Official Gameday Thread Pens v Devils 4/25/13

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official Gameday Thread Pens v Devils 4/25/13

Postby MayIsForHockey on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:08 pm

Well, it ended just in time to see the Steelers' pick.
MayIsForHockey
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:19 am

Re: Official Gameday Thread Pens v Devils 4/25/13

Postby Inkio on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:08 pm

The U wrote:Iginla won't be with Malkin in the postseason so the fact that they don't gel is ok.


Yes he will...
Inkio
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:39 pm

Re: Official Gameday Thread Pens v Devils 4/25/13

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:08 pm

Also Iginla on his weak side is annoying. Especially if its known Crosby will be back.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,677
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: Official Gameday Thread Pens v Devils 4/25/13

Postby farnham16 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:10 pm

Don't think Iginla works on the left wing at all.

Dupuis Sid Iggy
Kunitz Malkin Neal
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,289
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:50 pm
Location: Trying to get to my game

Re: Official Gameday Thread Pens v Devils 4/25/13

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:12 pm

farnham16 wrote:Don't think Iginla works on the left wing at all.

Dupuis Sid Iggy
Kunitz Malkin Neal


he looks bad on the left and with Geno
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,993
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:06 pm
Location: Thunder Bay

Re: Official Gameday Thread Pens v Devils 4/25/13

Postby nocera on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:12 pm

Image
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,511
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:02 pm

Re: Official Gameday Thread Pens v Devils 4/25/13

Postby pcm on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:14 pm

Hopefully Blysma realizes this between now and Wednesday.

Or we could slot everyone in their natural position and go with:

Kunitz-Sid-Iginla
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,725
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: Official Gameday Thread Pens v Devils 4/25/13

Postby tfrizz on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:15 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:Also Iginla on his weak side is annoying. Especially if its known Crosby will be back.


But it's not "known" he'll be back. All they'll say is "he hasn't been ruled out" for game 1 of the playoffs, but that doesn't mean he'll play.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,865
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Official Gameday Thread Pens v Devils 4/25/13

Postby shmenguin on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:17 pm

i'm probably overreacting, but i hate the way the lines are shaping up. morrow-jokinen-bennett was just so impressive. i don't like breaking them up at all. and for what purpose? so sutter can move up the depth chart and both adams and glass stay in the lineup? i don't see cooke-sutter-morrow having nearly the effect that this line did. and i don't see jokinen doing anything sandwiched between the wondertwins on the 4th line.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,221
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Official Gameday Thread Pens v Devils 4/25/13

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:17 pm

tfrizz wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:Also Iginla on his weak side is annoying. Especially if its known Crosby will be back.


But it's not "known" he'll be back. All they'll say is "he hasn't been ruled out" for game 1 of the playoffs, but that doesn't mean he'll play.


He was cleared. It's an almost certainty hell be back. Even then you give Neal preference over a future HOF guy?

Even strength it's been bust all year.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,677
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: Official Gameday Thread Pens v Devils 4/25/13

Postby pens2005 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:20 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:Also Iginla on his weak side is annoying. Especially if its known Crosby will be back.


But it's not "known" he'll be back. All they'll say is "he hasn't been ruled out" for game 1 of the playoffs, but that doesn't mean he'll play.


He was cleared. It's an almost certainty hell be back. Even then you give Neal preference over a future HOF guy?

Even strength it's been bust all year.


What do you mean preference over Crosby? Meaning you shouldn't put Neal with Iginla?
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,083
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:54 pm

Re: Official Gameday Thread Pens v Devils 4/25/13

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:20 pm

I agree with shmenguin too. The lines were clicking, the need to tinker sucks when were two games away from playoffs.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,677
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: Official Gameday Thread Pens v Devils 4/25/13

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:22 pm

pens2005 wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:Also Iginla on his weak side is annoying. Especially if its known Crosby will be back.


But it's not "known" he'll be back. All they'll say is "he hasn't been ruled out" for game 1 of the playoffs, but that doesn't mean he'll play.


He was cleared. It's an almost certainty hell be back. Even then you give Neal preference over a future HOF guy?

Even strength it's been bust all year.


What do you mean preference over Crosby? Meaning you shouldn't put Neal with Iginla?


As in giving Neal his 40 goal wing spot and rendering a hall of famer useless by putting him on the off wing.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,677
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: Official Gameday Thread Pens v Devils 4/25/13

Postby pcm on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:22 pm

shmenguin wrote:i'm probably overreacting, but i hate the way the lines are shaping up. morrow-jokinen-bennett was just so impressive. i don't like breaking them up at all. and for what purpose? so sutter can move up the depth chart and both adams and glass stay in the lineup? i don't see cooke-sutter-morrow having nearly the effect that this line did. and i don't see jokinen doing anything sandwiched between the wondertwins on the 4th line.


God forbid Blysma breaks up Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis. Adding a future HOF'er to that line (who also happened to assist on Sid's most important goal of his career, and requested a trade to specifically come here and play with Sid) while balancing the rest of the lines just doesn't compute...
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,725
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: Official Gameday Thread Pens v Devils 4/25/13

Postby pens2005 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:23 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
pens2005 wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:Also Iginla on his weak side is annoying. Especially if its known Crosby will be back.


But it's not "known" he'll be back. All they'll say is "he hasn't been ruled out" for game 1 of the playoffs, but that doesn't mean he'll play.


He was cleared. It's an almost certainty hell be back. Even then you give Neal preference over a future HOF guy?

Even strength it's been bust all year.


What do you mean preference over Crosby? Meaning you shouldn't put Neal with Iginla?


As in giving Neal his 40 goal wing spot and rendering a hall of famer useless by putting him on the off wing.


Gotcha...and I agree!
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,083
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:54 pm

Re: Official Gameday Thread Pens v Devils 4/25/13

Postby Inkio on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:23 pm

pcm wrote:
shmenguin wrote:i'm probably overreacting, but i hate the way the lines are shaping up. morrow-jokinen-bennett was just so impressive. i don't like breaking them up at all. and for what purpose? so sutter can move up the depth chart and both adams and glass stay in the lineup? i don't see cooke-sutter-morrow having nearly the effect that this line did. and i don't see jokinen doing anything sandwiched between the wondertwins on the 4th line.


God forbid Blysma breaks up Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis. Adding a future HOF'er to that line (who also happened to assist on Sid's most important goal of his career, and requested a trade to specifically come here and play with Sid) while balancing the rest of the lines just doesn't compute...


TRUUUUUTHHHHHH
Inkio
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:39 pm

Re: Official Gameday Thread Pens v Devils 4/25/13

Postby pcm on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:24 pm

Malkin-Neal need a guy who can muck things up and get to the net and open up space... in other words, they need Kunitz or Morrow.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,725
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: Official Gameday Thread Pens v Devils 4/25/13

Postby tfrizz on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:25 pm

pcm wrote:
shmenguin wrote:i'm probably overreacting, but i hate the way the lines are shaping up. morrow-jokinen-bennett was just so impressive. i don't like breaking them up at all. and for what purpose? so sutter can move up the depth chart and both adams and glass stay in the lineup? i don't see cooke-sutter-morrow having nearly the effect that this line did. and i don't see jokinen doing anything sandwiched between the wondertwins on the 4th line.


God forbid Blysma breaks up Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis. Adding a future HOF'er to that line (who also happened to assist on Sid's most important goal of his career, and requested a trade to specifically come here and play with Sid) while balancing the rest of the lines just doesn't compute...


I'm afraid Iggy's doing too much floating out there to work with Sid and either Kunitz or Dupuis. All three of those guys skater hard from the time they step on the ice until they stop off it.

It's not that I don't think it'd be worth a shot, even though I think it'd be a rather big failure... it's that I don't know that it's something you want to do in the playoffs. For the most part, the forwards have already looked lost these last couple guys with all the line juggling going on... and it's going to get worse as Neal and Crosby come back.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,865
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Official Gameday Thread Pens v Devils 4/25/13

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:29 pm

So...

14-87-12
10-71-18
19-36-9
24-16-27

That work?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 32,151
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Official Gameday Thread Pens v Devils 4/25/13

Postby pcm on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:33 pm

Guerin was the same way...until he played with Sid for a few games and realized that if just got open, Sid would get him the puck. Iginla's got such a nasty shot, he thinks the game at a high level, and he can most definitely find the soft spots in defensive coverage. I think he'd do wonders with Sid, and as a vet, it wouldn't take him long to figure it out.

But just because Dupuis and Kunitz have figured it out as well, doesn't mean that nobody else can. What happens when a guy like Iginla figures out how to play with Sid? My gosh, will we never know how dominant Sid could really be if he played with real all-stars, instead of just players he makes look like all-stars?
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,725
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: Official Gameday Thread Pens v Devils 4/25/13

Postby Inkio on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:33 pm

DelPen wrote:So...

14-87-12
10-71-18
19-36-9
24-16-27

That work?


Makes too much sense for HCDB to actually do.
Inkio
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:39 pm

Re: Official Gameday Thread Pens v Devils 4/25/13

Postby Steve Dave on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:35 pm

pcm wrote:Hopefully Blysma realizes this between now and Wednesday.

Or we could slot everyone in their natural position and go with:

Kunitz-Sid-Iginla
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis


This makes the most sense. Gives Crosby an elite winger and Kunitz can be a grinding third wheel. Provides Malkin's line with a gritty veteran, looked good as a line the one game this was tried. Dupuis gives 3rd line speed and a scoring threat, solid 3rd line.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 802
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: Official Gameday Thread Pens v Devils 4/25/13

Postby tfrizz on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:36 pm

pcm wrote:Guerin was the same way...until he played with Sid for a few games and realized that if just got open, Sid would get him the puck. Iginla's got such a nasty shot, he thinks the game at a high level, and he can most definitely find the soft spots in defensive coverage. I think he'd do wonders with Sid, and as a vet, it wouldn't take him long to figure it out.

But just because Dupuis and Kunitz have figured it out as well, doesn't mean that nobody else can. What happens when a guy like Iginla figures out how to play with Sid? My gosh, will we never know how dominant Sid could really be if he played with real all-stars, instead of just players he makes look like all-stars?


I'm a big believer in the thing that makes Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis work is their speed.

Something to keep in mind with Guerin is that he had 17 regular season games to get acclimated to playing with Crosby. Crosby's played a total of 0:50 since Iginla was acquired. If he didn't get hurt, I don't think there'd be any debate right now because there would've been time to find line combinations that worked.
Last edited by tfrizz on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,865
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Official Gameday Thread Pens v Devils 4/25/13

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:37 pm

Just because lines make sense doesn't mean they'll work immediately.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but getting out the pitchforks because Bylsma doesn't have the lines YOU want is just :face: worthy
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,659
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Official Gameday Thread Pens v Devils 4/25/13

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:37 pm

Steve Dave wrote:
pcm wrote:Hopefully Blysma realizes this between now and Wednesday.

Or we could slot everyone in their natural position and go with:

Kunitz-Sid-Iginla
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis


This makes the most sense. Gives Crosby an elite winger and Kunitz can be a grinding third wheel. Provides Malkin's line with a gritty veteran, looked good as a line the one game this was tried. Dupuis gives 3rd line speed and a scoring threat, solid 3rd line.



Agree with those lines. Sucks for Duper but he's versatile and will go all out one first or third line.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,677
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DesertPenguin, DudeMan2766, Geezer, Hugo Stiglitz, Kharlamov, kovyfalcon27, MalkinIsMyHomeboy, Michael Scott, Pitts, Take the Body Shoot the Puck, topshelf66 and 40 guests

e-mail