Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby skullman80 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:10 am

Yeah I don't see it being a big deal to the target audience of most of developers. I may not personally agree with it, but I understand it. I mean my PS3 and Xbox are both always online via wireless connection. They are media players not just game systems to me.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:10 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Tons of gamers, except the ones that buy any of the top selling game franchises. Very few people will consider this a deal breaker or even an influence on their decision.

I buy Lego Games, Zelda, Metroid and Mario. :pop:
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:12 am

skullman80 wrote:Yeah I don't see it being a big deal to the target audience of most of developers. I may not personally agree with it, but I understand it. I mean my PS3 and Xbox are both always online via wireless connection. They are media players not just game systems to me.

I definitely don't mind it. Just the games I purchase and the games I play (I still play my old school NES), I just don't need it.

If Nintendo ever went the route that it's top games (ie. Zelda, Metroid, etc) had to be hooked up to the internet, then I'd probably do it since I have wireless and it would be easy.

Just making the point that not everyone is connected all of the time right now.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:13 am

newarenanow wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Tons of gamers, except the ones that buy any of the top selling game franchises. Very few people will consider this a deal breaker or even an influence on their decision.

My understanding is that this announcement will not influence your decision to buy the console because you won't be buying it either way, yes?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:14 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

My understanding is that this announcement will not influence your decision to buy the console because you won't be buying it either way, yes?

Correct. If/when I buy a new system, it will be the WiiU.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:18 am

what if you are d/c'ed from the internet mid game? are you going to not be able to save? get booted?

the draconian throat grip that console developers are putting on their customers is silly to me. I will not be buying a new xbox specifically because of this (in before "microsoft doesnt care"). i dont want some overlord wondering and monitoring what im doing on the console i paid $400 for.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:23 am

It has a 3 minute grace period. If your internet goes out for more than 3 minutes than you are booted from the game. Sony has confirmed they aren't doing any of this.

So next gen it is:

Sony with free online play and no-online requirement vs MS with paid online everything and an on-line requirement

Also, this is great PR (Adam Orth works for MS, the dude he is tweeting works for Bioware):

http://i.imgur.com/IWPsqOR.png

Edit: Removing the embedded pic because I didn't notice the one swear word in there.
Last edited by AlexPKeaton on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:24 am

canaan wrote:what if you are d/c'ed from the internet mid game? are you going to not be able to save? get booted?

the draconian throat grip that console developers are putting on their customers is silly to me. I will not be buying a new xbox specifically because of this (in before "microsoft doesnt care"). i dont want some overlord wondering and monitoring what im doing on the console i paid $400 for.

I feel the same way. And the day that I can no longer buy a tangible game is the day I'm done buying new systems. Just the way I feel.

So hopefully Nintendo doesn't go this route.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:26 am

That twitter exchange is great.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:08 am

Very interesting debate there. I've never given it much thought, to be honest. Our Wii is always connected, even though it rarely uses it. My sons like playing Mario Kart against the Japanese hordes, which is fun for them.

As a PC elitist, I'm always online and with Steam and now Origin, it's been that way for a few years for me. It's a change that everyone will have to get used to, if you are tied to the Xbox system (assuming that you will be able to import games/stats/friends from your 360 to 720 "account," like when I upgrade my Android Phone, i.e. I don't have to re-purchase apps that were on my old phone).
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:11 am

Yeah, I just don't see how anyone thats a 360 gamer or ps3 gamer isn't online all the time. I don't even play games online and i'm connected 100% of the time on both consoles.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:33 am

Easton wrote:I downloaded the demo of Kerbal Space Station and then promptly bought it a few days ago. After several ill-advised launches that saw several Kerbals become acquainted with fire, I've finally achieved fairly constant orbit and made it to the Mun for the first time. I ran out of fuel during the approach and crashed into the surface going 700+m/s. But, I got there! Next step is landing.

Congrats on getting there! I’ve killed so many of those poor little green guys that I actually feel sorry about it. It’s even worse that you can often see their expressions go from happy to terrified right before they go kablooey.

One thing I found out the hard way is that when you are landing on the Mün the indicated altitude is the altitude of the Mün’s theoretical “sea level.” It’s not how many meters are left before you actually touch ground. For example, when I landed a rover last night I think the indicated altitude at touchdown was something like 1,700 meters, and it can vary quite a bit depending on whether you are in a crater or something like that. I had a few landing attempts where the ground kind of snuck up on me before I realized that.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:37 am

Kerbal Space Program seems interesting. How much is it? I may have to investigate tonight.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:38 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Kerbal Space Program seems interesting. How much is it? I may have to investigate tonight.

A whopping $23: https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/kspstore ... ?c=20&p=22

Might have to try this out too.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:41 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Kerbal Space Program seems interesting. How much is it? I may have to investigate tonight.

Yeah this was probably a let me google this for you moment. I'm dumb.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:41 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:

You can also buy it through Steam for a penny less, and Steam will automatically take care of downloading updates.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/220200/
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby canaan on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:22 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Yeah, I just don't see how anyone thats a 360 gamer or ps3 gamer isn't online all the time. I don't even play games online and i'm connected 100% of the time on both consoles.

being connected and not having the ability to disconnect are two different things.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:29 pm

canaan wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Yeah, I just don't see how anyone thats a 360 gamer or ps3 gamer isn't online all the time. I don't even play games online and i'm connected 100% of the time on both consoles.

being connected and not having the ability to disconnect are two different things.

In practice, not really.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:02 pm

canaan wrote:

That's why there's a "appear offline" setting.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:33 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:

Yeah this was probably a let me google this for you moment. I'm dumb.

Nah, I was interested in the price as well. Refreshing getting games for less than $60 (Minecraft).
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:01 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Very interesting debate there. I've never given it much thought, to be honest. Our Wii is always connected, even though it rarely uses it. My sons like playing Mario Kart against the Japanese hordes, which is fun for them.

As a PC elitist, I'm always online and with Steam and now Origin, it's been that way for a few years for me. It's a change that everyone will have to get used to, if you are tied to the Xbox system (assuming that you will be able to import games/stats/friends from your 360 to 720 "account," like when I upgrade my Android Phone, i.e. I don't have to re-purchase apps that were on my old phone).

This is completely different from Steam. For Steam you have to be online to buy games, but can play them offline. Also, internet interruptions only affect your ability to send messages to your friends. This is saying that the MS is going to force you to be online and check at some periodic interval that you are still online. This has two major problems:

1. Obviously if your internet goes down you can't play
2. All the games you buy for the next XBOX will only work as long as MSs servers are online. No plugging in a xbox 720 20 years from now and playing that gen's version of techmo bowl. You are basically renting every game you buy.

The advantages for MS are obvious: They can forceably push ads at everyone, and absolutely zero piracy.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:35 pm

Sounds like total garbage from MS. I don't ever log in to PSN unless I'm going to the store or planning on doing some MP gaming. Mostly I like single player games these days, so no need to log in. And if you go on a trip or vacation and take your gaming system with you to play a little bit where you have no internet access. That sucks. Most of all, all the games you buy may not work in the future if they decide to discontinue support for older titles. I don't have an xbox, just ps3, but if this is true then I would not even want an xbox anymore, because I would rather buy games for ps3 just because of this fact.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:20 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
canaan wrote:

In practice, not really.

in practice, you're wrong. if i take my console with me on a business trip, it is absurd that i have to be connected to an internet connection to play a video game that has no online capability, other than some draconian authorization process.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:24 pm

furthermore, if i buy a console, i should have the right to do whatever i want to the hardware, without fear of reprisal from big brother. if a system isnt equipped with sufficient hard drive space, who is microsoft or otherwise to say that i am unable to amend my hardware to accommodate my needs/wants. if i want to emulate games that i have purchased, a console developer has no right to limit my console. i paid for it. its mine. this is a basic ownership issue and people with their blasé attitude towards such things have a very myopic view of consumer rights.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:43 pm

I think this is really stupid, and if I were to buy a nexgen console, it would definitely not be a 720.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR