Game 39 vs Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 39 vs Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby André on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:44 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:-Malkin's shoulder isn't 100%, and it was obvious on his shootout attempt. Couldn't get any lift or velocity on it. Legs seem to be working, but his shot isn't there. Hopefully, the light schedule will give him time to heal.

You could be on to something there. He barely had any shot attempts. Hope it's nothing lingering (if he's in fact injuried) but with shoulders that might be the case.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:57 pm

That is a leader when your goalie goes out and plays stellar to stop the epic, well 2 game, losing streak!
Flower was at his most gumby, acrobatic steel wall self.

Sadly I was close enough to see James Neal eyes go vacant for a second too long. Healing vibes to James Neal.
Brenden Morrow, as others mentioned played a spirited game. MOre to come in post season.
Brendan Shanahan; get your best suit on for the del zotto suspension video.
There was absolutely no panic , no scrambly play after the rangers tied the game. The pens are confident, no matter who is, or will be in their line up.
Jussi Jokinen; a more solid body than I was expecting. you only get 1 time to make a good impression and he did! thank-you!

What was up with Broadway's Hank dramatic spinaroma late in the 3rd... good grief. :roll:

50 + shots and 2 goals scored in regulation play, I thoroughly enjoyed the goalie duel.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:59 pm

Luckybreak wrote:-2 players skate to the corner, only Murray skates out! #crankshaft

Murray's checks always look almost effortless, yet people just go flying!

I also hope they re-sign him for next year. Definitely a beast.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:59 pm

penny lane wrote:[b]

Sadly Penny, it has been announced that there is no hearing for Del Zotto.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:03 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
penny lane wrote:[b]

Sadly Penny, it has been announced that there is no hearing for Del Zotto.

:twisted: that is a bunch of BS!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:22 pm

I would have been shocked if Del Zotto got a suspension. It sucks that Neal got hurt on the play, but it's pretty impossible to conclusively judge intent on that.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:27 pm

Froggy wrote:I would have been shocked if Del Zotto got a suspension. It sucks that Neal got hurt on the play, but it's pretty impossible to conclusively judge intent on that.

Intent shouldn't matter here. The fact is he hit him in the head with an elbow, and it should at least be a fine, and probably a suspension.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:32 pm

meh. He knew Neal was going to hit him and he braced himself for contact, it's a human reaction. Was it a penalty? Probably. It's unfortunate that he got hurt on the play and Del Zotto needs to show better awareness there. We don't need everybody to start crying for suspensions after every little hit.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:35 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:meh. He knew Neal was going to hit him and he braced himself for contact, it's a human reaction. Was it a penalty? Probably. It's unfortunate that he got hurt on the play and Del Zotto needs to show better awareness there. We don't need everybody to start crying for suspensions after every little hit.

No, but elbows to the head should at least be penalized, regardless of intent. There's 0 reason to have your elbow up that high if you're bracing for a hit.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:36 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:meh. He knew Neal was going to hit him and he braced himself for contact, it's a human reaction. Was it a penalty? Probably. It's unfortunate that he got hurt on the play and Del Zotto needs to show better awareness there. We don't need everybody to start crying for suspensions after every little hit.

Every little hit doesn't knock the player unconscious.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:49 pm

KG wrote:I'm not digging Malkin's game nor his effort for a while. He needs to step it up in absence of Sid. The Malkin/Iginla/Neal line is still finding their game!

Honestly, I don't think Iginla nor Neal are (or have been) the problem with that line. Malkin, himself, just doesn't look good... and he's the one that powers whatever line he's on (unless he's on a line with Sid, then he can just hitch a rid to the Ferrari).
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:52 pm

tfrizz wrote:
KG wrote:I'm not digging Malkin's game nor his effort for a while. He needs to step it up in absence of Sid. The Malkin/Iginla/Neal line is still finding their game!

Honestly, I don't think Iginla nor Neal are (or have been) the problem with that line. Malkin, himself, just doesn't look good... and he's the one that powers whatever line he's on (unless he's on a line with Sid, then he can just hitch a rid to the Ferrari).

I agree with those here who theorize that Geno's sick or in pain. It's a nagging feeling I get when I look at him. If so, then get well soon, Geno.

Bring this man some of his mama's borscht!
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:53 pm

Inkio wrote:Any time the Pens beat the Rangers or Flyers all I can see on their forums are "Bunch of diving cheap shotting babies" which is hilarious. And things like the "the better team lost" lol. So many posts saying "Neal got what he deserved" or some variation. What is with these fans? Going though our game day threads I never see crap when a player get's injured saying good, or he deserved it... wtf is wrong with people.

To be fair, the better team did lose last night - but the best player out there walked away with the W.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:55 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:Sutter get reamed because he lost the draw that Nash scored on..

I noticed alot of D zone draws won, and then promptly turned over with a stupid play up the boards.. namely Orpik twice, glaringly.

Orpik is an entirely different story. If it was my call, he'd be watching a game or two from the press box to get the message through to him.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:34 pm

Spoiler:
Dana Heinze ‏@RealDanaHeinze 2 Apr Fleury and Malkin wearing my Vintage Goalie Masks. #29- Denis Herron #71- Jim Craig. pic.twitter.com/x1iR58hkad

something fun from twitter.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghThing on Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:09 pm

Sometimes I wish I lived in NYC, good shows, great food, the chance to elbow Shanny in the head and then claim I was just protecting myself.
BurghThing
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kaizer on Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:58 pm

i thought it was funny that they asked rick nash if it felt like a playoff game.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:11 pm

Kaizer wrote:i thought it was funny that they asked rick nash if it felt like a playoff game.

Well, it went exactly how he remembers it (with his team losing)
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shakes on Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:17 pm

Re: that sequence where MAF played without a glove, thank God nothing go through. A broken left hand for their goalie is just what the Pens need.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:25 pm

My review of game :
Three stars of the game : 1.MAF ; 2.Jokinen ; 3.Nash

MAF stole the game for us,especially in the 3rd period and overtime.. Jokinen was flying and was a beast on faceoffs,had a good game with Duper and Kunitz. GENO looks out of form totally.. My god,Duper looks like a 8M player compared to Geno,who looks like a veteran on minimum deal.. His line was pretty awful last night,no chemistry.. Iginla wanted to do something,but had a bad game also,nothing worked for him..
Morrow was everywhere to half of the game,hitting,trying to cycle,then he was gased.. Cooke was old Cooke again,nice to see.

On D Murray was a wall again,I really like the guy. I hope we can keep him somehow.. The whole D team played good game,no one bad.

Game was tight one,a lot of board play,not much space for any team,could say it was "playoff" game. But we were dominated by Rags in 3rd period,too much defending a lead and that defensive oriented game costed us a win I think. We now see how much we lost on offensive end without Sid the kid.. Geno line doesnt do much,they were playing like a 3rd line yesterday. Im really dissapointed of Geno.
He didnt even shoot once!?! Now Neal is out (lets hope nothing serious) and there will be even harder that they gain some chemistry.

Maybe we should really consider putting Kuny on 2nd line and Jarome on 1st when all healthy.
Also Jokinen is a waste on 4th line,maybe we could dump someone else down to 4th line,when Sid and Neal are back.
Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Jokinen - Sutter - Morrow (but JJ takes draws)
Cooke - Adams - Kennedy
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:37 pm

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby topshelf on Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:07 pm

topshelf