Kovacevic on Bylsma

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Kovacevic on Bylsma

Postby bse on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:47 am

http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacev ... oster-team

Dejan Kovacevic goes on to showcase how the Penguins have assessed an excellent roster on paper.

Of Lemieux and Burkle, he said: Will they get blamed if this team falls short?
Of Shero: Will the NHL's best general manager get blamed if this team falls short?

But then... then he really contradicts himself - and that puts his column into a shame, and makes it a really bad one.
He says: So tell me now: Why would Bylsma? "He'll still be head coach if they're swept out without a solitary W, or whatever other fatalistic scenario anyone cares to envision."

Pardon me, but if you first prove that everyone else is doing their job, and that the coach has a great roster to work with - and if, in spite of that, it all fails...

If such a situation occurs, the responsibility should be on the head coach. This is no longer a country club with EJ at the helm. There has to be pressure and accountability.
It's the only way you get results in a tough competition.

Winning isn't guaranteed - and Bylsma's job security shouldn't be either. He has all the tools to achieve a victory now.. it may not come into fruition, but you can't really make excuses in advance and ask for forgiveness before the playoffs have even started. That's just a really bad insight from Kovacevic.

Hopefully such scenario doesn't arrive at all and it's a moot point.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Kovacevic on Bylsma

Postby Nizzy on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:17 am

I'm a Bylsma hater, but you cannot go into a post season, with any team and say 'if he doesn't win the cup, he's fired.' It's just not fair. However there's no reason the Penguins shouldn't beat New York/New York/Ottawa/Toronto/Montreal for an Eastern Conference Finals birth. Even if we have 1-2 big injuries to key people, we should still get to the ECF. Even if Crosby doesn't return, we should still get to the ECF over the 5 possible teams we have to play in the first 2 rounds.

If we don't get to the ECF, Bylsma needs to go. He's a very young coach that walked into the right situation. I'm hoping he leads us to another cup this year and gains more coaching experience along the way.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bse on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:30 am

Agree, but you can't say he's safe no matter what like Kovacevic argued, either. Past three years were about the maximum I can take. Pens really need to pick it up in the postseason now.

Can't wait until wednesday
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:44 am

The problem that I hope doesn't happen is...this Penguin team, shouldn't just beat:

Rangers
Islanders
Senators
Maple Leaf
Canadians

They should borderline sweep those teams. If they are struggling in the first 2 rounds, winning in 6-7 games. They aren't winning the cup...and I'm blaming coaching before they lose.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:46 am

So it's a bad thing if we're winning series in more than 5 games?

You'd think the Pens are playing AHL teams with that kind of talk.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:53 am

I know nothing is guaranteed no matter the roster but Pens need to win a few rounds this year or I definitely want DB replaced.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bse on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:53 am

Montreal will be good. Discipline is golden in the playoffs. Therrien excels at it.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IanMoran on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:55 am

I'm as big of a db supporter as there is on this board. That being said, if they lost in the first round he'd have to go
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penmyst on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:15 am

No coach is safe. Yet no coach should be fired for not meeting a mandatory round requirement.

Judgement should come based on the actual performances.

Expectations are high for this team. But these are the playoffs, and all sorts of things can (and do) happen. That's why the regular NHL season means so little in a sport like hockey.

If the Pens don't win the Cup, then determination about HCDB's job should be tied to the review of why they don't win the Cup and how they lost.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:24 am

When does it become the players fault?
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:39 am

Well its kinda hard to get rid of 20 players vs one coach.......
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:45 am

MRandall25 wrote:So it's a bad thing if we're winning series in more than 5 games?

You'd think the Pens are playing AHL teams with that kind of talk.

That's right. THEY SHOULDN'T EVEN NEED 6 GAMES TO CLEAN UP THOSE 5 TEAMS. THEY SHOULD SMACK THEM IN THE FACE.

Check the rec, check the roster. They shouldn't struggle at all until the East Finals. They need to get mean and bulldoze these teams. Even without Crosby. Thats how stacked this team is.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:45 am

If we lose in the 1st or 2nd round(maybe the 3rd), I can't see DB surviving that. This team has 4 lines that could be top 2 lines anywhere else in the NHL. If we play Chicago in the Finals and lose....I can see him getting a pass.

That being said, can we trade Dejan to Winnipeg?
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pressure=9Pa on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:28 am

round requirement doesn't work. If it's the 1960 World Series with Pittsburgh on the wrong side of it this time; where we dominate 3 games, lose close on three games, and catch bad breaks in game seven, it's hard to call for a coach's head.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:32 am

That article is borderline incoherent. What did the Pirates do to DK?
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:33 am

pressure=9Pa wrote:round requirement doesn't work. If it's the 1960 World Series with Pittsburgh on the wrong side of it this time; where we dominate 3 games, lose close on three games, and catch bad breaks in game seven, it's hard to call for a coach's head.

Not with this roster. Anything less than a least 6 games into the conference finals is unacceptable.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shakes on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:40 am

There's a comment after the column that raises some great points.

Many fans go over the top in their Bylsma hate, but he does have something to prove in the playoffs. There are big decisions he has to make that could make or break the season.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:42 am

It'sagreatdayforhockey! wrote:When does it become the players fault?

Yep, if we lose, it would Obviously be because our players aren't good enough. :face:

Ray Shero WAKE UP! :roll:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:46 am

HCDB needs to prove that he can adjust his system to the adjustments of the opponent..
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:46 am

DelPen wrote:
pressure=9Pa wrote:round requirement doesn't work. If it's the 1960 World Series with Pittsburgh on the wrong side of it this time; where we dominate 3 games, lose close on three games, and catch bad breaks in game seven, it's hard to call for a coach's head.

Not with this roster. Anything less than a least 6 games into the conference finals is unacceptable.

Talent alone is not going to win this team the cup. Was New Jersey the most talented team in the east last year? Or LA in the west? It takes more than who you have on the roster.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:47 am

pcm wrote:That article is borderline incoherent. What did the Pirates do to DK?

They are winning...so, nothing to be negative about.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:53 am

DK has gone from a decent sportswriter to pathetic hack. Must be something in the water coolers over at the Trib.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:59 am

pens_CT wrote:
DelPen wrote:

Talent alone is not going to win this team the cup. Was New Jersey the most talented team in the east last year? Or LA in the west? It takes more than who you have on the roster.

Exactly, it requires coaching that will put the players in the best position to win. This team plays so much better than anyone in the East on a regular basis. The only team that comes close is Chicago and maybe Anaheim. I expect a Cup but I know it's hard but competing well into the Conference Finals is a must this year.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:03 am

DelPen wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
DelPen wrote:

Exactly, it requires coaching that will put the players in the best position to win. This team plays so much better than anyone in the East on a regular basis. The only team that comes close is Chicago and maybe Anaheim. I expect a Cup but I know it's hard but competing well into the Conference Finals is a must this year.

The last two responses are "Spot On".

I have no idea what has gotten into DK.

As far as I'm concerned the only question mark in this organization right now is HCDB.

I always want to see people be successful. I'm hoping he surprises me and makes the 2013 Playoffs his vehicle to becoming one of the best coaches in the league.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby pcm on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:13 am

Yeah, I think Blysma comes up with ideas that are not in actuality very good. I think the past few years he's stubbornly stuck with those ideas for too long. The biggest difference I'm seeing in him this year is that he's learned to throw things out that aren't working, and try something else. Everything else about his coaching is spectacular; if he continues to learn to adapt then he does have the potential to become one of the best coaches in the league.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins