Blackhawks aren't that good

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Blackhawks aren't that good

Postby mikey287 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:14 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:The Blackhawks have gone to a shootout in 25% of their games (11 of 44) and won 6 of them. That's 16% of their total pts. coming from a skills competition-an unreal stat. Obviously they're a great team, but let's see what they do when they can't use the shootout as a crutch.


Alright, so let's call them ties...that knocks them all the way down to 67 points, right? Which is still easily the best in the West...even without doing the same for Anaheim (6 shootout wins), Vancouver (5 SOW), San Jose (8 SOW), St. Louis (5 SOW), Minnesota (4 SOW), Columbus (5 SOW)...the only playoff team not listed, Los Angeles (2 SOW)...

Versus their peers, their shootout win total isn't really much to talk about really, right?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,587
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Blackhawks aren't that good

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:25 pm

mikey287 wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:The Blackhawks have gone to a shootout in 25% of their games (11 of 44) and won 6 of them. That's 16% of their total pts. coming from a skills competition-an unreal stat. Obviously they're a great team, but let's see what they do when they can't use the shootout as a crutch.


Alright, so let's call them ties...that knocks them all the way down to 67 points, right? Which is still easily the best in the West...even without doing the same for Anaheim (6 shootout wins), Vancouver (5 SOW), San Jose (8 SOW), St. Louis (5 SOW), Minnesota (4 SOW), Columbus (5 SOW)...the only playoff team not listed, Los Angeles (2 SOW)...

Versus their peers, their shootout win total isn't really much to talk about really, right?


I'm not saying that their shootout wins raise a red flag of sorts...it's just odd that the supposed best team in the league has needed to go to the shootout to get it done in 11 games this season. This would suggest either they're using the shootout as a crutch because they know they can do well in it, or they have a difficult time of closing teams out (or it's an anomaly, but I would suggest it's one of the two former reasons). The Blackhawks obviously pass the eyeball test, I'm not disputing their dominance over the West, but I'm also saying that they might not be unbeatable for some Western teams in a 7 game series. I have noticed that the West in general has had a ton of games go to the shootout.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,385
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:31 pm

Re: Blackhawks aren't that good

Postby mikey287 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:34 pm

Right, the West exhibits a better, more structured brand of hockey and as a result, more games end in a tie. If the Blackhawks had way more SOW than everyone, then sure, it's a reasonable point (it's not even unreasonable now)...but every playoff team in the West is in the same boat. The shootout, in this case, is just an unfortunate by-product of a well-played game...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,587
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Blackhawks aren't that good

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:38 pm

Interesting stat about the SOW.

Didn't the Blackhawks also have the largest goal differential in the league?

If so, that's a bit of a statistical anonmoly.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Blackhawks aren't that good

Postby columbia on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:42 pm

By a wide margin, Western teams have gained more points from OT (regular and SO) losses.
If nothing else, it indicates a greater level of parity.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,492
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Blackhawks aren't that good

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:45 pm

I would still like to see someone break a stick off Patrick Kane's face for his ridiculous shootout attempts
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,318
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Does it sound like I'm trying to order a pizza?!

Re: Blackhawks aren't that good

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:47 pm

ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Blackhawks aren't that good

Postby pugilist13 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:08 pm

Hawks are very solid. I've been waiting all season for their goaltending to crash and burn and it hasn't happened. The playoffs are a whole different animal though.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,258
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:51 pm
Location: your back yard

Re: Blackhawks aren't that good

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:02 pm

I'd love to see how well Chicago would play without Toews, Kane, Hossa and Keith... heh
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,318
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Does it sound like I'm trying to order a pizza?!

Re: Blackhawks aren't that good

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:55 am

Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,620
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Blackhawks aren't that good

Postby Kraftster on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:14 am

I'm pretty glad I missed this thread over the weekend. I probably would have wasted far too much time in here when, in reality, I should have known to stop reading at:

marek wrote:Easy division.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,223
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Frolik

Re: Blackhawks aren't that good

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:34 am

Idoit40fans wrote:http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60899#p2328812

I'd take either.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,318
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Does it sound like I'm trying to order a pizza?!

Re: Blackhawks aren't that good

Postby marek on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:06 pm

Kraftster wrote:I'm pretty glad I missed this thread over the weekend. I probably would have wasted far too much time in here when, in reality, I should have known to stop reading at:

marek wrote:Easy division.


um yeah...
St. Louis 54 (results so far vs 3-2 W, 3-0 W, 4-3 SOL, 2-0 W)
Columbus 51 (3-2 W, 1-0 W, 4-3 OTW, 2-1 SOW)
Detroit 50 (2-1 OTW, 2-1 SOW, 7-1 W, 3-2 SOW)
Nashville 39 (3-0 W, 3-2 SOW, 1-0 W, 5-3 W, 5-4 OTW)

one win in which they didn't have their hands completely full.
10 one goal or overtime W games?!?!?!?! yes thats an easy division.
only two of the divisional foes will make the playoffs.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,778
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:44 am
Location: The Farms, La Jolla California

Re: Blackhawks aren't that good

Postby mikey287 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:10 pm

One of the few, perhaps only (when it's all done) division with four playoff teams is the bad one...? Anyone that watches the West isn't buying what you're selling unfortunately...maybe try explaining it differently...?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,587
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Blackhawks aren't that good

Postby pcm on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:36 pm

He's trying to convince himself to put money on the Blackhawks getting upset in the first round.

Just let him lose his $.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,599
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: Blackhawks aren't that good

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:53 pm

Man, I can't wait until the Blackhawks beat the Penguins in six games to win the Stanley Cup and we can all look back on this thread and laugh.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 58,042
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Blackhawks aren't that good

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:55 pm

Yeah, I just don't see any rationale for saying the Hawks aren't good. None.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,270
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:21 pm
Location: Roger Roger.

Re: Blackhawks aren't that good

Postby joopen on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:58 pm

Psh... They let Luc Robataille tie the game as time expired... They soff
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,849
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:17 pm
Location: right behind you

Re: Blackhawks aren't that good

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:09 pm

They let Brad Tolliver beat the **** out of their guys
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,998
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Blackhawks aren't that good

Postby marek on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:56 pm

mikey287 wrote:One of the few, perhaps only (when it's all done) division with four playoff teams is the bad one...? Anyone that watches the West isn't buying what you're selling unfortunately...maybe try explaining it differently...?


Ok.. explained differently. And I probably should have titled the thread differently...

The Blackhawks aren't as good as their record says they are. The west isn't as strong as the east. I live here. I've seen more western games this season alone than most have in 3-4 years combined. If they actually played in the Pacific division and not in the central the Pens would have wrapped up the President's trophy last week.

their 0-3 vs Anaheim... they struggle against the Kings... they struggle against Vancouver... 1-2
they've had 16 overtime and/or shootout games... 8-10 of which were against non playoff teams (TBD as Detroit/columbus won't make it)...

and yes they just might lose the opening round against Minnesota of Columbus.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,778
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:44 am
Location: The Farms, La Jolla California

Re: Blackhawks aren't that good

Postby Penspal on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:05 pm

I will only look at the West when the Pens reach the final. I'd bet money they will make the final 4.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,575
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 am
Location: dark recesses of Sid's brain

Re: Blackhawks aren't that good

Postby Shakes on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:10 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Yeah, I just don't see any rationale for saying the Hawks aren't good. None.


To be fair, he didn't say they aren't good. He says they're not that good.

I don't agree, but I'm in the group that has seen 60 minutes of them only 4-5 times. In those games, they just dominated the puck and looked every bit as good as they look on paper.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,906
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:27 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: Blackhawks aren't that good

Postby Godric on Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:03 pm

Duncan Keith is a sexist POS
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: Blackhawks aren't that good

Postby mikey287 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:06 pm

marek wrote:
mikey287 wrote:One of the few, perhaps only (when it's all done) division with four playoff teams is the bad one...? Anyone that watches the West isn't buying what you're selling unfortunately...maybe try explaining it differently...?


Ok.. explained differently. And I probably should have titled the thread differently...

The Blackhawks aren't as good as their record says they are. The west isn't as strong as the east. I live here. I've seen more western games this season alone than most have in 3-4 years combined. If they actually played in the Pacific division and not in the central the Pens would have wrapped up the President's trophy last week.

their 0-3 vs Anaheim... they struggle against the Kings... they struggle against Vancouver... 1-2
they've had 16 overtime and/or shootout games... 8-10 of which were against non playoff teams (TBD as Detroit/columbus won't make it)...

and yes they just might lose the opening round against Minnesota of Columbus.


Respectfully, you didn't really explain anything.

The West is better than the East, and don't underestimate my West watching...I watch the West just as much as I watch the East.

The overtime thing was already addressed previously, it's a common thing for the West. Did you name the only teams that they've lost to and then call them on it...?

At least they're playoff teams...the Penguins are 0-2 against the Devils, struggled against Carolina, and pending the result tonight against Buffalo, they might be 1-2 against them. All non-playoff teams. Does that necessarily say anything about us?

How does the Atlantic stack up to the Central...?

I just don't understand the hate. If you said Anaheim, maybe, but Chicago looks every bit as good as their record, they play in a tough division, have a tough travel schedule, play in the tougher conference...it's just hard to figure out what this is all founded in...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,587
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Blackhawks aren't that good

Postby Fire0nice228 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:44 pm

9 of the Pens 15 wins on the streak were by 1 goal...
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,746
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:10 pm
Location: refs fault

PreviousNext

Return to NPR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


e-mail