Kovacevic on Bylsma

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Kovacevic on Bylsma

Postby Bioshock on Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:59 pm

Kaizer wrote:
Nizzy wrote:The problem that I hope doesn't happen is...this Penguin team, shouldn't just beat:

Rangers
Islanders
Senators
Maple Leaf
Canadians

They should borderline sweep those teams. If they are struggling in the first 2 rounds, winning in 6-7 games. They aren't winning the cup...and I'm blaming coaching before they lose.


complete mindless nonsense.


Could not have said it better myself.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,601
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: Mt. Lebanon

Re: Kovacevic on Bylsma

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:59 pm

Froggy wrote:The Bylsma hate is probably the most confusing aspect of our fandom. I don't get it. I really don't.



Right?

All the guy has done in his coaching career is:
-win a Stanley Cup (no coach has won more than that in the last 13 years)
-become the fastest coach in history to 200 wins
-lead his team to a conference #1 seed
-gained atleast 99 points in every regular season
-win the Jack Adams for coach of the year
-currently sits in 2nd for career win% of current coaches (4th all time)

plus, judging by interviews:
-is loved by the players
-is incredibly knowledgeable about the game/strategy/tactics/etc


Oh, but he likes to change lines too much and is in love with certain players apparently and was only a 4th line grinder in the NHL so he can't relate.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,672
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:16 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: Kovacevic on Bylsma

Postby Bioshock on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:01 pm

It'sagreatdayforhockey! wrote:
Froggy wrote:The Bylsma hate is probably the most confusing aspect of our fandom. I don't get it. I really don't.



Right?

All the guy has done in his coaching career is:
-win a Stanley Cup (no coach has won more than that in the last 13 years)
-become the fastest coach in history to 200 wins
-lead his team to a conference #1 seed
-gained atleast 99 points in every regular season
-win the Jack Adams for coach of the year
-currently sits in 2nd for career win% of current coaches (4th all time)

plus, judging by interviews:
-is loved by the players
-is incredibly knowledgeable about the game/strategy/tactics/etc


Oh, but he likes to change lines too much and is in love with certain players apparently and was only a 4th line grinder in the NHL so he can't relate.


/topic
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,601
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: Mt. Lebanon

Re: Kovacevic on Bylsma

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:07 pm

Some posters think Byslma is only successful because his team is too talented not to be, which is partially true. This team could make the playoffs regardless of the coach. However, the league has other talented teams that seriously underachieve like the Rangers. I think if Bylsma was replaced we would see that he is a huge reason for the consistency-this team just flat out wins, no matter if Crosby is out, Malkin is out, or Letang is out...at the same time. Consistency...to me, that is great coaching.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,137
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:31 pm

Re: Kovacevic on Bylsma

Postby Bioshock on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:09 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Some posters think Byslma is only successful because his team is too talented not to be, which is partially true. This team could make the playoffs regardless of the coach. However, the league has other talented teams that seriously underachieve like the Rangers. I think if Bylsma was replaced we would see that he is a huge reason for the consistency-this team just flat out wins, no matter if Crosby is out, Malkin is out, or Letang is out...at the same time. Consistency...to me, that is great coaching.


The way the players respond to him and how quickly Bylsma and the coaching staff fix issues now is more than enough for me to realize he's an awesome coach.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,601
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: Mt. Lebanon

Re: Kovacevic on Bylsma

Postby dbizzle66 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:16 pm

Shakes wrote:
dbizzle66 wrote:HCDB is a good coach - who else would you want
Spoiler:


"Kuny, you ready to ******* get on that guy? Good, 'cause you're going."

Yep, I'm ready for Wednesday.


Me too. I'm so pumped ... can't freakin wait ... I really hope HCDB wins another cup
dbizzle66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 506
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:57 pm

Re: Kovacevic on Bylsma

Postby Godric on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:16 pm

Froggy wrote:The Bylsma hate is probably the most confusing aspect of our fandom. I don't get it. I really don't.


Its not hate first off, but how you can't understand that the coach might be on the hot seat after that philly debacle is hilarious
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: Kovacevic on Bylsma

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:25 pm

Who's saying that?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,660
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Kovacevic on Bylsma

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:29 pm

I don't see anyone saying he's absolved of the Flyers series.

However, saying that the Flyers series = what Dan Bylsma is as a coach is just flat out wrong.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,660
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Kovacevic on Bylsma

Postby Rylan on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:48 pm

Technically its truly only one disappointment with Crosby and Malkin in a row...
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,863
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Kovacevic on Bylsma

Postby Godric on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:48 pm

Rylan wrote:Technically its truly only one disappointment with Crosby and Malkin in a row...


The Montreal series is a mulligan?
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: Kovacevic on Bylsma

Postby Rylan on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:52 pm

If by in a row you meant in the playoffs and not consecutively then it would be 2 with them.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,863
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Kovacevic on Bylsma

Postby Godric on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:54 pm

Rylan wrote:If by in a row you meant in the playoffs and not consecutively then it would be 2 with them.


Spoiler:
Image
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: Kovacevic on Bylsma

Postby Rylan on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:56 pm

You know its sad when Obama makes a face better than yourself, and it was yourself that made it famous...
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,863
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Kovacevic on Bylsma

Postby Froggy on Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:05 pm

sometimes when i disagree with someone on this site, i look at who is on the other side of the disagreement, and i usually feel much better about the stance i've chosen.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,101
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: Kovacevic on Bylsma

Postby heshootsandscores on Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:49 pm

Any team can beat any team on a given day. Lets just watch it unfold. I believe in this team, because every player is skilled in his position and plays his role to a T. They ALL want to win the Cup as a team. Great motivation!
heshootsandscores
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,279
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:25 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: Kovacevic on Bylsma

Postby Sarcastic on Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:02 pm

Well, if you have what is likely the best roster in the league, and you still come out short, then it has to be on the coach. I haven't seen a roster this stacked in years. Nothing less than the finals is acceptable.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,286
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Kovacevic on Bylsma

Postby wondermoose on Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:48 pm

If the Pens lose and they lose because they can't stop teams from scoring, the fall guy is going to be Fleury - plain and simple. The roster cannot be argued; every hole from last year has been filled except the one in net and it's up to Fleury to figure it out. I love the guy, always have, but I definitely see this as his last shot regardless of his history.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,656
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:18 am

Re: Kovacevic on Bylsma

Postby Shakes on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:28 pm

Froggy wrote:sometimes when i disagree with someone on this site, i look at who is on the other side of the disagreement, and i usually feel much better about the stance i've chosen.


Deep thoughts...
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,839
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:27 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: Kovacevic on Bylsma

Postby Kovy27 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:34 pm

Holy ****...DK gets a vote for the Hart Trophy. He'll probably **** up and put down Ovechkin.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,189
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: Kovacevic on Bylsma

Postby Desiato on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:55 pm

If the Pens lose in the first round, I expect a big shake-up; perhaps only Crosby and Shero would be considered untouchable. I do not foresee Bylsma surviving in this scenario.

A shake-up could also result from a loss deeper in the playoffs if they Pens are completely out-classed like last spring. This team is not unbeatable, however they should give any team a *hard* fight if they are eliminated.

Despite my earlier criticism of Bylsma, I give him full credit for the adjustments made the the breakout, forecheck and defense. There's no reason why this team should not have a successful run. If they go down, it must be an epic series.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 875
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:28 pm

Re: Kovacevic on Bylsma

Postby Rylan on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:01 pm

The Pens after the first quarter of the season have been consistently strong. They have had only a couple games where there seemed to be a lack of interest, but on the whole they have been dominant. I expect that trend to continue. That said, a hot goalie and a good defensive system can steal the Pens thunder and we as fans have to recognize that the Pens will be playing other teams. These other teams are also looking to win 16 games. In the event of a loss, there has to be proper evaluation and not a reactionary ZOMG TEH PENS LOST FIRE EVERYONE reactions. That is silly.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,863
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Kovacevic on Bylsma

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:42 pm

I stopped reading after the first word of the thread title, but felt the need to come in here and post this. Carry on.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,549
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Kovacevic on Bylsma

Postby ScottishPenguin on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:42 pm

Sucks to be the head coach of a team like this. When the team wins it's because of the skill of the players, when they lose it's because of the ineptitude of the coach.

Bylsma does things that make me scratch my head sometimes. There are nights he seems to choose his combinations by picking numbers out of a hat whenever its time for a line change, and icing the puck every three minutes gets old fast, but the results aren't too bad. Hard to argue with his regular season success, especially in 10/11 when he got us to the playoffs with half-seasons from Sid, Geno and Staal, but the postseason hasn't been good to him...I sometimes wonder if he'd be better placed working with teams that are rebuilding and aiming to get into the playoffs rather than inevitably making the playoffs and aiming to win them.
ScottishPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:39 pm

Re: Kovacevic on Bylsma

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:49 pm

What has he done to show that he'd be of use to a team that is rebuilding?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,549
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

e-mail