Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Pen48guins on Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:51 am

Am I the only one who misses WWII shooters. With all these new physics and graphics ect.... I am itching to see a good WWII shooter on the consoles.
Pen48guins
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:46 am

Finished BioShock Infinite the other night and on my second playthrough now. It is pure artisical genius. I honestly didn't think it was possible for them or any developer to top the orginal BioShock in terms of its profound impact but I can say that this game does. It is an amazing experience. The second it was over I started playing it again. That's how good it is.

And the ending. Man. It might be controversial to some and it sure will get people talking, but it is probably the greatest and most mind blowing ending to a game I've ever seen. And it has one moment towards the ending that had me smiling like crazy.

Unreal game in every sense.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:53 am

Pen48guins wrote:Am I the only one who misses WWII shooters. With all these new physics and graphics ect.... I am itching to see a good WWII shooter on the consoles.

Yep. But I think we won't see another one of those for a while. It seems modern theme seems to be most popular now. Console kiddies aren't into historical shooters, and that's the demo the publishers are going after.

If you have a decent (but not cutting edge) PC, you could try the Forgotten Hope 2 mod for BF2 or Red Orchestra (via Steam). Both have been out for several years, and still have decent fanbases (i.e. populated servers). Forgotten Hope covers most European theatres, with the Eastern Front coming soonish. Red Orchestra, is all Ostfront, all of the time.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pen48guins on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:29 am

Yea, I have the red orchestras and I have ARMAII with the Invasion 44 mod. but sometimes you just want to sit on the couch in front of the tv and blow away nazis and thats not possible now.
Pen48guins
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:43 pm

Unfortunately last generation was littered with WWII games. Don't forget about Call of Duty, World at War
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pen48guins on Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:08 pm

World at war to me played like a modern shooter with wwii uniforms
Pen48guins
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:24 pm

farnham16 wrote:Finished BioShock Infinite the other night and on my second playthrough now. It is pure artisical genius. I honestly didn't think it was possible for them or any developer to top the orginal BioShock in terms of its profound impact but I can say that this game does. It is an amazing experience. The second it was over I started playing it again. That's how good it is.

And the ending. Man. It might be controversial to some and it sure will get people talking, but it is probably the greatest and most mind blowing ending to a game I've ever seen. And it has one moment towards the ending that had me smiling like crazy.

I just picked up the Shock Jockey vigor. These games are like "Atlas Shrugged" as an fps; Ayn Rand, realized!

It's interesting, because there have been a couple instances so far where you are faced with a choice, sort of like harvesting Adam from the Little Sisters in the first game. I wonder if there are multiple endings like the first one?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ajh2298 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:42 pm

farnham16 wrote:Finished BioShock Infinite the other night and on my second playthrough now. It is pure artisical genius. I honestly didn't think it was possible for them or any developer to top the orginal BioShock in terms of its profound impact but I can say that this game does. It is an amazing experience. The second it was over I started playing it again. That's how good it is.

Just started it this morning about 2 hours in and I am really enjoying it.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:12 pm

I feel like the VG industry has done all they can for WWII. Literally, what else is there for them to make a game about?

European front? Yup.

Pacific? Yup.

Perhaps they could try rehashing a flying game (Secret Weapons Over Normandy for the Xbox/PS2 is what I have in mind), but I just don't see what more game makers can do with it.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:18 pm

tifosi77 wrote:

I just picked up the Shock Jockey vigor. These games are like "Atlas Shrugged" as an fps; Ayn Rand, realized!

It's interesting, because there have been a couple instances so far where you are faced with a choice, sort of like harvesting Adam from the Little Sisters in the first game. I wonder if there are multiple endings like the first one?

No multiple endings. Just one.

Make sure you watch all the way through the credits too :wink:
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shyster on Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:54 pm

Who's on the Mün? This guy!

One of my Kerbal astronauts out for an EVA:

I have no idea whether I have enough fuel to get them back, but they're there and all alive.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:16 pm

Shyster wrote:Who's on the Mün? This guy!

One of my Kerbal astronauts out for an EVA:

I have no idea whether I have enough fuel to get them back, but they're there and all alive.

lol awesome :thumb: I think Nasa takes that same approach
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:33 pm

Man, I am so pumped to play Bioshock...wooooo
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:28 pm

SolidSnake wrote:
Shyster wrote:I have no idea whether I have enough fuel to get them back, but they're there and all alive.

lol awesome :thumb: I think Nasa takes that same approach

Bah, NASA cheats. I have it on good authority that they use something called "math." I ain't got no time for that.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddysnake on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:22 pm

Punch out on wii u game pad is sweet
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:24 pm

Complete success! I send a Kerbal to the Mün (three of them, actually), and returned him safely to Kerbal. Getting back takes way less fuel thanks to Kerbal's vastly higher gravity. My astronauts splashed down in the ocean.

Whew. I can't remember the last time a video game gave me this sense of accomplishment.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:17 pm

Going to have free time this weekend with no wife or kids.

Hopefully I can clear a nice chunk of Metroid Other M.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Easton on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:40 am

I downloaded the demo of Kerbal Space Station and then promptly bought it a few days ago. After several ill-advised launches that saw several Kerbals become acquainted with fire, I've finally achieved fairly constant orbit and made it to the Mun for the first time. I ran out of fuel during the approach and crashed into the surface going 700+m/s. But, I got there! Next step is landing.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:26 am

Pretty much confirmed that the next xbox is going to require an internet connection 100% of the time. Looks like PS4 is going to be the way to go this holiday season.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:43 am

I didn't know that there were still gamers out there that weren't connected to the internet 100% of the time.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:44 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I didn't know that there were still gamers out there that weren't connected to the internet 100% of the time.

I'm here.

I think I'm connected to the internet 0% of the time while playing video games.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:46 am

newarenanow wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I didn't know that there were still gamers out there that weren't connected to the internet 100% of the time.

I'm here.

Don't you download some games on the wii? Do you disconnect it from the internet?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:55 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

I'm here.

Don't you download some games on the wii? Do you disconnect it from the internet?

No, never downloaded anything. I don't even think my Wii is connected to my wireless unless it picks up automatically, then it might be.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:58 am

Tons of gamers:

- overseas soldiers
- huge markets like Brazil
- people in rural areas
- people like me who don't want ***** ads every time I turn the machine on so I intentionally disconnect it
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:00 am

Tons of gamers, except the ones that buy any of the top selling game franchises. Very few people will consider this a deal breaker or even an influence on their decision.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR