Game 42 vs. Panthers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 42 vs. Panthers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Shakes on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:10 am

tfrizz wrote:
Shakes wrote:MAF was sneaky good last night. He saved Tanger serious shame on that last breakaway.

I had to laugh after that one. MAF only gets a piece of it, looks behind him, sees that it went wide, then looks to the ceiling and, I'm sure, says "Merci".

But, hey, whether you only get a piece of the puck or all of it... if it stays out, it stays out.

Yeah, not claiming it was anything special, but it was a timely save. Tanger had a few unforced turnovers, and this was the worst of them.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:16 am

Shakes wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
Shakes wrote:MAF was sneaky good last night. He saved Tanger serious shame on that last breakaway.

I had to laugh after that one. MAF only gets a piece of it, looks behind him, sees that it went wide, then looks to the ceiling and, I'm sure, says "Merci".

But, hey, whether you only get a piece of the puck or all of it... if it stays out, it stays out.

Yeah, not claiming it was anything special, but it was a timely save. Tanger had a few unforced turnovers, and this was the worst of them.

Oh, I agree completely. My first thought was "how do you give up a shorthanded breakaway with about 1:00 left in the 3rd and nursing a 2-1 lead?" Poor decision making was the only answer I could come up with.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby largegarlic on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:25 am

I happened to be in Miami this weekend for other reasons and ended up going to the game with a friend who scored tickets five rows up from the glass at the end where the Pens shot twice. I've only seen a game from that low once or twice before, and I have to say, I'm not sure I like it. Seeing the play in front of you up close was great, but I really had no idea what was going on in the other end because of the distortion of the glass. I would say the crowd was split about 50/50 between Pens and Panthers fans. Anyhow, here are my thoughts:

1.) It's pretty clear that Iginla is a complementary winger at this point. Similar to Neal, he has a good shot, makes smart passes, and doesn't shy away from physical play, but can't carry a line on his own. He needs to be with Crosby or Malkin to be effective.

2.) The 4th line looked good in the offensive zone from my vantage point. Lots of hits and general pressuring of the Panthers, making it tough on them in their own zone. Vitale really seems to perk that line up.

3.) I was skeptical about keeping Bennett up for the playoffs just because of the numbers issue, and I wasn't sure if he could deal with the speed and physicality of the playoffs. Not that last night really apporximated playoff pace, but it's going to be pretty hard to keep him out of the lineup. His work to set up Morrow's goal was top-notch.

4.) Morrow might not have the hands or the wheels of his prime, but he really is just what the Pens needed. He's definitely finding his role with the team. Loved his feistiness and willingness to crash the net.

5.) It was cool seeing Fleury make saves from that close in the 2nd period. I remember a sequence where he made a couple really quick pad saves in succession, and the quickness of his reflexes really stood out (especially in contrast to Markstrom).
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:36 am

So Geno really wasn't 100% at any point in the last few weeks?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:41 am

Gaucho wrote:So Geno really wasn't 100% at any point in the last few weeks?

Seems like it. Don't think he would have collapsed on the ice after that hit the other night if he felt ok.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:46 am

Many of us said we believed he was still hurt. Sadly (maybe thankfully since it could be an explanation), it appears we were right.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:29 pm

Joking aside Gene, get better all over! Maybe he thought the sun heat would be good for his shoulder.
Congrats to the penguins for the southern sweep! Doesn't happen often for the pens.
It's great to see the pens wearing blinders and focusing on the opponent of the night. It doesn't matter who is in the line -up.
Just win Flower~ leading the NHL with 21!
Steady on towards the next season; good habits, good practices .

Good to have you back home. Although, they could be staying for more sun.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shakes on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:33 pm

largegarlic wrote:I happened to be in Miami this weekend for other reasons and ended up going to the game with a friend who scored tickets five rows up from the glass at the end where the Pens shot twice. I've only seen a game from that low once or twice before, and I have to say, I'm not sure I like it. Seeing the play in front of you up close was great, but I really had no idea what was going on in the other end because of the distortion of the glass. I would say the crowd was split about 50/50 between Pens and Panthers fans. Anyhow, here are my thoughts:

Yeah, we got similar seats through Student Rush a few years back. Didn't like it at all.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:37 pm

brwi wrote:First off, I want to give a big thumbs up to you, penspal, for doing these posts after every game. I look forward to them even though I watched the game the night before but I appreciate your perspective and putting it up here. Sure beats the hell out of "what will the lines be....."

I also give :thumb: :thumb: to penspal!

brwi wrote:I used to do something similar back in the "Igloo report" days but found that my comments were being used by Gary in his "official" Igloo Report. Now, I just don't want to bother with it :D

LOL. I wonder what Gary is doing these days.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Tico Rick on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:47 pm

I wonder if this was the "team bonding" activity that got Geno sunburned:

Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:21 pm

-So Morrow does what we were expecting him to do when he came in (leadership, net front presence, hitting, grit, etc). But now he is scoring goals and out racing people to the puck too? Incredible. Hope he can keep this up through the playoffs.

-Chris Kunitz has become a complete player. His passing and puck skills have improved, IMHO.

-We already knew this, but the new guys have been incredible additions. Just think about a team without them last night:
Kunitz - Jeffrey - Dupuis
Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy
? - Vitale - Bennett
Glass - Adams - ?
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mbowman14 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:56 pm

Not seen it discussed yet but I am interested in the shorthanded toi Jussi is getting. HCDB seems to like 5 pk'ing forwards in the lineup. Figure 9, 16, 24, and 27 are sure things in the playoffs. It seems Jussi may take Glass' spot on the pk which would open up the 4th line winger role for 19.
mbowman14

Postby penny lane on Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:58 pm

separated at birth; right ?
8-) :P
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:06 pm

penny lane wrote:Image

separated at birth; right ?
8-) :P

I don't see it.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IMFC on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:43 pm

Reality check, please:

What exactly is the difference between what Morrow did to Kopecky and Del Zotto to Neal?
IMFC
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:01 pm

IMFC wrote:Reality check, please:

What exactly is the difference between what Morrow did to Kopecky and Del Zotto to Neal?

Different ref.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:26 pm

Yep

Unfortunately....
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:59 am

Two day later thoughts, albeit minor ones. Bennett makes that pass to Morrow, TK shoots it if he is there. The former was a pro decision. Bennett and Morrow played well together, more than I thought they would. The one who didn't look good on that line was Dupuis. He looked manic, like he was trying to do too much. I don't think center is a good spot for him.

HCDB is really going to be scrutinized come playoff time if everyone is healthy. I think the word "if" is the reason he will be scrutinized. Playing some iffy guys over good depth guys will be a scary thought.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shakes on Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:19 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:Two day later thoughts, albeit minor ones. Bennett makes that pass to Morrow, TK shoots it if he is there. The former was a pro decision. Bennett and Morrow played well together, more than I thought they would. The one who didn't look good on that line was Dupuis. He looked manic, like he was trying to do too much. I don't think center is a good spot for him.

HCDB is really going to be scrutinized come playoff time if everyone is healthy. I think the word "if" is the reason he will be scrutinized. Playing some iffy guys over good depth guys will be a scary thought.

That's probably why he's a winger.

I thought he did pretty well, considering he got plugged in at C just before the game and hadn't played there since . . . ? He won 3 of 5 draws, and I thought his line sustained the most pressure in the attacking zone.

Maybe I've just got my PDAS glasses on, but I'm not taking them off. 8-)
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:21 am

Morrow used his forearm. Del Zotto used his elbow. Actually makes the whole situation more irritating.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:35 am

I'd say the difference is that there is no doubt that what Morrow did was intentional.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:57 am

Idoit40fans wrote:

I'd say the difference is that there is no doubt that what Morrow did was intentional.

Did Morrow even get him with an elbow? I only saw it live and I didn't think that he did.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:59 am

I was going to make a comment (somewhere) about how the three newly acquired veterans are the types of players that can get away with the occasional borderline penalty. Refs like these types of veteran, and often will give them a freebie, unlike a younger player without a reputation (Bennett and Despres have been penalized on things that Morrow and Iginla would get away with.)

Very useful in the playoffs when the whistles are put away anyway.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Penspal on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:10 am

Geezer wrote:
Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:
brwi wrote:First off, I want to give a big thumbs up to you, penspal, for doing these posts after every game. I look forward to them even though I watched the game the night before but I appreciate your perspective and putting it up here. Sure beats the hell out of "what will the lines be....." I used to do something similar back in the "Igloo report" days but found that my comments were being used by Gary in his "official" Igloo Report. Now, I just don't want to bother with it :D

I thought the Gudbranson nudge on Cooke was overplayed by Errey. I understand he's got a bad rep for his hits, but I didn't see him do anything differently than the Kunitz bump last week that caused all kinds of disgust from Pens' fans for Kunitz getting tossed. Gudbranson is a little dirty, but that wasn't anything to howl about and I sure didn't see evil intentions there.

I second the motion about these threads. It is the first thread I look for on the morning after a game, sometimes even before it goes up. :roll: Thanks penspal.

BEPF

Thirded. I had forgotten all about the Igloo Report. It became a very strange site.

Thanks guys (Tico Rick on other page as well). Nods to TFrizz & Pens_CT for starting on those 2 days where I simply could not get to a computer.

I have found that during and right after a Pens game I am often too "wound up" to be "rational" and the next day I find the balance. Lots of good posts in these TMA threads have made me a wiser Pens fan. Thanks for contributing!
Last edited by Penspal on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:18 am

Penspal wrote:I have found that during and right after a Pens game I am often too "wound up" to be "rational"

I can believe it :lol:
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins