Chemistry and line combinations

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Chemistry and line combinations

Postby Nizzy on Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:25 am

Pens4Life wrote:
DelPen wrote:From practice today:

14-71-12
10-36-9
24-16-48
15-27-19

44-4
2-3
58-47
41-5


Switch Bennett and TK and then is better..


Seriously... How does Kennedy keep getting these opportunities? Wasn't this why Jokinen was brought in?

Kennedy 39/5/4/9 -3
Bennett 20/3/7/10 7

GP, G, A, P, +/-

Bennett's been up and down. Kennedy had a large streak on the same line to attempt at building chemistry and he was terrible. You could say he didn't start to do anything until he was removed from Sutter/Cooke line. Why is Kennedy back there? This is the Bylsma junk that really gets to me. Tyler Kennedy should not be on the 3rd line anymore. Jordan Staal made him. I just don't understand Bylsma's logic. Bennett had to sit down because we brought in 2 captain forwards for other teams. TK fails at center in his chance. Has failed as 3rd line winger this year. Bennett is looking like such a solid top 9 player. NOPE! BETTER PUT HIM ON THE 4TH LINE WITH ADAMS AND TANNER GLASS.

There is 0 benefit to putting Bennett on the 4th line. Leave the kid at WBS. He's a top 9 player. Kennedy actually looked like he was playing well on the 4th line. NOPE! BETTER GO BACK TO MY LITTLE GRINDING TIGER.

Puke.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,638
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:30 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: Chemistry and line combinations

Postby Beveridge on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:40 am

Nizzy wrote:
There is 0 benefit to putting Bennett on the 4th line. Leave the kid at WBS. He's a top 9 player. Kennedy actually looked like he was playing well on the 4th line. NOPE! BETTER GO BACK TO MY LITTLE GRINDING TIGER.

Puke.


You're going to make that argument AFTER the game where Beau got the game tying goal on the 4th line? It was either Steigy or Errey that pointed out that it gives a little skill to the 4th line having him out there. He isn't going to be playing in the playoffs if everyone is healthy. Once again, if we're discussing who should be playing on 3rd or 4th line, things aren't really that bad.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,980
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:38 pm
Location: Punxsutawney

Re: Chemistry and line combinations

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:41 am

I hope he is playing in the playoffs with everyone healthy. He's one of the best 12 forwards.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 55,335
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Chemistry and line combinations

Postby DelPen on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:46 am

I'm not seeing any "chemistry" between Iginla and Malkin. Is it because he's hurt or they jsut don't mesh well together? Who knows. But there's no reason to not try Iginla with Sid when he's back at this point.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 44,590
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Chemistry and line combinations

Postby headh on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:08 am

DelPen wrote:I'm not seeing any "chemistry" between Iginla and Malkin. Is it because he's hurt or they jsut don't mesh well together? Who knows. But there's no reason to not try Iginla with Sid when he's back at this point.


It seems a little early to declare the Iginla-Malkin combination a mismatch. You may wind up being correct but I'd say they looked their best together in their last game together.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 471
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:07 am

Re: Chemistry and line combinations

Postby Nizzy on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:21 am

Beveridge wrote:
Nizzy wrote:
There is 0 benefit to putting Bennett on the 4th line. Leave the kid at WBS. He's a top 9 player. Kennedy actually looked like he was playing well on the 4th line. NOPE! BETTER GO BACK TO MY LITTLE GRINDING TIGER.

Puke.


You're going to make that argument AFTER the game where Beau got the game tying goal on the 4th line? It was either Steigy or Errey that pointed out that it gives a little skill to the 4th line having him out there. He isn't going to be playing in the playoffs if everyone is healthy. Once again, if we're discussing who should be playing on 3rd or 4th line, things aren't really that bad.


Only way Bennett should be on the 4th line is if:

Dupuis Crosby Iginla
Kunitz Malkin Neal
Cooke Sutter Morrow

is Healthy.

There should be no TK above Bennett.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,638
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:30 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: Chemistry and line combinations

Postby Beveridge on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:23 am

Not going to argue beau vs tk, I agree with you.

I'm just saying playing him on the 4th line is better than not playing him and that playing on the 4th line isn't the end of the world.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,980
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:38 pm
Location: Punxsutawney

Re: Chemistry and line combinations

Postby Nizzy on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:29 am

Beveridge wrote:Not going to argue beau vs tk, I agree with you.

I'm just saying playing him on the 4th line is better than not playing him and that playing on the 4th line isn't the end of the world.


We need players that can get to their game on the 4th line.

Glass Adams Kennedy

-Dannie B.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,638
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:30 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: Chemistry and line combinations

Postby headh on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:31 am

Nizzy wrote:
Beveridge wrote:
Nizzy wrote:
There is 0 benefit to putting Bennett on the 4th line. Leave the kid at WBS. He's a top 9 player. Kennedy actually looked like he was playing well on the 4th line. NOPE! BETTER GO BACK TO MY LITTLE GRINDING TIGER.

Puke.


You're going to make that argument AFTER the game where Beau got the game tying goal on the 4th line? It was either Steigy or Errey that pointed out that it gives a little skill to the 4th line having him out there. He isn't going to be playing in the playoffs if everyone is healthy. Once again, if we're discussing who should be playing on 3rd or 4th line, things aren't really that bad.


Only way Bennett should be on the 4th line is if:

Dupuis Crosby Iginla
Kunitz Malkin Neal
Cooke Sutter Morrow

is Healthy.

There should be no TK above Bennett.


I like your top 6 but I think the third and fourth lines should be
10-36- 19
24-16-48
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 471
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:07 am

Re: Chemistry and line combinations

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:33 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I hope he is playing in the playoffs with everyone healthy. He's one of the best 12 forwards.


Yes he is.

But we know he won't be.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,868
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Chemistry and line combinations

Postby Nizzy on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:48 am



9 Dupuis 87 Crosby 12 Iginla
14 Kunitz 71 Malkin 18 Neal
24 Cooke 16 Sutter 10 Morrow
36 Jokinen 27 Adams 48 Kennedy
15 Glass
19 Bennett
46 Vitale
17 Jeffrey

7 Martin 44 Orpik
58 Letang 47 Despres
2 Niskanen 3 Murray
4 Eaton
41 Bortuzzo
5 Engelland

29 Fleury
92 Vokoun
37 Zatoff



How many players are you able to play in the playoffs, is it 20 as well? It's going to be interesting because when we won the cup in 2009, we used 11 forwards, 7 defenseman. We are stacked at depth for both right now. I want Bennett over Kennedy on every line besides the 4th line. I want Letang - Despres, but it probably won't happen. Mark Eaton is a great vet, great number 7 for a playoff run right now. I just don't think his speed will keep up in the playoffs.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,638
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:30 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: Chemistry and line combinations

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:50 am

Despres is not going to be playing in the playoffs over Eaton unless he's playing sheltered minutes on the 3rd pairing
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,694
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Chemistry and line combinations

Postby Nizzy on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:51 am

headh wrote:
Nizzy wrote:
Beveridge wrote:
Nizzy wrote:
There is 0 benefit to putting Bennett on the 4th line. Leave the kid at WBS. He's a top 9 player. Kennedy actually looked like he was playing well on the 4th line. NOPE! BETTER GO BACK TO MY LITTLE GRINDING TIGER.

Puke.


You're going to make that argument AFTER the game where Beau got the game tying goal on the 4th line? It was either Steigy or Errey that pointed out that it gives a little skill to the 4th line having him out there. He isn't going to be playing in the playoffs if everyone is healthy. Once again, if we're discussing who should be playing on 3rd or 4th line, things aren't really that bad.


Only way Bennett should be on the 4th line is if:

Dupuis Crosby Iginla
Kunitz Malkin Neal
Cooke Sutter Morrow

is Healthy.

There should be no TK above Bennett.


I like your top 6 but I think the third and fourth lines should be
10-36- 19
24-16-48


Sutter on the 4th line C? Am I completely missing something?
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,638
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:30 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: Chemistry and line combinations

Postby Nizzy on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:52 am

MRandall25 wrote:Despres is not going to be playing in the playoffs over Eaton unless he's playing sheltered minutes on the 3rd pairing


I know you're right, but I hope you're wrong. Eaton is a great fill in guy. I just don't think he has enough left, enough speed for a long playoff run to not get exposed.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,638
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:30 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: Chemistry and line combinations

Postby headh on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:03 am

Nizzy wrote:
headh wrote:
Nizzy wrote:
Beveridge wrote:
Nizzy wrote:
There is 0 benefit to putting Bennett on the 4th line. Leave the kid at WBS. He's a top 9 player. Kennedy actually looked like he was playing well on the 4th line. NOPE! BETTER GO BACK TO MY LITTLE GRINDING TIGER.

Puke.


You're going to make that argument AFTER the game where Beau got the game tying goal on the 4th line? It was either Steigy or Errey that pointed out that it gives a little skill to the 4th line having him out there. He isn't going to be playing in the playoffs if everyone is healthy. Once again, if we're discussing who should be playing on 3rd or 4th line, things aren't really that bad.


Only way Bennett should be on the 4th line is if:

Dupuis Crosby Iginla
Kunitz Malkin Neal
Cooke Sutter Morrow

is Healthy.

There should be no TK above Bennett.


I like your top 6 but I think the third and fourth lines should be
10-36- 19
24-16-48


Sutter on the 4th line C? Am I completely missing something?


Don't feel bad. Apparently I am in the minority on this one. JJ looks to be better offensively imo. He is certainly a better face off guy
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 471
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:07 am

Re: Chemistry and line combinations

Postby DelPen on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:03 am

Nizzy wrote:[b]
when we won the cup in 2009, we used 11 forwards, 7 defenseman.


Where did this myth start? There were some games when Gonchar was out in the Caps series and after he came back that we dressed 7 because Gogo couldn't be trusted in his own end yet so Boucher was dressed in case and then Bylsma wanted insurance again for Gonchar's knee in the game.

it was Gonchar, Orpik, Letang, Eaton, Gill and Scuderi only for:

5 out of 6 Flyers games (Letang missed 1 for Boucher but still drssed only 6)
4 out of 7 Caps games
0 out of 4 Canes games
6 of the 7 Wings games

So the ONLY reason we ever saw 7 defensemen was because of an injury to Gonchar that required Gogo to come in for PP but Boucher played in ES situations then as insurance in case Gonchar's knee went out again.

When Letang missed a game we saw Boucher, you can bet if anyone else but Gonchar went out we would have just seen 6 defensemen still.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 44,590
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Chemistry and line combinations

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:04 am

Yeah, I saw that posted many times and knew it was not correct but didn't care about it enough to prove it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 55,335
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Chemistry and line combinations

Postby BleuLineLady on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:06 am

In my opinion, Bylsma has to have Bennett and Jokinen out there for the playoffs. They are both too good not to play. When Crosby and Neal get back, why not form a Jokinen, Bennett, Adams line. That's actually a very skillful 4th line. Not as much grit, but I think that line possesses a scoring threat that the current 4th line does not have.
BleuLineLady
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,379
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:54 am

Re: Chemistry and line combinations

Postby DelPen on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:08 am

9-87-12
14-71-18
10-36-19
24-16-27

:)
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 44,590
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Chemistry and line combinations

Postby Nizzy on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:32 am

DelPen wrote:
Nizzy wrote:[b]
when we won the cup in 2009, we used 11 forwards, 7 defenseman.


Where did this myth start? There were some games when Gonchar was out in the Caps series and after he came back that we dressed 7 because Gogo couldn't be trusted in his own end yet so Boucher was dressed in case and then Bylsma wanted insurance again for Gonchar's knee in the game.

it was Gonchar, Orpik, Letang, Eaton, Gill and Scuderi only for:

5 out of 6 Flyers games (Letang missed 1 for Boucher but still drssed only 6)
4 out of 7 Caps games
0 out of 4 Canes games
6 of the 7 Wings games

So the ONLY reason we ever saw 7 defensemen was because of an injury to Gonchar that required Gogo to come in for PP but Boucher played in ES situations then as insurance in case Gonchar's knee went out again.

When Letang missed a game we saw Boucher, you can bet if anyone else but Gonchar went out we would have just seen 6 defensemen still.




I recall Crosby/Malkin taking turns double shifting as the 4th line Center. I know Sykora had nothing left at that time, and Satan was locked in on the 4th line.

Kunitz Crosby Dupuis/Guerin
Talbot Malkin Fedotenko
Cooke Staal Kennedy
Satan Adams/Guerin

Was Sykora still being dressed? I honestly can't remember. So I assumed we rolled with 7 D the entire time.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,638
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:30 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: Chemistry and line combinations

Postby DelPen on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:36 am

Crosby and Malkin took turns occasionaly between Dupuis and Satan/Adams. Dupuis was a regular 4th liner on the Cup team. Sykora dressed a few games but got hurt in the finals and Satan came back in.

But for the most part, 6 good defensemen.

We have the same with: Martin, Orpik, Letang, Eaton, Nisky and Murray. We don't have one really good PP specialist so I doubt we see 7 defensemen ever dressed unless Bylsma doesn't expect a top 6 to be able to finish a game so we aren't left with 5 D.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 44,590
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Chemistry and line combinations

Postby Nizzy on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:42 am

IF the Penguins are lucky enough to bring the cup back to Pittsburgh this year. I'll be extremely extremely shocked if Mark Eaton plays the entire playoffs for us. One of Despres or Bortuzzo will be playing a big role. Book it.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,638
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:30 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: Chemistry and line combinations

Postby DelPen on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:49 am

Nizzy wrote:IF the Penguins are lucky enough to bring the cup back to Pittsburgh this year. I'll be extremely extremely shocked if Mark Eaton plays the entire playoffs for us. One of Despres or Bortuzzo will be playing a big role. Book it.


You spelled Engellend wrong :(
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 44,590
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Chemistry and line combinations

Postby pens_CT on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:38 am

Nizzy wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Despres is not going to be playing in the playoffs over Eaton unless he's playing sheltered minutes on the 3rd pairing


I know you're right, but I hope you're wrong. Eaton is a great fill in guy. I just don't think he has enough left, enough speed for a long playoff run to not get exposed.

I'll use a line from your favorite GM about Eaton, "he's 35 not 45". Experience, positioning, and smarts will offset lack of speed.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,016
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Chemistry and line combinations

Postby headh on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:54 am

Nizzy wrote:IF the Penguins are lucky enough to bring the cup back to Pittsburgh this year. I'll be extremely extremely shocked if Mark Eaton plays the entire playoffs for us. One of Despres or Bortuzzo will be playing a big role. Book it.


Eaton will play every shift the second defensive pairing plays in the post season
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 471
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:07 am

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dj2wicks and 14 guests


e-mail