Tax Season!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Tax Season!

Postby count2infinity on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:22 am

I can't wait for the day I'm making enough money that I get to complain about how much the government takes from me...
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:03 pm

In excess of six figures?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:43 pm

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:53 pm

Got over $4K back. Higher mortgage interest, real estate taxes, and an extra kid this year did that.

I have to readjust what I'm withholding. I like to break as close to even as possible.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:55 pm

yeah, I am looking forward to all of the homeowner deductions next year. This year, I am pretty sure we actually made less money than we did the year before because the extra taxes from the higher bracket more than offset the actual raises we got.

Being punished for advancing your station in life #murica
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:56 pm

About 3K from Uncle Barack, which will be used as extra principal-only payments on my car loan.
If I do the same next year, I should be able to pay that sucker off, two years ahead of schedule.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:58 pm

April is why I will vote GOP for life even though I don't agree with them at all on most things anymore.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:11 pm

columbia wrote:In excess of six figures?

crooked ceo's and the stock market rob us of amounts in excess of six figures, not the government
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:47 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:Happy confiscation day everyone. I paid more in federal taxes this year than I earned in 1998.

I understand that taxes are a necessary evil. But the way the Governement goes about this would make our founding fathers reach for their muskets.

Same here, except the year was Y2K.

I'm all for revising the tax code, but I see this as a good problem to have.

shafnutz05 wrote:I'll just stick this here:

That's what she said.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:42 pm

columbia wrote:In excess of six figures?

:face:

With all my love Columbia... FU, but I say that as someone who considers you a brother. :)

You have always had a unique ability to know how to punch someone's buttons. It's a skill I respect as much as a Gretz tape to tape pass, a Ovy sliding on his back goal, or a Pieterangelo save...

None the less, FU... And I say that with love :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:52 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:yeah, I am looking forward to all of the homeowner deductions next year. This year, I am pretty sure we actually made less money than we did the year before because the extra taxes from the higher bracket more than offset the actual raises we got.

Being punished for advancing your station in life #murica

From a purely income tax perspective, that is impossible unless your raises put your additional salary into the > 100% tax bracket.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JS© on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:15 am

shafnutz05 wrote:I'll just stick this here: Image

and since we're in the tax thread, don't forget this one:

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:19 am

7500 back, I think I need to readjust some things, but for the first time in a long time, we are debt free! (minus mortgage)
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JeffDFD on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:32 am

eddysnake wrote:7500 back, I think I need to readjust some things, but for the first time in a long time, we are debt free! (minus mortgage)

Ha...wow. Your paycheck can get a lot bigger! If you get paid bi-weekly, that's around $250 extra per pay. Most people have to get a nice promotion for that!

How did you get that big of a refund? One time things or just not claiming anything?

I
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddysnake on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:40 am

JeffDFD wrote:
eddysnake wrote:7500 back, I think I need to readjust some things, but for the first time in a long time, we are debt free! (minus mortgage)

Ha...wow. Your paycheck can get a lot bigger! If you get paid bi-weekly, that's around $250 extra per pay. Most people have to get a nice promotion for that!

How did you get that big of a refund? One time things or just not claiming anything?

I

I had to question myself that I did them correctly. I do know that having 3 kids helped out a lot. My wife also stopped working all together to stay at home with them. Between giving to charities, goodwill, and home improvements, etc - that helped a lot too. I was thinking the $250 extra per pay would be great, but when you factor these things in previously, I bet it's around $4000 that would factor in which is around $150 per pay and after taxes who knows what. I really should probably go talk to a professional and see what can be done, but that huge paycheck is pretty awesome in April.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JeffDFD on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:53 am

eddysnake wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:

I

I had to question myself that I did them correctly. I do know that having 3 kids helped out a lot. My wife also stopped working all together to stay at home with them. Between giving to charities, goodwill, and home improvements, etc - that helped a lot too. I was thinking the $250 extra per pay would be great, but when you factor these things in previously, I bet it's around $4000 that would factor in which is around $150 per pay and after taxes who knows what. I really should probably go talk to a professional and see what can be done, but that huge paycheck is pretty awesome in April.

The kids change a lot. The W-4 has changed since when I first started working at my job. May want to go through that worksheet portion again. Originally, it was just an extra dependent you can claim which would shelter a few thousand of your earnings netting you (based on tax bracket) around 900 dollars. Now, there is a new section on the W4 that has to do with the child credit or whatever it is called which (based on earnings) is another 1000. So a kid nowadays gets you around 1900...per kid (up to a certain # of kids though I think)

If it was home improvements and one time things that you will not be doing again, that is different. If you got X amount of dollars for a green credit or something else you did to your house, for example. But if you regularly give to those charities about the same amount each year, then look to change those withholding...I would love that pay raise! Some people like that lump sum at the end of the year though. You can always round against yourself to make sure you still get 1-2 thousand if that is what you want.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddysnake on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:58 am

JeffDFD wrote:
eddysnake wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:

I

The kids change a lot. The W-4 has changed since when I first started working at my job. May want to go through that worksheet portion again. Originally, it was just an extra dependent you can claim which would shelter a few thousand of your earnings netting you (based on tax bracket) around 900 dollars. Now, there is a new section on the W4 that has to do with the child credit or whatever it is called which (based on earnings) is another 1000. So a kid nowadays gets you around 1900...per kid (up to a certain # of kids though I think)

If it was home improvements and one time things that you will not be doing again, that is different. If you got X amount of dollars for a green credit or something else you did to your house, for example. But if you regularly give to those charities about the same amount each year, then look to change those withholding...I would love that pay raise! Some people like that lump sum at the end of the year though. You can always round against yourself to make sure you still get 1-2 thousand if that is what you want.

just did the W4 again and got 12, I have 4 now. Might have to change some things. THanks
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JeffDFD on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:06 pm

Don't get too crazy on that W4...if you got 7500 back and you had 1-time impacts that helped you get to that 7500...I definitely would not claim 12. You also have to take into account what all your wife does if she goes back to work or does anything on the side. Also have to consider taxable investments and any other income that does not get taxed immediately like dividends, etc. There is actually a calculator on teh IRS website that can help and also some good stand alone calculators that take some of these things into account.

12 just sounds crazy. You probably would definitely owe at year's end. I re-did the W4 and I got a higher number than I expected. I did one of those calculators and it suggested a few lower.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JS© on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:45 pm

Ended up with around $1500, which is probably the most I've had refunded in several years. Usually its around $400, but it sometimes dropped down to $100 or as high as $800.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:49 pm

itd be real nice if Barry would increase the student loan interest deduction from $2500 to something higher. I paid almost $7k in interest this year alone.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:28 pm

bump.

What are the advantages of married filing separately vs. jointly?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:42 pm

just file jointly.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:44 pm

I received a 1099 G this year for the first time. I've done my taxes through H&R Block for years, so can I assume that they have been accounting for this in the past?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:47 pm

Interesting, mac.... I saw this thread and popped in to ask a similar question.

Last month I got hit with a wage garnishment for school loans that, according to my records, were paid off seven or eight years ago. I've initiated the process to contest the garnishment (which has been SUPER FUN!), but in the meantime I'm pretty sure that if we file jointly with the garnishment in place, any refund balance we have will be confiscated. If we file separately will any refund on her individual return be subject to confiscation?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:53 pm

columbia wrote:I received a 1099 G this year for the first time. I've done my taxes through H&R Block for years, so can I assume that they have been accounting for this in the past?

is it for a state refund?

Also, do you itemize?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR