I've heard it both ways

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

I've heard it both ways

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:03 pm

So how DO you pronounce Consol? Is it Con-saul or Con-sole? Thanks.

And while we're on the subject of pronunciation. The PA announcer, when the Pens take the ice before games, it sounds to me like he is saying "your Pittsburgh Panguins". Am I the only one who has noticed this, or is it just because I say "y'all" and you say "yinz"? :roll: :lol:

Lets Go Pens
Image

BEPF
Last edited by Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,593
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:18 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: I've heard it both ways

Postby viva la ben on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:04 pm

Con soul
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,885
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:45 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: I've heard it both ways

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:08 pm

viva la ben wrote:Con soul


Con soul. Con sole. Okay, those work. Especially since I've been saying Con saul. :roll:


BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,593
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:18 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: I've heard it both ways

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:11 pm

The new announcer.. :face:

RIP John Barbero
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,696
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:10 pm
Location: refs fault

Re: I've heard it both ways

Postby IanMoran on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:12 pm

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:So how DO you pronounce Consol? Is it Con-saul or Con-sole? Thanks.

And while we're on the subject of pronunciation. The PA announcer, when the Pens take the ice before that game, it soundt to me like he is saying "your Pittsburgh Paguins". Am I the only one who has noticed this, or is it just because I say "y'all" and you say "yinz"? :roll: :lol:

Lets Go Pens
Image

BEPF

The PA announcer is just terrible
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,836
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 am
Location: Minneapolis, via Pittsburgh

Re: I've heard it both ways

Postby DMcGrew on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:50 pm

Con-sahl
DMcGrew
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,035
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:48 pm

Re: I've heard it both ways

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:01 pm

Okay, we now have two different opinions on how to pronounce Consol. Back to where I started. :face:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,593
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:18 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: I've heard it both ways

Postby canaan on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:03 pm

DMcGrew wrote:Con-sahl

this is correct.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,475
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: I've heard it both ways

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:03 pm

IanMoran wrote:
Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:So how DO you pronounce Consol? Is it Con-saul or Con-sole? Thanks.

And while we're on the subject of pronunciation. The PA announcer, when the Pens take the ice before that game, it soundt to me like he is saying "your Pittsburgh Paguins". Am I the only one who has noticed this, or is it just because I say "y'all" and you say "yinz"? :roll: :lol:

Lets Go Pens
Image

BEPF

The PA announcer is just terrible



Agreed. I don't like the way he announces "Ca-ros-by". :roll:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,593
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:18 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: I've heard it both ways

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:05 pm

canaan wrote:
DMcGrew wrote:Con-sahl

this is correct.



This is the way I've always pronounced it. :thumb:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,593
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:18 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: I've heard it both ways

Postby Kovy27 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:13 pm

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:
IanMoran wrote:
Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:So how DO you pronounce Consol? Is it Con-saul or Con-sole? Thanks.

And while we're on the subject of pronunciation. The PA announcer, when the Pens take the ice before that game, it soundt to me like he is saying "your Pittsburgh Paguins". Am I the only one who has noticed this, or is it just because I say "y'all" and you say "yinz"? :roll: :lol:

Lets Go Pens
Image

BEPF

The PA announcer is just terrible



Agreed. I don't like the way he announces "Ca-ros-by". :roll:

BEPF


Get loud because here we go...Please welcome back your Pittsburgh Paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanguins.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,525
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: I've heard it both ways

Postby offsides on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:17 pm

canaan wrote:
DMcGrew wrote:Con-sahl

this is correct.


I worked (and retired) from Consol, and this is the way most employees say it, with emphasis on "sahl".
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,396
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: I've heard it both ways

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:21 pm

Do you say it Neil or Neal?
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,198
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 pm
Location: Squares don't fit in my circle.

Re: I've heard it both ways

Postby Jopaz on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:23 pm

I think years ago the company was the Consolidated Coal Company, and later shortened the name.
So pronounce it like you would "consolidated" and drop the last part.
Jopaz
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 794
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:56 pm

Re: I've heard it both ways

Postby Kaizer on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:23 pm

Mjolnir
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,297
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:02 am
Location: Crazy Town

Re: I've heard it both ways

Postby Beveridge on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:30 pm

No Psych reference in this thread with the title it has makes me sad face.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,153
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: I've heard it both ways

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:30 pm

Based on where the Western PA accent is typically spoken, from the back of the tongue and into the throat, I think it's easy for a Western Pennsylvanian to say "CAWN-soul." I've also heard "cawn-SOUL."

Personally, I say "con-SALL" because "Consol" is short for "consolidated." Most Americans wouldn't say "CAWN-soul-idated" or "cawn-SOUL-idated." We'd say "cawn-SALL-idated." Also, I've lost about 99% of the W. PA accent, although you can still tell where I'm from when I say certain words like "conference" (we tend to say it much like Canadians do) and "mum." I also hear "con-SALL" in ads with "unaccented" mid-Atlantic American speech.

All this to say say...yeah, what Jopaz said. (I just saw her response! :D )
Last edited by Lt. Dish on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,524
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: Following Geno on Instagram

Re: I've heard it both ways

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:32 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:Do you say it Neil or Neal?


I say "Kneel" and am taunted relentessly for it.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,524
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: Following Geno on Instagram

Re: I've heard it both ways

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:33 pm

You gotta let the A's breeeeaathe...

Image
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,198
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 pm
Location: Squares don't fit in my circle.

Re: I've heard it both ways

Postby joopen on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:35 pm

Beveridge wrote:No Psych reference in this thread with the title it has makes me sad face.


C'mon son.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,731
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:17 pm
Location: right behind you

Re: I've heard it both ways

Postby tfrizz on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:35 pm

canaan wrote:
DMcGrew wrote:Con-sahl

this is correct.


Correct. Consol Energy was originally then "Consolidated Coal Company" - Consol is short for Consolidated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consol_Energy
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,109
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: I've heard it both ways

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:46 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:Do you say it Neil or Neal?


I say "Kneel" and am taunted relentessly for it.



DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,198
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 pm
Location: Squares don't fit in my circle.

Re: I've heard it both ways

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:51 pm

IanMoran wrote:
Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:So how DO you pronounce Consol? Is it Con-saul or Con-sole? Thanks.

And while we're on the subject of pronunciation. The PA announcer, when the Pens take the ice before that game, it soundt to me like he is saying "your Pittsburgh Panguins". Am I the only one who has noticed this, or is it just because I say "y'all" and you say "yinz"? :roll: :lol:

Lets Go Pens
Image

BEPF

The PA announcer is just terrible
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,593
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:18 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: I've heard it both ways

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:51 pm

IanMoran wrote:
Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:So how DO you pronounce Consol? Is it Con-saul or Con-sole? Thanks.

And while we're on the subject of pronunciation. The PA announcer, when the Pens take the ice before that game, it soundt to me like he is saying "your Pittsburgh Panguins". Am I the only one who has noticed this, or is it just because I say "y'all" and you say "yinz"? :roll: :lol:

Lets Go Pens
Image

BEPF

The PA announcer is just terrible
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,593
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:18 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: I've heard it both ways

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:52 pm

IanMoran wrote:
Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:So how DO you pronounce Consol? Is it Con-saul or Con-sole? Thanks.

And while we're on the subject of pronunciation. The PA announcer, when the Pens take the ice before that game, it soundt to me like he is saying "your Pittsburgh Panguins". Am I the only one who has noticed this, or is it just because I say "y'all" and you say "yinz"? :roll: :lol:

Lets Go Pens
Image

BEPF

The PA announcer is just terrible
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,593
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:18 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dan H and 13 guests

e-mail