Where is Malkin? "Earth to Malkin, Come in Malkin......"

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Where is Malkin? "Earth to Malkin, Come in Malkin......"

Postby NeddieVedder on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:39 pm

offsides wrote:
Godric wrote:
offsides wrote:No denying, Geno is definitely a very good player, just can't see giving him more money than Sid come contract time. Hopefully he would sign for the same money as Sid, if not, I'd say thanks and goodbye.

people still don't get this?

THE CBA IS NOT THE SAME. SO EVEN IF HE WANTED THE EXACT SAME CONTRACT AS SID HE WOULD HAVE A HIGHER CAP HIT BY 1.2 MILLION

Ok, I don't get it, but I still wouldn't pay him more than Sid.

Crosby's contract goes 4 years longer than the new limit and the last 3 years pay him a lot less money, averaging his cap hit back down to 8.7 even though he's making $10-12 million per year for most of the contract. Unlike Crosby, Malkin isn't allowed to commit to a $3 million cap hit for his 35, 36 year old seasons.

The collusionary wink compromise would be to pay Malkin his $9 million now and then make his next Iginla Mid-30s contract a little sweeter to even it out, but I don't think life or business work that way. He'll make more than $8.7 and the world won't end over the injustice of a higher number on a spreadsheet. Semin makes $7 million now. Wait two offseason cycles and all the numbers will make sense relative to each other again.
NeddieVedder
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:47 pm

So has anybody seen him yet? :pop:
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:01 am

Crosby isn't allowed to commit to a $3 million cap hit for age 35,36 year old seasons. Malkin will make more over his next 10 years than Crosby will because of this new CBA, and we will all look back and laugh in 10 years when the owners realize that provision that they required be included was the provision that inflated contracted values, just like the PA said it would.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:38 am

I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve Dave on Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:26 am

I may be in the minority but I still don't see why Malkin should make more than Crosby in Cap Hit. Crosby will be 26 the season his new contract begins. Malkin will be 28 the season his new contract begins (2014). Crosby has averaged 1.41 pts per game vs. Malkin at 1.22 during their careers. Crosby also holds the advantage in goals per game with .51 vs Malkin's .47. In their playoff careers, Crosby still holds an edge with 1.33 pts/game vs Malkin's 1.19 along with a .49 to .47 advantage in goals/game. All this while being better at faceoffs, increasing the team's puck possession, a very important part to DB's system.
Those that argue Malkin should sign for a larger cap hit due to the CBA's new limit on years of contracts, should he also then sign a 4 yr deal at the age of 35 for the start of the 2023 season and only avg. 4.5 per year since that is what Crosby will make in the last 4 years of his contract?
I guess time will tell, but I hope Malkin realizes that Crosby is a better overall, more consistent player along with having to deal with the media spotlight so that Malkin can hangout in the shadows more, and takes more of a discount.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:32 am

You can't compare the 2 hit caps. Crosby's was signed under a different CBA. It's apples and oranges at this point.

Malkin doesn't owe the Pens anything, the same for all other players. It will be what it will be, but I expect him to stay here if the Pens want him here and it will most likely be at a higher hit cap which means nothing. Sid would still be the highest paid on the team, just not in AAV, big freaking whoop.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:44 am

Beveridge wrote:You can't compare the 2 hit caps. Crosby's was signed under a different CBA. It's apples and oranges at this point.

Malkin doesn't owe the Pens anything, the same for all other players. It will be what it will be, but I expect him to stay here if the Pens want him here and it will most likely be at a higher hit cap which means nothing. Sid would still be the highest paid on the team, just not in AAV, big freaking whoop.

The big whoop is that a contract with a larger cap hit for a slightly lesser player than Crosby will handicap the team with re-signing other important players.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Godric on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:41 pm

Steve Dave wrote:
Beveridge wrote:You can't compare the 2 hit caps. Crosby's was signed under a different CBA. It's apples and oranges at this point.

The big whoop is that a contract with a larger cap hit for a slightly lesser player than Crosby will handicap the team with re-signing other important players.

:face: :face: :face: just stop.... you don't not sign a conn smythe and 2 time art ross winner
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Steve Dave on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:25 pm

For more than Crosby...instead you pay him the same Cap Hit.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Godric on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:30 pm

Steve Dave wrote:For more than Crosby...instead you pay him the same Cap Hit.

So the Difference between Crosby and Malkin is 30 million? Because thats how much Money Malkin would be missing out on if he signed the same cap hit as Crosby. Crosby would make 30 million more than him.

Good thing you aren't my team's GM you'd have no one that wants to play for you
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Steve Dave on Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:06 pm

Godric wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:For more than Crosby...instead you pay him the same Cap Hit.

So the Difference between Crosby and Malkin is 30 million? Because thats how much Money Malkin would be missing out on if he signed the same cap hit as Crosby. Crosby would make 30 million more than him.

Good thing you aren't my team's GM you'd have no one that wants to play for you

Actually over the 8 year contract it would be 16.8 million (2.1 per yr). Crosby will make 86.4 mil the first 8 yrs of his contract and 18 mil the final 4 years. If Malkin signed for same cap hit he would make 69.6 mil over 8 years and then be free to sign again as a 35 yr old. Not sure where you get 30 mil from?
Everyone is saying we should sign a 36 year old Iginla for 4.5 a year...I'm sure Malkin will be able to sign a 4 yr, $18mil contract at age 35 in 9 yrs, if not prob for more than that.

Crosby's contract:
12, 12, 12, 10.9, 10.9, 10, 9, 9.6, 9, 3, 3, 3
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins