Mario's TV coming back?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Mario's TV coming back?

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:04 pm

Any news on this?

Bueller? Bueller?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby topshelf66 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:45 pm

They are having it this year east of Mario Lemieux place. They have contracted with four different food trucks for concessions including BRGR and Franktuary.
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:08 pm

topshelf66 wrote:They are having it this year east of Mario Lemieux place. They have contracted with four different food trucks for concessions including BRGR and Franktuary.

Source?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:22 pm

PensHckyFan79 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
no name wrote:
Jopaz wrote:Since it appears there is no longer a good spot for this (without taking up valuable parking lot space or blocking streets), here is a suggestion:
- Do not do this for home games. Parking and traffic are already tight without adding several thousand more people to the area around CEC.
- For away games, open up the arena and have small admisssion charge that goes to charity. The video and sound inside CEC is so much better, there are comfortable seats, and no issues with rain or cold.

Or, as some else mentioned, set it up at the parking lots by PNC Park or Heinz Field. If you are not inside the arena, does it really matter if you are sitting just outside the game or in another part of town? It is just a gathering of fans to watch the game and could be held anywhere.

Love this idea, if they would just open the lower bowl and have the concession stands open they would make a killing. No worries about the weather It wouldn't be unrealistic that they could get 3000 fans in there for that. I would take my kids to watch a game for something controled like this. I fear losing my kids in that crowd the way it is now.

There are a lot of costs to operating the arena though, not to mention other events there on Penguins off-days.

I believe they did this in 09' for the SCF games that were away in Detriot (at least game 7 I think)

They did it in 08' for a couple games, charged $5 for Mario Foundation and only 1 side of the arena was open. I watched the famous 3 ot game 5 in Mellon arena, was awesome but i remember it being hard to see the puck on that Mellon screen...... Wouldn't be a problem now though
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:34 pm

penny lane wrote:[img]MariosTVoutsideMellon[/img]

so very cool! I went in 2010, cold night against ottawa. and in 09, warm saturday against the canes. It was amazing to watch the big screen highlights, see the crowds gather.

Thanks so much for posting this! :thumb: I just love this photo and a similar You Tube. Kennedy's goal vs. the Red Wings, '09 SCF, Game 4.

This expatriated fan gets so fired up at seeing this! Wooooo! :fist:
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby topshelf66 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:55 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:
topshelf66 wrote:They are having it this year east of Mario Lemieux place. They have contracted with four different food trucks for concessions including BRGR and Franktuary.

Source?

Source is the Penguins. I have been working with those food vendors to try to get them to use Dr Pepper Snapple beverages for the big TV events.
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:41 pm

Nice
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:54 pm

The Tribune Review says the Pittsburgh Penguins Fan Zone will be somewhere on Center Avenue. Anyone have any info?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:05 pm

I assume NBC has agreed to allow it against this year, which should be a no-brainer... it's great for the game, and even better for their public relations.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby She'sTheFastest on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:29 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Doc doesn't like the TV because it emits radio transmissions that interfere with his ability to speak telepathicly with aliens.

Why should Doc care he's going to be announcing the games anyway.
She'sTheFastest
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JS© on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:19 am

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i ... t-penguins

Pittsburgh playoff tradition returns Wednesday night when fans can watch the Penguins’ playoff opener on the Trib Total Media “Big Screen” – in a new location, across the street from CONSOL Energy Center.

The 16’ x 9’ high-resolution LED screen will set up in the arena parking lot at the corner of Centre Avenue and Mario Lemieux Place. It will be part of an interactive and fan-friendly FedEx Ground Fan Zone, featuring live entertainment, special promotions, giveaways and playoff rally towels.

The popular screen has been a part of Penguins’ playoff hockey since 2008, and it gives fans who don’t have tickets a chance to come together and experience the playoff atmosphere while watching the games for free.

All Penguins’ first-round playoff games will be shown on the Big Screen.

The Fan Zone and Big Screen area will open four hours before home games and two hours before away games.

For safety reasons, grills, glass and alcoholic beverages will not be permitted.

All fans with tickets to Penguins’ playoff home games will receive white rally towels when they enter CONSOL Energy Center. However, the Penguins will not be doing an official “whiteout” as in the past. Fans are encouraged to wear their Penguins gear in any color.

Among the many other playoff initiatives are:
60,000 playoff yards signs (distributed via Pizza Hut and Dick’s Sporting Goods)
A playoff-themed “Miller Lite Party Pavilion” for home games at the Verizon Plaza
Annual playoff “Beard-A-Thon” presented by Supercuts
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:22 am

Glad they agree the white aht is played out.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:02 pm

Is that the old players parking lot or the old season ticket holders parking lot???
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Farva on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:05 pm

lol how could anyone hate this?
Farva

Postby drnort on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:39 pm

I have always thought the Pens needed more of an atmosphere for pre-game outside of the arena. Vendors, games, music, etc. Mario Lemieux place is the perfect place to have something like that set up. Hope they do a good job with it.
drnort
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:42 pm

Buy MARIOS TV FOR YOUR FRONT YARD! AVAILABLE AT BEST BUY FOR $599. OFFICIAL MARIO'S TV.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:16 pm

drnort wrote:I have always thought the Pens needed more of an atmosphere for pre-game outside of the arena. Vendors, games, music, etc. Mario Lemieux place is the perfect place to have something like that set up. Hope they do a good job with it.

Agreed, can't wait for the party atmosphere Wednesday.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby stopper40 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:39 pm

drnort wrote:I have always thought the Pens needed more of an atmosphere for pre-game outside of the arena. Vendors, games, music, etc. Mario Lemieux place is the perfect place to have something like that set up. Hope they do a good job with it.

I thought the same thing after I went to a game in philly/Boston a couple years ago when Boston won the cup. The whole athmosphere outside for the pre-game was really a lot of fun
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Headshot77 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:59 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:Buy MARIOS TV FOR YOUR FRONT YARD! AVAILABLE AT BEST BUY FOR $599. OFFICIAL MARIO'S TV.

Link or it didn't happen
Headshot77
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Ad@m on Thu May 23, 2013 11:02 pm

New Mario TV for Friday. The 16 by 9, will be replaced with a 27 by 15.
Ad@m
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu May 23, 2013 11:08 pm

Heard Madden talking about this on the way home from the Pirates game. I like it....
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu May 23, 2013 11:20 pm

We went during the flyers elimination game 5 back in 08. Had an absolute blast. Back ten there were maybe 1500 people down there. I seethe pictures now and there's not a chance in hell I'd go again
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JS© on Fri May 24, 2013 8:56 am

Ad@m wrote:New Mario TV for Friday. The 16 by 9, will be replaced with a 27 by 15.

http://www.wtae.com/sports/penguins/big ... index.html
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Fri May 24, 2013 9:19 am

It's going to be one large- arse TV. Those folks deserve it!.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins