Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby ajh2298 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:32 am

I went with the Repeater/Machine Gun and than mostly the shot gun at the end paired up with shock jockey.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:34 am

Seems like shock jockey is the most effective vigor so far. The machine persuasion sucks
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ajh2298 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:13 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:The machine persuasion sucks

I used it a little more towards the end after I upgraded it all the way. It didnt help too much but when you get overwhelmed with enemies it would give me a second or two to catch my breath and find cover.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:46 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:Only guns I use in Bioshock Infinite are Carbine and Sniper Rifle.

Carbine and shot gun for me although I do like the sniper whenever I see it. Just finished battle with slate, liked it.

Yea the shotgun is up there for me too. I like to use it to clear crowds. The shotgun, carbine and sniper rifles are the one guns I spent any money on powering up.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:48 am

For vigors, I use Devil's Kiss, got it upgraded fully. As for the gear, one of the items I have, sets people on fire when they strike me. It's very helpful.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:44 pm

Easton wrote:I finally engineered a Kerbin spacecraft with enough fuel to reach and land on the Mun. Everything was going perfect. I was just about to land. And then I panicked. I smashed the wrong button, went sideways, threw the engines to max on accident and slammed into the terrain. R.I.P. Bill Kerman Jr. Bill Kerman Sr. is currently orbiting around the Mun... indefinitely.

Been there. Repeatedly. My landing technique is that once I basically have my velocity more or less straight down, I lock my position using A.S.S. and then use the RCS thrusters to take care of any horizontal movement. Once I figure out which direction the RSS thusters are pushing in, I then rotate the camera so that those directions correspond to up-down-left-right.

In order to make the game more challenging, I wouldn't install it until after a successful Mün mission, but the plugin Mechjeb (http://kerbalspaceport.com/mechjeb/) is fantastically useful. It acts as an autopilot and can do many orbital maneuvers on its own, for example, raising or lowering apsis points, circularizing orbits, Mün-transfer burns, and more. It has a launch autopilot where you just feed in your desired apoapsis and it will launch you to that orbit, including time warping and then performing the circularization burn. It even stages for you so you don't have to press the space bar manually. It also has a more advanced A.S.S. feature (called Smart A.S.S.) where you can click a button and the ship will automatically orient to prograde, retrograde, normal, antinormal, etc. and keep that orientation even if it changes. It does take some of the challenge out of the game, so that's why I didn't try it out until I'd already done a Mün mission manually.

Next up for me is a Minmus landing. In order to get there and back, I'm launching two ships: a lander ship and a separate fuel tanker. Orbital docking is a real PITA. I'm still working on performing a successful docking.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shyster on Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:09 pm

... And I just crashed my lander into my tanker and blew up in orbit. :face:

The more I play this game, the more respect I have for people who work in the space industry.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:44 pm

Oregon Trail director's cut. This looks awesome

http://store.steampowered.com/app/233740/
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:11 am

Finally played a little more Metroid Other M the other night. Got to Sector 3. I'm, probably about 25% through the game. Still decent.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:18 am

I cranked up Nestopia and played Mega Man for the first time. Tough game, even with a gamepad. I'll have to keep at it.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:21 am

I played a bunch of Bioshock Infinite, probably a solid 4-5 hours in now.

Man, what a game...I simply can't get over the visuals, story, and just all-around creepy/fascinating nature of the city of Columbia and the whole cult of personality thing.

Spoiler:
The scene where you are rescuing Elizabeth and she opens up a sudden tear into 1980s France was just frigging amazing.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:44 pm

Very near to the end of Infinite now.

Spoiler:
Wow.

No, seriously.

Spoiler:
Wow.

I've just killed Comstock, and now the Songbird is helping me kill stuff. Sweet. Only I've just learned that apparently I (Booker) know what happened to Elizabeth's little finger. I have my suspicions as to why Booker has this knowledge, but I'm not sure how my theory figures in the larger story.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:17 pm

Managed to successfully dock two smaller test ships I sent up to orbit. I can fairly regularly get the vessels to an intersect point, kill relative velocities, and close to within a dozen meters or so. The hard part to me is closing those last few meters and getting the docking ports to connect. KSP could really use something like a "docking camera" mode where the display would show you what directions you need to thrust in to line up the ships.

I was planning on having my Minmus lander hook up with the tanker in orbit of Kerbin, fly as a single ship to Minmus, detach to land and re-orbit, connect again tp the tanker to transfer fuel, and then fly back alone. That would involve two dockings, one in Kerbin orbit and the other in Minmus orbit. I think I'll have the tanker fly separately to Minmus and loiter in orbit there so I only have to dock once.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby farnham16 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:37 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:Seems like shock jockey is the most effective vigor so far. The machine persuasion sucks

Shock Jockey is good. Especially with the upgrades added to it. But if you are playing on hard or 1999 mode, you need Possession. Fully upgraded Possession is a must honestly.

A hidden gem Vigor combo is Bucking Bronco and Undertow. If you are near a ledge, you can use Bucking Bronco on a bunch of dudes then send them flying off Columbia by using Undertow.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby farnham16 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:39 pm

JeffDFD wrote:Bioshock infinite - does the story play a lot off of 1 and 2 - as in...continue the story? Or is it just the same kind of idea, but new story?

I still want to finish 2 before I play, but am just curious

You don't need to have played 1 or 2 to understand Infinite. The story is mostly unrelated. But not fully.......
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby farnham16 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:41 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:What's the word on bioshock infinite

Its amazing. Beat it three times already.

BioShock is one of my favorite series and this one truly is worthy of it.

Having a hard time deciding which one I like more. Infinite or the original.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Easton on Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:44 am

Shyster wrote:Been there. Repeatedly. My landing technique is that once I basically have my velocity more or less straight down, I lock my position using A.S.S. and then use the RCS thrusters to take care of any horizontal movement. Once I figure out which direction the RSS thusters are pushing in, I then rotate the camera so that those directions correspond to up-down-left-right.

In order to make the game more challenging, I wouldn't install it until after a successful Mün mission, but the plugin Mechjeb (http://kerbalspaceport.com/mechjeb/) is fantastically useful. It acts as an autopilot and can do many orbital maneuvers on its own, for example, raising or lowering apsis points, circularizing orbits, Mün-transfer burns, and more. It has a launch autopilot where you just feed in your desired apoapsis and it will launch you to that orbit, including time warping and then performing the circularization burn. It even stages for you so you don't have to press the space bar manually. It also has a more advanced A.S.S. feature (called Smart A.S.S.) where you can click a button and the ship will automatically orient to prograde, retrograde, normal, antinormal, etc. and keep that orientation even if it changes. It does take some of the challenge out of the game, so that's why I didn't try it out until I'd already done a Mün mission manually.

Next up for me is a Minmus landing. In order to get there and back, I'm launching two ships: a lander ship and a separate fuel tanker. Orbital docking is a real PITA. I'm still working on performing a successful docking.

I was initially thrown off by the altitude, which didn't correspond with how close I was to the surface. Then I remembered I wasn't on Kerbin anymore, so that was probably the reason. I thought I had more time than I did, so I made too many corrections too quickly.

Do you have any other mods installed? I'm interested in a few part packs, but the common consensus seems to be similar what you said with Mechjeb -- wait until you can land on either the Mun or Minmus reliably. Although that isn't a big deal, since I'm focused on doing that with my current setup.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Shyster on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:26 pm

Easton wrote:I was initially thrown off by the altitude, which didn't correspond with how close I was to the surface. Then I remembered I wasn't on Kerbin anymore, so that was probably the reason. I thought I had more time than I did, so I made too many corrections too quickly.

Do you have any other mods installed? I'm interested in a few part packs, but the common consensus seems to be similar what you said with Mechjeb -- wait until you can land on either the Mun or Minmus reliably. Although that isn't a big deal, since I'm focused on doing that with my current setup.

My understanding is that the altitude the display shows for a moon or other planet is the altitude over the moon’s theoretical “sea level,” just like it is for Kerbin. I think it must be measuring altitude from the bottom of the Müns’ big craters. The land that’s actually under you can be thousands of meters higher than that level. I was usually landing somewhere around 1,500 meters or so. I’d just make sure I’m slowed down to less than 50 m/s by the time I’m around 2,000 meters, and then take it slow until you can see exactly where the ground is. I think the various landing struts in the game are rated for touchdowns of around 7 m/s and less. Any faster and they might snap off.

Once you install it, the “orbital information” window in Mechjeb will give you both the regular altitude and the altitude over terrain. Other than Mechjeb, I’m still running a stock game. And to be honest, I don’t feel like Mechjeb is cheating too much. Even in the Apollo days—where the ships had less computing power than a modern pocket calculator, let alone a cell phone—computers were used for things like launch trajectories and the like. Neil Armstrong and the other Apollo astronauts certainly weren’t manually steering their Saturn Vs into orbit.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:38 pm

What's the game length on Bioshock Infinity?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:41 pm

I'm trying Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood. So far, it's not bad.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:46 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I'm trying Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood. So far, it's not bad.

My favorite fps-western.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:48 pm

I'm playing with the guy with the gun and dynamite, not the rifle/bow brother. I love how he says... son-of-a... lol
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:54 pm

lol I remember Thomas is the Bow and Rifle. The other brother I think is Frank, and I have no idea the name of the bible Bro.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:55 pm

For those who have beat Bioshock Infinite, a little help. I'm at the final boss battle and I'm having a real hard time killing all the baddies. Any strategery advice would be appreciated.

Sarcastic wrote:What's the game length on Bioshock Infinity?

Probably something like 8-9 hours of through-play. (Which translates - for me - into something more like 13-14 hours.)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:57 pm

That horse drives like crap though. I mean a hundred times better than the stupid one in Shadow of the Colossus, but still not good enough. I have yet to play Red Dead Redemption and DLC, and I hope I'll finally be happy with that one.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR