Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby canaan on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:41 am

SHAQ FU?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:46 am

canaan wrote:SHAQ FU?

Excellent game.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:48 am

newarenanow wrote:
canaan wrote:SHAQ FU?

Excellent game.

Spoiler:
Blood Mode (At the options screen)
A - B - C - C - B - A
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:51 am

newarenanow wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
newarenanow wrote:Played Metroid again for a little bit. Beat the boss in Sector 3. Now I'm in Sector 2, just pretty much started. Have 32 missles, 3 charge parts, 5 energy parts, 2 energy tanks, and have up to the Varia suit started. Decent game so far. Controls are a little tough at first, but after a while, you get used to them.

I've hit a dead end in my game of original metroid. I think i gotta just start shooting and bombing everywhere to try and find some hidden rooms.

Where are you stuck?

2 energy packs
a bunch of missles
the freeze gun

i beat that kraid guy...probably a little earlier than i was supposed to since i don't have any suit upgrades and my latest weapon is the freeze gun. do i have to beat another boss to get past the one part with the two statue thingies with the lava underneath?

jesus...explanations of where you are in metroid must be what schizophrenics hear in there heads.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:57 am

shmenguin wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
newarenanow wrote:Played Metroid again for a little bit. Beat the boss in Sector 3. Now I'm in Sector 2, just pretty much started. Have 32 missles, 3 charge parts, 5 energy parts, 2 energy tanks, and have up to the Varia suit started. Decent game so far. Controls are a little tough at first, but after a while, you get used to them.

I've hit a dead end in my game of original metroid. I think i gotta just start shooting and bombing everywhere to try and find some hidden rooms.

Where are you stuck?

2 energy packs
a bunch of missles
the freeze gun

i beat that kraid guy...probably a little earlier than i was supposed to since i don't have any suit upgrades and my latest weapon is the freeze gun. do i have to beat another boss to get past the one part with the two statue thingies with the lava underneath?

jesus...explanations of where you are in metroid must be what schizophrenics hear in there heads.

Yes, you have to find and beat Ridley. You probably need to find a few other items as well. Since it's an open world, it's kind of hard to explain where to go. You'll probably have to find a map online to get to Ridley.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:20 am

newarenanow wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

Where are you stuck?

2 energy packs
a bunch of missles
the freeze gun

Yes, you have to find and beat Ridley. You probably need to find a few other items as well. Since it's an open world, it's kind of hard to explain where to go. You'll probably have to find a map online to get to Ridley.

i'm trying to avoid getting too much help, but we'll see how long it will take for me to get fed up
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:06 pm

If NHL 14 doesn't have a free hockey puck, then I won't get it.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:50 pm

I’ve attempted a couple of unmanned missions to Eve (the equivalent of Venus) in Kerbal Space Program. I don’t know how I would do it without a plugin called Protractor (http://kerbalspaceport.com/protractor-for-ksp-0-18/). In order to transfer from one planet to another, not only must the two planets be at certain angles to one another (the phase angle, or θ), but you have to make the transfer burn at a certain angle to your orbit (the ejection angle, or ψ). Protractor calculates those angles and sets the display so that the time to make the burn is when both numbers are at zero. It’s called Protractor because if you don’t have the plugin, you actually have to hold a protractor up to the screen to calculate θ and ψ. Protractor will get you in the general neighborhood of the other planet, you will still need to set some maneuver nodes along the way and fiddle with burning normal, anti-normal, radial in, and radial out until you get an encounter with the planet. The first time I made it to Eve I didn’t have enough delta-v left to get into a polar orbit, so I only managed to map a stripe of the planet using MapSat. And my lander crashed because I was fidding with the thrust during descent. For the second mission, I had a great approach and then screwed everything up by accidentally increasing the time acceleration rather than reducing it. I ended up flying past the Eve encounter entirely. Oops.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thepittman on Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:24 pm

Shyster wrote:I’ve attempted a couple of unmanned missions to Eve (the equivalent of Venus) in Kerbal Space Program. I don’t know how I would do it without a plugin called Protractor (http://kerbalspaceport.com/protractor-for-ksp-0-18/). In order to transfer from one planet to another, not only must the two planets be at certain angles to one another (the phase angle, or θ), but you have to make the transfer burn at a certain angle to your orbit (the ejection angle, or ψ). Protractor calculates those angles and sets the display so that the time to make the burn is when both numbers are at zero. It’s called Protractor because if you don’t have the plugin, you actually have to hold a protractor up to the screen to calculate θ and ψ. Protractor will get you in the general neighborhood of the other planet, you will still need to set some maneuver nodes along the way and fiddle with burning normal, anti-normal, radial in, and radial out until you get an encounter with the planet. The first time I made it to Eve I didn’t have enough delta-v left to get into a polar orbit, so I only managed to map a stripe of the planet using MapSat. And my lander crashed because I was fidding with the thrust during descent. For the second mission, I had a great approach and then screwed everything up by accidentally increasing the time acceleration rather than reducing it. I ended up flying past the Eve encounter entirely. Oops.

You don't save load back to a previous point?
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shyster on Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:46 pm

thepittman wrote:You don't save load back to a previous point?

I actually didn’t realize KSP had quicksave/quickload functionality until I had been playing it for weeks. :oops: Even now, I still mostly prefer to treat the game as being set to “permadeath” mode.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:21 pm

newarenanow wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

Where are you stuck?

2 energy packs
a bunch of missles
the freeze gun

Ok I quit. I saw a walk through on youtube and about 99.99% of the rest of the game is finding random secret spots to drop bombs. Boooo, metroid programmers. Boo.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:55 am

I saw something brief about "Remember Me" yesterday, looked interesting. Anyone see anything about it?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:24 am

Got the Super Speed Burst in Metroid Other M. That thing is pretty cool. Enjoying the game so far.

Agree with twc though on the controls. I was fighting 2 bad guys and at a point, they get charged up and only a missle shot turns them vulnerable again. You switch to first person view, and by that time, they are jumping all around, and by the time you find them, they jump on you with an overblast move. Just frustrating because you can't move and it is difficult going from first to third person in fast battles.

But overall, decent game.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:35 am

Wait, it switches from first to third person and back? That sounds unplayable.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:36 am

Watched a trailer from a game called "The Evil within" from Bethesda. Looked really weird.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:04 pm

Made it again to Eve last night, and this time I put the probe down properly and also angled the satellite with the ISA MapSat dish into polar orbit. It takes a lot of delta-v to change orbital inclination, but a big fuel tank coupled with a pair of fuel-efficient atomic engines meant I had enough to do it. To make sure I had enough fuel left, I upsized the lifter I used for launch back on Kerbin so that it still had enough fuel left to also perform the transfer burn for Eve (it took about 1,000 m/s of delta-v). Also, the atomic engines have very low thrust, and even with two of them pushing a pretty small ship, the transfer burn takes a long time. I think it’s better to do that burn with something more vigorous.

Eve is very… purple. The land is purple, the sky is pink/purple/blue, the scattered lakes that certainly aren’t full of water also seem to be purple. It would be possible to land Kerbals on Eve, but it won’t be easy to get them back off. The atmosphere is way thinker than Kerbin’s and it also extends out to 90 km, so the atmospheric drag for a launch would be tremendous. I’d have to land something equivalent to a heavy-lift rocket to have any prayer of getting back into orbit. Hmm….
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:18 pm

I feel achievement reading Shyster's accomplishments.

I am over here like **** yea, got to Eve. Next stop Alpha Centauri.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:34 pm

Planets visited: 1
Moons visited: 2
Planets remaining: 5
Moons remaining: 7

Plenty left to do. :)
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:38 pm

Is there anything else to do in that game than building ships and flying? Any shootouts or what? Where's the excitement is what I'm asking. I need a gameplay video.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:57 pm

Sarcastic wrote:Is there anything else to do in that game than building ships and flying? Any shootouts or what? Where's the excitement is what I'm asking. I need a gameplay video.

Its a thinking man's game.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:59 pm

The excitement, from what I understand, comes from making a landing without blowing up.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:00 pm

MRandall25 wrote:The excitement, from what I understand, comes from making a landing without blowing up.

For me it was liftoff in the demo. After that I went back to not playing and just letting Shyster do all the work while I crack open a new beer every time he is successful.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:02 pm

Let's live this game through Shyster then.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:02 pm

I'm busy looking at a hot, live, Romanian babe anyway. Screw video games.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:03 pm

prove it
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR