Conspiracy Theory Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Conspiracy Theory Thread

Postby Gaucho on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:36 am

No, a conspiracy theory.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:46 am

Well, it's a daft one. There are so many visual differences between the two ships, never mind all the debris and equipment bearing the ship's name..... oh, and the fact that Olympic served for twenty something years and was used as a troop transport in WW1.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:04 am

Welp, both ships spent some time in the same shipyard prior to the Titanic's sinking, so the changes could've been made then and there. Theoretically.

Yeah, sounds daft. Like most conspiracy theories.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:30 am

I have a friend who says the biggest conspiracy theory ever is organized religion.

It's an interesting take.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Kaizer on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:04 am

sounds like the most reasonable one so far
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:24 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:I have a friend who says the biggest conspiracy theory ever is organized religion.

It's an interesting take.

My ex wife loved arguing religion being a sham or a crutch
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:38 am

Gaucho wrote:Welp, both ships spent some time in the same shipyard prior to the Titanic's sinking, so the changes could've been made then and there. Theoretically.

The problem is that the most recognizable visual difference between the two sister ships came about because of complaints from passengers aboard Olympic. The A-deck first class promenade was open to the weather, and the posh people who were spending huge sums of money for their passage weren't totally down with that, especially in the colder months. So during construction, Harland & Wolff closed in the first 2/3 of the same space on Titanic, where the most expensive staterooms and cabins were located.

Olympic came to the yard for repairs in early 1912, by which time that change had already been made toTitanic. So the theory would have you believe that H&W un-did that work on Titanic to make it look like the older ship and then carried out the modifications to Olympic. That doesn't make any sense.

Why am I complaining that a conspiracy theory makes no sense???
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pensfan1989 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:35 am

tifosi77 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Welp, both ships spent some time in the same shipyard prior to the Titanic's sinking, so the changes could've been made then and there. Theoretically.

The problem is that the most recognizable visual difference between the two sister ships came about because of complaints from passengers aboard Olympic. The A-deck first class promenade was open to the weather, and the posh people who were spending huge sums of money for their passage weren't totally down with that, especially in the colder months. So during construction, Harland & Wolff closed in the first 2/3 of the same space on Titanic, where the most expensive staterooms and cabins were located.

Olympic came to the yard for repairs in early 1912, by which time that change had already been made toTitanic. So the theory would have you believe that H&W un-did that work on Titanic to make it look like the older ship and then carried out the modifications to Olympic. That doesn't make any sense.

I think the entire theory revolves around insurance fraud....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic_co ... Never_Sank
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:42 am

eddysnake wrote:I saw bigfoot, but only once, don't ever remember running that fast.

I saw one too but I don't think anyone here believed me when I talked about it before. It was quiet a while ago and it happened upstate NY in an obviously very wooded summer resort. Late at night, full moon, the thing was looking at the garbage container looking for food, I guess. My friend and I ran away and slept with knives that night. When my grandma told the old russian caretaker guy about it, he told her he saw one too a year earlier when he was going fishing early in the morning. It was standing on a path to the lake, so the guy just took his bucket, turned it upside down, and sat on it just looking at the bigfoot. The thing didn't even care, stared at him for a while, then walked away.

But nobody will believe me again.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Guinness on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:11 am

pensfan1989 wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:

Yeah, I saw some program about it a few months ago... can't remember what it was called.

:scared:
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:20 am

See insurance fraud at least gives a minute chance of being right. It isn't. But always the chance I guess.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:13 am

Sarcastic wrote:
eddysnake wrote:I saw bigfoot, but only once, don't ever remember running that fast.

I saw one too but I don't think anyone here believed me when I talked about it before. It was quiet a while ago and it happened upstate NY in an obviously very wooded summer resort. Late at night, full moon, the thing was looking at the garbage container looking for food, I guess. My friend and I ran away and slept with knives that night. When my grandma told the old russian caretaker guy about it, he told her he saw one too a year earlier when he was going fishing early in the morning. It was standing on a path to the lake, so the guy just took his bucket, turned it upside down, and sat on it just looking at the bigfoot. The thing didn't even care, stared at him for a while, then walked away.

But nobody will believe me again.

I'll believe you Sarcastic... I'll believe you.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:14 am

I find myself getting into and possibly even believing more and more conspiracy theories...
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:39 am

bigfoot is real
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Guinness on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:53 am

PensFanInDC wrote:I find myself getting into and possibly even believing more and more conspiracy theories...

That's kind of the way it's been for me lately, too. Truth, it seems, can be stranger than fiction. That being said, I posted the Titanic CT because I noticed it hadn't been posted yet, not because I believe it. ;)

I'm more than willing to accept that L.H. Oswald, at a minimum, did not act alone in kiling JFK.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:10 pm

I always got a laugh out of people saying that Princess Diana said that Prince Charles and his family were lizard people
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:03 pm

O-Qua Tangin Wann... Qua Omsa Lagee Wann
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:05 pm

"During my nine-day visit with the Biaviians aboard the great mothership, I managed to, uh, get some Polaroid shots of the, uhhh, ships uhhhh, in broad daylight. These are smart bugs, five feet tall. However, when you learn the potential magnitude of their power coupled with the deductive scope of their reasoning, you are given cause, on occasion, for apprehension. The aliens said some people think they are gods and I told them listen man, you're no god! Not with that big Elmer Fudd head! I said, 'Tan (O-Qua Tangin Wann), if you like Stevie Wonder so much, why don't you cruise by his crib and zap him some eye balls?"
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:24 am

anyone interesting in big foot, chupacabra, other cryptids, etc. i would recommend this is a good read to get started in to cryptozoology from bernard heuvelmans: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Tra ... wn_Animals. i have done a fair amount of research in to these things as my senior capstone class was in crytpozoology. regarding big foot, it is difficult to say these things dont exist when several primitive cultures have reports of similar animals around similar time frames when there is no way they could have been in contact (apart from aliens).
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:41 pm

Guinness wrote:
pensfan1989 wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:

Yeah, I saw some program about it a few months ago... can't remember what it was called.

:scared:

No estoy diciendo que fueron los aliens, pero fueron los aliens.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:08 pm

eddysnake wrote:O-Qua Tangin Wann... Qua Omsa Lagee Wann

eddysnake wrote:"During my nine-day visit with the Biaviians aboard the great mothership, I managed to, uh, get some Polaroid shots of the, uhhh, ships uhhhh, in broad daylight. These are smart bugs, five feet tall. However, when you learn the potential magnitude of their power coupled with the deductive scope of their reasoning, you are given cause, on occasion, for apprehension. The aliens said some people think they are gods and I told them listen man, you're no god! Not with that big Elmer Fudd head! I said, 'Tan (O-Qua Tangin Wann), if you like Stevie Wonder so much, why don't you cruise by his crib and zap him some eye balls?"

:wink:
Spoiler:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:11 pm

So as for the survey here http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/ ... 040213.pdf

1) Yes, in the 1970's everyone was calling for an ice age, then temperatures naturally rose in conjunction with solar activity, researchers used this to get more funding, government used this to get more control and temperatures have been declining in conjunction, again, with a decrease of solar acitivty.

2)No, he's dead, either we killed him or he died before that

3)Sure, why not

4)No, they would have done it by now so there's nothing waiting in the wings

5) Kind of, he provided training to al queda but didn't help plan the attack

6)No and anyone who does is an idiot, there have always been autistic kids, it's just diagnosed better now

7) No

8) No, he's just a marxist muslim :)

9) No, the weapons that were there are now being used in Syria

10) is this really a conspiracy? There has to be something else out there, the context of the question is lacking, are they visiting us today? not sure.

11) No, there would be more effective ways to decimate the inner cities, like Planned Parenthood

12) No, what sinister reason could there be for fluoride?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:13 pm

Big Buried Secrets: Giant Skeletons and the Smithsonian

The debate over whether The Smithsonian has hidden evidence of “giants” in American prehistory continues to be torn apart by proponents from both “believer” and “skeptic” camps. Yet sadly, there is a question underlying the debate that is far bigger than even the largest giant skeleton.

http://micahhanks.com/conspiracy-2/big- ... ithsonian/
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to NHR