Crowd Wooing

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Crowd Wooing

Postby JarkkoVision on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:03 pm

It's been bugging me for a while. It needs to stop. It's annoying.
JarkkoVision
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,892
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Hiding Jagr in the basement

Re: Crowd Wooing

Postby Gaucho on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:06 pm

Wooooooooooo
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,805
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Ignoranti

Re: Crowd Wooing

Postby JarkkoVision on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:08 pm

You're not in the crowd and I can't hear text. A for effort, though.
Last edited by JarkkoVision on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JarkkoVision
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,892
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Hiding Jagr in the basement

Re: Crowd Wooing

Postby MarioLives on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:10 pm

What is the meaning behind it?
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,462
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:30 pm

Re: Crowd Wooing

Postby npv708 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:11 pm

Image
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,864
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:11 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Crowd Wooing

Postby littlemoonboot on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:28 pm

Yeah, not really cool to start wooing like you've won the damn game when you actually haven't. And then go on to lose. :thumbdown:
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,524
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:04 pm
Location: @burgyhockey

Re: Crowd Wooing

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:31 pm

littlemoonboot wrote:Yeah, not really cool to start wooing like you've won the damn game when you actually haven't. And then go on to lose. :thumbdown:


You should tell that to Reds fans, who were wooing when the Cubs were up 4-2.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,531
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Crowd Wooing

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:33 pm

I've heard (I know, TIFWIW) more than a handful of times that Mario and many of the players seriously can't stand it.

It comes over on the radio side really loud, or maybe it's just the audio from my laptop.

Most of the wooers are kids, from what I understand. They don't realize that they sound like macaws. Aside from the cacophony, it's just lame and ancient. TBH, that bothers me more than the ridiculous sound. Assuming they're creative, why can't they send the woo back to 2007 and come up with something else?
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,442
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:07 pm
Location: WIN IT FOR [insert important player here]...let's keep the list short, OK?!

Re: Crowd Wooing

Postby Kovy27 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:34 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:I've heard (I know, TIFWIW) more than a handful of times that Mario and many of the players seriously can't stand it.

It comes over on the radio side really loud, or maybe it's just the audio from my laptop.

Most of the wooers are kids, from what I understand. They don't realize that they sound like macaws. Aside from the cacophony, it's just lame and ancient. TBH, that bothers me more than the ridiculous sound. Assuming they're creative, why can't they send the woo back to 2007 and come up with something else?


From what I heard, PNC Park is kicking people out for wooing.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,706
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: Crowd Wooing

Postby champeen on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:36 pm

i watch every pens game and have literally never heard this 'wooo'-ing everyone complains about. i'm actively listening for it and i don't hear it. maybe i'm imagining something different from what it is?
champeen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:29 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Crowd Wooing

Postby FreeCandy44 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:46 pm

Isn't the Pens Blog responsible for the start of the Woo?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,828
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:55 pm
Location: Nobody Loves Me, Neither Do I...

Re: Crowd Wooing

Postby Bioshock on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:47 pm

WOOOOOOO!!!!
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,892
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:55 pm
Location: Mt. Lebanon

Re: Crowd Wooing

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:47 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:I've heard (I know, TIFWIW) more than a handful of times that Mario and many of the players seriously can't stand it.

It comes over on the radio side really loud, or maybe it's just the audio from my laptop.

Most of the wooers are kids, from what I understand. They don't realize that they sound like macaws. Aside from the cacophony, it's just lame and ancient. TBH, that bothers me more than the ridiculous sound. Assuming they're creative, why can't they send the woo back to 2007 and come up with something else?


From what I heard, PNC Park is kicking people out for wooing.


I'm all for free expression and challenging authority. Frankly, I get a kick out of prep/collegiate-level (not potty) humor, also. But if I were a fan at a Bucs game or a Pens game and I was a wooer, and I heard that the team I cheer for hated it, then I'd stop. Why? Because I want them to win. And a concerted effort like mass wooing arguably isn't having the intended effect of showing support to the object of said fan support. (Different context than booing and showing displeasure.)

I know the players are professionals and make boatloads of money. Yeah, perhaps they should be able to tune it out, and anyone who pays for their seats is entitled to woo, boo, whatever. But, other fans have paid for their seats, too, and deserve not to have their game experience ruined. Plus, if it distracts the team and annoys them enough to comment on it, then I'd simply find something else to yell.
Last edited by Lt. Dish on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,442
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:07 pm
Location: WIN IT FOR [insert important player here]...let's keep the list short, OK?!

Re: Crowd Wooing

Postby FreeCandy44 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:47 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:I've heard (I know, TIFWIW) more than a handful of times that Mario and many of the players seriously can't stand it.

It comes over on the radio side really loud, or maybe it's just the audio from my laptop.

Most of the wooers are kids, from what I understand. They don't realize that they sound like macaws. Aside from the cacophony, it's just lame and ancient. TBH, that bothers me more than the ridiculous sound. Assuming they're creative, why can't they send the woo back to 2007 and come up with something else?


From what I heard, PNC Park is kicking people out for wooing.

How can you kick out someone for wooing?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,828
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:55 pm
Location: Nobody Loves Me, Neither Do I...

Re: Crowd Wooing

Postby DelPen on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:49 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:I've heard (I know, TIFWIW) more than a handful of times that Mario and many of the players seriously can't stand it.

It comes over on the radio side really loud, or maybe it's just the audio from my laptop.

Most of the wooers are kids, from what I understand. They don't realize that they sound like macaws. Aside from the cacophony, it's just lame and ancient. TBH, that bothers me more than the ridiculous sound. Assuming they're creative, why can't they send the woo back to 2007 and come up with something else?


From what I heard, PNC Park is kicking people out for wooing.

How can you kick out someone for wooing?

Must be Terry Funk fans
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,909
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Crowd Wooing

Postby mikey287 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:50 pm

You can say woo-ing sucks, or that it's crap or that it sucks craps...it's all true...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,102
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Crowd Wooing

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:50 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:Isn't the Pens Blog responsible for the start of the Woo?


I believe so. I check out tPB, so believe me when I say that I'm not yelling at anyone to get off my lawn. But, my God, find something new and not annoying as hell.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,442
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:07 pm
Location: WIN IT FOR [insert important player here]...let's keep the list short, OK?!

Re: Crowd Wooing

Postby Bioshock on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:50 pm

Wooo'ing is the best thing ever.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,892
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:55 pm
Location: Mt. Lebanon

Re: Crowd Wooing

Postby JarkkoVision on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:55 pm

Bioshock wrote:Wooo'ing is the best thing ever.


It's not cool when you're not winning and when it goes on for half of the game. If it's annoying to a Pens fan, then it's just plain wrong.
JarkkoVision
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,892
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Hiding Jagr in the basement

Re: Crowd Wooing

Postby Shakes on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:58 pm

http://www.thepensblog.com/2010-archives/dec2010/an-impassioned-plea-to-stop-the-woo.html

Stop The In-Game Woo.

The Pens players themselves aren't a fan of it.
The coaching staff doesn't like it.
And Lemieux doesn't like it.
So just don't do it.
As C-Blog mentioned, you're turning into a Caps fan.

Due to the fact that this is happening on a nightly basis in CONSOL, the woo'ers are season-ticket holders.

To the idiots who think we've asked people to woo during games, you're an idiot, and we're in no way responsible for the wooing that takes place at games. We post pictures of Ric Flair, and that entices people to woo during hockey games? Not sure how that works. Regardless, Pens fans read this blog, and hopefully some of the woo'ers do, too, so we might as well do our part to attempt to get rid of it.

It was amusing the first couple blowout games where it was taking place.
Now it's just getting dumb.

So we're asking everyone to please stop the Woo.
If you're seated near someone who woos, stand up and embarrass them in front of the section.
You'll get a standing ovation probably.

This plea has nothing to do with what we perceive as our reputation.
We were against this before people started blaming us for it.

Stop The Woo.
Go Pens.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,907
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:27 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: Crowd Wooing

Postby Bioshock on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:02 pm

Shakes wrote:http://www.thepensblog.com/2010-archives/dec2010/an-impassioned-plea-to-stop-the-woo.html

Stop The In-Game Woo.

The Pens players themselves aren't a fan of it.
The coaching staff doesn't like it.
And Lemieux doesn't like it.
So just don't do it.
As C-Blog mentioned, you're turning into a Caps fan.

Due to the fact that this is happening on a nightly basis in CONSOL, the woo'ers are season-ticket holders.

To the idiots who think we've asked people to woo during games, you're an idiot, and we're in no way responsible for the wooing that takes place at games. We post pictures of Ric Flair, and that entices people to woo during hockey games? Not sure how that works. Regardless, Pens fans read this blog, and hopefully some of the woo'ers do, too, so we might as well do our part to attempt to get rid of it.

It was amusing the first couple blowout games where it was taking place.
Now it's just getting dumb.

So we're asking everyone to please stop the Woo.
If you're seated near someone who woos, stand up and embarrass them in front of the section.
You'll get a standing ovation probably.

This plea has nothing to do with what we perceive as our reputation.
We were against this before people started blaming us for it.

Stop The Woo.
Go Pens.

This was posted 3 years ago. Haha...
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,892
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:55 pm
Location: Mt. Lebanon

Re: Crowd Wooing

Postby JarkkoVision on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:03 pm

Bioshock wrote:
Shakes wrote:http://www.thepensblog.com/2010-archives/dec2010/an-impassioned-plea-to-stop-the-woo.html

Stop The In-Game Woo.

The Pens players themselves aren't a fan of it.
The coaching staff doesn't like it.
And Lemieux doesn't like it.
So just don't do it.
As C-Blog mentioned, you're turning into a Caps fan.

Due to the fact that this is happening on a nightly basis in CONSOL, the woo'ers are season-ticket holders.

To the idiots who think we've asked people to woo during games, you're an idiot, and we're in no way responsible for the wooing that takes place at games. We post pictures of Ric Flair, and that entices people to woo during hockey games? Not sure how that works. Regardless, Pens fans read this blog, and hopefully some of the woo'ers do, too, so we might as well do our part to attempt to get rid of it.

It was amusing the first couple blowout games where it was taking place.
Now it's just getting dumb.

So we're asking everyone to please stop the Woo.
If you're seated near someone who woos, stand up and embarrass them in front of the section.
You'll get a standing ovation probably.

This plea has nothing to do with what we perceive as our reputation.
We were against this before people started blaming us for it.

Stop The Woo.
Go Pens.

This was posted 3 years ago. Haha...


Guess we're just a bunch of caps fans. It's sad.
JarkkoVision
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,892
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Hiding Jagr in the basement

Re: Crowd Wooing

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:03 pm

Shakes wrote:http://www.thepensblog.com/2010-archives/dec2010/an-impassioned-plea-to-stop-the-woo.html

Stop The In-Game Woo.

The Pens players themselves aren't a fan of it.
The coaching staff doesn't like it.
And Lemieux doesn't like it.
So just don't do it.
As C-Blog mentioned, you're turning into a Caps fan.

Due to the fact that this is happening on a nightly basis in CONSOL, the woo'ers are season-ticket holders.

To the idiots who think we've asked people to woo during games, you're an idiot, and we're in no way responsible for the wooing that takes place at games. We post pictures of Ric Flair, and that entices people to woo during hockey games? Not sure how that works. Regardless, Pens fans read this blog, and hopefully some of the woo'ers do, too, so we might as well do our part to attempt to get rid of it.

It was amusing the first couple blowout games where it was taking place.
Now it's just getting dumb.

So we're asking everyone to please stop the Woo.
If you're seated near someone who woos, stand up and embarrass them in front of the section.
You'll get a standing ovation probably.

This plea has nothing to do with what we perceive as our reputation.
We were against this before people started blaming us for it.

Stop The Woo.
Go Pens.


Awesome! Way to go, tPB! I'm happy to stand corrected and extend my apologies to tPB staff. (I did check out the game recap of last night's Ottawa game and check it out often in times of "controversy.")

Maybe re-run the post every so often. I guess if you run it too frequently, it would just incite more wooing.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,442
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:07 pm
Location: WIN IT FOR [insert important player here]...let's keep the list short, OK?!

Re: Crowd Wooing

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:07 pm

I'd never risk being perceived as a Caps fan. I go so far as to avoid wearing red between October 1 and June 15--Christmas is the exception. 8-)
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,442
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:07 pm
Location: WIN IT FOR [insert important player here]...let's keep the list short, OK?!

Re: Crowd Wooing

Postby DocEmrick on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:09 pm

Thepensblog is apparently responsible.

I didn't even think anyone really read that anymore. It was funny for like a couple years
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,775
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:33 pm
Location: 39°6′32″N 76°46′17″W

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Beveridge, mayday56, NashvilleCat, pressure=9Pa, SolidSnake and 45 guests


e-mail