Where is Malkin? "Earth to Malkin, Come in Malkin......"

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Where is Malkin? "Earth to Malkin, Come in Malkin......"

Postby offsides on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:21 pm

Godric wrote:
offsides wrote:No denying, Geno is definitely a very good player, just can't see giving him more money than Sid come contract time. Hopefully he would sign for the same money as Sid, if not, I'd say thanks and goodbye.

people still don't get this?

THE CBA IS NOT THE SAME. SO EVEN IF HE WANTED THE EXACT SAME CONTRACT AS SID HE WOULD HAVE A HIGHER CAP HIT BY 1.2 MILLION

Ok, I don't get it, but I still wouldn't pay him more than Sid.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tfrizz on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:54 pm

offsides wrote:
Godric wrote:
offsides wrote:No denying, Geno is definitely a very good player, just can't see giving him more money than Sid come contract time. Hopefully he would sign for the same money as Sid, if not, I'd say thanks and goodbye.

people still don't get this?

THE CBA IS NOT THE SAME. SO EVEN IF HE WANTED THE EXACT SAME CONTRACT AS SID HE WOULD HAVE A HIGHER CAP HIT BY 1.2 MILLION

Ok, I don't get it, but I still wouldn't pay him more than Sid.

A 12-year deal like Crosby signed is prohibited by the new CBA. The best Malkin can do is 8 years by re-signing with the Pens, and if he follows the same salary/structure of the first 8 years on Crosby's contract then it works out to about a $10.8-million cap hit.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby headh on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:32 am

Then the Pens are at the end of their run with both 87 and 71
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Buccobruce on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:25 am

headh wrote:Then the Pens are at the end of their run with both 87 and 71

Unlikely...Pens will pay whatever Geno wants. Someone else will be on chopping block likely one of the defenseman.
Buccobruce
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penmyst on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:57 am

Maybe I wasn't clear enough?

It's OK to say that Malkin is playing poorly at this moment. He is nowhere near his own high standards.

Until, and ONLY until, he or the team actually comes out and discloses an injury----- it is absurd to twist yourself into pretzels trying to explain away his awful play (at this moment) by hanging it on an injury. There has been no disclosure of such an injury. Therefore, it is more silly to assume there IS an injury, than it is to assume there is NOT an injury.

The guy is a disaster right now. No need to psychoanalyze it. Sometimes, guys just stink. Hopefully, he gets off his slump and starts helping this team.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby taz71 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:26 am

I think playing in Russia hurt him. Probably picked up some bad habits and with injuries hasn't gotten his timing down. As well between injuries and changing linemates he just hasn't got into any kind of rhythm. He is definitely one of those players that responds poorly to criticism. Maybe he isn't in great shape in comparison to how he was last year after aggressively recovering from his ACL.

If Iggy and Malkin get some chemistry its game on. Only positive in having Neal out for malkin is a big adjustment in his play style that could benefit them both when Neal returns.
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:16 am

I think that since he has once played at a 110+ point pace, he is currently at a 110+ point pace. You're really only ever as bad as your best season.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby headh on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:36 am

Buccobruce wrote:
headh wrote:Then the Pens are at the end of their run with both 87 and 71

Unlikely...Pens will pay whatever Geno wants. Someone else will be on chopping block likely one of the defenseman.

I'm certainly no expert on the topic of the NHL salary cap. My understanding is that the cap is going down next season. It can't be easy for the Penguins to justify tying up $10.8 million on one player in a decreasing cap environment. Can it?
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:51 am

For the best player in the history of athletics, I think they can afford it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:55 am

You don't let generational talents walk away from your team. You pay him what he wants.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:00 am

Plus, from what I understand, the cap is only going down for one season for adjustment purposes. It is expected to rise again after that. How much, we don't know, but the NHL is flying high right now, so I expect a decent increase going forward.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:01 am

Malkamaniac wrote:You don't let generational talents walk away from your team. You pay him what he wants.

Or trade them for a treasure chest.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:03 am

Pitts wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:You don't let generational talents walk away from your team. You pay him what he wants.

Or trade them for a treasure chest.

Fine with that as well. Only after you've explored every option and look at it as a nuclear deal to change the team.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:04 am

He would still have the same 8.7 cap hit next season, for the low $64+ cap hit "reset" season, right? The new deal (and there will be a new deal) would kick in 2014-15?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby headh on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:04 am

Idoit40fans wrote:For the best player in the history of athletics, I think they can afford it.

I don't think the question is "Can you afford it?"

I think the question is "Can you win a championship while paying one player that much?"

I don't claim to know that answer but Sid is taking a discount for a reason.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:06 am

headh wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:For the best player in the history of athletics, I think they can afford it.

I think the question is "Can you win a championship while paying one player that much?"

Technically they've already answered that question. In 2009 when they won it with $56 million :pop:
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby headh on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:09 am

Malkamaniac wrote:
headh wrote:

Technically they've already answered that question. In 2009 when they won it with $56 million :pop:

Which one of their players was counting 10+ mil against the cap?

The question I am posing is can you win a cup with one player chewing up that much in cap space?
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:11 am

Crosby was making 9 million that year. Cap hit 8.7 million. Gonchar with a 5 million cap hit. I'd say that's about as close as you'll get to the answer you posed. However two people paid almost max amount? You're in new territory.
Last edited by Malkamaniac on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby headh on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:12 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:He would still have the same 8.7 cap hit next season, for the low $64+ cap hit "reset" season, right? The new deal (and there will be a new deal) would kick in 2014-15?

And next year is also his last season under contract. So they are either extending him or trading him at a point in time when his cap hit will exceed Sid's and the cap will have contracted from 2012-2013.

So the new deal begins in 2014-2015 but we don't know how much yet and we don't know if the Pens will have extended him or traded him. This could be our last cup run with all the pieces in place.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:15 am

I'd also have to wait and see what Malkin actually wants. People are penciling in 10million+. I think he likes Pittsburgh and I could seem him and Crosby having matching caps again.

If they also care about winning cups, they simple understand that they can't ask for max and play here.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:42 am

headh wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
headh wrote:

Which one of their players was counting 10+ mil against the cap?

The question I am posing is can you win a cup with one player chewing up that much in cap space?

Answer: None

When they won the cup in 2009, Malkin, Letang, and Kennedy were still on their ELCs with a combined cap hit of $2,195,867 ($5,210,867 - $3,015,000 bonus cushion).

Crosby's $8.7-million cap hit accounted for 15.3% of their $56.7-million salary cap.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby TrueNorth on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:21 pm

penmyst wrote:Maybe I wasn't clear enough?

It's OK to say that Malkin is playing poorly at this moment. He is nowhere near his own high standards.

Until, and ONLY until, he or the team actually comes out and discloses an injury----- it is absurd to twist yourself into pretzels trying to explain away his awful play (at this moment) by hanging it on an injury. There has been no disclosure of such an injury. Therefore, it is more silly to assume there IS an injury, than it is to assume there is NOT an injury.

The guy is a disaster right now. No need to psychoanalyze it. Sometimes, guys just stink. Hopefully, he gets off his slump and starts helping this team.

I’m not trying to start anything here, but you’ve pushed one of my hot buttons. I’m tempted to say, get off your high horse, but I’m not sure it was your intention to insult those who have speculated that Malkin may be dealing with an underlying injury or may have tweaked something that is affecting his play. I’m willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that your choice of words (absurd, silly) was just unfortunate. I hope that’s the case.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby HomerPenguin on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:39 pm

TrueNorth wrote:
penmyst wrote:Maybe I wasn't clear enough?

I’m not trying to start anything here, but you’ve pushed one of my hot buttons. I’m tempted to say, get off your high horse, but I’m not sure it was your intention to insult those who have speculated that Malkin may be dealing with an underlying injury or may have tweaked something that is affecting his play. I’m willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that your choice of words (absurd, silly) was just unfortunate. I hope that’s the case.

HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby headh on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:17 pm

Scoring a GWG
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pcm on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:30 pm

To put it in perspective, other than Neal, the winger Malkin has played the most games with is Zach Boychuk. And that was something like 8 games. It's been a rotating door on Malkin's wing. He can't do everything on the ice on his own, and it takes time to learn to play with each different player.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins