Rank the impact of the new acquisitions

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

It's been a week, who has had the biggest impact?

Brenden Morrow
5%
Douglas Murray
51%
Jarome Iginla
6%
Jussi Jokinen
39%

Total votes : 83

Re: Rank the impact of the new acquisitions

Postby headh on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:48 pm

Luckybreak wrote:
headh wrote:
Luckybreak wrote:Based on what I perceived to be the Pens greatest playoff weakness (highlighted by the Philly series) I voted for Murray. He's exactly what was needed and has exceeded my expectations by adapting to the system whilst covering for the Letang and Martin injuries. We know what we've got and I hope he is re-signed.

Jussi's faceoff domination is more key than the points he's scored, though I think he has had more personal motivation and perhaps more to prove than Morrow or Iginla given his passage through waivers. He adds outstanding depth for the Cup run but doubt he stays on the team given the cap and hints that Iggy *might* want to stay.

I have no doubt that Morrow's physical play will wreak havoc over 7 games, though I maintain he'd be more effective as Geno's LW with Neal playing the 'shooter' role.

Finally there's Iginla who, at least statistically, had the smallest impact. Personally I don't think Bylsma did the right thing bumping Morrow, trying to get Iggy to play LW then forcing Neal to the LW. A new system, new position, then familiar position with a struggling center and displaced winger are not a recipe for success. Kunitz will stabilise the line but what will happen when Sid and Neal return from their respective injuries? Most importantly I want to see Iginla raise the Cup more than any other Pen (new or old).

I agree with every syllable of this post. Finding the correct chemistry among the overwhelming talent and significant role players appears to be the biggest challenge and mystery for the remainder of this season and into the playoffs.

The chemistry challenge is an exciting one to have - I know certain players (eg Dupuis, Jokinen) can fit virtually anywhere, but others (Neal, Iginla) have to be comfortable to really get the most out of them - I hope they have enough time post injury to get into a good rhythm (and that Bylsma can maximise their success in the lineup, something I'm uncertain on so far).

It's odd to think or type here but the injuries may actually help to clarify things for HCDB.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby IMFC on Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:04 pm

Desiato wrote:Murray has addressed the team's greatest need. The Pens have needed a truly intimidating every day player for years. He has the opposition looking over their shoulders.

Also with both Letang and Martin out, we really needed someone solid. And he's fun to watch.

Eaton has been more than we could have hoped as well.
IMFC
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby NashvilleCat on Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:36 pm

IMFC wrote:
Desiato wrote:Murray has addressed the team's greatest need. The Pens have needed a truly intimidating every day player for years. He has the opposition looking over their shoulders.

Also with both Letang and Martin out, we really needed someone solid. And he's fun to watch.

Agree, 15-1 with Eaton in the lineup. Hard to say it was all him but you can't say he hasn't been a big help.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Fire0nice228 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:54 pm

I voted for Murray because he is noticeable every game. Morrow has done exactly as/what I expected him to as well. Jussi, well, I never really liked him much to begin with, but if he plays like this for the rest of this year and all of next then YES YES YES.

Iggy.. something isn't working. Hopefully things get sorted out within the next 2 weeks. I expected more impact and big things from him.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Shakes on Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:04 pm

I think they all want to win this thread. Great game by all of them tonight.

Spoiler:
Shero knows.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens2005 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:08 pm

Am I the only one that thinks Iginla is playing well so far?

Just need to judge these guys come postseason. Truly the only measuring stick.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby knives of ice on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:06 am

well jussi, iginla, and morrow have all been monsters in the playoffs in the past. hopefully that happens again this year.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DesertPenguin on Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:31 am

Jokinen cap hit = 2.1M
Kennedy cap hit = 2.0M

I'll take an inconsistent forward who can win faceoffs and kill penalties over an inconsistent forward who can't do either. Jokinen makes TK expendable on the 3rd line next season, which is fine since him and Sutter never really clicked.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby taz71 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:24 pm

Iggy is really tough to rate i don't think he meshes all that well with geno's style. Especially with malkin in a slump last few games have looked better for him. 5/10 since last night.
Murray has filled a presence when have been lacking so definitely the biggest impact. He is a bottom 3 pairing and PK ideally. 6/6
Morrow is having a tough time adjusting to our up tempo game but makes solid intelligent plays every night. Goal vs Car & made Jokinen's goal last night 5/8
Jokinen is a suprise. top 9 forward playing top 6 making the most of it. 6/6
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:55 pm

knives of ice wrote:well jussi, iginla, and morrow have all been monsters in the playoffs in the past. hopefully that happens again this year.

Doug Murray is a monster every game. Its his thing. I like all 4... they all seem dialed in right now.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:57 pm

IMFC wrote:

Murray - Eaton is the best 3rd pair in the NHL... its not even close.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby pens#1 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:23 pm

I'm waiting for Iginla to break out, not sure if he's under performed or if my expectations were to high
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Caputi19 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:37 pm

Iginlas been solid just not putting points up, but with that hes doing alot of little things. You can tell morrow is getting comfy. Hes been looking better and better. Jokinen is just what we need. Speedy 2 way guy good in the circle. Murray is just what we needed. Slow but anticipates play so well he rarely beaten. If he is his reach is huge. Tank on skates!!!! Shero has done it again folkes!
Caputi19
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:42 pm

Funny how not 2 games or so ago, Morrow was the "problem". Now that he's playing well, suddenly Iginla is "terrible".
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:46 pm

Iginla is hardly terrible... but he has been overshadowed by Morrow and Jokinen the past few games. If we can get him some consistent linemates (preferably Sid or Geno), I have faith that he will produce as well.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens#1 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:59 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Funny how not 2 games or so ago, Morrow was the "problem". Now that he's playing well, suddenly Iginla is "terrible".

Who said he was terrible?
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:00 pm

People are acting like it, hence the "__"

It's just weird how suddenly, the player everyone was complaining about starts playing well, so people turn on the other guy.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:05 pm

the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jwest21 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:15 pm

they all suck. Can we ship them back? Whats the return policy on players? Do we get our assets back or do we get store credit?
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:27 pm

MRandall25 wrote:"People" are acting like it, hence the "__"

It's just weird how "suddenly", the player "everyone" was "complaining" about starts playing well, so "people" turn on the other guy.

I think you misplaced the quotes, so I FIFY. Where are these "people"? Oh that's right, you group the entire board into a single collective entity.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:32 pm

It'sagreatdayforhockey! wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:"People" are acting like it, hence the "__"

It's just weird how "suddenly", the player "everyone" was "complaining" about starts playing well, so "people" turn on the other guy.

I think you misplaced the quotes, so I FIFY. Where are these "people"? Oh that's right, you group the entire board into a single collective entity.

... or the "everyone" could be interpreted as "everyone who was complaining" (which is what I was getting at), but let's just ignore it.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins