GAme 48 vs. Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

GAme 48 vs. Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:26 am

Pens win 8-3

- Pens put an ! point to the fact they are a 3rd period team. Sure, they blew another 2 goal lead, but it was not even close at the end.
- Wow, quite a return for James Neal. Tinted visor, I thought it was to dim lights, but it was lights out instead (still think he's less than 100%)
- Martin looked good in his return. He made simple plays look easy, tough plays were safe and often successful. A huge addition at the right time
- As the game wore on, the Pens got to their game. Early on there was little hitting, credit Cooke & Morrow's hits/agitation to force this into a real game mode.
- Geno's shot is not there, but his skating & back checking were evident. Sweet toe drag move on his goal.
- Jokinen addition has been soo much more than anyone thought... Yes, there are Jussi fans out there, but really, this is a "in GMRS we Trust" deal
- Watched via the Canes feed, my fav non Pens broadcasters (although one is moving to NBC - looking forward to that)
- I think we will see Sid when he's ready, or when he's needed (meaning if the Pens fall behind by 2 games or face elimination)
- Jared Staal impressed me, crappy AHL stats, but he looked good last night
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: GAme 48 vs. Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:28 am

Paul Martin didn't shoot the puck at all from the point I don't think. If he's going to play on the PP he has to release a shot now and then no matter the pain to keep the opposition honest on him.

I was not too happy after 2 periods but I have to think there was words said in the locker room because the team came out in the third totally different.

Great regular season. Lets do this.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:36 am

Fire0nice228 wrote:
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby viva la ben on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:41 am

Geno and Neal BFF
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:42 am

Nice dangle by Cooke.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:48 am

I get a real chuckle out of how people are surprised that the Pens excel so much in the third period.

When you're that deep in talent, you just wear other teams down.

I don't expect that this team will lose too many games in the third period or OT from here on out.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Luckybreak on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:18 am

-Epic 3rd made up for first two periods (was looking like another loss to a non-playoff team but they found 'the switch!).
-Dear HCDB, please leave Kunitz-Malkin-Neal alone.
-Morrow-Sutter-Cooke have been very effective and could be a game changer. The new 'best third line in hockey'?
-Bennett should have played. Poor TK is a shell of his former self, he's certainly not going out with a bang.
-Martin looked good, Despres was a little off again. Think he sits in favour of Eaton when Brooks returns and I'm OK with that as he can step in later if needed.
-MAF is making a few of those ridiculous saves, obv. getting into playoff form (and I don't mean last years form).
-Jokinen makes this team better wherever he plays, having him on the 4th will be exciting if BB gets a sniff.
-Again, Duper-Sid-Iggy not my ideal but can't wait to see it in action (I think it could ignite Iggy...)
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:32 am

Congratulations to the pens, coaches , and GM Ray Shero. 1st half of the season: A!
I have missed those "roofers" by James Neal, great to see as the team moves on.
Jussi Jokinen;10 points in 10 games, wow.
Congrats to Kristopher Letang on most points by D man. Super duper with +/-, Kunitz, et al!

The pens have to seize the home advantage they now possess. Something is off about the consol during the play-offs; 2 play-off games won on home ice in 2 series. Call me corny, but I miss the homemade banners.Only the players can make the Consol impossible for opponents.

Forget the players shirts off of their backs;~ :P I wanted GM Ray shero's daily planner during his March raid on the NHL. ;)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:37 am

I feel better about the way they ended this season compared to the last 2. 8-4 in March.
In one respect, I got edgy with the two losses to BUF and NJD because I was fearing another drop heading into the playoffs, but the CAR win was quality.
Liked all the skating and positioning. Loved the attack.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Luckybreak on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:41 am

penny lane wrote:Congratulations to the pens, coaches , and GM Ray Shero. 1st half of the season: A!
Congrats to Kristopher Letang on most points by D man. Super duper with +/-, Kunitz, et al!

The pens have to seize the home advantage they now possess. Something is off about the consol during the play-offs; 2 play-off games won on home ice in 2 series. Call me corny, but I miss the homemade banners.Only the players can make the Consol impossible for opponents.

Forget the players shirts off of their backs;~ :P I wanted GM Ray shero's daily planner during his March raid on the NHL. ;)

At times I've wondered if my speakers weren't working as the CEC's atmosphere has resembled that of a library. From all the way over in the UK I think the Consol sounded louder than ever in the third and fully believe the crowd needs to be a factor in the playoffs with home ice advantage (minus the wooos).
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:51 am

In his 1st game as a Pen I picked Jokinen in the "pick-a-Pen" thread. Havn't done it for every game since, but I got some pretty good points picking JJ. Great pickup by GMRS. Most surprising of the 4 he got, by far. Guy has talent.

BEPF
Last edited by Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:22 pm

Luckybreak wrote:
penny lane wrote:Congratulations to the pens, coaches , and GM Ray Shero. 1st half of the season: A!

At times I've wondered if my speakers weren't working as the CEC's atmosphere has resembled that of a library. From all the way over in the UK I think the Consol sounded louder than ever in the third and fully believe the crowd needs to be a factor in the playoffs with home ice advantage (minus the wooos).

I think it's been louder in the arena this year than in the past. Ironically, I think this is because the volume of media played at the rink is lower, so it doesn't overpower fans into a state of silence.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:26 pm

Definitley Letang - Eaton

Despres needs some work.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:56 pm

Nizzy wrote:Definitley Letang - Eaton

Despres needs some work.

He's missing some confidence, I think the coaching staff may have crushed his spirit whilst trying to iron the 'unsafe' moves from his game. In the long run this is good, he will be more reliable and consequently a better defenceman. He might look a little lost as the pieces fall into place, but when he combines the safe plays with his flair and swagger I see the makings of an extremely exciting player.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:02 pm

Great58 wrote:
Luckybreak wrote:

I think it's been louder in the arena this year than in the past. Ironically, I think this is because the volume of media played at the rink is lower, so it doesn't overpower fans into a state of silence.

I agree. Organic sound generated by fans appreciating the game is far better than eardrum bursting electronic coercion to 'MAKE SOME NOISE'!
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:12 pm

Got to see this one in person.

-Martin was solid, good to see him back
-Didn't notice Eaton at all, forgot he played to be honest. I really like his game with Letang
-Despres should be and will be 7/8 dman heading into playoffs and the way our blue line is with health, he'll probably see playing time
-Seeing players shy away from Murray going after puck dumps is even more noticeable in person
-Cooke and Morrow are ready to hurt things come Wednesday. Can't wait to see those 2 laying out hits on the same line
-Always been a supporter of TK and what he brings but when fully healthy he is 13th at best and even then I would question that
-The ol' 29er brought this up on the radio postgame and I agree: As good as Kunitz Sid and Dupuis are....Kunitz Malkin and Neal are better.
-I don't doubt Iggy can play LW, but he really does look uncomfortable doing it.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:21 pm

Beveridge wrote:-The ol' 29er brought this up on the radio postgame and I agree: As good as Kunitz Sid and Dupuis are....Kunitz Malkin and Neal are better.

Really says something about Kunitz doesn't it?

One of the things I like the most about hockey is how a guy like Kunitz, who's not a superstar, can be the glue that makes a world of difference.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:09 pm

Despres looks hesitant and a bit lost out there, but I was glad to see Dig Doug "comforting" him on the bench, as Steiggy mentioned last night. Great place to be for a young defenseman with all of these veterans - Murray was a team captain at Cornell.

We always talk about how when we don't notice a defensive defenseman - Eaton, Scuderi, and so on - how that is usually a good thing. However, not noticing a HOF winger isn't a good thing. Each time Iginla had the puck, I kept thinking "Oh, yeah he plays for the Pens now." My guess is that this is due to his being out of position. Hopefully, he'll get more comfortable playing on his off wing.

Jordan Staal was very physical, probably the most physical I've seen him play outside of the playoffs in 2009.

Brenden Morrow is fun to watch, and a near perfect fit on this team. I'm not sure what Faulk wanted to get back at him for - it was a good, solid, clean shoulder-to-shoulder hit, at least on Root's camera angle. I don't know what marked up his face though - Bibsy said Faulk's shoulder pads? Odd.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Bioshock on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:15 pm

Was just so impressed with Neal and Geno. Think those two are telepathic or something.

My lines going into the playoffs if everyone is healthy:

Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Morrow - Sutter - Cooke
Adams - Jussi - Kennedy/Glass
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:01 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:Paul Martin didn't shoot the puck at all from the point I don't think. If he's going to play on the PP he has to release a shot now and then no matter the pain to keep the opposition honest on him.

I was not too happy after 2 periods but I have to think there was words said in the locker room because the team came out in the third totally different.

Not this complaint again. PM made the PP hum before without releasing a ton of shots from the point. It's not his game to shoot a ton, this team has enough shooters anyway. PM is a great skater/puck distributor and with the likes of Malkin, Neal, Iginla, Letang, etc. on the PP shooting doesn't need to be a big part of manning the point. On a side note he let at least two shots go last night.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:04 pm

Luckybreak wrote:

Despres needs some work.

He's missing some confidence, I think the coaching staff may have crushed his spirit whilst trying to iron the 'unsafe' moves from his game. In the long run this is good, he will be more reliable and consequently a better defenceman. He might look a little lost as the pieces fall into place, but when he combines the safe plays with his flair and swagger I see the makings of an extremely exciting player.

:roll: at crushing his spirit. He received that bigger role due to injuries that people like you swore he was ready to take on and faltered. It's not a big deal, it's to be expected as a rookie. The rest of your post I agree with.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Great58 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:38 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
Luckybreak wrote:

Despres needs some work.

:roll: at crushing his spirit. He received that bigger role due to injuries that people like you swore he was ready to take on and faltered. It's not a big deal, it's to be expected as a rookie. The rest of your post I agree with.

Yes, I find it odd that one of the main criticisms of Byslma has been that he's not playing Despres enough, but when he does have him in the lineup and Simon faulters, this isn't seen as an indication that Dan's judgement was correct and the Despres isn't as ready as we'd all like him to be. Instead, it's a sign of DB mismanaging young talent.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby marek on Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:05 pm

I feel much better today... Good response to the previous lackluster games
Lets go pens!!!!
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Eismann on Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:10 pm

Luckybreak wrote:

Root and most US broadcasts turn the crowd down because they think the talking heads add more value to the viewers. Steiggerdope actually commented as time was winding down that the crowd was really loud and super excited for the team. He then wouldnt shut up and proceeded to talk over the crowd. Clown.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:17 pm

It's definitely something with Root. I had a CBC or TSN feed of the Habs game last week (or whenever it was) and the crowd sounded much much louder on it as opposed to Root.

However, there are times (from experience) when the crowd does sound quiet, but I'd attribute that more to the action being up and down/back and forth, not so much the crowd being terrible.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins