A Few Players Who Should Sit

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

A Few Players Who Should Sit

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:26 am

During this year's playoffs, there's a bit of a log jam when everyone is healthy, and tough decisions will have to be made. These decisions will directly involve three of Bylsma's favorite players, Adams, Kennedy, and Engelland. Bylsma loves these players, and I believe he won't sit them under any circumstance.

But they need to sit out if everyone is healthy. Kennedy has scored a couple of big playoff goals. That was all the way back in 2009. He has not been a good player for two years now, and he is not physical enough for 4th line duty in the playoffs. He can't kill penalties. He should sit.

Engelland will fight on occasion, and he is tough in that regard, but he is slow and not at all difficult to play against. He does not clear out the crease and his total lack of passing ability hurts the breakout. He should sit.

Adams is washed up, and not just a little bit washed up. He was done several seasons ago. I love the fact that he will give up his body to block a shot. But in the playoffs, everyone does that. He has been the de facto captain of the PK unit the past few seasons, and it was the team's undoing against Philly last spring and was not good this season. Adams should sit.

Bennett, Eaton, and Jokinen should replace these 3 players. They are better players overall, and better situational players. Jokinen is a threat to score shorthanded and is a faceoff specialist. Eaton is a PK specialist. BB could be used in the bottom six but could also be a power play specialist on the second unit.

Bylsma's three amigos offer none of those special skills. They should sit. They won't. The Pens have lost their last 3 playoff series, and I hope Bylsma realizes the new guys are hungry and better, and should play.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,593
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Kittanning

Re: A Few Players Who Should Sit

Postby Rylan on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:30 am

Stop pretending Bylsma is throwing line-ups out there based on his supposed love affair with a few players.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,838
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: A Few Players Who Should Sit

Postby columbia on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:34 am

I might have go on high blood pressure medication, if he sits Glass and Bennett & plays Iginla at LW.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,553
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: A Few Players Who Should Sit

Postby thepittman on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:47 am

I'm thinking we are going to have a dynamic roster going forward and a few different people are going to sit at times.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,087
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 3:52 pm
Location: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Re: A Few Players Who Should Sit

Postby Gaucho on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:48 am

RxBandit66 wrote:During this year's playoffs, there's a bit of a log jam when everyone is healthy, and tough decisions will have to be made. These decisions will directly involve three of Bylsma's favorite players, Adams, Kennedy, and Engelland. Bylsma loves these players...


Stopped reading there.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 39,139
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Jay Landsman's cookie jar

Re: A Few Players Who Should Sit

Postby Pitts on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:49 am

Rylan wrote:Stop pretending Bylsma is throwing line-ups out there based on his supposed love affair with a few players.

:thumb: Engo has been sitting quite a lot lately really. TK just sat the other night and Eaton has played every game he's been healthy.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,032
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: A Few Players Who Should Sit

Postby Pitts on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:52 am

Let me add that I agree with thepittman. The Pens will have the luxury of having a very dynamic roster that can be utilized based on the circumstances of the series or even a specific game. Anyone outside the top 6 should expect to sit or be ready on any given day. It is a very nice problem to have. And, I don't think any of them will (or should) have a problem with it if they get that top prize.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,032
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: A Few Players Who Should Sit

Postby NeddieVedder on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:54 am

Engelland, he of the his love affair with Bylsma, has barely played since Murray was acquired and that's only when Martin and sometimes Letang or Orpik were both hurt. The top 6 when healthy is set and he hasn't been in it for weeks. Jokinen is not going to be scratched for Adams and if anything he and Kunitz have been spotting Glass's PK minutes, seemingly to clear a path for ... Bennett to dress. :-/
Last edited by NeddieVedder on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
NeddieVedder
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:35 am

Re: A Few Players Who Should Sit

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:55 am

I don't really disagree on Kennedy. While I don't think Adams should be playing every night either, I can't definitively say that its wrong any time he's playing.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,371
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: A Few Players Who Should Sit

Postby shmenguin on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:55 am

RxBandit66 wrote:But they need to sit out if everyone is healthy. Kennedy has scored a couple of big playoff goals. That was all the way back in 2009. He has not been a good player for two years now, and he is not physical enough for 4th line duty in the playoffs.


i've been a kennedy fan, and i find your characterization to be inaccurate, but as things are, yes, he should sit. it turns out that glass is indeed the big time hitter he was thought to be. he's been wrecking people lately and should be playing.

adams' presence in the lineup is going to make me irrationally angry. as soon as our penalty kill stopped being top tier, the need for adams' contributions ended. for all his veteran leadership, not only did he fiddle while rome burned last year, he was one of the people lighting **** on fire. we have better options. he needs to go.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,136
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: A Few Players Who Should Sit

Postby NeddieVedder on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:00 am

Can't believe Bylsma said he was going to dress MacIntyre in the playoffs over Bennett because, and I quote, "you need that element of toughness in your lineup." Dan you are the worst.
NeddieVedder
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:35 am

Re: A Few Players Who Should Sit

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:01 am

Say Bagel.

Bagel.

Uh...you're the worst.



That doesn't translate well in text.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,371
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: A Few Players Who Should Sit

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:12 am

columbia wrote:I might have go on high blood pressure medication, if he sits Glass and Bennett & plays Iginla at LW.


Glass is playing better of late, but I'd be quick to give someone else a jersey if he has a few bad playoff games. BB has earned a spot IMO, and I hope he's rewarded over a player who scored a GW playoff goal in 2009. I understand playoff experience is valuable, but this team is stacked with veterans. The only way BB gets playoff experience is if he plays.

And I totally agree that Iggy needs to play his natural position. We all know what he can do there. Duper is so great and versatile that he should be moved to the opposite wing, he won't miss a beat there.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,593
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Kittanning

Re: A Few Players Who Should Sit

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:15 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I don't really disagree on Kennedy. While I don't think Adams should be playing every night either, I can't definitively say that its wrong any time he's playing.


You bring up an interesting point about maybe rotating a few guys in and out of the lineup. Keep them fresh (some of the guys are not exactly young). I'd even consider going with 7 D on occasion if one of the forwards gets injured. Sid, Geno, Duper, and even Iginla could take an extra shift or two on the 4th line.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,593
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Kittanning

Re: A Few Players Who Should Sit

Postby Defence21 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:32 am

NeddieVedder wrote:Can't believe Bylsma said he was going to dress MacIntyre in the playoffs over Bennett because, and I quote, "you need that element of toughness in your lineup." Dan you are the worst.

I haven't heard or read this quote, and truthfully, I won't believe it until I do. MacIntyre has played one game this season and has been with the team for a whopping week. He is not valued for anything other than staged fighting, which is almost non-existent in the playoffs. Bylsma is not going to dress him, nor do I currently believe he even made reference to dressing him in the playoffs.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,580
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: A Few Players Who Should Sit

Postby Beveridge on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:34 am

Defence21 wrote:
NeddieVedder wrote:Can't believe Bylsma said he was going to dress MacIntyre in the playoffs over Bennett because, and I quote, "you need that element of toughness in your lineup." Dan you are the worst.

I haven't heard or read this quote, and truthfully, I won't believe it until I do. MacIntyre has played one game this season and has been with the team for a whopping week. He is not valued for anything other than staged fighting, which is almost non-existent in the playoffs. Bylsma is not going to dress him, nor do I currently believe he even made reference to dressing him in the playoffs.


You got trolled big time there. :P
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,775
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: A Few Players Who Should Sit

Postby murphydump55 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:43 am

Beveridge wrote:
Defence21 wrote:
NeddieVedder wrote:Can't believe Bylsma said he was going to dress MacIntyre in the playoffs over Bennett because, and I quote, "you need that element of toughness in your lineup." Dan you are the worst.

I haven't heard or read this quote, and truthfully, I won't believe it until I do. MacIntyre has played one game this season and has been with the team for a whopping week. He is not valued for anything other than staged fighting, which is almost non-existent in the playoffs. Bylsma is not going to dress him, nor do I currently believe he even made reference to dressing him in the playoffs.


You got trolled big time there. :P


Huge
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,906
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:06 pm
Location: Thunder Bay

Re: A Few Players Who Should Sit

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:44 am

Don't you have to get some kind of real reaction from someone for them to be "trolled".

Bylsma retired

No, he didn't

Oooooooooh Trollllled!!!!
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,371
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: A Few Players Who Should Sit

Postby pugilist13 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:21 am

Glass, Jokinen and Adams will be the 4th line in the playoffs. No way Adams sits.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,240
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:51 pm
Location: your back yard

Re: A Few Players Who Should Sit

Postby sil on Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:28 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Don't you have to get some kind of real reaction from someone for them to be "trolled".

Bylsma retired

No, he didn't

Oooooooooh Trollllled!!!!


Yes, and minor reactions don't count either.

We should also require all trolling to be publicly announced, like when one gets served.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,296
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: A Few Players Who Should Sit

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:37 am

He was served here and here, but mostly here.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,371
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: A Few Players Who Should Sit

Postby Defence21 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:41 am

I feel so much shame.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,580
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: A Few Players Who Should Sit

Postby sil on Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:02 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:He was served here and here, but mostly here.


I was hoping someone would go there. Probably my favorite episode behind the Scientology/Tom Cruise one.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,296
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

e-mail