Where is Malkin? "Earth to Malkin, Come in Malkin......"

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Where is Malkin? "Earth to Malkin, Come in Malkin......"

Postby rgj on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:20 pm

I think I saw Malkin these past two games, but I am not sure......has anyone else seen him? What's he been up to lately?
rgj
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Where is Malkin? "Earth to Malkin, Come in Malkin......"

Postby Pitts on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:24 pm

:roll:
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jwest21 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:29 pm

Earth to Whom It May Concern
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby GenoMachino71 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:34 pm

I think its fair for Malkin to take a little heat. Let's be real, the Pens need him to produce more come playoff time. I would not be against a Kunitz-Malkin-Neal reunion to try to get that line going again. The Malkin/Neal line has not been nearly productive enough 5 on 5 this season. Maybe Kunitz would give them a much needed spark.
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:39 pm

Malkin will play good and try if it involves him winning a scoring title :pop:
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:58 pm

He's trying to figure out how to play with two RW's
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Penspal on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:10 pm

Its been an up and down season for Malkin for sure.

I thought he started a little slow from his time in KHL, took bad penalties, had some bad habits.

Then he got going, stopped taking penalties, started to look good.... then he got hurt.

He came back with lots of zip (especially skating wise, rest did him good I think), but of course, he hurt shoulder, out he went.

Since his return, I feel he has struggled somewhat (his line has had chances) in the last few ames. When Malkin takes stupid penalties, he's not on his game.

He's an enigma and I think there is more than enough time for him to get it going in the right direction.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:15 pm

Hope he can find some chemistry with Neal and Iginla, it will be a short playoff if he doesn't get his motor going.

Last 2 or 3 games i have to admit he did create a lot of chances, just that nothing went in.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:18 pm

Malkin is trying to help himself justify to the PA his making an $8.7 million salary each year of his contract.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:25 pm

This is the prime reason that I laugh when people say Crosby isn't even the best center on his team. Even when Sid is off, he's still noticeable and does SOME things.

Malkin on the other hand absolutely disappears. It's no secret that I'm not a big fan of him and my friends know that. He has a LOT of talent but generally just seems "dumb" to me and lacks hockey sense. He gets by in a game because of his high talent level masking his low hockey IQ. We've all seen him make some downright horrible decisions on the ice, whether it be a pass, a retaliation, a dumb penalty, or ignoring his teammates and trying to do everything on his down through 5 guys.

Take last night for instance. We were on the PP, Malkin carrying the puck through the neutral zone, coming up to 3 guys at the blueline. He had wingers on both sides that had to slow right down as to not go offside. Geno wasn't coming with speed and Neal figured he would either chip the puck in, or at least turn on the speed. He did neither,instead moving laterally, putting Neal offside, and in the process chipping the puck laterally across the blueline to him. Anyone that plays hockey knows that a lateral move or pass at the blueline is one of the worst things you can do. I just shook my head number one at the lack of entry we have on the PP, and at the stupid decision by Geno.

He's also a pretty big sulk. If he gets hit or checked hard, he loves to stay down on the ice in a pissy mood, while getting up slowly and not husting back into the play.
His passing on the PP has been atrocious and his one timer has zero accuracy. It's just ripped off the glass most times. His faceoffs are an embarrassment and have seen minimal improvement.

I have witnessed a focused Geno, that literally took over about 25 games in a row, or a playoff series that he absolutely owned. He looked like a man playing against boys out there. Everytime he got the puck, you knew something was going to happen. Now, you just hope and pray that he doesn't turn the puck over. He has become the biggest enigma out there. Does he need his mom back?

If you take away last years stats, he has 141 points in his last 135 games and is a -9.

While he's still averaging a point per game, it's much less than we know he's capable of. Sure injuries have played their part, but when you see a guy go out and score 106, 108, 113 points a season, you come to expect more than a point per game pace, and negative plus minus.
In my mind, he's not worth the same money that Sid gets. Only because you never know what you're getting from him, and frankly he can hurt you out there more than he helps you some nights with his sulking, stupid penalties, and retaliatory stuff. Not to mention we've seen him get shut down and rattled by a rookie in Philly. With Sid, you know you're getting that intense backcheck and pick pocketing, the dangerous offensive zone presence, the amazing board and cycle play, and leadership by effort night after night. We've seen Sid improve in all areas that he lacks, such as shot, goalscoring, faceoffs, shootouts, temper, penalties, etc.

I guess to summarize, Malkin needs to find that level of consistency and bring it nightly. He also needs to work to improve the areas of his game that lack. His payday will be pretty easy if he keeps this up.

We need him more than ever RIGHT now, and if he can't find it, then it's going to be a pretty big disappointment from a guy that pulling in the biggest paycheque on the team.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:35 pm

murphydump55 wrote:This is the prime reason that I laugh when people say Crosby isn't even the best center on his team. Even when Sid is off, he's still noticeable and does SOME things.

Malkin on the other hand absolutely disappears. It's no secret that I'm not a big fan of him and my friends know that. He has a LOT of talent but generally just seems "dumb" to me and lacks hockey sense. He gets by in a game because of his high talent level masking his low hockey IQ. We've all seen him make some downright horrible decisions on the ice, whether it be a pass, a retaliation, a dumb penalty, or ignoring his teammates and trying to do everything on his down through 5 guys.

Take last night for instance. We were on the PP, Malkin carrying the puck through the neutral zone, coming up to 3 guys at the blueline. He had wingers on both sides that had to slow right down as to not go offside. Geno wasn't coming with speed and Neal figured he would either chip the puck in, or at least turn on the speed. He did neither,instead moving laterally, putting Neal offside, and in the process chipping the puck laterally across the blueline to him. Anyone that plays hockey knows that a lateral move or pass at the blueline is one of the worst things you can do. I just shook my head number one at the lack of entry we have on the PP, and at the stupid decision by Geno.

He's also a pretty big sulk. If he gets hit or checked hard, he loves to stay down on the ice in a pissy mood, while getting up slowly and not husting back into the play.
His passing on the PP has been atrocious and his one timer has zero accuracy. It's just ripped off the glass most times. His faceoffs are an embarrassment and have seen minimal improvement.

I have witnessed a focused Geno, that literally took over about 25 games in a row, or a playoff series that he absolutely owned. He looked like a man playing against boys out there. Everytime he got the puck, you knew something was going to happen. Now, you just hope and pray that he doesn't turn the puck over. He has become the biggest enigma out there. Does he need his mom back?

If you take away last years stats, he has 141 points in his last 135 games and is a -9.

While he's still averaging a point per game, it's much less than we know he's capable of. Sure injuries have played their part, but when you see a guy go out and score 106, 108, 113 points a season, you come to expect more than a point per game pace, and negative plus minus.
In my mind, he's not worth the same money that Sid gets. Only because you never know what you're getting from him, and frankly he can hurt you out there more than he helps you some nights with his sulking, stupid penalties, and retaliatory stuff. Not to mention we've seen him get shut down and rattled by a rookie in Philly. With Sid, you know you're getting that intense backcheck and pick pocketing, the dangerous offensive zone presence, the amazing board and cycle play, and leadership by effort night after night. We've seen Sid improve in all areas that he lacks, such as shot, goalscoring, faceoffs, shootouts, temper, penalties, etc.

I guess to summarize, Malkin needs to find that level of consistency and bring it nightly. He also needs to work to improve the areas of his game that lack. His payday will be pretty easy if he keeps this up.

We need him more than ever RIGHT now, and if he can't find it, then it's going to be a pretty big disappointment from a guy that pulling in the biggest paycheque on the team.

You aren't a big fan of a guy who has two Art Ross's, an MVP, a Lindsey, a ROY, and a Conn Symthe trophy all before the age of 26?

This is one of the worst posts ever. Malkin has low hockey IQ? How the hell can you even justify saying that? Because you certainly can't back it up. I don't care how much talent you have, you don't do what Malkin has done and put up his kind of numbers and have low hockey IQ. If you believe that then you know nothing about the game. Malkin is on pace to be in the Hall of Fame. You think Hall of Famers have low hockey IQ?

This place is unreal on Geno. Absolutely unreal. Let's look at the facts here: He's been banged up all year, played a ton of games in Europe during the lockout, and JUST came back from injury. You can't make a logical assement of any players game based on the past two games because the ENTIRE team decided they didn't give a crap.

"If you take away last years stats." Yeah, let's take away a year where he was the best player in the world and won major awards. And even if you do take away the amazing season Geno had last year, based on your stats he is still well over a point per game. How many guys in the NHL average over a point per game? Not very many.

You make so many points that are so dead wrong. I'll let you in on a little secret...it is insanely difficult to produce the kind of year Malkin had last season all the time.

Malkin will be fine. Move on.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:42 pm

farnham16 wrote:Malkin will be fine. Move on.

This
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:46 pm

murphydump55 wrote:If you take away last years stats, he has 141 points in his last 135 games and is a -9.

... :face:
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:49 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:If you take away last years stats, he has 141 points in his last 135 games and is a -9.

And his friends know it, too.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:51 pm

Gaucho wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:

And his friends know it, too.

Didn't think I was on HF Boards, good God.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Scott on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:14 pm

I am going to tell you all this. I've been saying to people all year long that something is up with Malkin.

Don't know if he misses his homeland from having just played there, or if he finally gotten a woman.....whatever the case he has become a total turnover king. Don't get me wrong, I would still take Malkin because even on a bad day he is still better than 75 percent of the league, but this turnover thing is a real killer.

Moreover he just looks a bit lost out there at times. As if he isn't sure to shoot or pass. I'm not sure what is going on. He also looks a tad overweight. Malkin's game was an explosive tall lanky player that had a good reach and hockey sense that rivals legend players. He appears to be a tick slower this year and maybe that is from the extra weight he is carrying around. He either has 10 extra pounds or is wearing bigger pants and pads. Regardless his explosiveness is down a little from what we are all used to seeing.

If anyone knows what is up with him, please help it get fixed. We all miss him!
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:16 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:

IT JUST ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH!!!!

GAWD!!!!

:)
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:21 pm

If you take away last year Malkin was ONLY a point per game player while battling (well known) injuries all season long..

67 games played, 77 pts, while battling injury and coming off a short summer after carrying the team through the 09 playoffs
43 games played, 37 pts, a season up to his injury he has said he needed to be better, responding with an MVP season last year to back it up,
and now in and out of the lineup this season due to injury with a revolving door on one of his wings.

I get what your saying, sometimes Malkin throws crap passes to noone, (kinda like Sid), and he sucks at faceoffs, and I'll even agree a bit that he can disappear in certain games, moreso than Crosby does, but on the flip side, IMO when Geno is 'on' he is better than Sid. I just think its hard to be 'on' when your in and out of the lineup for various reasons.

Hopefully things start to click.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DocEmrick on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:40 pm

HES NOT EVEN THE BESTEST PLAYER ON HIS TEAM
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:45 pm

Man, that was one big murphydump!
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rocco on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:46 pm

The worst part is that when Malkin disappears Neal joins him.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Scott on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:52 pm

Rocco wrote:The worst part is that when Malkin disappears Neal joins him.

You got that right! When Malkin returns if he could bring someone to fill the #18 sweater along with it...awesome.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:04 pm

Malkin to LA for Kopitar, Brown, and Jack Johnson.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thepittman on Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:21 pm

Not even remotely worried about Geno
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby panthers1788 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:36 pm

6 Goals this season Malkin...I sent a search party out for you........WHERE YOU AT? (Voice of Shannaon Sharpe)
panthers1788
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins