Game 40 vs. Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 40 vs. Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:18 pm

Jokinen really has showed me a lot since being acquired. They serve different purposes though so its hard to compare them. Based on his defensive abililty you have to value Sutter higher, but Jokinen is better in the offensive zone.

I'd like to see Jokinen center the 4th line once everyone is healthy.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NeddieVedder on Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:57 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Well I'm not sure if they even played 5 full games together in the regular season and we whooped Ottawa in 4 (5?) games, so that makes sense.

Some people were, as you might imagine, still very angsty.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23428&hilit=hossa+show+up
NeddieVedder
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:29 pm

Penspal wrote:Hate to see Jordan Staal struggle, but I didn't mind last night.

Why do you care? He's not our concern anymore.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:30 pm

Jokinen has been a kick ass addition so far.
Last edited by Sarcastic on Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shakes on Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:30 pm

NeddieVedder wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:Well I'm not sure if they even played 5 full games together in the regular season and we whooped Ottawa in 4 (5?) games, so that makes sense.

Some people were, as you might imagine, still very angsty.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23428&hilit=hossa+show+up

Fun thread to revisit.

farnham16 wrote:Hossa has been fine so far and will start to score goals very soon. He's going to be a hero for us before the playoffs are over.

Yes, yes he was.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:37 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:Jokinen really has showed me a lot since being acquired. They serve different purposes though so its hard to compare them. Based on his defensive abililty you have to value Sutter higher, but Jokinen is better in the offensive zone.

I'd like to see Jokinen center the 4th line once everyone is healthy.

Jokinen is actually the kind of forward I wanted Shero to get for a long time. He's clearly skilled and can be productive in the right setting, but isn't too expensive. The kind of player Wings always seemed to get... these guys who can play smart and chip in some points now and then.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pugilist13 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:53 pm

Sarcastic wrote:Jokinen has been a kick ass addition so far.

He has for sure. I just hope he keeps it up. His photo appeared on milk cartons in Raleigh and Tampa at times. Hopefully a chance at winning the cup will negate any of that.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:55 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
Penspal wrote:Hate to see Jordan Staal struggle, but I didn't mind last night.

Why do you care? He's not our concern anymore.

I still like him. I want him to succeed.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SoupOrSam on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:17 pm

darkstar57 wrote:-Dupius really is showing that his play the past two years is more a result of him hitting another level as a player and less to do with crosby carrying him. He has just been outstanding.

I agree. Playing with Crosby sort of completely changed the way Dupius sees the ice imo. So much more of a threat than he is given credit for and he is a machine of energy like Crosby. Hope the Pens treat him well, but hope he sees the "other" side also. But, at his age, he just might go after the money for family and financial security.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:21 pm

Dupuis didn't hit another level as a player in his 30s. He has always been a solid 20 goal a season player when given a chance in a scoring situation. He has been put in a situation where he's not just a checker and thats where the change has come from.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:38 pm

Jokinen has been awesome. Jokinen has also played wing quite often. Now, sadly Bennett will most likely come out of the line-up once Neal returns. All this being said, I see these lines as giving us the best combination of depth and strength:

Dupuis-Sid-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Jokinen(Sutter and Jokinen can switch off on face-off situations)
Cooke-Kennedy-Glass/Vitale/Adams

-instead of dressing an extra dman, you dress and extra forward and allow the third line to toggle between Cooke and Morrow(let's morrow rest his legs)
-Kunitz benefits Malkin more than Sid. While I don't like breaking something that works, Sid's line should be just as successful with Iginla.
-Sutter is better than Jokinen defensively and also is unable to play wing at this point, so Sutter remains at center, but both can take faceoffs.
-the 4th line should be self-explanatory there. That's imply a lethal 4th line anyway you look at it.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:16 pm

I think it is positively amazing that Carolina has helped us build this team and our organization this year. They first take a "no win" situation like the Staal contract and turn it into a solid 3rd line Center for this year and two defensive prospects for our organization - one of which is touted as perhaps our best prospect overall. They then hand us a versatile player who can play all three forward positions anywhere in the top nine, is a solid faceoff, pp and pk guy - and then actually agree to pay some of his salary.

I think if we can win the Cup then Rutherford'd name should go on it too.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby the wicked child on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:19 pm

I don't think it's worth getting too caught up over who is going to have to sit when. It takes more than your optimal top 20 to win the cup. Injuries will happen, so people will get to play.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:28 pm

Again, Dupuis also plays with the best player in the world. Even on a first line on any other team I highly doubt he looks as good as he does here. Same goes for Kunitz--he's barely been noticeable in Crosby's absence.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:21 pm

the wicked child wrote:I don't think it's worth getting too caught up over who is going to have to sit when. It takes more than your optimal top 20 to win the cup. Injuries will happen, so people will get to play.

Agreed. I think it is a safe bet that everyone who has worn a sweater for the Pens this season will eventually be pressed into duty. Maybe not for an extended stretch of games, but at least for a key game here or there.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:24 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Again, Dupuis also plays with the best player in the world. Even on a first line on any other team I highly doubt he looks as good as he does here. Same goes for Kunitz--he's barely been noticeable in Crosby's absence.

Dupuis produces everywhere he plays in the lineup. Kunitz does too. The reason for that is that their games are not all about scoring ala James Neal. When Neal doesn't score, his game suffers overall. The other two do all the little things that matter.

I think that perhaps the biggest contribution this year is actually from Dupuis, in that he has scored so many even strength goals. To have as many as he does with virtually zero PP time is really an accomplishment for him.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Fire0nice228 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:00 pm

Duper had a ton of ES goals last year too.. 11th in the league in ES points last season (55).

Pretty crazy for a guy who was healthy scratched at times in 2009 and had zero points in the 2009 playoff run.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:39 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Sutter is an outstanding shutdown center

i guess hockey nerds can attest to this, but this isn't apparent to the uninitiated. he's without question a defensively responsible center. possibly at a rare level. but he's neither quick nor particularly rangy (like staal was), so i don't know if i'd go as far to say he's an outstanding "shutdown center".

I'd say he's far from it.

I saw a lot of sutter in Carolina and think he's definitely responsible as a two-way center with his effort, but he isn't anything "rare" and can't carry Staal's jock strap when it comes to two way play. I'm not down on him at all, but he's got some holes in his game and can be knocked around rather easily by other forwards. He's a good 3rd liner on a good team, but he isn't going to be considered for the Selke anytime soon.

I'd rather have sutter and his contract than Staal's, but he's not close to being the same player and I think maybe Pens' fans kind of overrate him as a two-way forward. He puts out the effort but simply isn't too strong.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby brwi on Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:43 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:Again, Dupuis also plays with the best player in the world. Even on a first line on any other team I highly doubt he looks as good as he does here. Same goes for Kunitz--he's barely been noticeable in Crosby's absence.

Dupuis produces everywhere he plays in the lineup. Kunitz does too. The reason for that is that their games are not all about scoring ala James Neal. When Neal doesn't score, his game suffers overall. The other two do all the little things that matter.

:thumb:

I'm really down on Neil and I try to curb my posting to keep from being repetitive about it. He's a guy who can play only one position and with only one center(two if you count Brad Richards) and otherwise he sucks, and I mean like AHL-level player and not a NHLer. He also takes some of the dumbest penalties and seems to have little hockey instinct except FEED ME MOAR on the PP. Besides that, he's rather useless. I'd like to see him moved in the off-season while his value is seemingly high.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:56 am

I think that's a perfectly fair description of Neal, but I think AHL level takes it a bit far
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:32 am

Yeah, I think he could create 15 goals playing on a 4th line for a season, but his offense is pretty limited to catch and shoot. Of course its a great shot though.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins