Where is Malkin? "Earth to Malkin, Come in Malkin......"

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Where is Malkin? "Earth to Malkin, Come in Malkin......"

Postby Rylan on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:43 pm

...what does his country of origin have to do with anything?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:31 am

ron cook thanks all of you for helping him write his article in today's pg.

Evgeni passing up shots; something is wrong in his house. Be better Gene!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:36 am

penny lane wrote:ron cook thanks all of you for helping him write his article in today's pg.

Evgeni passing up shots; something is wrong in his house. Be better Gene!

Yep, the obligatory Pittsburgh sports columnist Malkin bashing article: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... ve-682523/

Fortunately, my RSS feed for PG Penguins coverage didn't pick this up. I normally read it at breakfast, and probably would have thrown the iPad across the kitchen, had I seen it pre-coffee. :lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:45 am

on one hand, i'm not sure how malkin's skating could suck so bad if he was healthy right now.

on the other hand, this is the bajillionth time i've thought, "malkin must be hurt if he's playing like this". and this may end up being the bajillionth time where there is no statement from the team confirming that theory.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby headh on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:09 am

shmenguin wrote:on one hand, i'm not sure how malkin's skating could suck so bad if he was healthy right now.

on the other hand, this is the bajillionth time i've thought, "malkin must be hurt if he's playing like this". and this may end up being the bajillionth time where there is no statement from the team confirming that theory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WveqauoUSUo
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby headh on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:13 am

headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:17 am

cool youtube's bro
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:23 am

I think the theory about him not being 100% right now is related more to the shoulder injury, which came after that TBL game, and not the concussion.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:50 am

shmenguin wrote:on one hand, i'm not sure how malkin's skating could suck so bad if he was healthy right now.

He could very well be less than healthy, but to that I say he shouldn't have returned if he was still hurting. The team was on a huge winning streak, so he could've taken more time to get himself closer to 100%.

There seems to be a complex where any time someone calls a Penguin out for poor play, people immediately jump in with the "well he's obviously hurt" or "he's not 100%" excuse. The same thing was said about Orpik over the past few years and no people are asking "wow, how did he drop off so fast?" - the answer is, he didn't... he's been in declined over the past few seasons. I mean, if you look at Malkin's seasons since winning the Cup and Conn Smythe, this is what you get:

2009-10 - 77 points in 67 games (94 point pace)
2010-11 - 37 points in 43 games (71 point pace)
2011-12 - 109 points in 75 games (119 point pace)
2012-13 - 27 points in 26 games (85 point pace)

Taking that into consideration, it's more likely that last season was an "off year" rather than this one. So has he been constantly hurt in those other 3 seasons or is there something else going on?
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby André on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:06 pm

tfrizz wrote:

He could very well be less than healthy, but to that I say he shouldn't have returned if he was still hurting. The team was on a huge winning streak, so he could've taken more time to get himself closer to 100%.

There seems to be a complex where any time someone calls a Penguin out for poor play, people immediately jump in with the "well he's obviously hurt" or "he's not 100%" excuse. The same thing was said about Orpik over the past few years and no people are asking "wow, how did he drop off so fast?" - the answer is, he didn't... he's been in declined over the past few seasons. I mean, if you look at Malkin's seasons since winning the Cup and Conn Smythe, this is what you get:

Taking that into consideration, it's more likely that last season was an "off year" rather than this one. So has he been constantly hurt in those other 3 seasons or is there something else going on?

4 great seasons of during 3 there's a case for calling him best in the world
1 good season (scoring pace 94 points)
1 sub par season (scoring pace of 85 (this year, not rookie year) points)
1 poor season (scoring pace 71 points)

Yes, it was all a fluke.

I think the injury signs were clearly there in 10/11 and now as well.

That said two sup par years out of three and his current equal strength production is cause for concern no matter how you slize it, but the "this is his true himself" posts are just silly.
Last edited by André on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby headh on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:11 pm

shmenguin wrote:cool youtube's bro

Nothing....and I mean...nothing is cooler than you
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby headh on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:14 pm

tfrizz wrote:

Last season his wingers were Kunitz and Neal very consistently for the majority of the season. This season his wingers have been something less and very inconsistent. I think what I just typed is true.. If it's true then it's a reasonable explanation.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby André on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:17 pm

headh wrote:
tfrizz wrote:

Last season his wingers were Kunitz and Neal very consistently for the majority of the season. This season his wingers have been something less and very inconsistent. I think what I just typed is true.. If it's true then it's a reasonable explanation.

Yeah but then you can always throw in the fact that he centered Fedotenko and Talbot during his best year. Linemates matter of course but Geno's production is mainly up to Geno I'd say.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:29 pm

André wrote:
tfrizz wrote:

4 great seasons of during 3 there's a case for calling him best in the world
1 good season (scoring pace 94 points)
1 sub par season (scoring pace of 85 (this year, not rookie year) points)
1 poor season (scoring pace 71 points)

Yes, it was all a fluke.

I think the injury signs were clearly there in 10/11 and now as well.

That said two sup par years out of three and his current equal strength production is cause for concern no matter how you slize it, but the "this is his true himself" posts are just silly.

I don't think it's his true self either, I'm just wondering if there are any other factors in it. My main concern is that he's almost certainly going to cash in with a $10-11M AAV in his next contract, but if his production remains erratic it could really hurt the team, especially early on before the cap has a chance to open up.

He's a streaky player, so perhaps he's just had more "on" time during his great seasons compared to the others. I haven't looked at the numbers, but it's certainly a possibility.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:35 pm

It's the Russian curse.

Ovey
Malkin
Sarge
Kovalpuke
Semin

They're all streaky. (Except maybe Datsyuk)

(The above was said with tongue in cheek... or was it?)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby André on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:47 pm

tfrizz wrote:My main concern is that he's almost certainly going to cash in with a $10-11M AAV in his next contract, but if his production remains erratic it could really hurt the team, especially early on before the cap has a chance to open up.

Whoa now. "Almost certainly"?! Now that's bold. I don't see that happening at all.

The that-star-will-get-close-to-max concern hasn't been close to true since Ovy's 9.7 deal. It's always exaggerated. No way Geno asks for more than Sid. I can see him taking less, I really can (altough market wise that'd be "wrong", as Sid with a huge discount "forces" Geno to a smaller but yet a discount).
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:59 pm

André wrote:
tfrizz wrote:My main concern is that he's almost certainly going to cash in with a $10-11M AAV in his next contract, but if his production remains erratic it could really hurt the team, especially early on before the cap has a chance to open up.

Whoa now. "Almost certainly"?! Now that's bold. I don't see that happening at all.

The that-star-will-get-close-to-max concern hasn't been close to true since Ovy's 9.7 deal. It's always exaggerated. No way Geno asks for more than Sid. I can see him taking less, I really can (altough market wise that'd be "wrong", as Sid with a huge discount "forces" Geno to a smaller but yet a discount).

Almost everyone else in the hockey world sees that happening. I'm not sure why him posting about it would suddenly surprise you.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:05 pm

André wrote:

Deals like Anaheim throwing over $8-million per year at Getzlaf & Perry despite their 57 and 60 point seasons (respectively) last year, and Carolina giving Semin $7-million per year, are going to force Malkin's hand. The NHLPA was reportedly quite unhappy at Crosby taking $8.7-million per year again, so the pressure on Malkin to take more is going to be immense.

Between that pressure from the NHLPA and the pressure sure to come from his agent, it could be a win just to get him down around $10-million per year.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby headh on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:01 pm

tfrizz wrote:
André wrote:

Deals like Anaheim throwing over $8-million per year at Getzlaf & Perry despite their 57 and 60 point seasons (respectively) last year, and Carolina giving Semin $7-million per year, are going to force Malkin's hand. The NHLPA was reportedly quite unhappy at Crosby taking $8.7-million per year again, so the pressure on Malkin to take more is going to be immense.

Between that pressure from the NHLPA and the pressure sure to come from his agent, it could be a win just to get him down around $10-million per year.

Malkin lives in Moscow because he can easily get lost in Russia's capital, which is home to about 11.5 million. Magnitogorsk, where his parents and brother, Denis, still live, is a city of about 407,000.
“He never wants to be the biggest man in town,” said Gonchar, who shares a floor of an apartment complex with Malkin in Moscow.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/329 ... z2Ptc8uxdI
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:16 pm

I'm not sure what that has to do with his salary. Malkin could make $40 million and still not be as big as Crosby in the NHL or in Pittsburgh.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:36 pm

headh wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00Uqm0n5bxU

kid is straight ballin

That #4. I watched a gif of that goal for five minutes recently. Unreal.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitts on Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:24 pm

headh wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00Uqm0n5bxU

kid is straight ballin

I think he needs to fall down more when he shoots. Seems to go in better for him then.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby headh on Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:30 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I'm not sure what that has to do with his salary. Malkin could make $40 million and still not be as big as Crosby in the NHL or in Pittsburgh.

I think the article clearly paints a picture of a person with a personality that enjoys being second fiddle and might actively dislike being with a team where he'd be the clear #1 star.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Shakes on Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:40 pm

headh wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I'm not sure what that has to do with his salary. Malkin could make $40 million and still not be as big as Crosby in the NHL or in Pittsburgh.

I think the article clearly paints a picture of a person with a personality that enjoys being second fiddle and might actively dislike being with a team where he'd be the clear #1 star.

Right, but he can make more money and still be second fiddle.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:55 pm

eh I don't think Malkin has a problem being number 1. I think he enjoys Pittsburgh and its fans as well as the guys in the locker room. Look at his acceptance speech in the locker room when Adams gave him the mini-trophies and portraits.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins