OFFICIAL (substitute) GDT -- PENGUINS AT BRUINS 4-20

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: OFFICIAL (substitute) GDT -- PENGUINS AT BRUINS 4-20

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:03 am

DesertPenguin wrote:I was working today and only got to see the highlights. From that limited sample, Bennett looked really, really good. He's got skills with the puck unseen on this team outside of Sid and Geno.

And if he doesn't play in the playoffs, then DB has a complete hate on for rookies. The guy has MORE than earned his playing time and is dangerous when he gets the puck. His biggest knock was his defensive game and he's more than impressed in that area.

Kunitz - Sid - Iginla
Bennett - Malkin - Neal
Morrow - Jokinen - Dupuis
Cooke - Sutter - Adams

Kennedy, Glass, Jeffrey, Vitale

Or something to that effect.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:42 am

Playing devil's advocate here: Bennett's "problem" is that, unlike Adams, Glass, and TK, he doesn't add anything to the team that they don't have in abundance when Sid and Geno return. They may not the be the sexy choices, but they fill important roles, especially in the playoffs. Again, I'd much rather see BB, but scratching him in the playoffs would have nothing to do with hating rookies.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:10 am

Gaucho wrote:Playing devil's advocate here: Bennett's "problem" is that, unlike Adams, Glass, and TK, he doesn't add anything to the team that they don't have in abundance when Sid and Geno return. They may not the be the sexy choices, but they fill important roles, especially in the playoffs. Again, I'd much rather see BB, but scratching him in the playoffs would have nothing to do with hating rookies.

No, I think there's plenty of merit to that. The Pens need to be more than just a team that can outscore you. Bennett's opportunities could be extremely limited if they ever have a healthy lineup. He's pretty much stuck as a fourth liner. He may not even find much PP time. I'd have a hard time sitting him because he makes things happen no matter who he's playing with, a sign that he belongs in the NHL, because you can't use the Tangradian excuse that he's not getting a real opportunity. I'm digressing. But I've said a bunch of times, I'd personally have a hard time sitting Glass who is the most prolific hitter on the team, they will need that physicality in the playoffs.

The ever present qualifier, though, is that all of these discussions assume a fully healthy lineup. I really doubt they're going to have many games in the playoffs where there aren't any injuries.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins