Neal skates...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Neal skates...

Postby Gaucho on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:59 pm

pens#1 wrote:There's a lot of doom and gloom in regards to Neal which I get but with that said a lot of players come back within 7-10 days. I'm hing Neal is the same, I would guess he wouldn't be tweeting if it was really serious. Also remember last year when he was out for 6 weeks with a broken foot and then was back the next day.

Sure, it does not seem that serious. It just would be nice to once in a while be able to enjoy a game without having to worry about some player going to the locker room and not returning.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dan H on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:34 pm

Shakes wrote:It's sad that one could say that this season actually has been a bit luckier than the last few. I'm presuming that at least Sid, Martin, and Letang, 3 of our 4 or 5 most valuable players, will come back strong for the playoffs. I'm staying optimistic on Neal.

I tend to be in a Pens bubble, but it does seem like we've had it bad.

The Pens have definitely had worse luck than most teams with injuries for the past few seasons. But remember that in the past 15 years the Pens have dressed Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, and Malkin. Many (if not most) teams have never had a player as good as any of those four in their entire histories. So let's not whine too hard over our misfortune.

Yeah, that's been said many times before. But it's easy to forget!
Dan H
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:28 pm

Too bad the Pens didn't ice Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby and Malkin in 06/07. Would have been fun to watch.

Lemieux (41) DNP
Jagr (34) 30G, 66A, 96P (NYR)
Crosby (19) 36G, 84A, 120P
Malkin (20) 33G, 52A, 85P
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensHckyFan79 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:16 am

I didn't see the past couple of games. Is there video of this hit. A lot of people saying an elbow to the head was involved. Also did not see any announcement on the NHL website in regards to a suspension, so just curious how bad the actual hit was?
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shakes on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:31 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:
Inkio wrote:I wasn't able to watch the game. Any video on the hit yet?

PensHckyFan79 wrote:I didn't see the past couple of games. Is there video of this hit. A lot of people saying an elbow to the head was involved. Also did not see any announcement on the NHL website in regards to a suspension, so just curious how bad the actual hit was?
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:54 am

First time I saw it. No reason for any kind of hearing for that. The penalty was adequate. Del Zotto is not a good enough skater to turn around and use the elbow all the way across his body to connect with someone's head. In fact, no one is.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:08 am

Idoit40fans wrote:First time I saw it. No reason for any kind of hearing for that. The penalty was adequate. Del Zotto is not a good enough skater to turn around and use the elbow all the way across his body to connect with someone's head. In fact, no one is.

There was no penalty :pop:
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:09 am

Oh so they were already on the powerplay? The video there shows them on a pp. I wouldn't have called a penalty there. Elbow was down.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:11 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Oh so they were already on the powerplay? The video there shows them on a pp. I wouldn't have called a penalty there. Elbow was down.

Yup, already on a PP.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shakes on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:53 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Oh so they were already on the powerplay? The video there shows them on a pp. I wouldn't have called a penalty there. Elbow was down.

Agreed. The slow-mo makes it looks worse in my opinion. At live action, it looks like he knows Neal is behind him, he tries to brace for contact, and his elbow just catches Neal in the face.

If he meant to do it, he did a hell of job disguising it. And I wouldn't call it reckless.

I would buy "it looked bad, so they should have called something," but that's about it.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:57 am

Get well, Lazy!

Evgeni Malkin hadn't seen James Neal since the Penguins winger suffered a concussion on a third-period power play Friday against the New York Rangers.

“I hope he comes back soon, before the playoffs,” Malkin said. “I miss him.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/379 ... z2PyhNoPYW
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:57 am

Lol Malkin is a big kid. A sensitive, emotional big kid.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:04 am

Rylan wrote:Lol Malkin is a big kid. A sensitive, emotional big kid.

I know. I just love him for it, too.

OT: Any idea if Geno's parents are coming into town for the POs? Mrs. Malkina can make Lazy some borscht.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:06 am

Lt. Dish wrote:

OT: Any idea if Geno's parents are coming into town for the POs? Mrs. Malkina can make Lazy some borscht.

I thought I saw they will be here for the next home game and will be staying?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GeoTank on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:15 am

If players are held responsible for what their stick does even if another player lifts it into his own face why shouldn't he be responsible for his elbow?

Ask yourself this question, if it was Matt Cooke and not Del Zotto would there be a penalty and suspension talk? answer... yup
GeoTank
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:17 am

DelPen wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:

I thought I saw they will be here for the next home game and will be staying?

:thumb: Cool. I like how it's become an annual tradition.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:18 am

GeoTank wrote:If players are held responsible for what their stick does even if another player lifts it into his own face why shouldn't he be responsible for his elbow?

Ask yourself this question, if it was Matt Cooke and not Del Zotto would there be a penalty and suspension talk? answer... yup

there would have been a penalty called if the ref actually saw what happened.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GeoTank on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:19 am

shmenguin wrote:
GeoTank wrote:If players are held responsible for what their stick does even if another player lifts it into his own face why shouldn't he be responsible for his elbow?

This wasn't away from the puck, what is he watching then?
GeoTank
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:22 am

GeoTank wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

When I saw it live it looked to me that Neal skated into Del Zotto not Del Zotto taking a hit at Neal.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GeoTank on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:58 am

Rylan wrote:
GeoTank wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

When I saw it live it looked to me that Neal skated into Del Zotto not Del Zotto taking a hit at Neal.

Del Zotto did the same move Morrow did a few days before where going into the puck he stops to get the puck and then basicly checks the incoming player with his back before getting checked himself. Del Zotto however throws out the chicken wing to make sure the incoming player can't get around him by making himself "wider" and knocks Neal out cold. Did he aim to hit him in the head, nope. Was he careless with his elbow, yup. Was it a hit to the head... Ya.
GeoTank
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:20 pm

Thats a problem with the league going after players with reputations rather than the other way around.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:48 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:

Thats a problem with the league going after players with reputations rather than the other way around.

This. The past offender thing is nice and all, but they don't like to create NEW past offenders.

That said, the Del Zotto play is still not suspendable. Penalty sure. I like the idea of careless with your body should be a penalty (elbowing should have been called on the Del Zotto play, at the very least interference, but alas the NHL refs "let the boys play" and the players seem to generally want that attitude, so whatever)
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GeoTank on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:08 pm

Rylan wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

This. The past offender thing is nice and all, but they don't like to create NEW past offenders.

That said, the Del Zotto play is still not suspendable. Penalty sure. I like the idea of careless with your body should be a penalty (elbowing should have been called on the Del Zotto play, at the very least interference, but alas the NHL refs "let the boys play" and the players seem to generally want that attitude, so whatever)

I personally agree it should have only been a penalty, but a penalty is the very least. I would have liked Shanny to get his little video player out and explain why it shouldn't go further. There should be a lot more of those "this is why we didn't take further action against player name here"". I'd have liked him to explain to the league why Kunitz's boarding call got no further action last week, i can give many reasons why but other teams fans dont see it. Now the reason they won't is becouse that would define these penalties more, making the fan more educated to what is and isn't a good call and then their inconsistantsies (sp??) would be too obvious.
GeoTank
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:36 am

Neal is participating in the morning skate this morning... :D
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby America on Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:55 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Neal is participating in the morning skate this morning... :D

#Pens morning skate info: 9-71-12 10-36-19 14-16-24 15-27-48 58-4 47-5 3-2 7-41

:cry:
America
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins