Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:47 pm

newarenanow wrote:I still have my original from the Xmas of 88. I have two other ones just in case, but the original one has been going strong for almost 25 years. I'd never sell it either.

Over the years, i've built up 378 different games for that system, all in pretty good condition. I've slowed down some now though because now collecting NES games is the new craze and prices have jumped up. I'd love to get to around 500-550 games. The final 200-250 would start getting difficult to find.

By built up, do you mean you've owned 378, or you actually have 378 NES games on a shelf?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:52 pm

A B A C A B B
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:56 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:A B A C A B B

GET OVER HERE!
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:08 pm

nan what amount of $$$ do you think your collection is worth to the outside market?

Kenny the kangaroo bets that in about 20 years, working NES consoles will be worth a ton.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:09 pm

I am such a nerd that I had a Carmen San Diego game for the NES.

One of my favorites is Maniac Mansion.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:10 pm

newarenanow wrote:Over the years, i've built up 378 different games for that system, all in pretty good condition. I've slowed down some now though because now collecting NES games is the new craze and prices have jumped up. I'd love to get to around 500-550 games. The final 200-250 would start getting difficult to find.

Any cartridges have dead batteries?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:11 pm

Haha I forgot Yo Noid. That was a great game.

As was zombies ate my neighbors
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:37 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I am such a nerd that I had a Carmen San Diego game for the NES.

Great game, the creator just came out with a new game called "the cave"
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:48 pm

this is what ive been screwing around with:

pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:52 pm

Amazing
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:33 pm

lol @ street hockey 95' didn't know the lead singer from the Black Eyed Peas was featured on it
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:45 am

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I am such a nerd that I had a Carmen San Diego game for the NES.

Maniac Mansion is a classic. I love that game.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:16 am

MRandall25 wrote:
newarenanow wrote:I still have my original from the Xmas of 88. I have two other ones just in case, but the original one has been going strong for almost 25 years. I'd never sell it either.

Over the years, i've built up 378 different games for that system, all in pretty good condition. I've slowed down some now though because now collecting NES games is the new craze and prices have jumped up. I'd love to get to around 500-550 games. The final 200-250 would start getting difficult to find.

By built up, do you mean you've owned 378, or you actually have 378 NES games on a shelf?

I have 378 games on a shelf.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:19 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:nan what amount of $$$ do you think your collection is worth to the outside market?

Kenny the kangaroo bets that in about 20 years, working NES consoles will be worth a ton.

I have no idea. I lucked out in when I got most of these games, it was before people really started to collect these. A lot came from my friends just getting rid of their games and stuff, so it was free, others I got for really cheap on ebay or at the Exchange. In the last 2 or 3 years, I saw the prices start to jump up.

If I had to guess, I'd say about $3-4K right now.

I also have a bunch of crap from when I was a kid like some trading cards, the NES trophies in the box, R.O.B., some controllers, and a ton of Nintendo Power magazines. So I guess that would add some value too.

So far everything works. I haven't checked Zelda or any other battery related games lately, but the last time I played, it worked.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:24 am

Yeah both copies of Zelda that I have still save.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:38 am

slappybrown wrote:Amazing

it really is a pretty GUI and well done. im jelly.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:48 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Yeah both copies of Zelda that I have still save.

I remember when those came out, the word was that battery would only last 10 years. It's been 25 and it still works. Eventually it won't, but so far so good.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:49 am

explain this battery thing to me. I am not familiar...what was the purpose?
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:59 am

JeffDFD wrote:explain this battery thing to me. I am not familiar...what was the purpose?

Remember how many NES games had passwords that you got after each level? Instead of being able to save your progress on a restart you had to enter that password?

Well, starting with the gold zelda cartridges you could save you progress to the cartridge. It works very similar to how a motherboard in a PC saves the date and time info after you power off/unplug it.

These are basically watch batteries with finite lives. Larger cartridges *should* be working fine but it is very common for older Game Boy ones to be dead now.

That cartridge save ability was one of the main things Nintendo touted when N64 came out - you didn't need an expensive accessory to save.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:07 am

canaan wrote:
slappybrown wrote:Amazing

it really is a pretty GUI and well done. im jelly.

It seriously took forever to set up but thank you. I think I like setting the stuff up more than actually playing the games.

Each system has to have a folder, and each game within there has to be in its own file folder with a name that perfectly matches an online database. That's how the library software automatically downloads the box covers, synopsis, wallpapers, etc. I suggested to the developer that he look into adding a tab that will pull codes/cheats from an online repository too.

From there you have to set up the emulator to launch in full screen when a game is selected. It minimizes the gui and launches the game. I mapped the ZL and ZR controls on Wii Classic Controller to keyboard keys ALT and F4 respectively. That way I can tap the two of them together to exit the game and immediately go back into the gui.

My next step is to get my PC games onto there. Its really easy to do if you use Steam, but I just have a handful of disc based games.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:10 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:explain this battery thing to me. I am not familiar...what was the purpose?

Remember how many NES games had passwords that you got after each level? Instead of being able to save your progress on a restart you had to enter that password?

Well, starting with the gold zelda cartridges you could save you progress to the cartridge. It works very similar to how a motherboard in a PC saves the date and time info after you power off/unplug it.

These are basically watch batteries with finite lives. Larger cartridges *should* be working fine but it is very common for older Game Boy ones to be dead now.

That cartridge save ability was one of the main things Nintendo touted when N64 came out - you didn't need an expensive accessory to save.

Pretty much this. However, if your battery does die, they have replacement kits to put in a new battery.

I should buy a couple while they still make them. If those batteries are just as good, it could last another 20 years or so. By then, I'll probably be dead.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:28 am

newarenanow wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:

Pretty much this. However, if your battery does die, they have replacement kits to put in a new battery.

I should buy a couple while they still make them. If those batteries are just as good, it could last another 20 years or so. By then, I'll probably be dead.

But your legacy can move on and others can then save Hyrule!
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:35 am

JeffDFD wrote:But your legacy can move on and others can then save Hyrule!

My wife said she is throwing all of my junk away when I die.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:38 am

newarenanow wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:But your legacy can move on and others can then save Hyrule!

My wife said she is throwing all of my junk away when I die.

Keep us abreast of the situation. If there is any chance of you meeting your untimely doom in the bottom of a quarry, we need to be ready to scoop up the goods before Joe Garbageman gets his smelly paws on them.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:37 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Tons of gamers, except the ones that buy any of the top selling game franchises. Very few people will consider this a deal breaker or even an influence on their decision.

This isn't true at all. I frequent plenty of gamer forums and the majority of people are incredibly angry about this and most of them say they will not buy the new Xbox if it requires an internet connection.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to NHR