Oh Claude...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Oh Claude...

Postby pressure=9Pa on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:04 pm

I can't see anything wrong with Cooke's hit, other than the fact he's the one who made it. He's hated for good reason in New England.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby John-E on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:07 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:I can't see anything wrong with Cooke's hit, other than the fact he's the one who made it. He's hated for good reason in New England.

Agreed.
John-E
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pugilist13 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:09 pm

Lol. Claude is just upset because he knows his club will be eliminated in the 1st round. You have to deflect your failures in another direction. Oh, and wasn't it Jokinen who was high sticked in the face by Krecji only to not be called.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PghSkins on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:10 pm

Yawn.

Wake me up when some opposing coach says "You know, Matt Cooke had a nice, clean game for them today."

Otherwise nothing shocking here.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:12 pm

I can't really explain this...it's not a dirty hit by definition, but that's not a hit you want to make a habit of really, it's not quite right so to speak but it's not wrong...I don't know, it's tough to explain over text and I don't know the intricacies of other sports to make a comparison unfortunately...

It's not worth Julien going to the media to talk about it, I'll say that much...it's not level of bad...but it's one of those hits that the players don't really like, don't really respect...

But this isn't a heinous crime or anything, but on a play like that, it's somewhat frowned upon to go a little low there...it's not the time and place for that hit selection...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:15 pm

Yessss, Yessssssss, Let the hate flow through you.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:17 pm

mikey287 wrote:I can't really explain this...it's not a dirty hit by definition, but that's not a hit you want to make a habit of really, it's not quite right so to speak but it's not wrong...I don't know, it's tough to explain over text and I don't know the intricacies of other sports to make a comparison unfortunately...

It's not worth Julien going to the media to talk about it, I'll say that much...it's not level of bad...but it's one of those hits that the players don't really like, don't really respect...

But this isn't a heinous crime or anything, but on a play like that, it's somewhat frowned upon to go a little low there...it's not the time and place for that hit selection...

Mikey, normally i value your "Hockey Sense"...

...But...

... The purpose of a hit is to get a player to not be so comfortable the next time he makes that particular play. In that respect Cooke's hit was great, it was within the rules, and it was delivered without malice.

The issue with that hit was that the receipient wasn't expecting a low hit, he was expecting shoulder on shoulder. That's not Matt Cookes responsibility.

JMHO
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby llipgh2 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:17 pm

Julien whines about EVERYTHING...
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BfromD on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:25 pm

"Wait, there are bones in this chicken! I wanted the new boneless chicken from The Colonel!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!"
BfromD
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:26 pm

PghSkins wrote:Yawn.

Wake me up when some opposing coach says "You know, Matt Cooke had a nice, clean game for them today."

I don't view everything through a strategic lens like many of those here who have played, studied, and coached the game, but I saw nothing wrong with the hit.

It's not like Cooke rode a guy into a stanchion or anything. :pop: Something like that would be long forgiven and buried.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shakes on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:26 pm

mikey287 wrote:I can't really explain this...it's not a dirty hit by definition, but that's not a hit you want to make a habit of really, it's not quite right so to speak but it's not wrong...I don't know, it's tough to explain over text and I don't know the intricacies of other sports to make a comparison unfortunately...

This is essentially what Brick said on NESN. He never called it dirty or a penalty but said that guys expect shoulder to shoulder in that situation, which is why the Bs were pissed.

Big who cares for me. The Cooke we've seen the last few games is the one I want to see going forward.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:27 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
PghSkins wrote:Yawn.

I don't view everything through a strategic lens like many of those here who have played, studied, and coached the game, but I saw nothing wrong with the hit.

It's not like Cooke rode a guy into a stanchion or anything. :pop: Something like that would be long forgiven and buried.

Boy I miss those days :pop:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby mikey287 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:43 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:

...But...

... The purpose of a hit is to get a player to not be so comfortable the next time he makes that particular play. In that respect Cooke's hit was great, it was within the rules, and it was delivered without malice.

The issue with that hit was that the receipient wasn't expecting a low hit, he was expecting shoulder on shoulder. That's not Matt Cookes responsibility.

JMHO

That's not unfair, EPP, it's really not. And I don't have a major problem with the hit as you read...but it is one of those, "really...?" hits more than anything.

For instance, puck comes rolling back to the point, the defenseman throws it in deep, alright fine...in high school and even college (because of those damn cages) you'll see a forward take a stride and blow that guy up just because...he can...ya know what I mean? It's not a "productive" hit, it's just a hit because you're wearing this body armor, you don't feel pain, you're 18 years old and full of testosterone and you can hit someone...

At the pro level, that hit isn't made...you don't finish that hit because it's an amateur hit...if you know what I mean...the only player I can think of in the NHL that actually makes that hit fairly regularly I think is Zac Rinaldo. It's not a "respectable" pro hit, it's a high school hit...

Now, this hit - in an of itself - isn't like that but the "hit selection" is...it's just a "really...dude...?" kind of hit more than anything with malice, like you note...

Sorry, tough to describe...you're not wrong though and like I said, it's not bad enough - in my opinion - to go to the media about it...he was probably provoked to talked about Cooke or something...but at the time, if that hit happens in front of the bench, you take some **** for it from the other bench, maybe you get a little business in the corner next time you're there...but after that you move on...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby npv708 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:53 pm

npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:54 pm

mikey287 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

...But...

JMHO

That's not unfair, EPP, it's really not. And I don't have a major problem with the hit as you read...but it is one of those, "really...?" hits more than anything.

For instance, puck comes rolling back to the point, the defenseman throws it in deep, alright fine...in high school and even college (because of those damn cages) you'll see a forward take a stride and blow that guy up just because...he can...ya know what I mean? It's not a "productive" hit, it's just a hit because you're wearing this body armor, you don't feel pain, you're 18 years old and full of testosterone and you can hit someone...

At the pro level, that hit isn't made...you don't finish that hit because it's an amateur hit...if you know what I mean...the only player I can think of in the NHL that actually makes that hit fairly regularly I think is Zac Rinaldo. It's not a "respectable" pro hit, it's a high school hit...

Now, this hit - in an of itself - isn't like that but the "hit selection" is...it's just a "really...dude...?" kind of hit more than anything with malice, like you note...

Sorry, tough to describe...you're not wrong though and like I said, it's not bad enough - in my opinion - to go to the media about it...he was probably provoked to talked about Cooke or something...but at the time, if that hit happens in front of the bench, you take some **** for it from the other bench, maybe you get a little business in the corner next time you're there...but after that you move on...

Mikey, first off

:fist:

Secondly, and this is just my opinion. The game needs more of these hits and not less.

I'm not here to watch basketball, I'm here to watch hockey... Ulf, Darius, Scott Stevens HOCKEY.

Maybe I'm just an old schoool fool...

But :fist: none-the-less
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:00 pm

I'll :fist: to that...I also lean towards the old school...nothing wrong with a good, hard, physical game!
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:04 pm

I noticed he had nothing to say about McQuaid's slew foot on Sutter...
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby John-E on Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:04 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

...But...

JMHO

Mikey, first off

Secondly, and this is just my opinion. The game needs more of these hits and not less.

I'm not here to watch basketball, I'm here to watch hockey... Ulf, Darius, Scott Stevens HOCKEY.

Like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc6Aayx8z9w
John-E
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:07 pm

John-E wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

...But...

JMHO

Mikey, first off

Like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc6Aayx8z9w

No not like that, that's over the line.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby E-Ramone on Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:35 pm

Mikey, I think I know what you mean. I went to Cornell when Murray and Moulson were there, and I went to almost every game. Aside from the obvious difference in talent between the NHL and college hockey, it seemed like college hockey tended to have more guys that would go out their way for that big hit just for the sake of making a splash, more or less. It seems like in the NHL there is more of a controlled feel to the play. I guess that's part of the players being professionals vs. amateurs.

That all being said, I guess you have to push things a bit like Cooke did to keep an edge, I suppose.
E-Ramone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Godric on Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:35 pm

I loved him when I was a kid but now that I know better its pretty clear Kaspar was a wreckless borderline psycho....

I point to his celebrating ending Big E's career (i probably would have been ecstatic too considering lindros jumped him during the WC earlier that year)
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby skullman80 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:39 pm

I was at that game. That hit was clean as a whistle that Kasper put on lindros.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:45 pm

E-Ramone wrote:Mikey, I think I know what you mean. I went to Cornell when Murray and Moulson were there, and I went to almost every game. Aside from the obvious difference in talent between the NHL and college hockey, it seemed like college hockey tended to have more guys that would go out their way for that big hit just for the sake of making a splash, more or less. It seems like in the NHL there is more of a controlled feel to the play. I guess that's part of the players being professionals vs. amateurs.

That all being said, I guess you have to push things a bit like Cooke did to keep an edge, I suppose.

Yup, you're bang on. And even though I like physical play, I like it in the context of the game. Otherwise, I'd just watch LNAH games...I don't particularly care for college hockey because it's basically 5 really physical goalies and a real goalie...everyone is fearless because of their equipment, the NFL linebacker shoulder pads, then you got the big steel cage or the fishbowl out in front, you can throw your body into anything, it doesn't matter really...so you can finish any hit, everyone is the big man on campus...

When you get to the show, there isn't a need for that, hell, there isn't even a want for that with some of the hits...

And wow that Kasparaitis hit is real low...holy cow...

The referee in me would be excited to break out the "clipping" call, as you never really get to use that one...though I would be apprehensive because I'm not positive of the signal to use, though I would guess it resembles the NFL's signal...no one will know the difference I'm sure...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby joopen on Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:48 pm

mikey287 wrote:
E-Ramone wrote:Mikey, I think I know what you mean. I went to Cornell when Murray and Moulson were there, and I went to almost every game. Aside from the obvious difference in talent between the NHL and college hockey, it seemed like college hockey tended to have more guys that would go out their way for that big hit just for the sake of making a splash, more or less. It seems like in the NHL there is more of a controlled feel to the play. I guess that's part of the players being professionals vs. amateurs.

Yup, you're bang on. And even though I like physical play, I like it in the context of the game. Otherwise, I'd just watch LNAH games...I don't particularly care for college hockey because it's basically 5 really physical goalies and a real goalie...everyone is fearless because of their equipment, the NFL linebacker shoulder pads, then you got the big steel cage or the fishbowl out in front, you can throw your body into anything, it doesn't matter really...so you can finish any hit, everyone is the big man on campus...

When you get to the show, there isn't a need for that, hell, there isn't even a want for that with some of the hits...

And wow that Kasparaitis hit is real low...holy cow...

The referee in me would be excited to break out the "clipping" call, as you never really get to use that one...though I would be apprehensive because I'm not positive of the signal to use, though I would guess it resembles the NFL's signal...no one will know the difference I'm sure...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26316

The more you know :wink:
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins