Game 46 vs. Sabres - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 46 vs. Sabres - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:56 am

Pens lose 4-2

- Pens lost in a pond hockey type affair. The Pens did not play the hard hitting north-south style that has gotten them to where they are
- A loss at this point is a good thing imho. Its a reminder that the Pens should never get away from the style that is winning. HCDB & ACTG will drive this home.
- Some of the Pens looked a little tired & slower than normal (understandable considering the recent schedule changes)
- Jeffrey, Malkin, Duper & Bennett all had great hop. Sitting some regs such as TK is a good plan (hopefully Adams, Glass get a nite in the final two games)
- Geno's skating looked amazing (as it often does when he's been off). However, it will take time for his line-mates to adjust. Geno's shot appeared "rusty" and/or hurting
- How many laps has Geno made this year w/puck in the offensive zoner? Geno had two laps last night (would make a cool video montage, but last yr he scored on them :cry: )
- PDAS understand that hands go missing on occasion, as they did last night for Pascal.
- Miller played great for the Sabres, amazing how he'll be run out of town (his attitude is mostly responsible)
- Pens could have used a spark at some point. Perhaps a fight might have sparked the team????
- Letang needs to keep his head up. That collision easily could have resulted in a far worse injury
- Eaton had a couple of flashy stick handling plays last night, apparently the offensive skill is rubbing off on him
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Game 46 vs. Sabres - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:08 am

I don't think they played that poorly. They played well in the first, Dupuis alone had several good chances. They had a rough second but were in it the whole way. The game was even the whole way and Miller stole a win. Had that "high stick" been called the other way initially, the call would have stood and who knows what would have happened.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:10 am

Miller plays horrible more than he plays great, that's why he's being run out of town. Call it good positioning or luck but his best saves were when he was already down and guys fired the puck into his chest because they threw it on net without really looking. He left the entire top half of the net open. That's why Crosby always burns him, he always gets one last look before he shoots.

Finding enough evidence to see Ott's stick was clearly below the crossbar was impossible. Several angles showed it to be impossible and from that distance you can't deflect a puck down and have it just under the bar without being above it. Kunitz got screwed last year on getting a goal waived off on an upward deflection they still called a high stick. The replay officials are bigger idiots than the on ice guys most nights

Jeffrey as a 4th line center just doesn't work. He is fine slotted in to replace top 3 lines but he doesn't have a grinder mentality. He would be a good 2nd line center on a horrible team
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:12 am

Both teams decided to not play overly physical, which clearly benefits the Sabres. No big deal. I was over the loss the monent it was over.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:13 am

At the game the pens announced their end of season awards through video... with larry richert MC.
This was done away from crowds; maybe the sponsors and players had a luncheon and then photos .
I thought the players deserved to hear a round of applause from live people as the award is given.
Penguin fans would welcome the opportunity to salute Sid as MVP and scoring leader, still, as of last night.

Flower is sharp. Jarome is getting comfy as a penguins and pittsburgher'; he of 8 shots.
Evgeni was playing both ends of the ice, but with only 1 shot, something isn't right with his shooting.
I am concerned about Brooks and his injury; was flexing, leg and hip late in the 1st. He who was choosen by his teammates' as the players' player !Good to see k letang back.

Lynching committee of lgp score one with TK out.
Players were competing till the end; a great sign.

fingers crossed for flower; heard on post game radio; if he wins last 2 games, he will have reached 250 wins as the 4th fastest goalie. Do it Flower!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:15 am

Yeah I was surprised to see them just getting announced on the jumbotron. I thought they did it at the beginning of fan appreciation night too, but thats far from certain.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Admin on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:20 am

The Penguins are 0-1 when TK is scratched.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby IntangibleBeer on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:23 am

I was at my kid's lacrosse game last night and didn't get to the Pens broadcast until it was midway thru the 3rd period. Saw that MAF was in goal last night. So was his kid born? Any updates?
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:24 am

Just 17 hits last night - I think the penguins realized there was no physical benefit to playing that style of game against the Sabres. It's a tough style to keep up, you take your rest when you can get it, and with the playoffs a week away, you don't want to get hurt - no point in playing that investment hockey against a team already out of it.

Ottawa - potential first round matchup - you make them pay.
Buffalo - golfing in may - let them skate away.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thepittman on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:26 am

What we saw last night is what happens when you add players to a team that was already in sync and knew how to play with each other. I think throwing everyone back in at the playoffs is going to end badly for the penguins.
Last edited by thepittman on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Admin on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:27 am

IntangibleBeer wrote:So was his kid born? Any updates?

No and no.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Froggy on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:28 am

I think it's more playing 3 games in 4 days with a lineup constantly in flux. Just a loss. No reason to read too much in to it.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:29 am

Buffalo recorded 1 hit in the first.

1 hit? 1 god damned hit?

You can't say god damn on the air

It doesn't matter, no ones listening anyway.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:30 am

Froggy wrote:I think it's more playing 3 games in 4 days with a lineup constantly in flux. Just a loss. No reason to read too much in to it.

And that it was a nothing game and they would have liked to escape without injuries. Unfortunately for Orpik, that may not have happened.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:34 am

Admin wrote:The Penguins are 0-1 when TK is scratched.

Well Done, Sir.

Put the Little Tiger Grinder back into the lineup!
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:35 am

- This could be a considered a "good" loss considering the timing and the aggressive schedule.
- Sabres have the Pens number. Good thing they are golfing next week.
- Is it just me or did Duper have alot of good chances, but couldn't bury them.
- Bennet once again looks like a seasoned pro.
- Geno needs surgery (IMO). Skates like a demon but just doesn't have the shot (could be rust, but shot has been missing all year).
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Shakes on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:36 am

thepittman wrote:What we saw last night is what happens when you add players to a team that was already in sync and knew how to play with each other. I think throwing everyone back in at the playoffs is going to end badly for the penguins.

Eh.

I think what we saw was the second night of back-to-backs in a game with little to play for. I'll buy that they were a bit lethargic and out-of-sync at times, but I wouldn't draw any bigger conclusions about playoff chances based on last night's game.

Also, they played well enough in the 3rd to win. A couple a big (lucky?) stops by Miller stole this one for the Sabres.

Anyway, what should they do, go with what they have and not bring back healthy players?
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shakes on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:41 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Buffalo recorded 1 hit in the first.

1 hit? 1 god damned hit?

You can't say god damn on the air

It doesn't matter, no ones listening anyway.

The post-game show is brought to you by . . . Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:50 am

-that's the best malkin has skated since he got JVR'd
-overall, we were a little loose in our own end, but got unlucky not to have potted a few more. probably should have won the game 5-4 or something.
-sweet turnover, DJ
-i love the morrow, jokinen, bennett line. i want this to be a permanent thing
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby beLIEve on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:50 am

Jeffery, who has actually been playing well lately, pretty much single handedly caused that loss. Trying that grade school deke at the opposing blue line at the end of a shift late in the 3rd in a tie game is just inexcusable. They teach that in even the lowest levels of hockey. It lead directly to the Sabres game winning goal, high stick or not. If Jeffery chips that in and either chases it or changes, we're likely talking about a shootout win this morning.
beLIEve
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitts on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:56 am

Admin wrote:

No and no.

From my understanding, she was born on Monday evening ... Estelle Fleury. At least that's what i saw somewhere.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:57 am

I just said it yesterday in another thread...the thing that's keeping Jeffrey from being a regular on the bottom line is his defensive and neutral zone mistakes. He makes way too many of them to play capable bottom-6 minutes in the NHL. It's really too bad...if he could just simplify his transition game, he'd be a great versatile bottom line player. :?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slipshod on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:58 am

There was a bit of an "all star game" mentality to hitting last night. That's fine. No need to beat yourselves up before the playoffs begin so why do it?
slipshod
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby IntangibleBeer on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:03 am

Pitts wrote:
Admin wrote:

No and no.

From my understanding, she was born on Monday evening ... Estelle Fleury. At least that's what i saw somewhere.

Thanks. Can't imagine having to play with that hanging over me.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thepittman on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:04 am

Shakes wrote:
thepittman wrote:What we saw last night is what happens when you add players to a team that was already in sync and knew how to play with each other. I think throwing everyone back in at the playoffs is going to end badly for the penguins.

Eh.

I think what we saw was the second night of back-to-backs in a game with little to play for. I'll buy that they were a bit lethargic and out-of-sync at times, but I wouldn't draw any bigger conclusions about playoff chances based on last night's game.

Also, they played well enough in the 3rd to win. A couple a big (lucky?) stops by Miller stole this one for the Sabres.

Anyway, what should they do, go with what they have and not bring back healthy players?

They should already be back in the lineup if they are capable, if the are not capable then that is a different story. Getting a new team to gel in the playoffs may prove to be a disaster, but there isn't a right answer to this question. It might be a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of thing.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins