Deadliest Catch

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Deadliest Catch

Postby thepittman on Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:24 pm

the wicked child wrote:I can't believe anyone gave him a loan. Certainly they saw how terrible he was on the show...

Things may not be as presented on the show.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:24 pm

Ha, I like having Elliot...sure, he gets infuriating sometimes, but I think it brings balance to the show. You can see it when he is mad, telling lies, saying things and acting like a child...it is another form of entertainment. Like a good villain on a show, you hate him but you need that sometimes.

Plus the kid has some real life drama. In real life there are annoying people and cocky people and immature people.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:27 pm

I know it is pure money grabbing...but I will be watching the pre show, the show, the post show if they still do it, recaps shows, anything...it is pathetic and I generally hate reality TV but watch all of this crap. Well, all of it besides the times when they repeat the same show and add like twitter commentary. No thanks.

I wouldnt watch it all live...but I DVR it and watch it when I have nothing better to do
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby relantel on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:34 pm

we watched last night's 9pm episode tonight. Had the other one taped from the midnight reair but the DVR found other stuff to record during the day. So the "Legend of the time Bandit" one next reairs on the overnight between Saturday and Sunday.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:42 pm

JeffDFD wrote:I know it is pure money grabbing...but I will be watching the pre show, the show, the post show if they still do it, recaps shows, anything...it is pathetic and I generally hate reality TV but watch all of this crap. Well, all of it besides the times when they repeat the same show and add like twitter commentary. No thanks.

I wouldnt watch it all live...but I DVR it and watch it when I have nothing better to do

I do the same, and I hate reality TV but this is as real as it gets. Its extremely well done. How else do you explain bascially the same thing week after week (crabs, no crabs, arguing, injuries, arguing, greenhorns suck..) being entertaining :)

relantel wrote:we watched last night's 9pm episode tonight. Had the other one taped from the midnight reair but the DVR found other stuff to record during the day. So the "Legend of the time Bandit" one next reairs on the overnight between Saturday and Sunday.

That was cool just to see how its been in their family for so long and how they basically built the boat from the ground up, plus the Hillstrandts are very likeable, but like Jeff, nothing but money grabbing, nothing we couldnt have gone without knowing. Still cool tho for the insomniacs like myself
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:31 am

I think it is just because the guys are so interesting. You could totally forget the crabbing all together. That is basically just the backdrop. Well, the stakes and pressure bring out the characters a lot more, though, but still...put those captains in a room with some beer and just have them talk...not even about crabbing - I would probably still watch it.

That is why I don't mind Elliot on the show. He is a completely different personality. A somewhat immature kid trying to grow up and learning the hard way. You see him get cocky or be a smart(butt) when the tough questions are asked or tough situations come up. You see him rationalize his bad decisions. He is not as "likeable" as the other captains, but it is also interesting (especially if you watched "The Bait" pre show) to see those more likeable veteran/older captains kind of talk to him and bring him along. It is true too with Jake Harris how they treat him. They try to talk some sense in them and lead them on to how they should be answering certain questions and acting in a certain way, but they are also hands off and realize they have to do it themselves too. Real life drama, not scripted. The whole Harris family story has been painful to watch (edited for maximum feels for sure, but still all true). From Phil getting sick and passing to how each brother handled it to the "legacy" to everything. It is still playing out.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby nocera on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:09 pm

I've never wanted anyone to fail more as a captain or as a person in general than Elliot.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:02 am

nocera wrote:I've never wanted anyone to fail more as a captain or as a person in general than Elliot.

This is exactly why he is on the show.

I don't know though, I kind of want him to suceed. Kind of feel bad for him. You can tell he is being cocky/butthole to cover up his own personal doubts about himself. He needs to "get humbled" but when he says things like "nobody ever believe in me" or things like that, you can tell he has a lot of pain he is dealing with. I would just hate to see him learn life lessons in the hardest way possible because he had it tough growing up or whatever.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:12 am

I haven't watched this show since Phil died. I actually got burnt out on it. The same is happening with Swamp People. It's like crack on TV. You do it as much as you can because it feels good but eventually the high wears off and you're looking for the next fix.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby nocera on Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:10 pm

JeffDFD wrote:
nocera wrote:I've never wanted anyone to fail more as a captain or as a person in general than Elliot.

I don't know though, I kind of want him to suceed. Kind of feel bad for him. You can tell he is being cocky/butthole to cover up his own personal doubts about himself. He needs to "get humbled" but when he says things like "nobody ever believe in me" or things like that, you can tell he has a lot of pain he is dealing with. I would just hate to see him learn life lessons in the hardest way possible because he had it tough growing up or whatever.

He does make a great villain, which is something that was lacking from the show. Doesn't make me want to see him fail any less though :)
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby viva la ben on Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:12 pm

The captain of the Seabrooke, Junior, make Capt. Keith likeable.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:12 pm

nocera wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:

He does make a great villain, which is something that was lacking from the show. Doesn't make me want to see him fail any less though :)

I get that you hate him...but can you see through his false bravado and kind of feel bad for him at the same time? Ha, the reason you hate him is the reason I kind of feel bad for him.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:13 pm

viva la ben wrote:The captain of the Seabrooke, Junior, make Capt. Keith likeable.

I am wondering what is up with this most recent episode. Do we have a little editing and creative story telling? Or is Junior really being that much of an idiot? Maybe we will see more next episode, but I have my suspicions. Junior had to know Keith would see him re-setting gear. They are right next to each other
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the wicked child on Wed May 01, 2013 9:10 am

I feel like that was all staged for TV.

Main thing to take away from last night is holy **** is Lenny lucky to still have an eye. Also, some dude from the Seabrooke took a shot in the ass.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed May 01, 2013 10:45 am

the wicked child wrote:I feel like that was all staged for TV.

Main thing to take away from last night is holy **** is Lenny lucky to still have an eye. Also, some dude from the Seabrooke took a shot in the ass.

Yeah what was up with that dudes knee? I tuned in when they were checking out x-ray's and I *thought* i heard the word infection said. I've been putting getting my knee looked at for a while and if it wasnt some infection he got and he let an injury linger like I have, I may have been scared straight to go see a doctor
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Wed May 08, 2013 8:12 pm

Man... I can't help but feel like they are staging a lot of the conflict at this point. Really disappointed in this season so far.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sun May 12, 2013 2:30 pm

I like the season so far. I guess we don't know how staged or trick editing being done, but I really dont like the Seabrooke Captain Scott that much. If he truly screwed over the Wizard, and then the next episode is teaming up with Elliott and talking bout how Blues are a 2 boat game and have to work together and all that I was pissed!
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby nocera on Mon May 13, 2013 4:56 pm

the wicked child wrote:Man... I can't help but feel like they are staging a lot of the conflict at this point. Really disappointed in this season so far.

More than any other season, conflicts are feeling very convenient. I thought they were likely staging things until I saw Junior and Johnathan Hillstrand on Mythbusters. Those guys cannot act. At all. The set-ups to each myth were incredibly cringe worthy. That put me at ease that they are being genuine on Catch.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue May 14, 2013 12:36 pm

nocera wrote:
the wicked child wrote:Man... I can't help but feel like they are staging a lot of the conflict at this point. Really disappointed in this season so far.

More than any other season, conflicts are feeling very convenient. I thought they were likely staging things until I saw Junior and Johnathan Hillstrand on Mythbusters. Those guys cannot act. At all. The set-ups to each myth were incredibly cringe worthy. That put me at ease that they are being genuine on Catch.

Even more so on After the Catch.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sat May 18, 2013 6:31 pm

Real or not, it's not particularly interesting to me. 60 minutes of Bill's son sucking yet again and Junior and Elliot fighting/making nice/whatever = snooze fest.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sun May 19, 2013 7:23 am

Edgar as captain could be interesting
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Sun May 19, 2013 9:02 am

I still like the Northwestern and the Time Bandit, but the other boats are annoying the hell out of me.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Tue May 21, 2013 9:35 pm

Junior has really become a grade A Hartnell bag.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Tue May 21, 2013 10:01 pm

Jake... holy meltdown.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Wed May 22, 2013 12:50 pm

the wicked child wrote:Junior has really become a grade A Hartnell bag.

He's rapidly falling down my list. I'm almost pulling for Elliot at this point. Wonder what will happen to Jake
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR