Is this the toughest Pens team ever

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Is this the toughest Pens team ever

Postby Steve Dave on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:09 pm

when compared to the rest of the league?

Murray
Orpik
Engelland
Bortuzzo
Letang
Kunitz
Iginla
Morrow
Adams
Vitale
Glass
Cooke
MacIntyre
Crosby
Neal
Malkin
Kennedy
Dupuis
Last edited by Steve Dave on Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: How does this Pen's team compare...

Postby Godric on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:17 pm

I can't think of a tougher squad
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: How does this Pen's team compare...

Postby Pitts on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:32 pm

Stevens
Tocchet
Trottier
Caufield
Jennings
Loney
Samuelsson
Samuelsson
Taglianetti
Barrasso
Bourque
Errey

???
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,451
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: How does this Pen's team compare...

Postby ville5 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:18 am

Gary Roberts
/end thread.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,695
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: getting body slammed by kelly kelly

Re: How does this Pen's team compare...

Postby Nizzy on Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:22 am

Steve Dave wrote:to previous Pen's teams in toughness?

Murray
Orpik
Engelland
Bortuzzo
Kunitz
Iginla
Morrow
Kennedy
Adams
Vitale
Glass
Cooke


LOL! He almost forgot the Little Tiger Grinder.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,596
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: How does this Pen's team compare...

Postby wondermoose on Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:29 am

The definition of toughness has changed a lot over the years, but this team certainly fits both meanings. Top to bottom, they can hit, take a hit, skate, fight, and maintain a presence on the line that separates clean from dirty. I love the makeup right now.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,900
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:18 am

Re: How does this Pen's team compare...

Postby skullman80 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:29 am

I hate making comparisons to past teams, let this team forge its own identity in the playoffs.

That being said, I Love this teams makeup, and tenacity. There are some mean mofos on this team, and I like it.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,827
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: How does this Pen's team compare...

Postby Stevens25 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:53 am

That 4 minute stretch in the 1st yesterday where the canadiens couldn't get into the offensive zone let alone clear the puck. That was beautiful playoff hockey. Every single Penguin finished every check. Even greater yet was the fans understanding what was going on and cheering louder and louder.
Stevens25
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:50 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: How does this Pen's team compare...

Postby Hawkeynut on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:33 am

I don't care what this team compares to, all I know is that it is 150% better than the team from last year.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,888
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:52 am
Location: Page 554 of the new CBA

Re: How does this Pen's team compare...

Postby Shakes on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:52 am

Hawkeynut wrote:I don't care what this team compares to, all I know is that it is 150% better than the team from last year.


Yep. This topic would have been laughable as recently as a few weeks ago. Great job by Shero addressing the biggest thing this team needed - a mean streak. And now everyone's buying in.

A team tries to take an ounce, even cleanly, and the Pens are coming back for a pound and a half in return.

Grind these ******* down.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,893
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:27 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: How does this Pen's team compare...

Postby headh on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:24 am

I am also interested in how this team's toughness compares to the toughness of their potential post season opponents.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:07 am

Re: How does this Pen's team compare...

Postby Steve Dave on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:31 am

Pitts wrote:Stevens
Tocchet
Trottier
Caufield
Jennings
Loney
Samuelsson
Samuelsson
Taglianetti
Barrasso
Bourque
Errey

???


What I meant was compared with the rest of the league as well, sorry. Yes that Pens team was tough but it was a different era of hockey where enforcers were the norm. There were a few teams as tough as the Pens back then but today I can't think of a team in the league right now prepared to battle the Pens in a 7 game series...Boston maybe.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: How does this Pen's team compare...

Postby slappybrown on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:36 am

The Pens current GRIT rating (Grindiness x Roughness - Intelligence/Truculence) is up 4 parsecs since the deadline. You do the math.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,472
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: How does this Pen's team compare...

Postby Nizzy on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:42 am

Hawkeynut wrote:I don't care what this team compares to, all I know is that it is 150% better than the team from last year.


Image

Wait til the first round.

:P
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,596
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: How does this Pen's team compare...

Postby headh on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:43 am

slappybrown wrote:The Pens current GRIT rating (Grindiness x Roughness - Intelligence/Truculence) is up 4 parsecs since the deadline. You do the math.



I think you just did the math.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsec
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:07 am

Re: How does this Pen's team compare...

Postby penny lane on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:43 am

ville5 wrote:Gary Roberts
/end thread.


there's a new sheriff in town!
http://gifboom.com/x/3173e6de
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,492
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Summer sunshine heals!

Re: How does this Pen's team compare...

Postby darkstar57 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:58 am

i believe they said it in the broadcast last night for gordie howe hat tricks, morrow is second on the active player like with 6, Ignila is first with 10.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,894
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:13 pm
Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Re: How does this Pen's team compare...

Postby headh on Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:42 am

darkstar57 wrote:i believe they said it in the broadcast last night for gordie howe hat tricks, morrow is second on the active player like with 6, Ignila is first with 10.


In a season filled with awesome statistical stuf.....this is the awesomist :o :D :thumb:
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:07 am

Re: How does this Pen's team compare...

Postby CERV96 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:44 am

And Gordie Howe only had to do this once.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,629
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 am
Location: It's poop again!

Re: How does this Pen's team compare...

Postby Pitts on Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:12 am

Steve Dave wrote:What I meant was compared with the rest of the league as well, sorry. Yes that Pens team was tough but it was a different era of hockey where enforcers were the norm. There were a few teams as tough as the Pens back then but today I can't think of a team in the league right now prepared to battle the Pens in a 7 game series...Boston maybe.

Oh, no prob! In the East, I do not think there is a comparable. Boston is close, but the Pens won both the Morrow and Iginla trades over them and they "settled", if you can call it that, for Jagr. I think, due to that fact, the Pens became a lot tougher to play against. And, the Pens are doing it without their 3 top forwards and 2nd best defenseman right now. Boston seems to have struggled when their best (Bergeron, Marchant, etc.) get injured.

In the West, only Chicago makes me nervous as they are nearly as deep and skilled as the Pens. Anaheim, maybe on the toughness scale.

The Pens are proving to be a juggernaut right now. I hope it continues to translate to playoff success.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,451
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: How does this Pen's team compare...

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:49 pm

Pitts wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:What I meant was compared with the rest of the league as well, sorry. Yes that Pens team was tough but it was a different era of hockey where enforcers were the norm. There were a few teams as tough as the Pens back then but today I can't think of a team in the league right now prepared to battle the Pens in a 7 game series...Boston maybe.

Oh, no prob! In the East, I do not think there is a comparable. Boston is close, but the Pens won both the Morrow and Iginla trades over them and they "settled", if you can call it that, for Jagr. I think, due to that fact, the Pens became a lot tougher to play against. And, the Pens are doing it without their 3 top forwards and 2nd best defenseman right now. Boston seems to have struggled when their best (Bergeron, Marchant, etc.) get injured.

In the West, only Chicago makes me nervous as they are nearly as deep and skilled as the Pens. Anaheim, maybe on the toughness scale.

The Pens are proving to be a juggernaut right now. I hope it continues to translate to playoff success.


Rangers/Islanders - Capitals - Bruins - Blackhawks

That would be one heck of a fun run, lets hope it happens.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,712
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:16 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: How does this Pen's team compare...

Postby Headshot77 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:55 pm

It'sagreatdayforhockey! wrote:
Rangers/Islanders - Capitals - Bruins - Blackhawks

That would be one heck of a fun run, lets hope it happens.


That is impossible possible, since the Caps are most likely going to be the third seed.

Rangers/Islanders (hoping for Islanders, lets put the '93 season to bed) - Leafs/Canadians (hoping for Canadians) - Bruins/Caps (either one would be fantastic) - Blackhawks
Headshot77
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:02 am

Re: Is this the toughest Pens team ever

Postby Kaizer on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:13 pm

you left Sid off the list, why? just because he isnt fighting all the time doesnt mean he isnt tough. he has no fear going into he corners, and uses his physical strength to out-muscle people and keep the puck every game. he doesnt shy away from much of anything between the whistles, so just because he's an offensive powerhouse doesnt mean hes the goal scoring shooter that pulls away when there might be contact.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,328
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:02 am
Location: Crazy Town

Re: Is this the toughest Pens team ever

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:20 pm

I would love to play Winnipeg or Toronto-crazy atmosphere. Isles would also be an interesting matchup.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,202
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:31 pm

Re: Is this the toughest Pens team ever

Postby Steve Dave on Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:20 pm

Kaizer wrote:you left Sid off the list, why? just because he isnt fighting all the time doesnt mean he isnt tough. he has no fear going into he corners, and uses his physical strength to out-muscle people and keep the puck every game. he doesnt shy away from much of anything between the whistles, so just because he's an offensive powerhouse doesnt mean hes the goal scoring shooter that pulls away when there might be contact.


Fixed
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:09 pm

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

e-mail