Game 42 vs. Panthers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 42 vs. Panthers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:35 am

Pens win 3-1

- Pens played a Pens style game without Sid & Geno... But let's not forget it was vs. the lowly Panthers
- MAF made some key saves when he needed to, looked Sharp
- Morrow is "officially" paying dividends. Morrow crow soup is the special of the day today, who's fessing up and eating?
- Beau had a good game in getting 2 assists in less than 12 minutes
- Joe Vitale had a good game in his return, glad to see him get an assist
- Didn't think much of the late hit on Cooke. Gudbranson quickly becoming Pens enemy #1
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Game 42 vs. Panthers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby DocEmrick on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:36 am

Is this the year?
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:39 am

-Pens beat 3 teams that they should have beat. Always good to see, there are no 'gimme' games in the NHL (although this road trip might be as close as you can get!)
-Didn't notice much Iginla, but I was at a BWW and not totally 100 % focused on the Pens TV between the other games on and my company
-hating work this morning
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:51 am

- Dmitry Kulikov will be having nightmares about being hit by the Pens for the next week.

- MAF, not challenged much in the game, but made the big saves when called upon.

- Morrow shows the grit he will bring come playoff time. May not score a goal farther than 5 feet away, but will create havoc for whoever is playing goal.

- PK came up big, especially late in the 3rd period when it was needed.

- Agree on Gudbranson, eventually somebody will take him out.

- It would have been easy for the Pens to sleepwalk through the games on this road trip. None of these teams are very good, and the Pens have little to play for
during the remaining games of the season. The way they have played, without their best players in the lineup, is a very good sign heading into the playoffs.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:10 am

Assuming Malkin's injury/sunburn/whatever does not keep him out of the lineup further or affect his play going forward, I think him missing that game may have been the best thing that happened to the Pens. It forced them to take the game more seriously than they might have otherwise and allowed some people to get ice time that might not have otherwise.

I am pretty shocked that Jokinen and Morrow have contributed so much more offensively than Iginla. I'd like to see Iggy get going a bit. I know he hasn't really had a chance to settle in with line mates and he had some pretty sweet chances in a couple games that the goalie just made saves on... but there have been times when I forgot he was even playing which is not a good thing.

3 day break followed by 2 huge games... would be sweet to sweep MTL and BOS and doing so would all but lock up the top seed.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shakes on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:17 am

Agree with most of the above.

MAF was sneaky good last night. He saved Tanger serious shame on that last breakaway.

I love that Dupuis slipped in at center, won 3 out of 5 draws, and his line was the best last night. PDAS.

I'm not worried at all about Iginla.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby brwi on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:22 am

First off, I want to give a big thumbs up to you, penspal, for doing these posts after every game. I look forward to them even though I watched the game the night before but I appreciate your perspective and putting it up here. Sure beats the hell out of "what will the lines be....." I used to do something similar back in the "Igloo report" days but found that my comments were being used by Gary in his "official" Igloo Report. Now, I just don't want to bother with it :D

I thought the Gudbranson nudge on Cooke was overplayed by Errey. I understand he's got a bad rep for his hits, but I didn't see him do anything differently than the Kunitz bump last week that caused all kinds of disgust from Pens' fans for Kunitz getting tossed. Gudbranson is a little dirty, but that wasn't anything to howl about and I sure didn't see evil intentions there.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:25 am

I know most of you don't deal with this because you are always tuned in to Root Sports, but whenever MLB Extra Innings starts it conflicts with NHL Center Ice in that they both use the same channels on my cable system. No home or away feeds to choose from. It's (almost always) the home feed. I hate listening to the "other team's" announcers. And last night in the 2nd period the feed went out for about 7 to 8 minutes of gametime. Frustrating on two levels.

BEPF

Editing here: Anyone know if Crosby was in the building last night? Nothing was mentioned on the Panthers feed.
Last edited by Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:26 am

The Root feed was out too, so that wouldn't have helped you much, BEPF.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:26 am

The Panthers announcers were semi-blaming Cooke, for having turned before that hit. If he had kept his straight line towards the boards and gotten really crushed, they probably would have blamed him for not being aware.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby PghSkins on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:26 am

Fire0nice228 wrote:-Pens beat 3 teams that they should have beat.

True, but since the Florida teams have been in the league that's been true more often than not- but it seems like they rarely come out of the Sunshine State with 4 points on those trips.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Inkio on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:30 am

Didnt see the game because of work. But I hope these games prove to HCDB that Bennett needs to be in the lineup from here forward. Bench Glass or Kennedy. I'd say Kennedy because of what Glass brings to the PK.
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:30 am

brwi wrote:First off, I want to give a big thumbs up to you, penspal, for doing these posts after every game. I look forward to them even though I watched the game the night before but I appreciate your perspective and putting it up here. Sure beats the hell out of "what will the lines be....." I used to do something similar back in the "Igloo report" days but found that my comments were being used by Gary in his "official" Igloo Report. Now, I just don't want to bother with it :D

I thought the Gudbranson nudge on Cooke was overplayed by Errey. I understand he's got a bad rep for his hits, but I didn't see him do anything differently than the Kunitz bump last week that caused all kinds of disgust from Pens' fans for Kunitz getting tossed. Gudbranson is a little dirty, but that wasn't anything to howl about and I sure didn't see evil intentions there.

I second the motion about these threads. It is the first thread I look for on the morning after a game, sometimes even before it goes up. :roll: Thanks penspal.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shakes on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:42 am

brwi wrote:First off, I want to give a big thumbs up to you, penspal, for doing these posts after every game. I look forward to them even though I watched the game the night before but I appreciate your perspective and putting it up here. Sure beats the hell out of "what will the lines be....." I used to do something similar back in the "Igloo report" days but found that my comments were being used by Gary in his "official" Igloo Report. Now, I just don't want to bother with it :D

Ditto. I enjoy these threads. :thumb:

Spoiler:
Until they inevitably turn into "what should the lines be?!?"
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:42 am

Panther's announcers did mention the fact that there were lots of Pens fans in attendance, and they said that it was the same no matter where they played. They WERE LOUD, that's for sure. :thumb:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Geezer on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:44 am

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:

I second the motion about these threads. It is the first thread I look for on the morning after a game, sometimes even before it goes up. :roll: Thanks penspal.

BEPF

Thirded. I had forgotten all about the Igloo Report. It became a very strange site.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:46 am

the wicked child wrote:The Root feed was out too, so that wouldn't have helped you much, BEPF.

Must have been an arena problem then. Thanks for the info wc.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby joopen on Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:11 am

NPR Warning:

Did anyone see Nate Thompson's visor explode? Took a slapshot in the face and the visor shattered. He only had a couple cuts and came back in. He may be dead without a visor. Not hyperbole
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby brwi on Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:34 am

joopen wrote:NPR Warning:

Did anyone see Nate Thompson's visor explode? Took a slapshot in the face and the visor shattered. He only had a couple cuts and came back in. He may be dead without a visor. Not hyperbole

That was scary. I think visors and even helmets should be optional, but I always re-think it after seeing something like that.

It would really hurt the sport if someone died on the ice from a slapshot and didn't have a helmet on, which is why I understand the compulsory helmet rule. I am coming around on the mandatory visor thing at this point.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bh on Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:38 am

:shock: Wow, scary stuff. That was some crazy elevation on that puck.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bh on Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:40 am

I think that it's silly to not wear one. Your eyes are basically that most important part of your body.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Inkio on Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:48 am

brwi wrote:

That was scary. I think visors and even helmets should be optional, but I always re-think it after seeing something like that.

It would really hurt the sport if someone died on the ice from a slapshot and didn't have a helmet on, which is why I understand the compulsory helmet rule. I am coming around on the mandatory visor thing at this point.

Why do you think helmets should be optional? That makes no sense.
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby relantel on Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:53 am

the wicked child wrote:3 day break followed by 2 huge games... would be sweet to sweep MTL and BOS and doing so would all but lock up the top seed.

A sweep in regulation each would clinch over Boston and leave the MN over Montreal at 1.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:02 am

Shakes wrote:Agree with most of the above.

MAF was sneaky good last night. He saved Tanger serious shame on that last breakaway.

I love that Dupuis slipped in at center, won 3 out of 5 draws, and his line was the best last night. PDAS.

I'm not worried at all about Iginla.

I had to laugh after that one. MAF only gets a piece of it, looks behind him, sees that it went wide, then looks to the ceiling and, I'm sure, says "Merci".

But, hey, whether you only get a piece of the puck or all of it... if it stays out, it stays out.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:06 am

-Chipping ham makes it taste fresher, hamier, and more delicious

-Root sports can't be trusted to broadcast games

-Bob Errey didn't mention rub stick.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next