Shirt off your back night

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Shirt off your back night

Postby MarioLives on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:34 am

Hi,
I will be at the Pens last home game this season. Does anyone know if they will be doing the shirt off your back that night? If so, how does that work? Is it a random drawing?

Thanks for your help.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Shirt off your back night

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:37 am

I think they just randomly select people as they enter, but i'm not sure. I know someone who has got Crosby's jersey and my friend got Oliwa's jersey back in the day. So great. They'll definitely be doing it that day, always the last home game.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MarioLives on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:39 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I think they just randomly select people as they enter, but i'm not sure. I know someone who has got Crosby's jersey and my friend got Oliwa's jersey back in the day. So great. They'll definitely be doing it that day, always the last home game.

Awesome, thanks for the info!
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DMcGrew on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:14 am

I won a few years ago. Got Letang's jersey. As soon as I sat down in my seat a lady came over and asked to see my ticket then she told me I was going to get a jersey. I thought it was only STH that were selected.. but I'm not 100% sure.
DMcGrew
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jimjom on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:07 pm

Lots of times, it is predetermined. People in the seats between the blue lines, people with big money jobs at sponsors or their friends & family, friends of Morehouse, etc. I believe that there is some randomness to it just so people don't cry foul, but just as with the season ticket delivery, Pens marketing brass knows who they'll be targeting ahead of time.

Personally, as a Plan B STH, I'd rather have opening night tickets than allegedly having a 1/19,000 "chance" at a replica jersey with a fight strap sewn in to look real. The Pens should alternate years for Plan A/B. Another example of Plan B'ers getting the shaft. Don't believe me? Check out the Friday/Saturday games for Plan A vs B.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:22 pm

Do you have any proof about those winning the jerseys?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:39 pm

i remember the photos; Letang, I think!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby blurryhaze312 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:47 pm

jimjom wrote:Personally, as a Plan B STH, I'd rather have opening night tickets than allegedly having a 1/19,000 "chance" at a replica jersey with a fight strap sewn in to look real.

Unless I'm just missing the sarcasm, the jerseys are legit player-issued shirts, assuming I remember the pics correctly that D posted a few years back. Are they worn the entire game? Probably not - perhaps only a period - but they aren't replicas, that's for sure.

Spoiler:
I'm sure it's a total shocker that I'm posting in this thread.... :lol:
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby WHITEY1 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:05 pm

A few years back at the igloo they used to hand out scratch ticketes to fans as they walked into the building. There was a lady handing them out at the door and was picking random fans as she took a ticket off the bottom of her pile to give to my daughter. My daughter had her face all painted half black half gold with the 87 on the cheek all dolled up in all her Pens gear. Luckily we won a shirt off the back that night (no we were not season ticket holders but try to make a few games a year). Once chosen everyone had to go downstairs to an office after the 2nd period where everyone drew a # to determine the order in which you would pick form the next fish bowl. My daughter got the 2nd pick. Once everyone was lined up she picked from the next fish bowl and got no other than Gary Roberts (we still have it framed on my wall in the basement to this day). It was funny becasue after she received it she put it on and said wow this thing stinks and it went from her shoulders almost to the ground at that point in her life. On this inside there is a patch that said opffical game worn jersey.
WHITEY1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:07 pm

I guess the players practice in them so they soak them with sweat too. I think jimjom's post is a joke, but I guess its possible that its real. It seems like something I'd post as a way over the top joke though.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby blurryhaze312 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:09 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I think jimjom's post is a joke, but I guess its possible that its real. It seems like something I'd post as a way over the top joke though.

I thought so at first, too...but the rant on Package A or B threw me. :lol:
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jwest21 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:26 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I guess the players practice in them so they soak them with sweat too.

If I win one, I will zip-lock it away to preserve the sweat
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Great58 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:30 pm

The players sign them too, yes? What's the preferred method of cleaning them before display so as to not ruin the sharpie? Dry clean? Or is wash ok?
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jwest21 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:32 pm

Great58 wrote:The players sign them too, yes? What's the preferred method of cleaning them before display so as to not ruin the sharpie? Dry clean? Or is wash ok?

Honestly, I am not sure I would take the chance at either. I would probably hand-wash it with water and a little soap then lay it out in the sun to dry it and that's about it.
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby blurryhaze312 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:40 pm

Yea...if you want to preserve the auto, I wouldn't do much more than what jwest said.

Besides, I've not heard good stories about jerseys getting dry cleaned - you might risk ruining more than just the autograph.

As a rule, if you absolutely have to wash a jersey, turn it inside out (to protect the crest) and put it in the washing machine on a gentle cycle, adding only a little bit of detergent. Hang dry over night.

Hand washing really is the best bet though, especially if you are only concerned about a nacho cheese stain from the CEC. :slug:
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:57 pm

Whoever wins Crosby's jersey should pose with this:
Spoiler:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jwest21 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:10 pm

the wicked child wrote:Whoever wins Crosby's jersey should pose with this:
Spoiler:

Good idea- I will!
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby CERV96 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:23 pm

When I went to the fantasy camp the only gear they did not wash was our jerseys. After I got all my signatures when camp ended I took it Diane cleaners in Moon for dry cleaning. I was specific in saying be caredful. They did one awesome job.

/csb
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DMcGrew on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:59 pm

The jerseys aren't actually the ones they wear in the game. They all go back to the locker room and swap out for a special "shirts off our back jersey." It has a special patch on the inside. I know it wasn't worn in the game because It had no damage and hardly any sweat.. only sweat was around the neck. Here are some pics from when I won Letang's jersey..

DMcGrew
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby blurryhaze312 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:23 am

In these new Edge model jerseys you wouldn't get much if any damage if only worn for a single period anyways. Heck, a lot of the jerseys worn for halfs of seasons don't get much damage. As for sweat, most of the jersey is made with fabric that is supposed to wick away moisture, so I'm not sure that is much of an indication either. *shrug*

CERV96 wrote:When I went to the fantasy camp the only gear they did not wash was our jerseys. After I got all my signatures when camp ended I took it Diane cleaners in Moon for dry cleaning. I was specific in saying be caredful. They did one awesome job.

/csb

Good! I know I have heard certain jersey types can possibly be ruined by dry cleaning chemicals, but don't recall if it is the new edge models or older ones.
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby beachinit on Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:58 am

In the Igloo we sat in E19 Row M and the lady next to me was lucky enough to get a Fleury jersey. She said it smelled so bad that it had to go into a trunk to get home. She had it professionally cleaned and framed. Looks nice. My point is that they not only pick the expensive seats but they also pick the cheap seats as well.
beachinit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MarioLives on Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:34 am

DMcGrew wrote:The jerseys aren't actually the ones they wear in the game. They all go back to the locker room and swap out for a special "shirts off our back jersey." It has a special patch on the inside. I know it wasn't worn in the game because It had no damage and hardly any sweat.. only sweat was around the neck. Here are some pics from when I won Letang's jersey..

That is the coolest thing in the world!
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Fire0nice228 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:37 pm

A buddy of mine won Matt Bradleys jersey a few years ago.. I havn't seen it in quite awhile, and I don't remember any special tags or anything like that, but I DO remember it having faint yellow stains and reeking of sweat, also a few board blisters in the elbow area... In my opinion it most definitely was not just thrown on, worn out, and taken off within minutes. Of course, this was several years ago and these pics look more current.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins