybe Friday.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,340
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Pens v. Rangers (4/3/13) GDT

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:12 pm

offsides wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:Individual players aside (like Iggy), seems that we played two games without energy for some reason. Maybe the streak left us worn out a little and we need to regroup. But last game I fell asleep for a moment and tonight the team got so boring I had to load something dirty to keep me awake.


Missing your 2 best d-men and the best player in the world will do that


So do we forfeit games till the injured come back? Depth is suppose to mean something. If I ever saw a game mailed in, that was it.


No, but to expect the team to look as good as they did isn't really realistic.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,727
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Pens v. Rangers (4/3/13) GDT

Postby farnham16 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:25 pm

smoothmoneyb wrote:
farnham16 wrote:To single out any one player for the last two games is laughable. The entire team has completely taken the last two games off.


You're right about that. I'm mostly pissed off at whoever it was that smoked the entire team out before the game tonight. So not cool man. But as far as Geno goes, his play has been quite subpar for most of the year. Just kind of seems like he's mailing it in half the time he's out there. This is not anything new as of the past 2 nights. It was pretty much the same before as it is now, but because the rest of the team (ok mainly the first line) was on fire, nobody was really talking about it too much


Look, has Malkin been great this year yet? No. But there are a lot of factors at play here. He played a ton of games in Russia during the lockout and he's been banged up all season. He certainly hasn't been terrible though.

I'm just done with the whole bashing Malkin thing. Its been this boards job ever since after his rookie year to jump all over this guy even after all the amazing things he has accomplished in his young career so far. Do we forget that he just won his second Art Ross and the MVP last season?

Malkin never has been, is, or will be a problem for this team.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,398
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:50 pm
Location: Trying to get to my game

Re: Pens v. Rangers (4/3/13) GDT

Postby bhaw on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:26 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
offsides wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:Individual players aside (like Iggy), seems that we played two games without energy for some reason. Maybe the streak left us worn out a little and we need to regroup. But last game I fell asleep for a moment and tonight the team got so boring I had to load something dirty to keep me awake.


Missing your 2 best d-men and the best player in the world will do that


So do we forfeit games till the injured come back? Depth is suppose to mean something. If I ever saw a game mailed in, that was it.


No, but to expect the team to look as good as they did isn't really realistic.


If giving up 6 to a team that struggles to score 1 on an average night doesn't at least bump the needle on your concern-o-meter, I don't know what to say. I'm fairly level headed, but a) we looked abysmal against 2 terrible teams and b) this pattern isn't exactly new when you look at how the Pens finished the season last year.

Oh, and the Rangers were playing with 25% of the roster never having played together before.

I really thought DB had done a great job changing the mentality of the team in the middle of the streak. Playing great team defense. I'll be interested to see how they handle the next couple games.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 26,997
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Pens v. Rangers (4/3/13) GDT

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:29 pm

bhaw wrote:
If giving up 6 to a team that struggles to score 1 on an average night doesn't at least bump the needle on your concern-o-meter, I don't know what to say. I'm fairly level headed, but a) we looked abysmal against 2 terrible teams and b) this pattern isn't exactly new when you look at how the Pens finished the season last year.

Oh, and the Rangers were playing with 25% of the roster never having played together before.

I really thought DB had done a great job changing the mentality of the team in the middle of the streak. Playing great team defense. I'll be interested to see how they handle the next couple games.


You should know it's hard to bump my concern-o-meter...

But I don't see the concern when 3 of our best players are out. I just don't.

2 bad games without the best player in the world and 2 of our best D-men after a 15 game win streak doesn't even register a blip on the radar, IMO.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,727
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Pens v. Rangers (4/3/13) GDT

Postby bhaw on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:33 pm

So Martin was the sole reason we gave up 9 goals in 10 games (Letang wasn't really in during the streak)? Is that your argument? Or was it the team defense?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 26,997
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Pens v. Rangers (4/3/13) GDT

Postby saveourpens on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:34 pm

Yep, if there's anything I've learned over the past years it's that the season works in ebbs and flows. 2 L after a 15 game win streak...without three of your top players? Let's chill out. Pens are in it for a deep run.
saveourpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 787
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:34 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Pens v. Rangers (4/3/13) GDT

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:34 pm

bhaw wrote:So Martin was the sole reason we gave up 9 goals in 10 games (Letang wasn't really in during the streak)? Is that your argument? Or was it the team defense?


The team defense, which I believe was held together by Martin (and to a lesser extent Letang).
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,727
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Pens v. Rangers (4/3/13) GDT

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:37 pm

And if Todd Reirden is to be believed, a lot of the team appears to be down with the flu. Can't scratch everyone.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,727
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Pens v. Rangers (4/3/13) GDT

Postby farnham16 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:39 pm

I'm not concerned. They just won 15 in a row. A little fall back was coming. Unfortunately its been kinda a big fall back but still.

Only thing I really don't like is how the entire team literally did not try at all these past two games. I mean literally, they didn't care one bit.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,398
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:50 pm
Location: Trying to get to my game

Re: Pens v. Rangers (4/3/13) GDT

Postby smoothmoneyb on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:39 pm

farnham16 wrote:
smoothmoneyb wrote:
farnham16 wrote:To single out any one player for the last two games is laughable. The entire team has completely taken the last two games off.


You're right about that. I'm mostly pissed off at whoever it was that smoked the entire team out before the game tonight. So not cool man. But as far as Geno goes, his play has been quite subpar for most of the year. Just kind of seems like he's mailing it in half the time he's out there. This is not anything new as of the past 2 nights. It was pretty much the same before as it is now, but because the rest of the team (ok mainly the first line) was on fire, nobody was really talking about it too much


Look, has Malkin been great this year yet? No. But there are a lot of factors at play here. He played a ton of games in Russia during the lockout and he's been banged up all season. He certainly hasn't been terrible though.

I'm just done with the whole bashing Malkin thing. Its been this boards job ever since after his rookie year to jump all over this guy even after all the amazing things he has accomplished in his young career so far. Do we forget that he just won his second Art Ross and the MVP last season?

Malkin never has been, is, or will be a problem for this team.


... as long as we're not relying on him to step up his game when the rest of the team is in a funk. What sucks, is that he would be the player you would want and need most to do just exactly that. Look, I'm not saying that Malkin's a problem. But he is a very inconsistent player from year to year, and even throughout the year a good part of the time. That's just the way geno is. I think fans become the most frustrated with the inconsistent players, like when the see what he did last year, and previous years, which makes this year seem like he is just half assing it. When he is on his game, he really might be the best player in game. When he is off, like lately, he's not even close to the 2nd best player in the game. I certainly do not read anywhere near all of the posts on this board, but I just haven't seen a lot of people talking about it. I've been noticing his play for a while now, and now more than ever is when it would be great to see him step it up. So I suppose this just seemed like a good time to mention it..
Last edited by smoothmoneyb on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smoothmoneyb
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:35 am

Re: Pens v. Rangers (4/3/13) GDT

Postby farnham16 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:42 pm

smoothmoneyb wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
smoothmoneyb wrote:
farnham16 wrote:To single out any one player for the last two games is laughable. The entire team has completely taken the last two games off.


You're right about that. I'm mostly pissed off at whoever it was that smoked the entire team out before the game tonight. So not cool man. But as far as Geno goes, his play has been quite subpar for most of the year. Just kind of seems like he's mailing it in half the time he's out there. This is not anything new as of the past 2 nights. It was pretty much the same before as it is now, but because the rest of the team (ok mainly the first line) was on fire, nobody was really talking about it too much


Look, has Malkin been great this year yet? No. But there are a lot of factors at play here. He played a ton of games in Russia during the lockout and he's been banged up all season. He certainly hasn't been terrible though.

I'm just done with the whole bashing Malkin thing. Its been this boards job ever since after his rookie year to jump all over this guy even after all the amazing things he has accomplished in his young career so far. Do we forget that he just won his second Art Ross and the MVP last season?

Malkin never has been, is, or will be a problem for this team.


... as long as we're not relying on him to step up his game when the rest of the team is in a funk. What sucks, is that he would be the player you would want and need most to do just exactly that. Look, I'm not saying that Malkin's a problem. But he is a very inconsistent player from year to year, and even throughout the year a good part of the time. That's just the way geno is. I think fans become the most frustrated with inconsistent players, like when the see what he did last year, and previous years, which makes this year seem like he is half assing it. When he is on his game, he really might be the best player in game. When he is off, like lately, he's not even close to the 2nd best player in the game. I certainly do not read anywhere near all of the posts on this board, but I just haven't seen a lot of people talking about it. I've been noticing if for a while, and now more than ever is when it would be great to see him step it up. So I suppose this just seemed like a good time to mention it..


If you know anything about Malkin, then you know he has been at his best at times when Sid has been out. Malkin's production without Sid cannot be questioned. Its amazing.

Its only been two games without Sid. Malkin just came back from an injury and obviously hasn't found his A game yet. Plus, the entire team has decided not to care about these past two games. Its no big deal.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,398
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:50 pm
Location: Trying to get to my game

Re: Pens v. Rangers (4/3/13) GDT

Postby smoothmoneyb on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:46 pm

farnham16 wrote:
smoothmoneyb wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
smoothmoneyb wrote:
farnham16 wrote:To single out any one player for the last two games is laughable. The entire team has completely taken the last two games off.


You're right about that. I'm mostly pissed off at whoever it was that smoked the entire team out before the game tonight. So not cool man. But as far as Geno goes, his play has been quite subpar for most of the year. Just kind of seems like he's mailing it in half the time he's out there. This is not anything new as of the past 2 nights. It was pretty much the same before as it is now, but because the rest of the team (ok mainly the first line) was on fire, nobody was really talking about it too much


Look, has Malkin been great this year yet? No. But there are a lot of factors at play here. He played a ton of games in Russia during the lockout and he's been banged up all season. He certainly hasn't been terrible though.

I'm just done with the whole bashing Malkin thing. Its been this boards job ever since after his rookie year to jump all over this guy even after all the amazing things he has accomplished in his young career so far. Do we forget that he just won his second Art Ross and the MVP last season?

Fair enough. I guess I'm jumping the gun a bit, maybe worried that particular aspect of his career will be inconsistent also. That he wont become supergeno in Sids absence this time. But you're right, it's only been 2 games so I should give it some more time. Although, it would be great if he could be supergeno while Sid was playing to. But now I"m probably just pushing it.. :)

Malkin never has been, is, or will be a problem for this team.


... as long as we're not relying on him to step up his game when the rest of the team is in a funk. What sucks, is that he would be the player you would want and need most to do just exactly that. Look, I'm not saying that Malkin's a problem. But he is a very inconsistent player from year to year, and even throughout the year a good part of the time. That's just the way geno is. I think fans become the most frustrated with inconsistent players, like when the see what he did last year, and previous years, which makes this year seem like he is half assing it. When he is on his game, he really might be the best player in game. When he is off, like lately, he's not even close to the 2nd best player in the game. I certainly do not read anywhere near all of the posts on this board, but I just haven't seen a lot of people talking about it. I've been noticing if for a while, and now more than ever is when it would be great to see him step it up. So I suppose this just seemed like a good time to mention it..


If you know anything about Malkin, then you know he has been at his best at times when Sid has been out. Malkin's production without Sid cannot be questioned. Its amazing.

Its only been two games without Sid. Malkin just came back from an injury and obviously hasn't found his A game yet. Plus, the entire team has decided not to care about these past two games. Its no big deal.


Fair enough. I guess I'm jumping the gun a bit, maybe worried that that particular aspect of his career thus far will be inconsistent also. That he wont become supergeno in Sids absence this time. But you're right, it's only been 2 games so I should give it some more time. Although, it would be great if he could be supergeno while Sid was playing too. But now I"m probably just pushing it.. :)
Last edited by smoothmoneyb on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
smoothmoneyb
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:35 am

Re: Pens v. Rangers (4/3/13) GDT

Postby thepittman on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:47 pm

Lolololololol, reading this board after a loss is hilarious
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,098
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 3:52 pm
Location: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Re: Pens v. Rangers (4/3/13) GDT

Postby bhaw on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:49 pm

Reading people's reaction to reading this board after a loss is quite boring, though.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 26,997
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Pens v. Rangers (4/3/13) GDT

Postby farnham16 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:54 pm

I'm faily confident we kill the Rangers on Friday.
Last edited by farnham16 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,398
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:50 pm
Location: Trying to get to my game

Re: Pens v. Rangers (4/3/13) GDT

Postby smoothmoneyb on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:54 pm

Ok, in hindsight maybe I should have brought this up during the winning streak. I'm sure that would have flown over quite well..
smoothmoneyb
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:35 am

Re: Pens v. Rangers (4/3/13) GDT

Postby knives of ice on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:56 pm

farnham16 wrote:I'm faily confident will kill the Rangers on Friday.



i don't think the pens have lost 3 in a row all year...and when they have lost they usually lose 2 in a row. before this group of 2 losses was the carolina game which was atrocious as well. these 2 losses in the grand scheme of things should be nothing.

hell, they laid an egg in game 5 against detroit as well. this is nothing to get bent out of shape over.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,742
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: good riddance Armstrong

Re: Pens v. Rangers (4/3/13) GDT

Postby smoothmoneyb on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:56 pm

farnham16 wrote:I'm faily confident we kill the Rangers on Friday.


That its my biggest takeaway here.. the motivation the Pens will now have to absolutely bury the rangers come friday.
smoothmoneyb
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:35 am

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

e-mail