Kovacevic on Bylsma

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Kovacevic on Bylsma

Postby pens_CT on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:20 am

DelPen wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
DelPen wrote:
pressure=9Pa wrote:round requirement doesn't work. If it's the 1960 World Series with Pittsburgh on the wrong side of it this time; where we dominate 3 games, lose close on three games, and catch bad breaks in game seven, it's hard to call for a coach's head.

Not with this roster. Anything less than a least 6 games into the conference finals is unacceptable.

Talent alone is not going to win this team the cup. Was New Jersey the most talented team in the east last year? Or LA in the west? It takes more than who you have on the roster.

Exactly, it requires coaching that will put the players in the best position to win. This team plays so much better than anyone in the East on a regular basis. The only team that comes close is Chicago and maybe Anaheim. I expect a Cup but I know it's hard but competing well into the Conference Finals is a must this year.

Yeah coaching can help, but look at the 92-93 team that had arguably the best coach in NHL history, they still lost to an inferior team. Sometimes it just takes some luck in addition to talent and coaching to advance.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IanMoran on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:23 am

llipgh2 wrote:DK has gone from a decent sportswriter to pathetic hack. Must be something in the water coolers over at the Trib.

The trib sports reporters are an insane joke. I used to think maybe they just tolerated non-sense..... DK's transformation makes me wonder if they actively encourage the drama guys for cheap reads?
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Eismann on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:32 am

The only issue I have with the reasoning is that today is today and everyone's pretty cheery (nervousness included). If/when the exit happens, unless the Pens lose a tough series to a team that played amazing hockey (not like TB or MTL in the recent series), then the pitchforks and torches will come out and something will have to change. DB's the easiest part to remove.

I also don't get all the DK venom. Guess it's bandwagon fashionable or something. What writers do people like?
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kovy27 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:32 am

IanMoran wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:DK has gone from a decent sportswriter to pathetic hack. Must be something in the water coolers over at the Trib.

The trib sports reporters are an insane joke. I used to think maybe they just tolerated non-sense..... DK's transformation makes me wonder if they actively encourage the drama guys for cheap reads?

His actions on twitter would have got him fired in most lines of work. Trib likes drama, I guess.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:41 am

Eismann wrote:The only issue I have with the reasoning is that today is today and everyone's pretty cheery (nervousness included). If/when the exit happens, unless the Pens lose a tough series to a team that played amazing hockey (not like TB or MTL in the recent series), then the pitchforks and torches will come out and something will have to change. DB's the easiest part to remove.

I also don't get all the DK venom. Guess it's bandwagon fashionable or something. What writers do people like?

Pretty much every sports reporter from the PG is good
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:49 am

pens_CT wrote:Yeah coaching can help, but look at the 92-93 team that had arguably the best coach in NHL history, they still lost to an inferior team. Sometimes it just takes some luck in addition to talent and coaching to advance.

Which is similar to Montreal 3 years ago. If Bowman stayed after and the Pens with essentially the same core went out in the first round the next two years even with injuries in 2011 and the disgraceful way we lost in 2012 and then CP went out and added the players Shero did and he didn't perform we'll again he'd be fired too.

If this team underperforms again this year saying Bylsma is safe anyways is asinine.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:04 am

The Bylsma hate is probably the most confusing aspect of our fandom. I don't get it. I really don't.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jcgopens on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:05 am

Kovy27 wrote:
IanMoran wrote:

His actions on twitter would have got him fired in most lines of work. Trib likes drama, I guess.

I went to the practice at Southpointe on Friday and happened to look over at the gaggle of reporters who had their noses pressed up against the glass behind the goal where they all watch from. One reporter caught my eye because he wasn't watching the practice, but pacing around in the corner looking totally disinterested - it was Dejan. I also saw Rossi with his back turned to the practice talking to Phil Bourque. Phil Bourque looked like he was trying to watch practice and as soon as Rossi finally walked away, Phil hurried to the glass to watch.

It figures that 2 crack Trib reporters would appear disinterested. . I really have come to hate that Dejan has become so arrogant and doesn't ever want questioned because he is, after all, an insider and we are just mere fans.
jcgopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Great58 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:12 am

:roll:
More preemptive Bylsma hate. :scared:

I don't think the Pens need to win series in 5 games or fewer to be considered living up to their potential.
Nor do I think Bylsma has much to prove as a coaching talent. His team, despite lengthy injuries to multiple key players, was tied for most wins this season. He's won a Cup, and a Jack Adams, and lead the Pens to the playoffs despite disasterous circumstances over the past few years. I don't think losing to the 5 seed, our arch rivals, negates the good that he has done. Nor does losing a game 7 to Tampa when Aaron Asham was our most dangerous offensive option.

Pens need to win series this year, but the talk of firing Byslma at this moment is absurd.
He's not perfect, but around here he is criticized equally for doing one thing and then on another occasion for not doing that same thing, by the same people.

Kovacevic must lurk here for story ideas. This is mindless drivel since he doesn't yet have an opponent to write about for Wednesday. So look for/create the controversy within. :face:
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_srq on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:19 am

Bylsma has trouble with line combos and has in the past failed to adapt when other teams have clearly countered portions of the penguins strategy. He also does other things that drive me crazy in playoffs like leave Fleury in too long and has only 1 PP unit on for 2 min way too often (because if they don't score now your best players are tired for a few min during which momentum gained from PK swings dramatically in favor of opposing team). I'd like to at least see two PP units splitting Sid and Geno so they take less of a hit from a failed PP. IMO We need at least one of those guys on the ice right after a failed PP attempt to keep the other team from gaining momentum.

But still I would not fire the fastest coach to 300 wins in NHL history. The NHL playoffs are very difficult and luck plays a significant factor. There is very little chance that DB would be fired except in the case of a very bad sweep in round 1. If they were to lose badly in round 1 I could see him being on a short leash next year.
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:21 am

Froggy wrote:The Bylsma hate is probably the most confusing aspect of our fandom. I don't get it. I really don't.

It's not hate. Like any other aspect of this team, the HC position is evaluated by the fan base.

If someone thinks that the Pens would be a better team with a different HC, how in the world is that hate?

I'm not a DB fan. Having said that I don't hate him either.

At this stage of the game do I think HCDB should be replaced? Certainly not. If When we win the 'Cup, should he be replaced? No.

If the worst happens though and we're eliminated before the Conference Finals, you bet that I think the HC position should be the first thing that's given critical evaluation.

Is that hate? Or do HCDB supporters just like to throw that word around to be dismissive of critical evaluation of that component of your Pittsburgh Penguins organization?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:23 am

I believe the Pens will win the cup this year, however if they don't. I think it depends on not when they go out but how they go out. If they go out how they played Philly last year with chaos, no discipline and doing stupid things then I think it's time for Bylsma to go. If they go down doing their best then you cannot fault Bylsma for that.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Great58 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:27 am

Why are we talking about the aftermath of an early playoff failure now? We're the #1 seed in the East and tied for the best wins in the league. We added amazing depth at the trade deadline, and are awaiting our Captain to come back in the very near future. I don't see the point of this conversation currently.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:02 pm

I'm a huge Bylsma supporter and fan.

I'll be the first to say if we are either:

A. Eliminated in Rounds 1 or 2
B. Eliminated in any round (including the stanley cup finals) by playing the way we did vs Philly

he should be gone.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby luv66 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:03 pm

penmyst wrote:No coach is safe. Yet no coach should be fired for not meeting a mandatory round requirement.

Judgement should come based on the actual performances.

Expectations are high for this team. But these are the playoffs, and all sorts of things can (and do) happen. That's why the regular NHL season means so little in a sport like hockey.

If the Pens don't win the Cup, then determination about HCDB's job should be tied to the review of why they don't win the Cup and how they lost.

I am also a DB "hater" but I agree with this. It depends on the matter in which we lose (if we do :wink: ) If our goaltenders fail, we have bad puck luck or the opposing goalie is just lights out I wouldn't blame DB. However, I absolutely blame DB for last year. Being out coached and seemingly not being able to lead your team and keep them from completely losing their **** is the coach's fault IMO.
luv66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:10 pm

Great58 wrote:Why are we talking about the aftermath of an early playoff failure now? We're the #1 seed in the East and tied for the best wins in the league. We added amazing depth at the trade deadline, and are awaiting our Captain to come back in the very near future. I don't see the point of this conversation currently.

Because for the past 3 years he's lead us to an early exit?

I give him a pass vs Montreal, Gonchar was done, Goligoski still doesn't know what defense is, Eaton had nothing left. No Defense vs MTL
I give him a pass vs Tampa Bay, Crosby out. Malkin out. Cooke suspended.
I cannot give him a pass vs Philadelphia. It's not just losing. It was the lack of control, getting out coached, just an embarrassment.

If it happens again he has to be fired. We are talking about this, because this is an article involving Bylsma.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pensfan1989 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:16 pm

For me, it's ECF or Bylsma has to go. Simple as that.

Even the loss to Tampa was embarrassing, after being up 3-1 in the series.

Last year...well it's been discussed to death.
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:26 pm

So happy none of you are the owner or GM of this franchise.

Bylsma won me over when he completely changed the way the Pens played this year via board play, defensive zone coverages and breakout schemes. When the Pens have an off game or an off period, you can count on them to come back after the intermission or the next game and completely address issues that plagued them the previous time on the ice.

The fact that the players respond so well to this has completely changed my views on Bylsma from a year ago. If this team comes out and lays an egg come game 1, you can bet your ass Disco will have them ready to go come game 2.

If the Pens get beat in the playoffs, just gonna have to regroup again. Can't think of a better coach for this team or franchise.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Great58 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:32 pm

Nizzy wrote:
Great58 wrote:Why are we talking about the aftermath of an early playoff failure now? We're the #1 seed in the East and tied for the best wins in the league. We added amazing depth at the trade deadline, and are awaiting our Captain to come back in the very near future. I don't see the point of this conversation currently.

Because for the past 3 years he's lead us to an early exit?

I give him a pass vs Montreal, Gonchar was done, Goligoski still doesn't know what defense is, Eaton had nothing left. No Defense vs MTL
I give him a pass vs Tampa Bay, Crosby out. Malkin out. Cooke suspended.
I cannot give him a pass vs Philadelphia. It's not just losing. It was the lack of control, getting out coached, just an embarrassment.

If it happens again he has to be fired. We are talking about this, because this is an article involving Bylsma.

So you have a significant issue with only one out of the four years he's lead the team in the post season? A year that simply average goaltending could have righted the ship? No, it's not all on MAF, but it's not all on DB either. So I get why there is an article about the subject, it's Dean's job to throw everything into the fan this week until the real season starts. But not why the topic is chomped on with such fervor. Right now isn't a bad time for optimism. There will be plenty of time to harp on the negatives in the offseason if we don't win 16 games going forward, no need to spoil this time with it.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby dbizzle66 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:40 pm

HCDB is a good coach - who else would you want
dbizzle66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kaizer on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:45 pm

Nizzy wrote:The problem that I hope doesn't happen is...this Penguin team, shouldn't just beat:

Rangers
Islanders
Senators
Maple Leaf
Canadians

They should borderline sweep those teams. If they are struggling in the first 2 rounds, winning in 6-7 games. They aren't winning the cup...and I'm blaming coaching before they lose.

complete mindless nonsense.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:51 pm

Froggy wrote:The Bylsma hate is probably the most confusing aspect of our fandom. I don't get it. I really don't.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shakes on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:51 pm

dbizzle66 wrote:HCDB is a good coach - who else would you want
Spoiler:

"Kuny, you ready to ******* get on that guy? Good, 'cause you're going."

Yep, I'm ready for Wednesday.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:55 pm

I find the timing of the column to be bizarre, not the content per se. I guess he wants to be the one to say "I told you so" when/if the Pens fall short of 16 wins this spring (and summer).
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Beveridge on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:58 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:I find the timing of the column to be bizarre, not the content per se. I guess he wants to be the one to say "I told you so" when/if the Pens fall short of 16 wins this spring (and summer).

It's almost like he is poster on this board. :pop:
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins