Douglas Murray is a BEAST

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Douglas Murray is a BEAST

Postby Shakes on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:35 pm

marek wrote:Boyle was embarrassed. It was like that scene in tombstone between billy bob Thornton and Kurt Russell.
Slapped him in the face and just about made him cry.

I had the same thought.

Wyatt Earp: You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens.
Johnny Tyler: Listen mister, I'm getting awful tired of your...
[Wyatt slaps him]
Wyatt Earp: Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:38 pm

MRandall25 wrote:I don't get what they mean by "What do you expect, they have him on their 2nd pair".

Were they giving him 1st pairing minutes in SJ?

Hmm? They mean that if Murray is playing too much you'll lose as a result. Right? Or am I missing something...?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:39 pm

I guess that's what I'm asking :lol:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:00 pm

MRandall25 wrote:I don't get what they mean by "What do you expect, they have him on their 2nd pair".

Pretty sure he was playing bottom pairing minutes in SJ, but he did apparently spend some time on the top pair with Dan Boyle.

Their insinuation was the fact that Murray was on the 2nd pair shows how poor the defense is. In reality, it's a 3rd pair playing as a 2nd pair because their two best defenseman are injured.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:01 pm

mikey287 wrote:

Hmm? They mean that if Murray is playing too much you'll lose as a result. Right? Or am I missing something...?

Correct (see above)

It's like they don't realize Martin & Letang, the Pens' two best defenseman, are injured which has resulted in their eventual 3rd pairing of Murray-Niskanen having to take on 2nd pairing duties for the time being - and they haven't been all that bad in doing so.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:10 pm

The more I watch it, the more it looks late to me.

Nice hit, but I would have been apoplectic if that was a Pens player getting hit that late. :lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shakes on Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:24 pm

I don't think it was late at all. Obviously, it's close, but they're all close. He hit him within a half-second after he released it.

That hit (attempt, anyway) happens all the time. In fact, the reason he catches him just off balance is because Boyle is still looking at his shot. No one else but Murray even tries that against him.

Spoiler:
And if it was a Pens' player, I would have said brace yourself or duck next time. :lol:
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:46 pm

Shakes wrote:I don't think it was late at all. Obviously, it's close, but they're all close. He hit him within a half-second after he released it.

That hit (attempt, anyway) happens all the time. In fact, the reason he catches him just off balance is because Boyle is still looking at his shot. No one else but Murray even tries that against him.

Spoiler:
And if it was a Pens' player, I would have said brace yourself or duck next time. :lol:

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:The more I watch it, the more it looks late to me.

Nice hit, but I would have been apoplectic if that was a Pens player getting hit that late. :lol:

I just watched the MSG replay of the 3rd period. Interestingly enough, the Rangers announcers were explicit that they didn't think it was a late hit.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:05 pm

They need to find money and make room for him because this guy isn't going anywhere. Shero better resign him. He seems to play a smarter game than at least a couple other guys in the 6 anyway. Whatever pair he plays on, he has what we need(ed).
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:39 pm

I think Niskanen could be gone and Murray re-signed for similar money,if he wants to.. Engelland also dealt for picks,Eaton re-signed for minimum -Martin, Letang, Despres, Murray, Orpik, Bortuzzo, Eaton - next year's starting D unit I hope..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:09 pm

I'd have reservations about our transition game with that defense. Martin can carry it but isn't utilized to do so at even strength. Despres isn't a major catalyst on that front, at least not yet. Orpik shouldn't be handling the puck. Nor should Eaton. Murray and Bortuzzo can't.

I don't love Niskanen, but I think we'd have trouble getting the puck up the ice with that defense.

Just like Philadelphia this year. Chris Pronger and Matt Carle led their transitional attack. They're gone, band-aids (like Bruno Gervais and Kurtis Foster) have dried up and fallen off already and the Flyers just can't generate ES offense as a result.

This season, only 63.8% of Philadelphia's goals have come at ES. 27th in the NHL (Fla, Edm, NJ). They're tied for 23rd in 5-on-5 goals.

They don't have the ability to get the puck to their lead playmaker on every pairing and they suffer as a result.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:28 pm

Letang, Martin and Despres puck carriers I think.. But they have to be on different pairs.. Martin - Orpik, Letang - Murray, Eaton - Despres maybe..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:38 pm

You go for this...

Despres-Letang
Orpik-Martin
Eaton-Murray
Bortuzzo

And just leave that bottom pairing as a blackhole for offense. That said, this team won a Stanley Cup with a Scuderi-Gill pairing. Which would be about as slow and about as poor with the puck as Eaton and Murray. So, my case is overstated probably.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:49 pm

I hope he can be re-signed. I was hesitant about giving up 2 2nd round picks for a Hal Gill clone, but he embodies what this defense was desperately lacking, and will look fine on the 3rd pair.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jwest21 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:55 pm

When I first read the title, my brain inserted an R into the last word. I was confused for a moment
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:01 pm

Douglas Murray is a bearst?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jwest21 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:02 pm

Gaucho wrote:Douglas Murray is a bearst?

exactly
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby neophool on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:47 am

Douglas Murray is a beard?
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:00 am

It's nice to have Ulf back on the team
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:20 am

PensFanInDC wrote:It's nice to have Ulf back on the team

I was trying to figure out the other day if Murray was more Ulf-like or Darius-like?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby BfromD on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:26 am

Ulfius "The Bearst" Murray?
BfromD
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bh on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:28 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:It's nice to have Ulf back on the team

I was trying to figure out the other day if Murray was more Ulf-like or Darius-like?
Def more Ulf like. Kasper was no where near that size although he did have that really low center of gravity.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:40 pm

Pens4Life wrote:I think Niskanen could be gone and Murray re-signed for similar money,if he wants to.. Engelland also dealt for picks,Eaton re-signed for minimum -Martin, Letang, Despres, Murray, Orpik, Bortuzzo, Eaton - next year's starting D unit I hope..

I feel like Niskanen is such a versatile player that you need someone like him in the lineup*. He can play in all situations and all pairings in emergencies. Sorta like the Dupuis of Defense. If he can be had for a relatively cheap price still and be your 3rd pairing guy it's pretty ideal. That leaves someone like Eaton as a scratch, who can also play a number of roles but is getting older. Then you bring in the younger guys as injury replacements, when the inevitable happens.

Despres- Letang
Orpik - Martin
Nisky-Murray
Eaton

*Obviously I have no idea if this is salary cap possible
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:01 pm

It'sagreatdayforhockey! wrote:Despres- Letang
Orpik - Martin
Nisky-Murray
Eaton

*Obviously I have no idea if this is salary cap possible

It is for next season if Dupuis only takes a minimal raise, and Bennett plays 100% full time. No chance at all to bring back Iginla or Morrow.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins