Honeymoon over for J Staal?

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Honeymoon over for J Staal?

Postby Admin on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:44 am

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Honeymoon over for J Staal?

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:51 am

Wake up Sher.......
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: "Whatcha you be smokin' cuz? you guys aren't nothing but hoopty"

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:07 pm

Dude got what he wanted. I'm not at all surprised he's struggling, although I can't explain exactly how I'm not surprised.

He'd never say he regrets his decision, but I'd be surprised if deep down he didn't. And, imo, he should.

I don't resent him for wanting to play with his brother, but I thought it was a stupid decision then and it's playing out to be a stupid decision now. I don't think he really thought it all through.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:14 pm

Last I cared enough to talk about him, people were telling me that he was looking good there even though he looked invisible. Lets be honest though, the Pens weren't keeping him if he didn't sign for like $5 million or less and he was able to make significantly more than that. I don't hold any ill will to him for leaving or for not signing the contract Shero offered him, but I also don't care what happens to him the rest of his career. He's not a guy that's affecting the overall NHL, so it doesn't matter to me if he becomes a 30-40 player or remains a 25-25 player.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:45 pm

The Canes have recalled Jared Staal, expected to debut Thursday.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Beveridge on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:48 pm

I'm with Idoit...

However, I will stand and cheer for his video board tribute this Saturday night.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IanMoran on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:09 pm

No ill will towards Jordan, but he clearly got undeserved hype because of name imo
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IanMoran on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:10 pm

Gaucho wrote:The Canes have recalled Jared Staal, expected to debut Thursday.

What a gimmick / a joke. He doesn't deserve it
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:14 pm

IanMoran wrote:

Massive understatement. He's a complete scrub.
Dickie Dunn
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:18 pm

This is the last couple weeks of Jared Staal's NHL contract and it's unlikely he's going to get another one I think...so basically, this is only chance to play in the NHL with his brothers...it's nepotism and all that, but I'm alright with it really...how cool must that be...

Carolina has a way of keeping people in the organization, it really is a family there as far as I know, and this is just more of the same. Like it or lump it, it's a nice gesture. This is probably the only chance he'll ever get...I hope he gets a hat trick.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:20 pm

If he put his name to paper, he'd be playing in pittsburgh for $6m per year. He signed the exact same contract in Carolina that Shero offered him.

Players always struggle after they sign for big bucks. I don't think he's going to suddenly blossom into a 40 goal guy, but he'll find his way in Carolina. That team always has big up and down years.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IanMoran on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:25 pm

mikey287 wrote:This is the last couple weeks of Jared Staal's NHL contract and it's unlikely he's going to get another one I think...so basically, this is only chance to play in the NHL with his brothers...it's nepotism and all that, but I'm alright with it really...how cool must that be...

Carolina has a way of keeping people in the organization, it really is a family there as far as I know, and this is just more of the same. Like it or lump it, it's a nice gesture. This is probably the only chance he'll ever get...I hope he gets a hat trick.

Sorry, there's guys who deserve NHL experience (and could actually benefit from it) more than him... who are being robbed so he can play with his brothers. If I was him I wouldn't want to be part of the gimmick

Different opinions though

Pens never played Andrew Orpik, and I'm sure it would have been cool for him too
Last edited by IanMoran on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JS© on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:25 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
IanMoran wrote:

borderline AHLer at best. There were quite a few when he played in Florida (ECHL) where Jared was a healthy scratch.

If it was only Eric in Carolina, this recall doesn't happen.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:30 pm

IanMoran wrote:
mikey287 wrote:This is the last couple weeks of Jared Staal's NHL contract and it's unlikely he's going to get another one I think...so basically, this is only chance to play in the NHL with his brothers...it's nepotism and all that, but I'm alright with it really...how cool must that be...

Sorry, there's guys who deserve NHL experience (and could actually benefit from it) more than him... who are being robbed so he can play with his brothers. If I was him I wouldn't want to be part of the gimmick

the canes don't need to call anyone up so they aren't choosing him over some prospect. he's taking the place of Tim Wallace, who is probably happy to give the kid a nice memory and would benefit from more playing time about as much as i would. and the canes get warm fuzzy points, which doesn't exactly hurt things.

holy bizarre outrage batman
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:30 pm

JS© wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:
IanMoran wrote:

borderline AHLer at best. There were quite a few when he played in Florida (ECHL) where Jared was a healthy scratch.

If it was only Eric in Carolina, this recall doesn't happen.

He belongs in the ECHL with Colby Armstrong's brother.

Spoiler:
Colby Armstrong also belongs in the ECHL with his brother.
Dickie Dunn
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:32 pm

So

First games in NHL + plays Pens on Saturday + Flower in net = Jared is getting a goal Saturday night.

Grats to him.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:33 pm

Think of it as an investment in Eric and Jordan, not Jared.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:34 pm

Staalenfreude?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby IanMoran on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:36 pm

shmenguin wrote:
IanMoran wrote:

the canes don't need to call anyone up so they aren't choosing him over some prospect. he's taking the place of Tim Wallace, who is probably happy to give the kid a nice memory and would benefit from more playing time about as much as i would. and the canes get warm fuzzy points, which doesn't exactly hurt things.

Lol, not outrage. Like I said, I understand the arguments for it, but I find it to be kind of embarrassing. O well, its just an opinion thing
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:38 pm

It seems like a harmless gesture.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:41 pm

Beveridge wrote:I'm with Idoit...

However, I will stand and cheer for his video board tribute this Saturday night.

I'll never forget his positive contributions, and if I were there, then I'd stand and cheer him, too. He had some amazing times here (understating a bit).

I'll just have another beer for him from afar. :wink:
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:41 pm

shmenguin wrote:
IanMoran wrote:

I'm sure Tim Wallace would rather finish out the season in the NHL and collect $28,000 over the next four days than give the crappiest Staal brother a warm fuzzy feeling. He's not stupid. He knows he sucks. He knows why he's getting called up, and it has absolutely nothing to do with his lack of talent.
Dickie Dunn
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:43 pm

pcm wrote:Think of it as an investment in Eric and Jordan, not Jared.

How? Those two are signed through 2016 and 2023. Are they going to pout and demand to be traded if the Hurricanes don't call up their hack brother?
Dickie Dunn
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:47 pm

lol
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:47 pm

Who said Tim Wallace isn't still on the NHL roster?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to NPR