Game 47 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 47 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:15 am

tfrizz wrote:MAF did a great job keeping it close, but the team looks rather uninspired except for Malkin.

I didn't see much that indicated uninspired play. NJ's system tends to make it look that way, IMO. Boring hockey in general.
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:23 am

I know the game(s) are meaningless, but it would be nice to head into the playoffs with a head of steam.

This was a dull, boring game. Typical Jersey. :lol:

I don't like seeing the Pens get outshot every game, but that may be a product of systematic changes the team has made since the deadline. Mike Colligan has been writing about that, and has a new piece coming out about that today: http://thehockeywriters.com/coaching-st ... or-player/

I would have liked the ref to call tripping on that play in the third where Geno was working in the corner behind Hedberg (was it Clarkson? The Pensblog has a gif of Geno yapping at someone shortly after that play). The ref was staring at the play, no one else around, and let it go. The Debbies tied it up shortly after that.

Maybe it was good that they didn't hold on for the win, because they were largely outplayed all game.

Compete level just wasn't there.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby NashvilleCat on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:38 am

Admin wrote:
BuckintheLou wrote:Could be difficult to shift into a higher gear come next week but only time will tell.

Not a problem.

Switches will be flipped, necks will be bitten.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thepittman on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:44 am

I'm just glad that the teams that seem to have our number will be sitting it out for the playoffs.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby largegarlic on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:56 am

I'm fine with the physicality and general intensity not being as high in these meaningless games, but I am concerned a bit by some of the careless mistakes and sloppy play by the Pens. I know the Devils were clogging the neutral zone, but there were still too many unforced turnovers and missed chances to get the puck in deep. Those sort of plays don't require extra physical effort, just mental sharpness.

It also seemed like the Pens really had a chance to kill the game off when they were up 2-0, but passed up a bunch of good shooting opportunities for that one extra pass. They weren't doing this in the Buffalo game. Against Buffalo, they had plenty of shots and lots of offensive zone time, but were undone by a couple turnovers and Miller standing on his head.

I don't know if this really matters, but I'm still mentally scarred from last year and worry about any little indication that the Pens' focus and attention to detail isn't where it needs to be to win in the playoffs. Hopefully, they can get dialed in for the game on Saturday with it being fan appreciation night and the possible return of Martin and Neal to the lineup.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:03 am

the devils are always a bunch of sweethearts when they play the pens. it makes it a little harder for these guys to bring the jam when there is just no heat between the 2 teams.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:22 am

shmenguin wrote:the devils are always a bunch of sweethearts when they play the pens. it makes it a little harder for these guys to bring the jam when there is just no heat between the 2 teams.

Well why can't they bring this...

Spoiler:
Last edited by sil on Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:22 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Flipping the switch does not work well for the Pens...or any other team that I can think of.

I know, trying to be optimistic. If you want to know how I really feel, I think the team plays better without Geno but nobody wants to hear it so just pretend I didn't say it.

I would agree if you change it slightly. ".... the team plays better without a "can't shoot" Geno.....".

As for the switch, its is so true. However, they were in the right place for the hits, they just didn't do them. So its more a

than a switch.... Turn it UP
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby marek on Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:39 pm

I'll admit it ... I do not feel good heading into the playoffs after the past two games.
Toss aside the excuses.

Playing to not get hurt, resting key guys, coming back from injuries or rust...being injured in general... I don't like the idea of turning on a switch in the playoffs...don't like it at all.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:41 pm

So if the Pens come out and eat Carolina for lunch, then are we all good?
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:46 pm

marek wrote:I'll admit it ... I do not feel good heading into the playoffs after the past two games.
Toss aside the excuses.

Playing to not get hurt, resting key guys, coming back from injuries or rust...being injured in general... I don't like the idea of turning on a switch in the playoffs...don't like it at all.

I guess the Islanders, Caps, and especially Vancouver are all gonna lay an egg as well since they all lost last night and looked horrible. Vancouver got shutout. The kings have lost 2 in a row as well, probably will bet against them in the first round now.

PLEASE, losing these 2 games means absolutely nothing.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:48 pm

It definitely doesn't mean absolutely nothing. Its easy to look at them and see that they weren't suddenly sloppy though, they weren't trying. On one hand i'm concerned that they're gonna be coasting for a week+ going into the playoffs. On the other hand, they aren't really showing bad habits, just "resting".
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:56 pm

We'll see what happens tmw. I would expect them to take the final tune up fairly seriously.
DudeMan2766
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Penspal on Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:58 pm

- Ice was bad last night in NJ
- Media is reporting that Martin & Neal back for the last game, so it may not be optimal either from a team play standpoint as they will be getting their proverbial "legs" under them
- MAF's baby is going to triple OT, so we may see Tommy V (note, not tommy B) in between the pipes vs. Canes
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby marek on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:04 pm

knives of ice wrote:
marek wrote:I'll admit it ... I do not feel good heading into the playoffs after the past two games.
Toss aside the excuses.

I guess the Islanders, Caps, and especially Vancouver are all gonna lay an egg as well since they all lost last night and looked horrible. Vancouver got shutout. The kings have lost 2 in a row as well, probably will bet against them in the first round now.

Most of the teams heading into the playoffs have nothing to lose. They aren't expected to advance and some weren't even expected to make it in. Teams like that are very dangerous to face no matter how they are playing heading into the playoffs. A team expected to win or to get to the big dance - needs to be clicking on all cylinders. I'm most concerned with HCDB using players in spots which aren't natural to them.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:39 pm

Everytime Geno returns and plays we lose and dont score goals.. weird already!
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:43 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:
Admin wrote:
BuckintheLou wrote:Could be difficult to shift into a higher gear come next week but only time will tell.

Not a problem.

Switches will be flipped, necks will be bitten.

History Eternity will be made.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:48 pm

Penspal wrote:- MAF's baby is going to triple OT, so we may see Tommy V (note, not tommy B) in between the pipes vs. Canes

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/388 ... z2RbXaK14j

BABY WON'T KEEP FLEURY OUT
The birth of his first child, Estelle, will not force goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to miss a Stanley Cup playoff game. If the baby is not born before Saturday, Fleury's wife, Veronique, will have labor induced.

I'd say it's a safe bet that Vokoun starts tomorrow.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:50 pm

Hopefully she has a twin brother named Stanley.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:56 pm

Either baby Estelle was a erreur, or Flower really didn't think this through when they were planning...
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:03 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Either baby Estelle was a erreur, or Flower really didn't think this through when they were planning...

I believe Estelle was his grandmother's name and they decided to name their daughter after her.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby knives of ice on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:35 pm

marek wrote:
knives of ice wrote:
Toss aside the excuses.

Most of the teams heading into the playoffs have nothing to lose. They aren't expected to advance and some weren't even expected to make it in. Teams like that are very dangerous to face no matter how they are playing heading into the playoffs. A team expected to win or to get to the big dance - needs to be clicking on all cylinders. I'm most concerned with HCDB using players in spots which aren't natural to them.

i think the kings and vancouver have high expectations

the penguins lost 2 of their last 3 on 08 and made it to the cup finals
the penguins won last year and got knocked out in the first round.

suddently, because the penguins have lost 2 meaningless games in a row (even if they've won like 20 out of 24) they know aren't firing on all cylinders. its just a ridiculous premise
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Admin on Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:09 pm

tfrizz wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:Either baby Estelle was a erreur, or Flower really didn't think this through when they were planning...

I believe Estelle was his grandmother's name and they decided to name their daughter after her.

Not the cool name, the timing. No sleep during the playoffs.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:14 pm

Thats the first thing I thought. He'll be up all freakin night now during the playoffs.

maybe he was banking on a full season lockout
DudeMan2766
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:38 pm

Admin wrote:
tfrizz wrote:

Not the cool name, the timing. No sleep during the playoffs.

Ahh, misinterpreted the post. Seems like a lot of hockey players have kids born in late March or April... must be an off-season timing thing.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins