Where is Malkin? "Earth to Malkin, Come in Malkin......"

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Where is Malkin? "Earth to Malkin, Come in Malkin......"

Postby midd on Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:55 am

yeah it might be time to move Kunitz to the 2nd line and bring Iginla to the first when Crosby returns. Hate breaking up that line but it's whats best for the team to have some balance and consistency.
midd
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pugilist13 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:16 am

DocEmrick wrote:Trade him. He's worth an 8th rounder at most

Nah, at least a 2nd rounder, plus a conditional 3rd rounder, if he scores more than 10 goals for his new team next year.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:38 am

He doesn't look healthy to me.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:02 pm

shmenguin wrote:He doesn't look healthy to me.

This is quite possible and if so, why not rest him to let him heal up? He isn't contributing much this way.
offsides
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:13 pm

offsides wrote:
shmenguin wrote:He doesn't look healthy to me.

This is quite possible and if so, why not rest him to let him heal up? He isn't contributing much this way.

Well, it's the difference between having a #1 line and having 3 #3 lines, regardless if Geno is shooting or not.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:36 pm

Scratch Geno? With Sid out? :shock:
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby TrueNorth on Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:46 pm

I agree with the popular sentiment that Geno is not himself (I’ve always found that expression intriguing) these days and that he may be playing with an injury. He usually steps up his game when Sid is out and that has not happened this time around. That, in and of itself, is telling. I‘m hoping that the upcoming visit from his parents will work some magic and get him back on track. We need Geno the beast back in true form.

As an aside, The Jets gave Philly a shellacking this afternoon (4-1). Never let it be said they aren’t doing their level best to sink that miserable ship in the service of God, country and the Pittsburgh Penguins.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:10 pm

Maybe Geno is sick of the complaints that he only plays well when Sid is out.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:19 pm

I don't really buy the injury excuse. If he's so injured that he can't even shoot I really don't see them playing him. Maybe in the playoffs, but not with about a month to go, the division essentially wrapped up, and at worst a #2 seed. They would be continuing to keep him out of the lineup to rehab his injury.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:31 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I don't really buy the injury excuse. If he's so injured that he can't even shoot I really don't see them playing him. Maybe in the playoffs, but not with about a month to go, the division essentially wrapped up, and at worst a #2 seed. They would be continuing to keep him out of the lineup to rehab his injury.

yea i dont buy it either. people automatically say someone is injured when they arent playing well. Now is the time to rest so if he is then he needs to sit. I think hes been in and out too much and just needs a few games to get his bearings back. lets hope he bounces back this week and scores some goals
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TrueNorth on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:06 pm

I think Geno, like many athletes, is loathe to admit when he’s not feeling 100%. I don’t think he's necessarily suffering from something serious, but maybe something that is just enough to put him off his game. This is a guy who was fighting to get back into action after his concussion before it was prudent for him to do so. Since then, he has missed a significant number of games due to a shoulder injury, so I can see him not being entirely upfront with the trainers and medical staff lest he be sidelined again. But who really knows what is going on with the ever enigmatic Geno? Whatever it is, I hope it gets sorted out sooner rather than later. One thing I do know is that we need him in beast mode for the playoffs.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bh on Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:11 am

It's the whole girlfriend broken heart borscht thing again. yada yada yada.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penmyst on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:46 am

Why can't it just be that he's playing terrible right now? And that leads to disinterested play?

Don't always have to make excuses.

I personally only care about the performance on the ice. Couldn't care less if a player that makes millions of dollars might get his feelings hurt for being called out on his lackluster play and efforts.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:50 am

penmyst wrote:Why can't it just be that he's playing terrible right now? And that leads to disinterested play?

I personally only care about the performance on the ice. Couldn't care less if a player that makes millions of dollars might get his feelings hurt for being called out on his lackluster play and efforts.

Exactly.

He's only been elite 1 year out of the last 4. There's no denying that. It's unacceptable.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:06 am

penmyst wrote:Why can't it just be that he's playing terrible right now? And that leads to disinterested play?

Yeah you're right, excuse making is almost as ridiculous as questioning his effort.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:47 am

Yea I never understood the defenders of Malkin when Malkin is criticized. Malkin himself could come out and say he's playing terrible and those defenders still wouldn't believe it.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: "Whatcha you be smokin' cuz? you guys aren't nothing but hoopty"

Postby tfrizz on Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:55 am

SolidSnake wrote:Yea I never understood the defenders of Malkin when Malkin is criticized. Malkin himself could come out and say he's playing terrible and those defenders still wouldn't believe it.

Yup. It's not like people are saying he's a bad player, they're saying he's playing bad.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby topshelf on Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:11 pm

I'm not making excuses for the guy, but I have a hunch that part of his problem is/was playing half the year in the KHL. He was having a field day over there against second-rate talent, and I think he got comfortable/lazy/whatever and then, when he returned, he simply wasn't ready to pick his game back up. Throw in a concussion and a shoulder injury and... voila.

I, personally, believe he will get it together in time for the playoffs.
topshelf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TrueNorth on Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:01 pm

It can be. Absolutely. It can also be that he’s nursing some underlying medical issue, or that he’s trying his best but is just snakebitten, or that something completely outside the scope of our limited view is going on that has him off his game. It may well be that many factors are contributing to his current sub-par (for him) play. The fact is, none of us has a hot clue as to what is really going on. People are simply speculating and offering their opinions.

Whatever the explanation is, it’s clear that for some people the suggestion that Geno may be nursing a nagging physical problem is tantamount to offering an excuse for his current slump, and falls into the category of letting him off the hook and defending him at all costs. I can’t speak for others, but that certainly is not where I’m coming from. I don’t think there’s a player on this team who frustrates me more than Geno does. There are times when his behaviour drives me to distraction and he deserves all the criticism he gets. In this particular case, however, I think he may not be feeling 100%, for whatever reason(s), and that this could be an explanation for his current slump. It has nothing to do with making excuses for him.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby marek on Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:04 pm

Maybe the flu bug has hit him too... Looks lethargic and just a bit off... Like he's
been taking medication or something.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:36 pm

marek wrote:Maybe the flu bug has hit him too... Looks lethargic and just a bit off... Like he's
been taking medication or something.

He always looks dopey.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:52 pm

so let me get this straight.

wins 2 Art Ross trophies in the last 5 years
plays an average of 55 games in the two seasons he was hurt
still PPG player in those seasons
not elite

yeah, okay. Oh, is that why you said the last four years so you could cherry-pick statistics again? Pearson is rolling in his grave every time you post. Just stop.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby offsides on Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:40 pm

No denying, Geno is definitely a very good player, just can't see giving him more money than Sid come contract time. Hopefully he would sign for the same money as Sid, if not, I'd say thanks and goodbye.
offsides
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Dickie Dunn on Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:53 pm

Geno is no doubt elite. He's also a lazy Russian.
Dickie Dunn
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Godric on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:27 pm

offsides wrote:No denying, Geno is definitely a very good player, just can't see giving him more money than Sid come contract time. Hopefully he would sign for the same money as Sid, if not, I'd say thanks and goodbye.

people still don't get this?

THE CBA IS NOT THE SAME. SO EVEN IF HE WANTED THE EXACT SAME CONTRACT AS SID HE WOULD HAVE A HIGHER CAP HIT BY 1.2 MILLION
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins