Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Shyster on Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:23 am

Easton wrote:I can't remember the last time I was this excited over a game... I finally landed on the Mun!
I had some... technical difficulties, which resulted in everything blowing up except my capsule. Hooray for Bob Kerban!

:thumb: Awesome! I don't think I've ever played a video game that gave as much sense of accomplishment when I actually manage to pull something off.

I had an epic KSP mission on Saturday. I decided to go again to Minmus, as the last time I went one of my 'nauts got killed on the EVA. I went again with a two-launch strategy: a lander/tugboat and a fuel tanker. I've gotten much better at orbital docking, so I launched them both, hooked up in Kerbin orbit, and headed for Minmus. Here's their arrival in orbit:

I then separated and touched down. Here's sunrise over a frozen lake on Minmus:

After launching back to Minmus orbit and hooking back up with the fuel tanker, I burned for Kerbin return. But I noticed that if I slung around Kerbin without braking, I would be on course for a very close Mün encounter. I still had about 1/4 of the tanker left, so I decided to gamble and go for it. Here's my 'nauts touching their second moon of the mission:

After heading back to orbit and hooking up with the tanker for a third time (which drained it empty), I headed back to Kerbin and had just enough fuel to de-orbit. I even managed to splash down in the ocean right off the launch center. This whole process took about 8 hours of real time to play.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddysnake on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:12 am

what game is that?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:14 am

Played Metroid again for a little bit. Beat the boss in Sector 3. Now I'm in Sector 2, just pretty much started. Have 32 missles, 3 charge parts, 5 energy parts, 2 energy tanks, and have up to the Varia suit started. Decent game so far. Controls are a little tough at first, but after a while, you get used to them.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:24 am

eddysnake wrote:what game is that?

https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/
:fist:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby eddysnake on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:45 am

looks fun. I played Kirbys adventure (NES) for a while yesterday, I don't ever remember getting into Kirby, but it's fun.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:47 am

eddysnake wrote:looks fun. I played Kirbys adventure (NES) for a while yesterday, I don't ever remember getting into Kirby, but it's fun.

For all of my NES love, that is one series I never got into or ever played.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:26 am

Finally, after much struggle and toil, I finished Bioshock Infinite this morning.

Spoiler:

Holy flippin' guano loco mind bender awesomesauce...............!

Okay, I admit that I suspected the connection between Booker and Elizabeth before I even started playing the game. And I figured the connection between Booker and Comstock when the latter met his end in the game (neither of which were seriously difficult to intuit). But bringing it all together the way the game did, making a cohesive and compelling story that was so strong from start to finish...... this is without question the most provocative game I've ever played. If you wanted to dramatize this, it would take an HBO mini-series. It was completely and utterly bonkers (in a good way).

So, on to the questions.....

Are the Lutece twins actually just two versions of the same person? They were like on-off switches, completely opposite, yet the same.

When you go to the final baptism thing, where did the Elizabeth you'd been with all game disappear to? She had been wearing a broach, but at the river the one you're talking to doesn't have it and Booker sort of mentions something's amiss.

Am I the only one that was sad when Songbird died? There was something very touching about the way Elizabeth was sort of consoling him.

And the biggest question....... when you get to Rapture for the beginning of the finale, you use the bathysphere system to get topside. But there are signs posted that say bathysphere travel has been suspended, which puts your arrival in line with events from the first game in the series (~1960). And the only reason Jack could use the bathyspheres in Bioshock was because his genetic signature was close enough to Ryan's and the security system couldn't detect a difference. But Booker uses the bathysphere with no problem. Is Andrew Ryan some alternate version of Booker?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:47 am

Infinite-related

Spoiler:
Songbird's death was sad to me too. Grew to love the guy as much as I was scared crapless of him earlier in the game.

I am fairly certain Andrew Ryan is an alternate version of Booker, I saw that suggested elsewhere.

I believe the Lutece twins are the same person (the original was Rosalind).

One thing I thought was cool....remember when you see the twins for the first time, and they ask you heads or tails? If you noticed, they have a board and heads (or tails, whatever you select) is marked dozens and dozens of times, suggesting that they have tried this scenario countless times before, hoping that Booker Dewitt is able to end the Comstock pattern.

The one thing I am not sure about.....what was the final significance of the bird vs. the cage? Anything?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:52 pm

put a good 7 hr shift into lego undercover yesterday. this game makes me laugh. there was a level in a jail that had about 40 shawshank references.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:06 pm

newarenanow wrote:
eddysnake wrote:looks fun. I played Kirbys adventure (NES) for a while yesterday, I don't ever remember getting into Kirby, but it's fun.

I'm not sure if this is the first of the Kirby series, but it looked like it had a lot in common with mario 2. I'm pretty sure a lot of the bad guys are straight from mario 2 or vice versa, not sure if there is a crossover relation. It's actually a pretty fun time, you can suck up bad guys and take over their abilities (sword, laser, fire, etc)
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:14 pm

canaan wrote:put a good 7 hr shift into lego undercover yesterday. this game makes me laugh. there was a level in a jail that had about 40 shawshank references.

now that you've played it for a while, what are your thoughts? also, looks like virtual console and speed update coming today or tomorrow. Does this mean we'll be able to play game boy games on the game pad?

games at launch:

Spoiler:
NES:

Balloon Fight
Donkey Kong Jr
Excitebike
Kirby’s Adventure
Punch-Out
Ice Climber
SNES:

F-Zero
Super Mario World
NES:

Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA)
Mario Bros.
Yoshi
Mega Man 1
Wrecking Crew
Yoshi’s Cookie
SNES:

Kirby’s Dream Course
Kirby’s Dream Land 3
Kirby Super Star
Super Metroid
EarthBound
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:23 pm

Lego undercover is a lot of fun, but i fear that an inevitable mining for super blocks to be in my future. The costume changes can be tedious at times...you have to switch to the robber costume if you want to use the crowbar, for example...it is probably my biggest gripe. i dont believe that i will attempt to 100% this game because there is so much to do/get. it really is a big game. i didnt think it was at first, but man oh man, you can spend 75+ hours on it.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:31 pm

Going down the League of Legends rabbit whole. If you don't want to get addicted to a game, do not try it out haha.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:38 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Infinite-related

Spoiler:
The one thing I am not sure about.....what was the final significance of the bird vs. the cage? Anything?

Spoiler:
We would traditionally think of bird and cage representing freedom and confinement, respectively. But in Columbia, as experienced by Elizabeth, the bird actually represents confinement and the cage (the Siphon) is Elizabeth's freedom.

I'm not sure how that impacts the story of the game, especially as regards the point at Battleship Bay where the Lutece's offer Elizabeth a brooch for her necklace and you choose either a bird or a cage.

The cage and the bird do not exist on the same side of the disc, but when spun quickly enough the brain sees both images at the same time. Thus the bird appears confined behind the bars.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:25 pm

Sweet. Kerbal Space Program is adding flags to the game:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entry.php/242-Flags!
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the wicked child on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:07 pm

newarenanow wrote:

I am disappoint. Kirby's Adventure was a blast.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thepittman on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:33 pm

Shyster wrote:Sweet. Kerbal Space Program is adding flags to the game:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entry.php/242-Flags!

I think I'm going to get in on this
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:00 pm

newarenanow wrote:Played Metroid again for a little bit. Beat the boss in Sector 3. Now I'm in Sector 2, just pretty much started. Have 32 missles, 3 charge parts, 5 energy parts, 2 energy tanks, and have up to the Varia suit started. Decent game so far. Controls are a little tough at first, but after a while, you get used to them.

I've hit a dead end in my game of original metroid. I think i gotta just start shooting and bombing everywhere to try and find some hidden rooms.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:04 pm

Played my first online races of F1 2012 after sticking strictly to career.

I hate people. You can't be the 1st or 2nd person into the first corner, otherwise you're getting slammed off the track by multiple cars.

However, that aside, it's enjoyable after all the idiots quit out because there's no way for them to catch up. Came in 2nd out of 5 by a second or so the last race I played after starting 4th, so there's some improvement after bringing up the rear my first few races.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:42 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Played my first online races of F1 2012 after sticking strictly to career.

I hate people. You can't be the 1st or 2nd person into the first corner, otherwise you're getting slammed off the track by multiple cars.

However, that aside, it's enjoyable after all the idiots quit out because there's no way for them to catch up. Came in 2nd out of 5 by a second or so the last race I played after starting 4th, so there's some improvement after bringing up the rear my first few races.

Should I get this? I couldn't get into forza but I've been craving a racing game. I'd heard they weren't making an F1 2013 so this is my only option for an F1 fix.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:02 pm

I like it. Takes some getting used to (I had been a strictly Forza player prior to this), but I've finally started to get the hang of doing the braking by myself (yeah yeah, I know... laugh it up).

Online is kinda frustrating, but rewarding when you don't get plowed by the field in the first corner. Finally won my first race because I started in 1st (grid was randomized). Goal is to beat everyone to the first corner by a second or two.

Career is fun because you can change teams each year (I'm in my 3rd season) and you have to be a crap team in the 1st year, so it provides a challenge.

I'd recommend it.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:57 am

shmenguin wrote:
newarenanow wrote:Played Metroid again for a little bit. Beat the boss in Sector 3. Now I'm in Sector 2, just pretty much started. Have 32 missles, 3 charge parts, 5 energy parts, 2 energy tanks, and have up to the Varia suit started. Decent game so far. Controls are a little tough at first, but after a while, you get used to them.

I've hit a dead end in my game of original metroid. I think i gotta just start shooting and bombing everywhere to try and find some hidden rooms.

Where are you stuck?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:27 am

i can see where this convo is going.

shmenguin: this guy keeps shooting me
nan: you mean you dont have the infinity health codes and golden gun cheats?
shmenguin: no, i want to actually beat the game
nan: waaaaaaa?

~fin~
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:33 am

Defiance is still fun. Thought it would get stale overtime.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:39 am

canaan wrote:i can see where this convo is going.

shmenguin: this guy keeps shooting me
nan: you mean you dont have the infinity health codes and golden gun cheats?
shmenguin: no, i want to actually beat the game
nan: waaaaaaa?

~fin~

FU
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR