A Closer Look at the Players Shero Acquired

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: A Closer Look at the Players Shero Acquired

Postby Rylan on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:48 am

Kennedy > Bennett for the playoffs.

If the team is healthy Depres should be the 7th defenseman.

Vitale is a center, not a winger.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:50 am

Rylan wrote:Kennedy > Bennett for the playoffs.

If the team is healthy Depres should be the 7th defenseman.

Vitale is a center, not a winger.

Vitale can play all forward positions.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Gaucho on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:51 am

No thanks to Despres over Eaton in the playoffs.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:56 am

Gaucho wrote:No thanks to Despres over Eaton in the playoffs.

For the most part I agree, but in the event of an injury, it may be beneficial to get Despres some playoff experience in the first round of the playoffs in case he needs to play in the later rounds.

When they won the Cup in 2009, they went with 7 defensemen for a stretch of games, and if I'm not mistaken, Boucher was the 7th man and he scored a GW goal against Carolina.

It's almost a given that the 7th d-man will be very valuable in the playoffs at some point. Keeping Despres fresh and keeping his confidence high should be a priority.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Nizzy on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:58 am

Eaton doesn't have playoff speed. He will be exposed.

Mark it down and book it. Despres will be needed in the top 4 and will deliver.

Sticky it admin** If it doesn't happen, perm my account.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:58 am

RxBandit66 wrote:

For the most part I agree, but in the event of an injury, it may be beneficial to get Despres some playoff experience in the first round of the playoffs in case he needs to play in the later rounds.

When they won the Cup in 2009, they went with 7 defensemen for a stretch of games, and if I'm not mistaken, Boucher was the 7th man and he scored a GW goal against Carolina.

It's almost a given that the 7th d-man will be very valuable in the playoffs at some point. Keeping Despres fresh and keeping his confidence high should be a priority.

Despres as a 7th is fine. Anything more though and you are putting the team at serious risk. Just look at Goligoski's first playoff and how LOLBAD he was at times.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:02 pm

Nizzy wrote:

Eaton doesn't have playoff speed. He will be exposed.

Despres gets exposed in the regular season. What makes you think his inexperience will be less exploitable in the playoffs?

And what exactly is "playoff speed"?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:04 pm

Ice/Bench:
Sid Crosby
Evgeni Malkin
Chris Kunitz
Pascal Dupuis
Jarome Iginla
James Neal
Brendan Morrow
Brandon Sutter
Matt Cooke
Jussi Jokinen
Craig Adams
Tyler Kennedy
Kris Letang
Paul Martin
Brooks Orpik
Douglas Murray
Matt Niskanen
Mark Eaton
Marc-Andre Fleury
Tomas Vokoun

Suite Nachos:
Joe Vitale
Tanner Glass
Beau Bennett
Simon Despres
Robert Bortuzzo

Toilet Scrubbin':
Dustin Jeffrey
Deryk Engellend

Difference between "Suite Nachos" and "Toilet Scrubbin'"? "Suite Nachos" can/will get rotated in. "Toilet Scrubbin'" should be happy to be scrubbin' toilets and not beggin' for change.
Last edited by sil on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:04 pm

Hal Gill didn't have "playoff speed"
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:05 pm

What makes Kennedy better than Bennett in any scenario? I don't doubt that Kennedy will play over Bennett, just not sure how he's better.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:06 pm

Eh...Hal Gill and Dougie Murray are comparable because of size. Hal Gill and Eaton aren't directly comparable, but Eaton's positioning is very good and should negate not having speed.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:07 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:What makes Kennedy better than Bennett in any scenario? I don't doubt that Kennedy will play over Bennett, just not sure how he's better.

Triple-P

Previous playoff production.

At the first sign of trouble...send in Vitale or Bennett.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Godric on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:07 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:What makes Kennedy better than Bennett in any scenario? I don't doubt that Kennedy will play over Bennett, just not sure how he's better.

He is more consistent... a 10000000x better playmaker and he is the way better back checker as well.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:07 pm

Rylan wrote:Eh...Hal Gill and Dougie Murray are comparable because of size. Hal Gill and Eaton aren't directly comparable, but Eaton's positioning is very good and should negate not having speed.

I was saying more as Hal Gill and Mark Eaton's "lack of speed" don't really stop them from being effective defenders.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:07 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Hal Gill didn't have "playoff speed"

Teams with players like Eaton on them can't win in the playoffs.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:08 pm

Can't tell if sarcasm or you being you.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:11 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Rylan wrote:Eh...Hal Gill and Dougie Murray are comparable because of size. Hal Gill and Eaton aren't directly comparable, but Eaton's positioning is very good and should negate not having speed.

I was saying more as Hal Gill and Mark Eaton's "lack of speed" don't really stop them from being effective defenders.

"Effective Defenders" sure.

They didn't help with possession at all though and that's vital playing against a team like Chicago with 6 mobile puck moving guys on their backend
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:13 pm

Well, TK has speed.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:17 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
headh wrote:
over the past three seasons Sid has played in 99 out of a possible 206 games

over the past three seasons Geno has played in 146 out of a possible 206 games

I have zero interest in characterizing injuries but..... I think I'd take nagging injuries over head trauma/potential career threatening injuries any day if I'm gambling on one or the other being a viable long term player.

I think that's obvious. Point is that Sid's injuries have virtually nothing to do with his style of play.

yeah, it's a fun attempt at insight to say that sid is punished for going into danger zones, but the ankle thing in 08, the concussion, the other concussion, the re-concussion, the puck to the face...they're all pretty random injuries.

In fact, if you look at all the injuries, many of them occur off the puck. Frankly, a guy like Sid is better off in traffic since he knows to defend himself.
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Defence21 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:28 pm

Godric wrote:

He is more consistent... a 10000000x better playmaker and he is the way better back checker as well.

Maybe I'm misreading, but you can't be serious that you feel Kennedy is better offensively in any way than Bennett is. Kennedy may have experience on his side, and he may even be a better backchecker (that's debatable, considering we have such a small sample size from Bennett), but there's no way he is more consistent (Kennedy is Mr. Inconsistent in his play AND in point production), and it's unfathomable to think anyone would suggest Kennedy, who is a momentum killer due to his insistence to shoot from any/all bad angles rather than pass, is a better playmaker than Bennett, who is a natural offensive talent.

I'll buy the argument that Kennedy gets first dibs on a roster spot because he's been there and done that. I'm fine with that. But he is not a better player than Bennett for any role on this club (other than physicality...of which Kennedy brings some and Bennett brings little).
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:32 pm

I think Godric meant it the other way around
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Beveridge on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:33 pm

You kind of answer your own question with the quote
considering we have such a small sample size from Bennett

That's just it, we are only working on a small sample size. I love Beau, I think he is going to be special. I already have him penciled in for top 6 next year.

However, if you were to ask me if I'd rather have TK or Beau this year, in the playoffs, in the bottom 6, I'm taking TK for this year only because we only have a small sample size of Bennett.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Godric on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:34 pm

shmenguin wrote:I think Godric meant it the other way around

this.

whoops.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:35 pm

Defence21 wrote:
Godric wrote:

Maybe I'm misreading, but you can't be serious that you feel Kennedy is better offensively in any way than Bennett is. Kennedy may have experience on his side, and he may even be a better backchecker (that's debatable, considering we have such a small sample size from Bennett), but there's no way he is more consistent (Kennedy is Mr. Inconsistent in his play AND in point production), and it's unfathomable to think anyone would suggest Kennedy, who is a momentum killer due to his insistence to shoot from any/all bad angles rather than pass, is a better playmaker than Bennett, who is a natural offensive talent.

I'll buy the argument that Kennedy gets first dibs on a roster spot because he's been there and done that. I'm fine with that. But he is not a better player than Bennett for any role on this club (other than physicality...of which Kennedy brings some and Bennett brings little).

I'm hoping he misread my question and was listing ways that Bennett is better than Kennedy.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:42 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Defence21 wrote:
Godric wrote:

I'm hoping he misread my question and was listing ways that Bennett is better than Kennedy.

I was... and I did misread your question :thumb:
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins