Mario's TV coming back?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Mario's TV coming back?

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:07 pm

It was a cool thing at Mellon when NBC didn't mess it up. And with Mellon gone and trees now planted where the screen was last year, does the screen even go up for this year?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Mario's TV coming back?

Postby Kovy27 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:09 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:It was a cool thing at Mellon when NBC didn't mess it up. And with Mellon gone and trees now planted where the screen was last year, does the screen even go up for this year?

I could see them putting it in a lot across from CEC. The problem of where it was last year, it started to tie up traffic.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PhantomJB93 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:17 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:It was a cool thing at Mellon when NBC didn't mess it up. And with Mellon gone and trees now planted where the screen was last year, does the screen even go up for this year?

I could see them putting it in a lot across from CEC. The problem of where it was last year, it started to tie up traffic.

Yeah I know it wasn't as nice as it was back when they had it in the grass outside of Mellon, but the lot they had it for the Lightning series in 2011 was a much better location than last year's, IMO.

I personally hope whenever the Igloo's old spot is re-developed that a permanent area is made for this kind of thing.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:20 pm

They could put it down at PNC Park. Nothing exciting happening down there lately.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:08 am

FreeCandy44 wrote:They could put it down at PNC Park. Nothing exciting happening down there lately.

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:03 am

They should just demolish some low income housing on the hill and make a spot there.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:56 am

Idoit40fans wrote:They should just demolish some low income housing on the hill and make a spot there.

This.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:01 am

The spot they have it now on the CEC grass just is ok. That is a nice spot to hang if your 15-22 yrs old.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kovy27 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:02 am

no name wrote:The spot they have it now on the CEC grass just is ok. That is a nice spot to hang if your 15-22 yrs old.

Didn't they plant trees there?
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:03 am

no name wrote:The spot they have it now on the CEC grass just is ok. That is a nice spot to hang if your 15-22 yrs old.

:pop: Then at this time of year its a nice place for males aged 23-40 to hang out.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:11 am

Kovy27 wrote:

Didn't they plant trees there?

They take them out for the playoffs.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:17 am

Thats bad treatment of trees. :pop: The Penguins are a horrible organization.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:23 am

Always hated this, still do.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jopaz on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:38 am

Since it appears there is no longer a good spot for this (without taking up valuable parking lot space or blocking streets), here is a suggestion:
- Do not do this for home games. Parking and traffic are already tight without adding several thousand more people to the area around CEC.
- For away games, open up the arena and have small admisssion charge that goes to charity. The video and sound inside CEC is so much better, there are comfortable seats, and no issues with rain or cold.

Or, as some else mentioned, set it up at the parking lots by PNC Park or Heinz Field. If you are not inside the arena, does it really matter if you are sitting just outside the game or in another part of town? It is just a gathering of fans to watch the game and could be held anywhere.
Jopaz
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:55 am

Jopaz wrote:Since it appears there is no longer a good spot for this (without taking up valuable parking lot space or blocking streets), here is a suggestion:
- Do not do this for home games. Parking and traffic are already tight without adding several thousand more people to the area around CEC.
- For away games, open up the arena and have small admisssion charge that goes to charity. The video and sound inside CEC is so much better, there are comfortable seats, and no issues with rain or cold.

Or, as some else mentioned, set it up at the parking lots by PNC Park or Heinz Field. If you are not inside the arena, does it really matter if you are sitting just outside the game or in another part of town? It is just a gathering of fans to watch the game and could be held anywhere.

Love this idea, if they would just open the lower bowl and have the concession stands open they would make a killing. No worries about the weather It wouldn't be unrealistic that they could get 3000 fans in there for that. I would take my kids to watch a game for something controled like this. I fear losing my kids in that crowd the way it is now.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:11 am

DocEmrick wrote:Always hated this, still do.

Why would someone "hate" this?

Oh wait, its you. Never mind.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:42 am

no name wrote:
Jopaz wrote:Since it appears there is no longer a good spot for this (without taking up valuable parking lot space or blocking streets), here is a suggestion:

Love this idea, if they would just open the lower bowl and have the concession stands open they would make a killing. No worries about the weather It wouldn't be unrealistic that they could get 3000 fans in there for that. I would take my kids to watch a game for something controled like this. I fear losing my kids in that crowd the way it is now.

There are a lot of costs to operating the arena though, not to mention other events there on Penguins off-days.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:56 am

PhantomJB93 wrote:I personally hope whenever the Igloo's old spot is re-developed that a permanent area is made for this kind of thing.

I was down in Dallas a few years ago when they were playing the Wings in the Western conference final, and went to a game, and whether it was permanent or not, the area outside of the arena where the bars, etc were had a giant TV showing the game. It was pretty cool.

Like you said, hopefully when they develop the old arena area, maybe they will have something like this.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bioshock on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:33 am

slappybrown wrote:
DocEmrick wrote:Always hated this, still do.

Why would someone "hate" this?

Oh wait, its you. Never mind.

Yeah, don't understand statements like this. Let people enjoy themselves. If a TV outside creates a good fan atmosphere then I'm all for it. Just harmless fun.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Fire0nice228 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:36 am

I've not made it down to experience this yet but would definitely like to. Hope they figure out something good for it.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:53 am

Fire0nice228 wrote:I've not made it down to experience this yet but would definitely like to. Hope they figure out something good for it.

I wouldnt waste your time. I went in I think it was 2008. Too many annoying idiot kids looking for attention. Get off my lawn.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:28 am

Doc doesn't like the TV because it emits radio transmissions that interfere with his ability to speak telepathicly with aliens.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:31 pm

so very cool! I went in 2010, cold night against ottawa. and in 09, warm saturday against the canes. It was amazing to watch the big screen highlights, see the crowds gather.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:32 pm

I get the idea of not wanting to have it for home games because of the traffic nightmare and other factors...but I must say, I got the chance to go to a finals game in '09...walking up to Mellon with all those people there and all the activity and noise going on - people on the lawn talking to people going in the gates telling them to be loud, etc...it was a pretty surreal feeling.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PensHckyFan79 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:40 pm

mac5155 wrote:
no name wrote:

There are a lot of costs to operating the arena though, not to mention other events there on Penguins off-days.

I believe they did this in 09' for the SCF games that were away in Detriot (at least game 7 I think)
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins