Dog Bug (not LITT related)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Dog Bug (not LITT related)

Postby Kraftster on Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:40 am

Man, my dog is doing awful right now. Puking and pooping all over the place -- can't even keep down water. I called the vet last night and they said they had dozens of appointments last night with the same description. Tried the old fast + chicken and rice and that didn't seem to settle his stomach, so we'll be going in to get him looked at as early as we can today.

Anyone else dealing with this right now, since it sounds like it must be something that is going around? Disastrous for carpet/furniture. Feel terrible for the pooch.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Dog Bug (not LITT related)

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:06 am

I'm not dealing with it now but when my dog had colitis he suffered from those same symptoms. The colitis was due to food allergies though. He also once had a intestinal blockage from swallowing part of his rope toy and had similar symptoms.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:22 am

Ugh sorry to hear that.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:41 am

Never heard of a dog bug before

However I hope your pup feels better
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:47 am

My dog puked last night but he has such a weak stomach, he probably pukes once a week. What kind of food do you feed him? It might be worth it to look into a food with no wheat/corn/soy products. I use Diamond Naturals from Tractor Supply, chicken and rice formula. It's not super expensive, like $32 for a 40lb bag.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:51 am

Yeah, my wife and I get "Taste of the Wild", and alternate between a bison/venison mix and a salmon food. Grain-free dog food is the way to go. Hope the vet appt goes ok
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:55 am

Had to do a Taste of the Wild Google image search. Do they sell t-shirts, too? :wink:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:02 am

Gaucho wrote:Had to do a Taste of the Wild Google image search. Do they sell t-shirts, too? :wink:

:lol:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:02 am

He eats Nutro Natural Choice Fish Meal. It's like $55/30lbs. He was getting pretty chronic ear infections for a while and the vet suggested a food trial before an allergy test ($$$). I was very skeptical, but, man, he has not had an ear infection in about a year since the switch. She said we should try a "novel protein" and suggested some super expensive food that we used for 6 months or so. Royal Canin Duck and Potato. It's like $90 for 25 lb bag. I grumbled about it to start, but it did the trick. We were able to switch over to the much more affordable Nutro, add in Zuke's treats and Greenies, and still we have no ear infections.

Anyway, going to the vet soon. We'll see what they have to say. He's been throwing up all morning. :(
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:50 am

poor guy. Let him outside to feast on some grass. That does the trick for my dogs sometimes as well.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:13 am

Blood work and x-rays. So long, tax refund. At least we ended up seeing the vet that we love and trust completely.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:34 am

Vets aren't cheap but when you find one you trust that's about the best you can hope for. My vet I trust completely with my animals as well, may not be the cheapest, but my piece of mind knowing my animals are in good hands makes it worth it when I Have to cough up a big bill.

Hope all turns out well with your dog Krafster.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:54 am

Well, the blood work and X-rays were good, which is good, but leaves this (in particular the vomiting) unexplained. Subcutaneous fluids and nausea cocktail and sent him home. If he continues to throw up after the drugs are in his system she will probably hospitalize him to give him IV fluids. Fingers crossed for a long, uneventful nap this afternoon.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:59 am

Also, no suggestion by the vet that there is any type of dog bug like this going around, so I don't know what the lady last night was talking about. I guess that means this thread turned into a Kraftster's Day at the Vet thread. Oh well.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to NHR