LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2016 Euros)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:51 am

Götze to Bayern in the summer.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:59 am

WDWBurghGooner wrote:Götze to Bayern in the summer.

I decided to simply stop watching soccer.

This just a few days after Uli Hoeneß, der König of hypocrisy, worried in the media about the lack of competitiveness in the Bundesliga. Welp, at least Bayern found a very effective way to deflect attention from the ongoing investigations into Hoeneß' tax evasion schemes. He is said to hide €500 million in Switzerland.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:47 am

Gaucho wrote:

This just a few days after Uli Hoeneß, der König of hypocrisy, worried in the media about the lack of competitiveness in the Bundesliga. Welp, at least Bayern found a very effective way to deflect attention from the ongoing investigations into Hoeneß' tax evasion schemes. He is said to hide €500 million in Switzerland.

I'm a newer poster so forgive me for asking but who do support? I definitely sympathize with this being an Arsenal supporter and having all of our best players bought up constantly. What's the deal with Hoeneß? Did he give himself up and is that bc he see the writing is on the wall?

I think this is worse than the typical Bayern move of buying the best Bundesliga players bc Dortmund are playing in the C.L. tomorrow and Götze is from Dortmund.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:00 am

WDWBurghGooner wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

I'm a newer poster so forgive me for asking but who do support? I definitely sympathize with this being an Arsenal supporter and having all of our best players bought up constantly. What's the deal with Hoeneß? Did he give himself up and is that bc he see the writing is on the wall?

I think this is worse than the typical Bayern move of buying the best Bundesliga players bc Dortmund are playing in the C.L. tomorrow and Götze is from Dortmund.

I'm German and support my hometown club Arminia Bielefeld, which isn't much fun most of the time.

Yes, Hoeneß gave himself up, probably hoping to be let off lightly, but it looks like he's miscalculated. As far as Götze is concerned, I should really know better by now than to be disappointed whenever a player (or coach... damn you, Pep) I like decides to sign with Bayern. Götze is a huge talent, so I certainly makes sense for Bayern to get him, it just seems like a typical Bayern stunt to break the news one day before Dortmund plays Real Madrid in the CL semifinal.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:47 am

Gaucho wrote:
WDWBurghGooner wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

I'm German and support my hometown club Arminia Bielefeld, which isn't much fun most of the time.

Yes, Hoeneß gave himself up, probably hoping to be let off lightly, but it looks like he's miscalculated. As far as Götze is concerned, I should really know better by now than to be disappointed whenever a player (or coach... damn you, Pep) I like decides to sign with Bayern. Götze is a huge talent, so I certainly makes sense for Bayern to get him, it just seems like a typical Bayern stunt to break the news one day before Dortmund plays Real Madrid in the CL semifinal.

I mainly known of Bielefeld because Rafa Honigstein, who writes for The Guardian, supports them. Am I correct in thinking that you are somewhat of a yo-yo club? I feel like a couple of seasons ago you had a pretty good first half before finishing in mid-table, could be totally wrong though.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:57 am

WDWBurghGooner wrote:I mainly known of Bielefeld because Rafa Honigstein, who writes for The Guardian, supports them. Am I correct in thinking that you are somewhat of a yo-yo club? I feel like a couple of seasons ago you had a pretty good first half before finishing in mid-table, could be totally wrong though.

I didn't know Honigstein supports Arminia, tbh. Yes, we are a yo-yo club and had a good run of five straight season in the Bundesliga, before it became apparent that we had spent above our means for years and had to sell every decent player we had. After two relegations things are looking up again.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:13 pm

I get hating on Munich, but man were they good today. They were a little fortunate to score 4 (one goal may have been offside; the 3rd goal was a result of a pretty obvious moving screen) but they were better by a mile.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:36 pm

Bayern aren't my favorite but I hate Barca way more.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 pm

I used to be a Bayer Leverkeusen fan. When they had Bernd Schneider, Carsten Ramelow, Oliver Neuville, Lucio. Diego Placente.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:50 pm

SolidSnake wrote:I used to be a Bayer Leverkeusen fan. When they had Bernd Schneider, Carsten Ramelow, Oliver Neuville, Lucio. Diego Placente.

That is awesome.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:55 pm

SolidSnake wrote:I used to be a Bayer Leverkeusen fan. When they had Bernd Schneider, Carsten Ramelow, Oliver Neuville, Lucio. Diego Placente.

That made you one of probably 15 Bayer fans outside of Leverkusen. :wink:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:05 pm

Gaucho wrote:

That made you one of probably 15 Bayer fans outside of Leverkusen. :wink:

Haha yea. Unfortunately they ran into a Real Madrid team in the 2002 Champions league final of Zidane, Figo, Roberto Carlos. :( It was a good game though I think without looking it up it was 2-1 Madrid? Zidane scored on a good volley I remember
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:08 pm

Yeah, that was a pretty great goal by Zidane.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:42 pm

What is the correct way to pronounce Bayer? Is it like the American English of buy-er or is it like the American English version of bear?

All the soccer people I hear pronounce it like buy-er but everybody in Pittsburgh says it so it sounds like bear.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:47 pm

Buyer is correct.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:04 pm

Gaucho wrote:Buyer is correct.

Thanks
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Trip McNeely on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:27 pm

Bayern also supposedly now have a deal for Lewandowski along with Gotze. Hummels will probably leave too. The Bundesligia will not be an interesting league to watch next year, thats for sure. Bayern will probably be able to field their reserves and still beat alot of teams.
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:47 pm

I say let Bayern, Real, Barca, Milan, United, City, Chelsea and whoever have their stupid Euro League and let them play to an audience of bored stuck-up champagne sipping middle class buffoons, while the rest of us plebs enojy good old, harmless domestic league football.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Trip McNeely on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:12 pm

Gaucho wrote:I say let Bayern, Real, Barca, Milan, United, City, Chelsea and whoever have their stupid Euro League and let them play to an audience of bored stuck-up champagne sipping middle class buffoons, while the rest of us plebs enojy good old, harmless domestic league football.

Its actually pretty sad what Bayern is doing and Real/Barca has done to their respective leagues. There is basically no chance any other teams in these leagues can win their domestic titles. Dortmund, being the closest competitor, might lose their three best players. In Spain, teams like Valencia and Atletico can't keep enough of their talent long enough to make a run at the big two.

The nice thing about England is there are 7-8 teams that can compete. Not necessarily win the title, but make things interesting. Same with Italy. Although the soccer may have suffered in recent years, there are multiple teams that can win any day against each other (Milan, Juve, Napoli, Fiorentina, Roma, Inter, and even Lazio).
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:22 pm

Trip McNeely wrote:
Gaucho wrote:I say let Bayern, Real, Barca, Milan, United, City, Chelsea and whoever have their stupid Euro League and let them play to an audience of bored stuck-up champagne sipping middle class buffoons, while the rest of us plebs enojy good old, harmless domestic league football.

Its actually pretty sad what Bayern is doing and Real/Barca has done to their respective leagues. There is basically no chance any other teams in these leagues can win their domestic titles. Dortmund, being the closest competitor, might lose their three best players. In Spain, teams like Valencia and Atletico can't keep enough of their talent long enough to make a run at the big two.

The nice thing about England is there are 7-8 teams that can compete. Not necessarily win the title, but make things interesting. Same with Italy. Although the soccer may have suffered in recent years, there are multiple teams that can win any day against each other (Milan, Juve, Napoli, Fiorentina, Roma, Inter, and even Lazio).

I disagree with you a little bit. In both Italy and England you do have teams that can compete on any given weekend. However, there are still only a couple of teams that can realistically win the title. In England Chelsea is actually in danger of being left in the dust. United and City have bought up plenty of talent from within the league. Just off the top of my head, Utd: RVP, Ferdinand, Rooney, Valencia, Van der Saar. City: Nasri, Toure, Adebayor, Clichy, Lescott, Barry, Milner, Tevez, Scott Sinclair (lulz). Usually, in Italy, only Inter, Juve, or Milan have a realistic shot of winning the title.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:08 pm

Lewandowski hattie. In Germany, Madrid's record reads: Won 1 Drawn 6 Lost 17
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:15 pm

Make that 4
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:38 pm

WDWBurghGooner wrote:Make that 4

Certainly can't accuse him of checking out on Dortmund :shock:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:24 pm

Trip McNeely wrote:

The gap between the top teams and the rest of the field in Germany, Spain, England, and Italy is steadily getting bigger and bigger. I'm serious about the Euro League the Big 8 proposed a few years ago. Make it happen. That way I don't ever have to pay attention to them anymore if I so chose. They can also pay for the atmosphere, who needs real fans anyway.

The UEFA did a great job of diminishing the UEFA Cup/Europa League to a point where nobody really cares anymore. Last year I watched exactly one game: the final. I miss the days when Ajax and Sparta and Dynamo Kiev were among the top teams in Europe thanks to their home-grown talent and fresh ideas.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:21 am

raphael honigstein ‏@honigstein 2m
Lewandowski has agreed deal with Bayern, Bayern bidding €25m for summer move, Dortmund holding firm for the moment.

I assume this means that Lewandowski has agreed personal terms with Bayern
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR