Pascal Dupuis Appreciation Society

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pascal Dupuis Appreciation Society

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:05 pm

TheTyrantVirus wrote:Sign me up!

I don't use twitter very often, almost never actually, but I am following the PDAS since this morning.

Been a fan of Dupuis since we got him, even have a baby blue Duper jersey. (Does that make me a bandwagon Duper fan AND a bandwagon Pens fan? :pop: )

Not only do you get a bandwagon exemption from hopping on as a new member of the PDAS, you get our affinity credit card with a low, low APR, 0% for balance transfers, cash back on purchases, and no annual fee.

Welcome!
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby RxBandit66 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:31 am

Bioshock wrote:
FallenHero96 wrote:Dupuis has been playing great and yeah I would think he would be asking for quite a raise. He's 34 though. Do we pay it and lose someone else or let him walk? Shero has some tough decisions to make at the end of this year.

That's the thing, we don't pay it. They literally can't pay it. Dupuis is a luxury now. He is an absurd luxury at 1.5 million. And you don't pay someone like him when you need to pay guys like Letang, Malkin and Kuntiz. And to even a lesser extent, Iginla.

Well, I don't look for Cooke or TK to be back. NIskanen and or Martin may be traded with all the young D coming up. Geno and Kunitz won't get too big of a raise because they are already well paid. If they doubled Duper's current salary and paid him 3 million, they probably could fit him in.

Having said that, Beau Bennett is and will be ready for top 6 duty next season. So if Neal and Kunitz are both back, it'll come down to Duper or Iginla who stay. And I think which ever player takes the discount will likely be the one who stays. There's no way Duper re-signs and plays on the third line, and putting BB there would be a waste of his skill level IMO.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:54 am

Yes, Harrington can easily replace Martin next year.

pop
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby joe icepick on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:16 am

Pay the man! I'm going to be pissed If they go cheap with him. I'll be watching Ray. Don't screw this up. For crying out loud they should have signed him already. Plus the dudes a warrior...never hurt, plays every game at 100%
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DocEmrick on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:38 am

I doubt Dupuis is gonna leave, they'll probably find a way to make it work.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:52 am

DocEmrick wrote:I doubt Dupuis is gonna leave, they'll probably find a way to make it work.

YOU WILL TAKE $2,000,000 PER YEAR...AND BE HAPPY WITH IT.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby smoothmoneyb on Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:03 am

I would love to see them try and resign Dupuis but it's looking less and less likely. He might take a small discount to stay with the Pens, but I think at a minimum, it's going to take somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 years at 3 mil to keep him here, which is probably going to be difficult to pull off.
smoothmoneyb
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby no name on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:01 pm

Its nice to hear Duper say he wants to retire a Penguin but if Max got offered 1.8, i can only imagine someone would offer Duper 3m. I don't know if we can do that.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:16 pm

This is not the contract you're looking for.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:31 pm

I think there's a decent chance Dupuis goes. I'm certain he wants to stay but the guy is playing at a 40 goal pace this season and has remained effective even without Crosby. This is likely his one chance to make good money and maybe his last nice contract. I think someone will give him something the Pens aren't willing to match. I think if they're met with the choice of paying Iginla ~$5 million and Dupuis over $3 million they'd have to go with Iginla.

There are too many guys they're going to want to sign and Dupuis probably has the least incentive to take under market value to stay. Who stays is probably going to depend on who is willing to give up a little to make things fit for the most amount of guys. And nobody should hold that against Dupuis. He's already won a Cup, maybe he'll win another this year. He should go for financial security at his age coming off a performance he'll probably never repeat.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pcm on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:32 pm

Dupuis is tied for the league lead in even strength goals. Sick. He's been doing it without Crosby too.

I'd pay him $3 m to play on the 3rd line.But keeping this team together next year is pretty much impossible. Guys like Jeffrey, Vitale, Despres, Bortuzzo, will need to take permanent roles.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:36 pm

#FreeDupuis or #PD9PEN4LIFE ???

Right now, I wish to be focused on the here & now. Pascal is the left ventricle for this club, he's leading by example.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:42 pm

I'd pay him $3 m to play on the 3rd line.But keeping this team together next year is pretty much impossible

It really is. All you can hope is that they can keep enough guys to still have a Stanley Cup caliber team going into next season.

For now, we enjoy the team they have because they're likely not going to have such a deep team again anytime soon. That's why there's really no acceptable outcome but to win the Cup.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DocEmrick on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:55 pm

I agree HH, the big thing is he's remained consistent even without Sid, and while that doesn't really baffle me, it's still surprising to see him popping in great goals and making smart hockey plays. He was a borderline 20g scorer prior to going to Atlanta where he sort of hit the rocks, but Sid either rejuvenated him, or he's just improved by playing with Sid.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:16 pm

Honestly, the dream team thing has me a little nervous. My gut predicts the Pens aren't going all the way this year. Obviously, I hope I'm wrong about this year, but I kinda think they'll re-sign Iginla and then win the cup next year with a lesser, but over-achieving team. For Iginla, it'll kinda be like Ray Bourque going to Colorado.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby motoallica426 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:03 pm

I'm in...Thanks Daaaaaaaaannnnn!!!! (in regards to the intermission interviews with Potash), how can you not love this guy. Funny, Fast, and puts forth 100% all the time. LETS GO PENS!!!
motoallica426

Postby offsides on Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:19 pm

Real nice pregame feature on how hard Duper works\worked to become an NHLer, since he wasn't drafted. Amazing how strong he is and how he works out all year. Would be hard to replace him, very hard. He's definitely easy to appreciate.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby slipshod on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:17 pm

As it stands right now, if it's between signing Dupes or Iginla, I sign Dupes. More versatile, more productive, faster, the list goes on. If Iggy goes off in the playoffs then maybe that changes for me but until that happens... I'M ALL ABOUT DUPUIS ALL THE TIME!
slipshod
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Shakes on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:47 pm

slipshod wrote:As it stands right now, if it's between signing Dupes or Iginla, I sign Dupes. More versatile, more productive, faster, the list goes on. If Iggy goes off in the playoffs then maybe that changes for me but until that happens... I'M ALL ABOUT DUPUIS ALL THE TIME!

I think Duper could get ~$3M or $3.5M for 2 or 3 years somewhere, and he deserves it.

If the Pens are faced with that or Iggy for ~$4.5M for 1 or 2 years (assuming he wants to stay and takes a serious pay cut), they have to go with Iginla. Unless he is absolutely useless in the playoffs (which he won't be).

I thinki we're seeing the last of Dupuis in a Pens' uni, and I'm enjoying it while it lasts.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:09 pm

Dupuis + Morrow > Iginla

Everyone thinks Morrow is this old guy with nothing left... but he's a few months older than Kunitz, and he's showing he can bring it. He adds a net presence to this team that they haven't had since Ryan Malone, plus the Gary Roberts effect.

Hopefully Iggy turns it on once he actually gets a chance to play with Crosby. Shero can't sign them all, but who stays and who goes will be totally based on how each performs this postseason.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby taz71 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:02 am

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/ ... goaltender

Pascal Dupuis number 7th ranked player by GVT
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby scals37 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:46 am

we share a first name :pop:

I was always beyond impressed by his ability to gel with Sid and any other role given to him.. I feel like people would have earlier realized how versatile he was had he not made such a staple for himself on Sid's line

I've been a big Dupers supporter for years, never was keen on all the constant ideas of throwing him on the third line, especially this year (??) when he's playing lights out and scoring BIG time goals
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:18 am

Dupuis, 2.3M per year, 4.6M total.

Just don't bring back Tyler Kennedy and Matt Cooke and it shouldn't be a problem at all.

I have to come in here and give Dupuis credit. If you do let me stay in the Society, this is okay, just need to pay my respects. There was a time when I said he was not good enough to wear number 9. That we should have gave him some dumb number like 45. He's really became a great player.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby HockeyDaddy on Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:31 am

The penalty kill would take a huge personnel hit if both Dupuis and Cooke walk in the off-season. Dupuis strikes me as the kind of guy who would be happy with a modest raise to play in an environment in which he is comfortable, but what do I know?! Talbot was a swinger, Malone was single and ready to mingle, Dupuis is a guy with a young family that may not want to uproot his wife and children to make an extra million or two on top of the millions he already has.

Just my wishful thinking.

By the way, I think that Dupuis is the team MVP this year. Sidney Crosby has been the unquestionable best player in the league, but Dupers play with and without Sid is a big reason why the Pens sit atop the Eastern Conference.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:00 am

Dupuis may take less to stay here, but I doubt he is re-signing for anything less than 3 to 3.5 mil/year. If Ville Leino can get 4.5 million on the open market a couple of years ago, then Dupuis is probably close to that figure today even with the smaller salary cap.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins